Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Our HR does that for every person leaving because invariably, someone WILL get fired and if Jack and Jill each get a "Thanks for your 5 years of service" and Bob gets a "No longer with the company" then people put 2 and 2 together.

The important thing, from HR's perspective, is to be consistent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009
And that is what I don't get. This is a big change as to how they have handled things in the past, and from my perspective, if you get the 'effective immediately, x is no longer...' that is a firing. So I now wonder if some of the other people who are no longer here really were fired or just quit. The end result is it reinforces a culture of fear, which they are putting in place in other ways to, and is making me want to :yotj:.

Merica
Jan 28, 2009
Getting told late Friday that five people start the following Monday and need accounts laptops etc.

Also getting tired of "is computer for x person ready?"

Me:I don't even have a request fir that

Oh I just sent it. They start tomorrow

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!

Merica posted:

Getting told late Friday that five people start the following Monday and need accounts laptops etc.

Also getting tired of "is computer for x person ready?"

Me:I don't even have a request fir that

Oh I just sent it. They start tomorrow

You need them first thing Monday? Well our SLA is five working days but if it is truley and emergancy we will have to have priority saturday shipping, someone will need to be onsite all day to accept the delivery and then build the machines. Late notice saturday work is double time as its the only way to get somone to work it.

So thats going to be around $200 for the shipping plus $300 for the overtime. Please supply me with your cost centre and sign off for the cost centre manager and I can get on this.

Or I think I might be able to get them to you sometime around Thursday.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Gothmog1065 posted:

I need to do a pandora station for some of this. I like new music recommendations so I'll be listening to some of this. I've already got some Kamelot and Sabaton. Should we start/join a thread in NMD?

There's a general metal thread, and black metal and metalcore thread, but none for power metal :-(

And I'm nursing a flu and a migraine right now, on top of being pissed off at Napalm Records' customer "service", so I'm not in a state to start one.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
I should read this thread more often, I thought Dick Trauma had disappeared from the ticket thread.

Congrats on your new job Dick! I'm glad to see you in a new position, one that you (hopefully) deserve and will (hopefully) keep for many years.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Those of you talking about avoiding conversations about metal should feel lucky you work somewhere where that's even a thing. My team consists mostly of christians. A mention of Gorguts or Behemoth would get me only looks of contempt and/or confusion.

For the record, I love the people I work with. They're just not the most relate-able group when it comes to non-IT stuff.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

caiman posted:

Those of you talking about avoiding conversations about metal should feel lucky you work somewhere where that's even a thing. My team consists mostly of christians. A mention of Gorguts or Behemoth would get me only looks of contempt and/or confusion.

For the record, I love the people I work with. They're just not the most relate-able group when it comes to non-IT stuff.

:spergin:

Seriously, obscure genre bands are not "non-IT stuff". People talk about guns, cars, sports, and a lot of other stuff, but I'd give you a look of contempt or confusion if you tried to talk to me about metal, and I listen to it sometimes.

I wouldn't talk to you about Boards of Canada or Death Grips or Atmosphere, either.

Part of "being relate-able" is also learning how to relate on stuff you're not necessarily interested in. It goes both ways

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

evol262 posted:

:spergin:

Seriously, obscure genre bands are not "non-IT stuff". People talk about guns, cars, sports, and a lot of other stuff, but I'd give you a look of contempt or confusion if you tried to talk to me about metal, and I listen to it sometimes.

I wouldn't talk to you about Boards of Canada or Death Grips or Atmosphere, either.

Part of "being relate-able" is also learning how to relate on stuff you're not necessarily interested in. It goes both ways

Yeah I understand that. Obscurity's not my point. Those two bands just jumped into my head. Swap them for Metallica and Black Sabbath and maybe my point would be clearer.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

SubjectVerbObject posted:

And that is what I don't get. This is a big change as to how they have handled things in the past, and from my perspective, if you get the 'effective immediately, x is no longer...' that is a firing. So I now wonder if some of the other people who are no longer here really were fired or just quit. The end result is it reinforces a culture of fear, which they are putting in place in other ways to, and is making me want to :yotj:.

At least you are getting some announcement, unless someone sends out a "it was great working with you, here is my gmail" blast email they just disappear from the org chart next time it is published.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

GOOCHY posted:

There are too many Libertarian neckbeards in IT for a union to really take off.

It works well for actors.

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

In an interstellar burst I'm back to save the universe!

lampey posted:

It works well for actors.

You know that Liberal and Libertarian are two different animals, right?

mewse
May 2, 2006

GOOCHY posted:

You know that Liberal and Libertarian are two different animals, right?

Yet primadonnas are fairly universal

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004
This doesn't piss me off but not sure where it should go but I find it loving hilarious. I am leaving my position and one of the things I did while here was setup a VMware environment. It has worked super well with 0 problems. I came in this morning (this is my last week) and found out they are migrating everything OFF OF IT.

Helpdesk manager guy is worried that nobody will be able to do anything if it goes down. I understand his concern except it is crazy to me that the solution to the problem is not to loving learn the technology for an infrastructure they spent 100k on instead they will just bring it down.

What a bunch of regressive dudes.

EDIT: The environment is 3 big big hosts and two SANs in replication. It is a nice environment but oh well.

EDIT2: There is a file server that is virtualized and its store is just a separate volume on the SAN. Instead of just connecting to that from the non VM file server, the help desk manager is manually transferring and configuring the shares. I am not going to chime in because it is kind of hosed up that they didn't even ask the best way to do it.

Demonachizer fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Mar 17, 2015

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Demonachizer posted:

This doesn't piss me off but not sure where it should go but I find it loving hilarious. I am leaving my position and one of the things I did while here was setup a VMware environment. It has worked super well with 0 problems. I came in this morning (this is my last week) and found out they are migrating everything OFF OF IT.

Helpdesk manager guy is worried that nobody will be able to do anything if it goes down. I understand his concern except it is crazy to me that the solution to the problem is not to loving learn the technology for an infrastructure they spent 100k on instead they will just bring it down.

What a bunch of regressive dudes.

EDIT: The environment is 3 big big hosts and two SANs in replication. It is a nice environment but oh well.

EDIT2: There is a file server that is virtualized and its store is just a separate volume on the SAN. Instead of just connecting to that from the non VM file server, the help desk manager is manually transferring and configuring the shares. I am not going to chime in because it is kind of hosed up that they didn't even ask the best way to do it.

So, you did your job correctly, and just because they don't understand it, they're pulling it apart, wasting even more time and money?

Well, that sure is something.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

HalloKitty posted:

So, you did your job correctly, and just because they don't understand it, they're pulling it apart, wasting even more time and money?

Well, that sure is something.

Yeah it seems so loving regressive and ignorant.

I will probably write up some cathartic vent post about this place when I leave. Best job I have ever had but also in a lot of ways one of the most crazy dysfunctional places too.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
poo poo son if they don't want it I'll take it for the home lab, jesus.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

poo poo son if they don't want it I'll take it for the home lab, jesus.

Nah it will sit and collect dust next to the database server that is to replace the current one and the database server that is to replace the database server that is to replace the current one. I think the newest one is an 8 xeon 8 core 512gb of ram monstrosity. It is currently powered off to "save it" as if it is a battery. All of our backup servers aside from a few cases sit powered off. Why should we know if there is an issue with them in advance of needing them??? who knows!

EDIT: Funny thing about the VMware environment. I was asked to draw up documentation for it. I did. I was then told that I should redo it so that if a child had to setup the environment they could do it from scratch so I essentially made a step by step document with screenshots on how to set the environment up exactly as I have it. This includes every setting for the SANs and VMware as well as creating the Systems Insight Manager VM and all of its settings and the . It is like people checked out completely because of the word "virtualization".

Demonachizer fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Mar 17, 2015

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

Demonachizer posted:

I was then told that I should redo it so that if a child had to setup the environment they could do it from scratch so I essentially made a step by step document with screenshots on how to set the environment up exactly as I have it.

gently caress everything about this.

In my consulting gigs, I had so many customers that wanted me to to do this. They would then get pissed when I told them I would write documentation that a qualified professional could understand, not write a book teaching them how to Computer.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

:agreed:

If you don't know poo poo about vmware (for instance), you can't expect to set up a professional environment by following a step-by-step guide anyway.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

NeuralSpark posted:

In my consulting gigs, I had so many customers that wanted me to to do this. They would then get pissed when I told them I would write documentation that a qualified professional could understand, not write a book teaching them how to Computer.

If you paste step-by-step screenshots into a word document and it doesn't work, it's your fault, though!

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

VMware certified managed services place setup our DR cluster. Couldn't create a 64-bit VM when I went to upgrade to VMware 5. Guess loving what? They didn't even TURN ON VT IN THE loving BIOS

Welp, gotta drive to the DC...

That was fun.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

NeuralSpark posted:

I agree 100% but couldn't tell my boss to gently caress off and also I was super super invested in getting virtualization into this environment. End result was that I had 0 training in VMware and now feel very comfortable with it. I am not working in IT anymore (going to school for CS but hoping to do a PhD and then research) so it doesn't matter but still it was nice to be able to take time to setup an environment and learn poo poo.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Bob Morales posted:

VMware certified managed services place setup our DR cluster. Couldn't create a 64-bit VM when I went to upgrade to VMware 5. Guess loving what? They didn't even TURN ON VT IN THE loving BIOS

That was fun.

That pisses me off from two directions, first the obvious of a supposed professional skipping something so important but second the fact that VT is disabled by default on most machines I touch still to this day. Why in 2015 would I not want non-lovely virtualization support enabled?

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Bob Morales posted:

That was fun.

:confused: iLO or DRAC? Literally the first thing I spec on any server as I've had one too many late-night datacenter trips (oops, I forgot the "is", I meant "one is too many") thanks to my predecessor not believing in out of band management. If you don't have that, I suggest it for exactly this kind of stupid poo poo.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
OOB management is the greatest thing on Earth, how the gently caress do you "not believe in it"?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Potato Alley posted:

:confused: iLO or DRAC? Literally the first thing I spec on any server as I've had one too many late-night datacenter trips (oops, I forgot the "is", I meant "one is too many") thanks to my predecessor not believing in out of band management. If you don't have that, I suggest it for exactly this kind of stupid poo poo.

Wasn't configured. And the people at the DC would not give remote hands. Oh well. I wasn't there when that stuff was setup, I'm also not dumb enough to have let that company do the work in the first place.

A3th3r
Jul 27, 2013

success is a dream & achievements are the cream
ingrates at work piss me off!

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

A3th3r posted:

ingrates at work piss me off!

People who can't tell a story of what pisses them off piss me off.

As do people who roll in at half eleven, decide they're taking a half-day at twelve, vanish for a lunch break at one, and gently caress off completely at half one. Said he'd make up the time while he's on the move. Which would be so much easier if he remembered his laptop. Or wasn't a workshy arsehole who has drawn the ire of senior management to us as a team, not him as a twat.

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

Just a mad weather-ologist :science:
OOB management is great when setup properly

But when your setup is that your only access outside of an installed OS is to pipe Serial over LAN, over SSH, that you tunneled through another server, that you then launch via your Mac Laptop SSH...that's really loving limited.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Got pinched today :mad:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Manslaughter posted:

On the butt or what?

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Inspector_666 posted:

OOB management is the greatest thing on Earth, how the gently caress do you "not believe in it"?

I...don't know. I guess he thought the $300 for the DRAC Enterprise was just too spendy?

I mean he was a pretty good admin in most respects, so I won't knock him in general, but that angle I completely and utterly disagreed with him, to the point of buying and putting in DRACs for some of the older servers when I took charge. (And yes, the first time I installed one of those I was looking for the PCIe slot to put it in, because the old ones were a goddamn PCIe card and how was I supposed to know it just plugs into a connector on the side - I'm certainly not going to read the manual or something like that).

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Manslaughter posted:

That's your own fault.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Manslaughter posted:

That's what happens when you call the feds.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

Manslaughter posted:

Because you weren't wearing green? Do people still do that?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Manslaughter posted:

Why not drop the hysterics and appreciate it for the compliment it is darling.

:barf:

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

My team is having the most traditional St. Patrick's day celebration ever. They've got a fancy spread with decorations all over the place. It's FTE only, which means my Irish rear end is being excluded from the "celebration of Irish culture".

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
That seems simultaneously so mean-spirited and so pointless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Inspector_666 posted:

An old boss of mine "didn't believe" in Wi-Fi. When the problem we were being tasked to resolve was getting connectivity to a stand that gets wheeled around in a building that belonged to the company.

He couldn't move past "Wi-Fi done badly with poo poo-tier equipment has issues, therefore all wireless networking is bad."