Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*

HardDisk posted:

I'm making the new OP, how's it looking so far? I guess I need more screenshots, but for now it's enough.

http://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=22085

Looks like enough that should get someone interested. And downloadin' my prefabs :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Ok so the only significant issue im having with C:S right now is that I am at work and cant do awesome things like add this:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=408760323&searchtext=

to my install. Id be fine with it just for adding color gradients to transport lines but automatically naming the lines by the districts they pass through if they haven't been given a custom name is a feature I didnt even know I want and I need it now. Now all I need is a drag to make circle tool for roads to simplify... everything.

Also the housing packs are harmless, they add new colors and shapes to your residential sprawl and thats a good thing, they need like a separate ranking area in the workshop though so that they dont trample all over cool mechanic mods. Workshop has needed a category and UI overhaul since Skyrim showed how quickly it can get overwhelmed with content, hopefully they get to it sooner rather than later.

Spaceman Future! fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Mar 16, 2015

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

I haven't put on any of the "all squares unlocked" mods but would I be able to do that later if I ever finish a 9x9 city or would I have to start again?

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

HardDisk posted:

I'm making the new OP, how's it looking so far? I guess I need more screenshots, but for now it's enough.

See:

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

SPACE HOMOS posted:

I wonder if the game is moddable enough to make platforms above your city that you can build on. How am I supposed to make Hengsha from deus ex or Midgar from ff7?

I think it is, its essentially all C# so you can almost read the source and even do code injection to change it, if you are into programming and reverse engineering.
Took me a while but I just managed to figure out how to separate dummy citizens from "real" citizens.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007

Decrepus posted:

I haven't put on any of the "all squares unlocked" mods but would I be able to do that later if I ever finish a 9x9 city or would I have to start again?

In the mod activation window in-game it says that mods carry over to savegames so it should work. No guarantee it won't bug out though.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Also:

:allears:

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I think a CPU would melt with a full 25 block city.

It seems like commuters are abstracted but all delivery and service vehicle are 1:1 modeled.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

HardDisk posted:

I'm willing to maintain a new thread, if no one else wants to. What should go in the OP?
I'd like some real world urban planning and traffic engineering resources to help make more functional and better looking cities. For example this site on interchanges: http://www.cbrd.co.uk/interchanges/. Easily digestible and directly applicable to the game.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

HardDisk posted:

http://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=22085
Rename Links section to "Chirpies' Choice"

I also found this imgur album googling for Cities Skylines poop dam that I feel is an important guide and/or link http://imgur.com/a/inXja

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

DeepQantas posted:

I can't play the game before an OS reinstall, so could you guys try and see if Diverging Diamond is as efficient as it is sexy?

My own experience says no. Or at least a rotary functions better.

This used to have massive back-ups before I rebuilt it as a rotary. I also tried it with a diverging diamond and a SPUI before that.

Diverging diamond can be tricky to build with the game's tools, and even when you do get it built with proper geometry, you run into issues with turn angles being too sharp, causing cars to slow down too much.

SPUI are also problematic, not just due to the angles involved, but also since you have to build it with the 6-lane road as the overpass, which means you get a traffic light on the intersection, and the light timings and phases are completely broken for the geometry. The phases the game generates has conflicting movements all around so too few cars are let through each time.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Good god:

Reddit for Chirpy

:stare:

The source code is intriguing - it's basically a web scraper that retrieves posts and displays them in the chirpy feed at a set rate. It could be reworked to do that on any website.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
Has it been said if the patch/upgrade paths are gonna be different between Deluxe and Regular version? I'd rather save the $10 between them if the only differences are the 5 monuments and the digital guide/soundtrack.

pwnyXpress
Mar 28, 2007
So overall I can see that this game offers tons more than SimCity did, but don't a lot of the problems seem a bit reminiscent of that debacle? Odd things like the commercial bug and weird water issues?

The biggest one, and probably the number one reason I haven't purchased yet, is because it seems people have to do stupid convoluted things with roads in order to get functional traffic, which certainly brings back some bad memories.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

WMain00 posted:

Good god:

Reddit for Chirpy

:stare:

The source code is intriguing - it's basically a web scraper that retrieves posts and displays them in the chirpy feed at a set rate. It could be reworked to do that on any website.

This thread

Freakus
Oct 21, 2000
Is it just me, or does it seem really difficult to get the max level offices? Do parks help with that or are there other things I need to focus on building?

Tehan posted:

Just add more people. The problem is a labour shortage, not overeducation. People will work in jobs they're overeducated for if they have no choice but when there's a labour shortage they do have a choice so your industry suffers. If you do manage to create an uneducated slum it would just move the labour shortage to your more educated jobs and it'd probably just make things worse since your workforce would be less flexible.
So can you not necessarily build based upon RCI demand then? Looking at my figures: I Have 24k people employed, 27k jobs available, 4% unemployment, but my residential demand is almost 0 and I have huge commercial and industrial demand.

Freakus fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Mar 16, 2015

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

:siren: New thread at http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3706710 :siren:

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

pwnyXpress posted:

So overall I can see that this game offers tons more than SimCity did, but don't a lot of the problems seem a bit reminiscent of that debacle? Odd things like the commercial bug and weird water issues?

The biggest one, and probably the number one reason I haven't purchased yet, is because it seems people have to do stupid convoluted things with roads in order to get functional traffic, which certainly brings back some bad memories.

You should just buy it because it's fun, promise.

DEO3
Oct 25, 2005

Noyemi K posted:

I want to be able to start before 2015. In like 1960 or something. Or 1920 even.

This is the me that wants this game to be more like TTD :(

I do hope different themes will be available for various time periods as DLC

For me, a turn of the century/industrial revolution reskin of all the buildings/trains/cars would easily be worth whatever they plan on charging for DLC for this game. Even better if they add an architectural style option to the district functionality, allowing you to say 'I want this district to be historical and use the turn of the century DLC architectural style, that district over there to use the architectural style from Old European DLC, and a finally, a little bit of 'Cities of the Future' DLC right here'

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Groogy posted:

I think it is, its essentially all C# so you can almost read the source and even do code injection to change it, if you are into programming and reverse engineering.
Took me a while but I just managed to figure out how to separate dummy citizens from "real" citizens.

Groogy I swear to God you better keep working on that Republic mod of yours or else I will haunt you.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Tatsuta Age posted:

Has it been said if the patch/upgrade paths are gonna be different between Deluxe and Regular version? I'd rather save the $10 between them if the only differences are the 5 monuments and the digital guide/soundtrack.

No, there is absolutely no difference between the games, nor will there be a difference support wise.
Regular game : Is the regular game.
Deluxe : Is the regular game, but with 5 extra buildings added in as an asset. + Whatever bonus stuff there is.

If you want those buildings, buy the deluxe, if you're unsure if you want them, but the regular edition.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

Ofaloaf posted:

Groogy I swear to God you better keep working on that Republic mod of yours or else I will haunt you.

When I get done optimizing CK2 for today I'll head on home to continue on modding. Today I'll start with logic like "legal voters" and "affiliation to a party" (read members) and maybe tomorrow I'll do the party hierarchy. I'm also gonna slow down aging so you can actually have prominent leaders for 60 years in the game instead of only 6.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Go to that new thread!

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

I've made a second map that isn't just a flat expanse of nothing.

It features a working waterfall and river system.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=409012533

I think it's overall better than my first map.

I understand why people don't mess with water very much, the fluid dynamics take forever to stabilize when you create a river that isn't running flat.

The Mantis
Jul 19, 2004

what is yall sayin?

pwnyXpress posted:

Nah. You're blowin it.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The stupid convulated things I do to roads looks a lot like roads IRL around cities.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

pwnyXpress posted:

We're having to do the same convoluted things real life traffic engineers have do because we face the same problems.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Noyemi K posted:

I'm mostly quoting this so I can look back at the post in my history, ha-ha. Because right now I'm having some serious traffic problems in Inchun, though I've greatly reduced the industry traffic I'm dealing with heavy traffic along a certain road and I'm thinking it's probably because of the lack of a frontage road on the highway. Luckily, I left space for it I think, but :effort:

I've tried this out and it works really great early on, but it's kind of a bitch to retrofit later to fit into a bigger city, especially if you wanna turn those incoming roads into highways later.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I name all my cities Nightvale. It's even better you use the podcast as the news for the city.

All I need is a dog park.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.

Noyemi K posted:

A proper road hierarchy would cut that mess at least in half.
Do I look like Robert loving Moses?

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

I've solved most of my traffic problems by having a lot of roads connecting to the highway via small bridges and smart zoning, gently caress these fancy interchanges all I need is More Roads

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

also gently caress you ill post in whatever thread i want

Alpine Mustache
Jul 11, 2000

Anyone running this on a Q6600 CPU? how terrible/good is it?

Deanut Pancer
Nov 24, 2012

Tambaloneus posted:

I've enjoyed the few hours I've played so far, amazing number of mods already. One thing I'm hoping modders will put there (or as extra content) will be double-wide pedestrian paths that can be used for malls and terrain brushes that can paint things like stone, grass, dirt etc.

Thing though - everyone makes such flat cities which looks a bit sprawling to me, but then I don't suppose too many people have unlocked monuments yet. Kind of can't wait to re-create my home town crammed in between the river and the mountain. Or Stillwater - whichever will look funnier on fire since I always forget fire stations until a few things are burning.

Anyone else made their hometown/city yet?

I made this map of Reykjavik, Iceland from a tool I saw on reddit: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=408030494 Unfortunately there is no 'Lava fields everywhere' land type yet.

Also whilst I'm talking workshop: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=407840104 This is my first park. I added the parking spots and a crowd generator, not really expecting them to make much difference. But I plopped one of these down in the game and within a few moments a little dude pulled up and parked his car in the spot and walked in to the park. Then another one joined him, and then there actually was a crowd of random people just chilling out there. Such a satisfying feeling when modding support is so easy and Just Works. Big props to the devs for getting this right from launch.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
I forgot how horrifying roundabouts are. There's a reason we don't have any of these stupid things in the great state of Delaware. If I ever came across one in my life I'd probably have a panic attack.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Roundabouts in the game dont really function like ones in real life unless they're large enough and have few connections. Make them too small and have too many arms, and cars can wedge in there and get stuck. IRL the traffic always keeps moving allowing people off as they get to their exits, but in game, if it's jammed, traffic comes to a dead stop.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
The problem with small roundabouts is they start deforming unless you have roads coming in from the four cardinal directions. Once you do that, you can come in from different angles and then delete the perpendicular ones.

Edit: drat it, I thought I was reading the new thread. Someone lock this one.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

How do you choose what RCI a building is under in the asset creator? I downloaded a bunch of farmhouses that the creator put under residential, but I want to make them industrial/farm growables. I can't for the life of me find any option to change what zone it grows under.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tambaloneus
Feb 5, 2007

I miss my cat someone buy me a kitten.

Asproigerosis posted:

I forgot how horrifying roundabouts are. There's a reason we don't have any of these stupid things in the great state of Delaware. If I ever came across one in my life I'd probably have a panic attack.

But they're so easy! You only have to care about one single direction, not what other people are doing in every other lane - only the one that is directly in your path on the right (or left). Then once on you can happily drive having the right of way until your exit. No sitting in an intersection until the light goes orange hoping not too many people blow through before you can turn, no worrying whether the guy turning across your lane opposite is going to gun it before you get there.. nope you just sidle on in the first gap and cruise happily around. Mind you I am quite used to them, having to go through 5-6 on my way to and from work everyday. The only awful one is the one where it has multiple lanes but is far too small to easily loving change into one while you're on it unless you like going around and around.

Although if the person in front of you refuses to enter the loving thing until it's entirely devoid of traffic it can make you want to lob a grenade out the window.

• Locked thread