Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
jesus, todoroki. don't take it out on sero :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
At least he apologized.

I really like how everyone is so chill.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
The demon world tournament was pretty loving great when Yusuke is just like gently caress this 3 world powers and politics thing. Lets have a tournament between everyone in loving demon world over who runs the place.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Haven't heard of Flame of Recca before, might check that out. I have seen Yu Yu Hakusho though and the tournament arc in that is easily the worst part of the whole series.

Maybe Dexo watched Flame of Recca a long time ago and/or when he was much younger or something, because I consider Flame of Recca pretty much the most generic shounen imaginable (and pretty bad as a result). Like, I could not conceive of a more generic example of the genre than that manga.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
Saying that you'll never use one of your powers is kind of irresponsible for a hero. It sounds cool until he fucks up and and a villain he could have caught kills a bunch of people.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

it will almost certainly be part of his character arc that refusing to use his fire power at all is letting his dick dad define him more than anything else could, and is just going to hurt him in the long run

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Dexo posted:

The demon world tournament was pretty loving great when Yusuke is just like gently caress this 3 world powers and politics thing. Lets have a tournament between everyone in loving demon world over who runs the place.

Both YYH tournaments are pretty great. The Demon one falls a bit flat but what was there was pretty good.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me
If he really wanted to piss off his dad he'd quit the hero business and use his powers to become the world's greatest chef or something.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

That loving panel where Deku talks about the hallucinations shows how terrible the "cleaner" is.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Avulsion posted:

If he really wanted to piss off his dad he'd quit the hero business and use his powers to become the world's greatest chef or something.

Greatest chef sounds about right. Man, what I could do with being able to instantly freeze things in the kitchen...

(Cooling something down really fast means you have a lot of very tiny ice crystals, instead of a few giant ones. The former is very desirable in cooking, the latter is not.)

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

I don't understand everyone saying Deku got deus ex machina'd out of the mind control. Dude had zero control over his body, what the hell was he supposed to do? I know we all want more complex/uncommon stories, but having the main character get knocked out in the first round seems like a bad idea given this still runs in a publication targeted at kids.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Cake Attack posted:

it will almost certainly be part of his character arc that refusing to use his fire power at all is letting his dick dad define him more than anything else could, and is just going to hurt him in the long run
This is one of those really cliche' "Your parents don't define your existence" arc things and it's probably gonna take a long time to play out.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:
No one taking about how the nurse and All Might are weirded out that All Might showed up in the vision? :ohdear: Maybe not alot of time left for him.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

SirKibbles posted:

No one taking about how the nurse and All Might are weirded out that All Might showed up in the vision? :ohdear: Maybe not alot of time left for him.
Uh.... if by not a lot you mean it's even possible literally all of his power is already gone. I assume nobody's talking about it because it's kind of obvious what it meant, up to and including it being a sign that all the power has finished transferring.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

Twiddy posted:

Uh.... if by not a lot you mean it's even possible literally all of his power is already gone. I assume nobody's talking about it because it's kind of obvious what it meant, up to and including it being a sign that all the power has finished transferring.

Hm don't know how I missed that

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

Captain McStabbin posted:

I don't understand everyone saying Deku got deus ex machina'd out of the mind control. Dude had zero control over his body, what the hell was he supposed to do? I know we all want more complex/uncommon stories, but having the main character get knocked out in the first round seems like a bad idea given this still runs in a publication targeted at kids.

Honestly it's more annoying that Deku seemed to be dumber for that one fight but it was plot necessary to introduce other aspects of One For All.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

SirKibbles posted:

As All Might said, that's a good thing, the point is for deku to get all the drat power

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
I just loved how he took this seemingly meaningless battle and turned it into not only a growing point for Deku, but also really developed Shinsou.
We all knew Deku wasn't going to lose his first fight, so this was still a really interesting read.
It's stuff like this that puts this well above your average tournament arc. Can't wait to see how this develops.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Soylentbits posted:

Honestly it's more annoying that Deku seemed to be dumber for that one fight but it was plot necessary to introduce other aspects of One For All.

I said it last week but it's worth mentioning again that this really isn't terribly out of character for him. As smart as he is, he's shown on a couple of occasions that he's extremely impulsive and often reacts unconsciously, even if he knows it's a bad idea. The whole reason he inherited One For All is because he, with no quirk and no plan, ran up to help Bakugou in the first chapter when nobody else would, which made All Might get his poo poo together and help. Obviously someone's life being in danger is a bit more severe a circumstance than some jerk calling your friends lame to intentionally get a rise out of you, but still.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

AtomikKrab posted:

As All Might said, that's a good thing, the point is for deku to get all the drat power
While it's true that that's the ultimate goal, one insidious part about this process is that no matter what it has a moment of weakness. The power has to transfer from one place to another, with the recipient having to learn how to use it as the old master loses it. This is naturally going to bring about some kind of fault point, and whether the vision is a sign that all of All Might's power has been transferred or only a significant portion has, this is a story telling sign that that fault point has just about been reached. Further, because this is a story, the chance that there is a villain with working knowledge about this aspect of All for One is 100%. Given that, this is just about the optimal point for the villain to act.

Ever since this tournament arc began people have been guessing that the tournament will be cut short due to another villain attack. That possibility has just increased.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
An omake chapter is out. It turns out that Midnight's costume really is just really sheer tights... but apparently didn't used to be back in the day?? :raise: At least Mineta's happy!

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Spoilers for the next chapter: Everyone up to Bakugou vs Gravity Girl gets one-panel/sidepanel fights. Awww.

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Mar 22, 2015

Protodude
Dec 10, 2013

Fun Shoe
Don't worry, we'll eventually see more of those fights as filler in the inevitable anime.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Chapter is out.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Huh, Fumikage actually won. Neat.

Ochako vs. Bakugou's anyone's game from a narrative perspective. Place your bets.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Bad Seafood posted:

Ochako vs. Bakugou's anyone's game from a narrative perspective. Place your bets.

Ochako! It doesn't seem like the typical shonen outcome, but I don't think Deku will have more than one epic showdown, and he's already got ice fire dude coming up... Besides, Ochako winning is by far the more interesting outcome. Also, those two didn't really have any scenes together so far, so Bakugou's humiliating defeat might just be the thing to make him actually remember another character's name!

...cue next chapter opening with Bakugou saying he didn't even know who the hell he was gonna fight until then :v:

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Link for your convenience - http://www.mangabird.co/boku-no-hero-academia-35

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Another good chapter. The secondary fights got enough to characterize them but moved quickly, and they generally played out in logical ways. Kirishima vs. Tetsutetsu was implemented really well, I think. Bakugou against Uraraka is tough to call. Bakugou has basically every advantage, and the previous fights have been in line with that pretty strongly influencing the outcome, but I wouldn't put it past the author to have Uraraka figure out some way to win by taking advantage of Bakugou's hotheadedness.

Also Iida and Hatsume need to be a team.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

I think if Urakawa touched Bakugou, he loses. His power is explosives, he hits himself with enough force to simulate flying constantly. If he loses gravitys effect, he'd fly off in every direction whenever he used it.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

KittyEmpress posted:

I think if Urakawa touched Bakugou, he loses. His power is explosives, he hits himself with enough force to simulate flying constantly. If he loses gravitys effect, he'd fly off in every direction whenever he used it.

Alternatively he'd just start punching the air to blast in whatever direction he wants and be even more threatening

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Is the 4th page not loading for anyone else?

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Yeah, making him float probably would only give a page or two of looking like Uraraka wins. It's been consistently shown that Bakugou is a pretty talented and smart fighter, so that likely wouldn't trip him up for long. It will be interesting to see how it plays out. I wonder if part of it will be that it's his sweat that is explosive rather than just making explosions from nothing.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Mar 22, 2015

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the brick fight was everything i dreamed of

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Kind of surprised he had Yaoyorozu lose so early on.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
The brick fight was manly as gently caress.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

kidcoelacanth posted:

Same. But I was rooting for Tokoyami, so it's all good to me.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

kidcoelacanth posted:

Uh she pretty consistently loses. She was on the only team that lost against the supervillains. She's been outsmarted by grape boy twice. She lost the presidency to Deku and then somehow lost it to Iida despite him not being in the running.

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.

kidcoelacanth posted:

As overall useful as her quirk is, I buy that the battle format was better suited to Tokoyami. Seeing how quirks match up is definitely more interesting than power levels.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Ant Girl Shoryuken!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

Soylentbits posted:

Uh she pretty consistently loses. She was on the only team that lost against the supervillains. She's been outsmarted by grape boy twice. She lost the presidency to Deku and then somehow lost it to Iida despite him not being in the running.

I thought she was the other class rep. Don't they usually have one male and one female rep?