Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I'm a bad who thinks Sumday was best, but I will listen to whatever of that dude's that's on the stereo.

(I really need to get his solo records)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

forget about ur worries and ur strife

Oh poo poo, the UO sales are always pretty good. Quality of the records themselves are all over the place, but it was hard as hell not to drop $100 last time I was there. Picked up the latest Franz Ferdinand, Sleigh Bells and Neko Case records during their last clearance, saw some Hold Steadys and Santigolds there too.

Can anyone confirm that this is a widespread thing? Nearest UO to me is a half hour away, need to make sure the trip's worth it.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
I liked it more when you guys only got snotty about people saying vinyls.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

BigFactory posted:

Which might not be any different from a non bootleg? The idea that a mainstream rock band cutting their first major label album in the early 2000's would have the clout to push for a special vinyl-only master for an extremely limited LP run seems hilarious.

I have Hot Fuss, and it is a separate master. It also has a bonus track too. So it's not too crazy.

Now what about the 11 disk seven inch version?

No Egrets
May 30, 2013

That's right, and it's an Armani.

Cemetry Gator posted:

I have Hot Fuss, and it is a separate master. It also has a bonus track too. So it's not too crazy.

Good info, thanks.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Cemetry Gator posted:

How much did you pay for it?

ShotgunWillie
Aug 30, 2005

a sexy automaton -
powered by dark
oriental magic :roboluv:

BigFactory posted:

All of the dollars. Fie! Fie!

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
Got something in the mail from good ol' Milano. In Italy!

It's a 45 with the Italian Spiderman theme!

And also the exciting Bangarang. Sorry for the crappy photos, but the writing on the right side of the labels is all in Italian and implies it's for a jukebox.

What do you guys think I should do with my damaged vinyl from my last post? I have an idea, but it's a bit destructive to the jacket.

turnip kid
May 24, 2010

Allen Wren posted:

I'm a bad who thinks Sumday was best, but I will listen to whatever of that dude's that's on the stereo.

(I really need to get his solo records)

Sumday is great. I think it's completely underrated by lots of folks.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Detective Thompson posted:

Got something in the mail from good ol' Milano. In Italy!

It's a 45 with the Italian Spiderman theme!

And also the exciting Bangarang. Sorry for the crappy photos, but the writing on the right side of the labels is all in Italian and implies it's for a jukebox.

What do you guys think I should do with my damaged vinyl from my last post? I have an idea, but it's a bit destructive to the jacket.

Where did you get this?

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

CPL593H posted:

Where did you get this?

http://italianspiderman.bandcamp.com/album/italian-spiderman-theme-bangarang

I got the last one.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Booo!

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Heh. See you later, pussycats!

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

BigFactory posted:

I got it back when it came out when I was a Freshman in college. So maybe 20 to 30 bucks. The same thing with the boxset. It was like 35 bucks.

I am not ashamed about my Hot Fuss vinyl collection. I feel like you have not heard the album until you have switched discs after every single song.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Jealous of that Italian Spiderman 45, would have bought it if I knew about it.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Cemetry Gator posted:

I got it back when it came out when I was a Freshman in college. So maybe 20 to 30 bucks. The same thing with the boxset. It was like 35 bucks.

I am not ashamed about my Hot Fuss vinyl collection. I feel like you have not heard the album until you have switched discs after every single song.

Ouch

No Egrets
May 30, 2013

Sunday funday

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

The first time I saw the cover of Purple Rain, I thought those were vegetables on the sides of it for a second or two. I have no idea why.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

Allen Wren posted:

The first time I saw the cover of Purple Rain, I thought those were vegetables on the sides of it for a second or two. I have no idea why.

Same. It's probably more common than you think.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

My album pickup for the weekend:

Paid $15 - not bad for the regular black version.

Then I got home and opened it :cool:

RIP Johnny

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

At first glance, I read the title as Step Dads, which is really appropriate for a Johnny Winter record.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

BigFactory posted:

$10, good bargain imo.

A co-worker gave me that because he heard "I like records." It's still sitting on a shelf in my office as a gee-jaw. I can't bring myself to listen to it because man, the triple whammy of ska, reel big fish, and cherry poppin' daddies is too much for me. :(

No Egrets
May 30, 2013

So my local record store was having a Saint Patrick's Day sale on vinyl. I was flipping through the miscellaneous section when I found this gem:

Also, what are people's experiences with record store day? I've heard a few horror stories from friends.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

No Egrets posted:

So my local record store was having a Saint Patrick's Day sale on vinyl. I was flipping through the miscellaneous section when I found this gem:

Also, what are people's experiences with record store day? I've heard a few horror stories from friends.

In my opinion, it all depends on where you go. Example, in Houston Cactus Records is the people's favorite record store. It gets the majority of press and they have a constant calendar of in-store dates. Lines queue up for RSD outside that shop at ridiculously early hours and chances are the super popular stuff (rare Flaming Lips releases, Jack White stuff, something by the Arctic Monkeys) will go quickly. Furthermore, I've seen a few local grumblings that a lot of the people that camp Cactus to get in early end up flipping the stuff on eBay but I'm sure that happens all over. In contrast, Height's Vinyl will open at the same time but the lines are incredibly manageable (ten minutes until they open and there's maybe 15 people waiting outside). The caveat is that this store is relatively new and might not get everything on the list whereas Cactus manages to get everything in at least some quantity.

I've had good times at Heights Vinyl, showing up a little before 11 and buying some records and drinking free beer. Lots of stores though, you can do that on any given weekend.

Short version: RSD is what you make of it. You can set yourself up for an awful time, or take it as a fun day to maybe enjoy some live in-store music, drink beer, and hopefully buy a record or two.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

hatelull posted:

Short version: RSD is what you make of it. You can set yourself up for an awful time, or take it as a fun day to maybe enjoy some live in-store music, drink beer, and hopefully buy a record or two.

Yeah, I never understood the people who get all stressed out about it. Just go and pick up a dumb record with a bunch of weirdos.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

No Egrets posted:

Man, I seen some poo poo....

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

hatelull posted:

Replace "Cactus" with "Waterloo" and "Heights Vinyl" with "Breakaway Records" and this is basically Austin.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

RSD is always me showing up at 7 at night since I work because I'm an adult and stupid and then sifting through 500 Bruno Mars singles from three years ago that the Record Store places next to whatever big reject items are from this year.

My guess is it'll be a bunch of 311 singles.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

No Egrets posted:

Even under the best of circumstances, generally irritating. Like a pebble in your shoe.

First few times, I went to one of the largest stores in Denver. It was first come first serve. Other folks were pleasant, was able to get what I was looking for.

Since I moved to Burlington, VT I've subjected myself to the local record store which is probably 200 sq ft in size. They don't receive nearly the same amount of product as a larger store so they've implemented ways around fcfs to make it "fair". An hour before opening, they hold a lottery and hand out sheets and you write down your list in preference order. They try to pull the top three and hand the paper back with whether they were able to reserve those items for you. Then the line is let in fcfs to browse what is left over and you pick up your reservations at checkout.

Luckily my tastes are awful and I've apparently been picked early enough on the lottery so I've not been burned. However last year one guy got there at 4am, was first in line, only wanted one item (Daft Punk?) and lost in the lottery. He was pissed and I felt for him.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Dogen posted:

Replace "Cactus" with "Waterloo" and "Heights Vinyl" with "Breakaway Records" and this is basically Austin.

I haven't been to Breakaway yet, I'll need to check that out. Last time I was in your city (shortly after the Black Friday RSD) I went to End of an Ear for the first time in years. I forgot how much I enjoyed that shop.

Someone with more time motivation than me should start a Local Record Store Mega Thread, and we can compile our favorites throughout this our land of grass, cows, and Dairy Queens.

ShotgunWillie
Aug 30, 2005

a sexy automaton -