Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Goddamn you, Kevin Smith, we all had such high hopes for you in the late 90s.

The man is a walking, talking anti-weed PSA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Phylodox posted:

I get it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Phylodox posted:

The man is a walking, talking anti-weed PSA.

18 year old Rhyno honestly thought he was going to overthrow Hollywood with his outlaw film making stylings.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
The sad moment when you realize the quirks of Clerks weren't deliberate directorial choices but the result of Kevin Smith being weak at his craft.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I used to really dig him. I thought Dogma was awesome. Then Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back happened and I realized that his career was basically a cult of personality where being lazy and constantly stoned were virtues. He really doesn't seem to have any interest in growing or evolving as a person, as a writer, or a filmmaker.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Phylodox posted:

I used to really dig him. I thought Dogma was awesome. Then Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back happened and I realized that his career was basically a cult of personality where being lazy and constantly stoned were virtues. He really doesn't seem to have any interest in growing or evolving as a person, as a writer, or a filmmaker.

Pretty much how I feel except I got there by the end of Chasing Amy.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Ironically I thought (and still think) that Chasing Amy was his most honest, heartfelt-seeming movie, probably the closest he's ever come to progressing as an artist.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Phylodox posted:

Ironically I thought (and still think) that Chasing Amy was his most honest, heartfelt-seeming movie, probably the closest he's ever come to progressing as an artist.

I just don't like the end of it much anymore. I can't even sit through any of his films these days.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
He's... he's an odd duck. Some stuff he does is really good. I'll fully admit to liking his run on the Green Arrow series. I think that's the only thing I've read by him that wasn't just plain bad.

That's basically the corn in the poo poo nugget though. He pretty much sucks at anything else he attempts, and has this weird hosed up fan club that thinks the sun shines out of his rear end in a top hat. I don't get it.

Hell, I'm still mad at him retconning Batman Year One into "Batman, pisser of pants".

He has great IDEAS sometimes, but he lacks the talent to really make them a reality. If he had a handler to swat him with a newspaper when he started to go off the rails, he'd be a lot more enjoyable. Frank Miller was kinda like that before he went all WHORES WHORES WHORES WHORES.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

He has great IDEAS sometimes, but he lacks the talent to really make them a reality. If he had a handler to swat him with a newspaper when he started to go off the rails, he'd be a lot more enjoyable. Frank Miller was kinda like that before he went all WHORES WHORES WHORES WHORES.

Did Frank go WHORES WHORES WHORES WHORES right around where he went MUSLIMSTERRORISTSMUSLIMSTERRORISTS, or were those two different journeys into batshit craziness?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Did Frank go WHORES WHORES WHORES WHORES right around where he went MUSLIMSTERRORISTSMUSLIMSTERRORISTS, or were those two different journeys into batshit craziness?

Two parallel lines of crazy which intersected briefy around 9/11 then both shot up like a rocket, but were always present in his work.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Kevin Smith is a fantastic storyteller. In the sense that he is a really good raconteur.
The rise of the Podcast is probably the best format for Kevin Smith. And he was important for being the first big writter to really bridge the gap between comics as the obscure hobby and them as more mainstream pursuit.

As for his comic work, I liked his early stuff, even the Black Cat series. It's when he went near Batman that I thought his stuff became awful.
But the delays in his work output are legendary. His Black Cat mini was supposed to spin into a run on Spider-man written by Kevin. But because it took him so long to finish that mini, they scraped that plan.

One of the best jokes Wizard had was a mock wanted ad that read "Help! I've been in a coma the last two and a half years. I am trying to catch up on my comic reading. I can't seem to find the last few issues of Bullseye: The Target and Black Cat: The Evil That Men Do. Can anyone tell me how they ended?"

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

The Question IRL posted:

Kevin Smith is a fantastic storyteller. In the sense that he is a really good raconteur.
The rise of the Podcast is probably the best format for Kevin Smith. And he was important for being the first big writter to really bridge the gap between comics as the obscure hobby and them as more mainstream pursuit.

I agree with this. Kevin Smith is that friend you have at a party that always has the best stories. It doesn't matter if they are bullshit or not, he's so good at sharing a story in person that you don't care.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

The Question IRL posted:

As for his comic work, I liked his early stuff, even the Black Cat series. It's when he went near Batman that I thought his stuff became awful.
But the delays in his work output are legendary. His Black Cat mini was supposed to spin into a run on Spider-man written by Kevin. But because it took him so long to finish that mini, they scraped that plan.

One of the best jokes Wizard had was a mock wanted ad that read "Help! I've been in a coma the last two and a half years. I am trying to catch up on my comic reading. I can't seem to find the last few issues of Bullseye: The Target and Black Cat: The Evil That Men Do. Can anyone tell me how they ended?"

He added rape to Black Cat's backstory.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
You know how when you're stoned and you have these great, revolutionary, world-changing ideas only to realize they were complete poo poo when you sober up? Well, at this point Kevin Smith's entire career is predicated on him never sobering up.

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The Clerk's cartoon was brilliant. Probably because Kevin Smith is a great idea man but very very lazy, which is a shame because a big fat dynamo might have actually changed things.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Phylodox posted:

You know how when you're stoned and you have these great, revolutionary, world-changing ideas only to realize they were complete poo poo when you sober up? Well, at this point Kevin Smith's entire career is predicated on him never sobering up.

Well here is what happens when he sobers up!

quote:

I’m not telling you anything new…I’m far more creative now, you know. I’ve been writing this ''Batman: The Widening Gyre'' miniseries, and I’m stoned all the time when I’m writing it. And, I swear, I’ll write it, and then, it’s not so much blackout, but forget, so much so that the next morning, I go to read what I wrote, and it’s, like, I’m that cobbler and elves came and wrote it in the night, because I’m, like, "This is better than anything I’ve ever written before." I mean, like, I’ve done comics, but this is way better

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

CzarChasm posted:

I agree with this. Kevin Smith is that friend you have at a party that always has the best stories. It doesn't matter if they are bullshit or not, he's so good at sharing a story in person that you don't care.
Kevin Smith's best work is still probably "An Evening With..."

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Dude's smoked himself so retarded that he thinks making Mallrats 2 is a good idea.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

The Widening Gyre is the one where it's revealed that Batman peed himself during a scene in Year One, right? Just so I'm absolutely clear on what's better than anything he's ever done before.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

SomeMathGuy posted:

The Widening Gyre is the one where it's revealed that Batman peed himself during a scene in Year One, right? Just so I'm absolutely clear on what's better than anything he's ever done before.
Let Chris Sims tell you all about it.

redstormpopcorn
Jun 10, 2007
Aurora Master

Endless Mike posted:

Dude's smoked himself so retarded that he thinks making Mallrats 2 is a good idea.

Remember when he said J&SBSB was gonna be the last movie involving those characters/that universe, ever?

That was a good day.

tom bob-ombadil
Jan 1, 2012

Endless Mike posted:

There was so much of this rear end in a top hat in Lego Batman 3 and we got HIM as a playable character instead of <YOUR FAVORITE CHARACTER HERE>.

I just wanted Guy Gardner. :negative:

EdibleBodyParts
Dec 27, 2005
Body Parts...that are edible

dragon_pamcake posted:

There was so much of this rear end in a top hat in Lego Batman 3 and we got HIM as a playable character instead of <YOUR FAVORITE CHARACTER HERE>.

I just wanted Guy Gardner. :negative:

Guy is in the Bizarro DLC, as well as Greenzarro.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
I just wanted Ambush Bug :(

good day for a bris
Feb 4, 2006

No, I don't want to play "Conversation Parade".

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

Voiced by Henry Winkler of course. After BatB I can't think of a better actor to do it.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

bobkatt013 posted:

Well here is what happens when he sobers up!

I think we have to shift our definition of "sober" quite a bit when reading that quote. In this case, it basically means "still totally loving stoned but not so cataclysmically stoned that you write a scene where Batman pisses himself and honestly think it's a good idea".

That and the guy's famously lazy. I imagine him waking up from a weed-fueled bender, reading the "Batman pisses himself" scene and thinking, "Jesus, what the gently caress was I thinking?!? I can't submit that! But...ah, poo poo, that'd mean I'd have to re-write a bunch of stuff. gently caress it, it's good enough."

tom bob-ombadil
Jan 1, 2012

EdibleBodyParts posted:

Guy is in the Bizarro DLC, as well as Greenzarro.

I am a dumb rear end, but on the plus side, this DLC should be wildly entertaining.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Why not just draw Wonder Woman as having badass full-body armor instead of making sure she is always wearing a plate bikini?

I mean if you want to go in the direction above but have it be slightly more cool+sensible, she would basically look like a high-level Skyrim character.

Damned if I can find a good picture of it, but wonder woman had amazing armour in Kingdom Come. The helmet was an eagle and it had wings, and a sword, and a spear. it was cool.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

thespaceinvader posted:

Damned if I can find a good picture of it, but wonder woman had amazing armour in Kingdom Come. The helmet was an eagle and it had wings, and a sword, and a spear. it was cool.

They're low res and I don't see a super clear shot of it, but here.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Didn't someone do a drawing of it like straight on to show it was actually a pretty horrible design?

I can't remember if it was cosplay or not. I just remember something about how it looked great in KC but in reality it'd be just bad all around.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Didn't someone do a drawing of it like straight on to show it was actually a pretty horrible design?

I can't remember if it was cosplay or not. I just remember something about how it looked great in KC but in reality it'd be just bad all around.

There was a statue released recently and it didn't look all that great.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

MH Knights posted:

This is absurdly disingenuous. If it looked good in the original story by the original artist, who loving cares about this other poo poo?

EdibleBodyParts
Dec 27, 2005
Body Parts...that are edible

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

Ambush Bug is playable in the base game after I think two quests on Nok. You need to bring him some bug friends.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

MH Knights posted:

The statue does have the skirt slit up to the waist on both sides, which Ross's original design clearly doesn't.

I'm not so crazy about the wings and helmet though. Looks like she's been raiding the Hawks' closet. It's also a little too monochromatic gold for me, and the inclusion of the US flag as a scarf (?) just feels inappropriate.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

McSpanky posted:

This is absurdly disingenuous. If it looked good in the original story by the original artist, who loving cares about this other poo poo?

Considering how superheroes are partially designed to be drawn over and over and over again and replicated across a variety of media/mechandise by varying artists including by lovely fill-in artists working on crunch deadlines and by real people in real world space, yeah how well their costume translates outside of their original story does matter a whole loving lot.

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

mind the walrus posted:

Considering how superheroes are partially designed to be drawn over and over and over again and replicated across a variety of media/mechandise by varying artists including by lovely fill-in artists working on crunch deadlines and by real people in real world space, yeah how well their costume translates outside of their original story does matter a whole loving lot.

The idea that artists should only create designs that the shittiest artists in the industry will also be able to draw is retarded.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

mind the walrus posted:

Not when we are talking about a What If like Kingdom Come. I think the point was "The design looked great in Kingdom Come, who cares how it looks as a statue or in some fanart decades later?"

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Grendels Dad posted:

Not when we are talking about a What If like Kingdom Come. I think the point was "The design looked great in Kingdom Come, who cares how it looks as a statue or in some fanart decades later?"

Considering how DC sucks Kingdom Come's dick relentlessly? I'd say both points have merit.

Kramjacks posted:

The idea that artists should only create designs that the shittiest artists in the industry will also be able to draw is retarded.

Did I say that artists should only create designs that lovely artists can draw? No? I didn't? Did I even imply that the ability of lovely artists should be the only priority in designing a costume instead of merely an important business consideration? No? I still didn't? Okay then.

mind the walrus fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Mar 17, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest
there's a lot of angry posting so here is a (probably reposted) page of rockslide talking to a giant monster that protects the gem that gives the juggernaut his power (I think)

from Amazing Xmen 16