Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

As it should be, if people didn't want to be poor they should just go earn some money goddamn how hard can it be. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

waffle iron posted:

I love it when rich people block the construction of bus stops in their communities. As if they wouldn't benefit from their underpaid housekeepers and servants being able to take the bus to work. Nope, have to make sure poor people don't shop at "the rich people mall".

It isn't just rich people. I lived in a city neighborhood with no bus stops nearby, everyone loved it because the sort of people who use public transportation here were way less likely to stumble into the neighborhood, and it was a quiet, safe area despite all the bus-fed neighborhoods around it being crime-ridden.

And before I get jumped on yet again for ~racism~ it was a mixed race neighborhood, and the loudest voices about how great it was to not have "that sort" around were a neighbor on each side of me, one Hispanic, one black. Both blue collar types, two kids and a dog sort.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Maybe if public transit weren't relentlessly lovely, normal people with other options might occasionally choose to use it?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

PT6A posted:

Maybe if public transit weren't relentlessly lovely, normal people with other options might occasionally choose to use it?

Busses loving suck no matter how much money they invest in them, couldn't pay me to use one.

But light rail? Subways? Heck yeah.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

PT6A posted:

Oh it can still be lovely, the Boston T is a cesspool but it just has to be good enough. Simple things like having more than one bus an hour to the places people want to go and running express buses on a reasonable schedule to the next closest cities, transit center to transit center with no stops inbetween. (And that's not even getting in to the subways.)

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

xzzy posted:

Busses loving suck no matter how much money they invest in them, couldn't pay me to use one.

...this is very true. I was just thinking of all the transit systems I've used that I don't hate, and they're all subway systems. Busses are marginally okay as connectors to get you from a train to a destination, but I prefer to avoid them as much as possible. They're so loving difficult to use in a place you're not familiar with, too -- at least trains have named stations, so you have half a chance of knowing where you are (though metro stations with multiple exits can still throw a gently caress into that plan).

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

xzzy posted:

Yuuuup. We live a block and a half from a station for one of the light rail lines and when we want to head downtown, we take the train more often than not because then we don't have to deal with parking or worry about getting home if we decide to booze up.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
The best thing about the Bay Area. BART, Muni, and CalTrain

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

PT6A posted:

They're so loving difficult to use in a place you're not familiar with, too -- at least trains have named stations, so you have half a chance of knowing where you are (though metro stations with multiple exits can still throw a gently caress into that plan).

Have you ever been to Tokyo? It's confusing even after you've been/lived there, but nearly impossible to figure out for someone who's not familiar, partly because of the various different systems there are.

At least, in central Tokyo, there's only the subway and the JR, but even then, people often stare at one map looking for a station when it only exists in the other system.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
I kind of miss taking the bus to work. I used to get a lot more reading done.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Buses would be a lot nicer if they didn't stop every loving block. Great, yeah, you don't have to walk as far now, but any trip takes for loving ever because the bus only travels 200 yards before pulling up at yet another empty stop.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

PT6A posted:

Yeah but OTOH that would likely help poors and brown people so...

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Pham Nuwen posted:

Buses would be a lot nicer if they didn't stop every loving block. Great, yeah, you don't have to walk as far now, but any trip takes for loving ever because the bus only travels 200 yards before pulling up at yet another empty stop.

Have you ridden a bus? They pass empty stops, here at least. You probably have some republicans mandating the stops to kill the program.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

thelightguy posted:

Oh it can still be lovely, the Boston T is a cesspool but it just has to be good enough. Simple things like having more than one bus an hour to the places people want to go and running express buses on a reasonable schedule to the next closest cities, transit center to transit center with no stops inbetween. (And that's not even getting in to the subways.)

Indeed. I have just gotten a new job.
My car commute is 10 minutes. My bus/light rail commute? In excess of an hour each way. And this is from an urban residential neighborhood to the core, if it was suburb to suburb, it'd be even worse.
Oh and the monthly bus pass costs the same as my parking. Why would I take public transit?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

nm posted:

Indeed. I have just gotten a new job.
My car commute is 10 minutes. My bus/light rail commute? In excess of an hour each way. And this is from an urban residential neighborhood to the core, if it was suburb to suburb, it'd be even worse.
Oh and the monthly bus pass costs the same as my parking. Why would I take public transit?

You probably wouldn't. You would if you had my commute - the bus is marginally quicker (because it gets its own lane and can jump traffic signals) and costs less than a third of what I'd pay for early bird parking (assuming it was even available)

E. It's raining so all the electric busses have stopped dead - guess that's what happens when you neglect infrastructure for years. At least my route is served by the diesels...

dissss fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Mar 16, 2015

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

dissss posted:

You probably wouldn't. You would if you had my commute - the bus is marginally quicker (because it gets its own lane and can jump traffic signals) and costs less than a third of what I'd pay for early bird parking (assuming it was even available)

For my commute, the closest bus stop point is 30 minutes from my house, about 1/2 of the way to the office (miles, not time), and from there I'd have to take the bus down-town, make a connection and take another bus to the hub thing of a different city, and then get another bus from there. My commute is terrible and takes me 70-90 minutes one-way, but the bus would take at least twice that, and force me into a schedule conforming to the buses, instead of just going in and working until I decide to leave. Also, getting to lunch would be quite a bit more interesting since the business park area I'm in has no food for about a mile in any direction, and I hate packing lunch, even though it would be cheaper and better for me.

I can see mass transit working for some people, and really well in the cities where it's done well like NYC, or maybe the Bay area, but in/around Phoenix, it's just crap unless you live and work in very specific areas.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
If I were to commute by bus it would take roughly 83 minutes with average to low traffic. My daily commute by car is about 19 minutes, and by motorcycle about 14 somehow in the same vague lazy traffic without any passing zones for 90% of it. I think I'm a wizard.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

ijustam posted:

People do get pulled over for coal rolling. This guy got pulled over by a mounted police officer, at that: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2I0dDzPyrtE
10min in, where the guy is pulled over on a side street, is that awesome noise an BP or PP red R100, or the black rx7 looking maybe thing?
I can't identify any of the cars in the background, they sound and look like a mazda though. e: too low an idle for a PP I think, but fark that is loud, it's their lucky day the horse patrol was busy I guess.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Mar 16, 2015

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

totalnewbie posted:

Have you ever been to Tokyo? It's confusing even after you've been/lived there, but nearly impossible to figure out for someone who's not familiar, partly because of the various different systems there are.

At least, in central Tokyo, there's only the subway and the JR, but even then, people often stare at one map looking for a station when it only exists in the other system.
I dunno, I found it pretty logical myself, but then I'm maybe already exposed to that kind of thing from using the tube in London, and the way they do the maps etc is similar. I'd imagine if you've not encountered a system like that before it'd be pretty daunting.

The Japanese rail system is generally fantastic, but I wouldn't want to be paying the full ticket prices - with one of the non-resident rail passes, though, it's unbeatable for getting around the country.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

And he has a stack cam. What a douche.

European spec diesels are not allowed in the US because of emissions yet this is completely legal :psyduck:

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Foxtrot_13 posted:

European spec diesels are not allowed in the US because of emissions yet this is completely legal :psyduck:

There's a difference between everyone having a smoky POS and a few assholes having a smoky POS.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
My local government is hoping to experiment with 18 months of free buses. People don't use the buses enough right now because historically the service has been relatively poor. It's actually improved a lot and most people who I hear complaining about it haven't taken a bus in years. The theory, as I can see it, is to get a big upsurge in people taking the buses because hey, it might be poo poo but at least it's free. Then use the extra traffic to get better data on how to design a better bus service that people might actually want to pay for.

My plan is to take the free buses to work for 18 months and put aside the money I save for a deposit on an electric motorcycle to replace my KTM for commuting.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I wouldn't take a free bus in Pittsburgh. A 6 mile trip from here to where I went this morning was 15 minutes in early morning traffic through a bunch of school zones. For the fun of it I looked at the bus routes.

One hour twenty eight minutes.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I'm in the same boat. I'm pretty sure I could walk to work faster than the bus would take.

ReelBigLizard posted:

My local government is hoping to experiment with 18 months of free buses.

I saw someone recommending free buses in NYC. They calculated that the time and gas spent collecting fares is greater than how much money the fares bring in.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Uthor posted:

I'm in the same boat. I'm pretty sure I could walk to work faster than the bus would take.

So for kicks I decided to use the actual route planner from Valley Metro, and I found out that there is a stop somewhat closer to my house (a park and ride). The earliest pick up is 6:15 am. The trip involves 3 buses and the light rail, and the ride in would drop me at the office at 8:45a, but the last outbound run would require that I get on the bus in front of my office at 4:11pm, to get back to the park & ride at 6:45pm. So I'd be leaving my house at 5:45a and getting home at 7:15pm in order to be at the office for about 7 hours. I'm sure my employer would be fine with this. Hahaha..

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

The Locator posted:

So for kicks I decided to use the actual route planner from Valley Metro, and I found out that there is a stop somewhat closer to my house (a park and ride). The earliest pick up is 6:15 am. The trip involves 3 buses and the light rail, and the ride in would drop me at the office at 8:45a, but the last outbound run would require that I get on the bus in front of my office at 4:11pm, to get back to the park & ride at 6:45pm. So I'd be leaving my house at 5:45a and getting home at 7:15pm in order to be at the office for about 7 hours. I'm sure my employer would be fine with this. Hahaha..

I did a similar thing with my route when I lived at my last house. I could take the light rail from the park and ride which is fantastic. However the light rail here simply stops downtown and I work further south near the airport. I'm sure they wanted to capitalize on getting a cut of parking revenue at the airport so that stop was never on the agenda.

The route would take 2 hour and 28 minutes and cost $7.25 if I wanted to take the bus to the park and ride, or 1 hour 50 minutes if I drove to the park and ride first, only $6 this way!

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

The Locator posted:

So for kicks I decided to use the actual route planner from Valley Metro, and I found out that there is a stop somewhat closer to my house (a park and ride).

Huh, looking now, seems like there's an east - west route a couple blocks to me which would link up to the north - south route that goes by my work. That wouldn't be too bad.

My last apartment had a bus stop in the parking lot. That route went only down town. To go anywhere other than down town, you'd have to go down town, transfer there, then go where you wanted to. It would be faster to walk up the steepest hill in the city with no sidewalks and pick up a different bus like a mile away.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Uthor posted:

Huh, looking now, seems like there's an east - west route a couple blocks to me which would link up to the north - south route that goes by my work. That wouldn't be too bad.

My last apartment had a bus stop in the parking lot. That route went only down town. To go anywhere other than down town, you'd have to go down town, transfer there, then go where you wanted to. It would be faster to walk up the steepest hill in the city with no sidewalks and pick up a different bus like a mile away.

This is a huge problem in a lot of cities (luckily, I live downtown, so it's fairly convenient for me, but it's lovely for everyone else). Every bus route is aimed either at getting you to the LRT to take you downtown, or taking you directly downtown.

Montreal was nice, because they had routes that were simply named for the street they went up and down, and if you wanted to go somewhere on that street, you'd know to take that bus. You didn't need to look at a map or schedule or anything! It was so easy! Why can't more cities do that?

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
If you want to see why we'll never get good public transport look up Cincinnati's debacle with the streetcar.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cincinnati_Streetcar

tl:dr there have been fights against it from the beginning, largely from people who don't even live near downtown. Early plans had it extending into 2 Kentucky Cities across the river and out of downtown up to UC and some hospitals north of the city. Now it's been cut down to a small route just in downtown. The mayor who took over in 2013 ran on a platform to kill the streetcar completely. The only reason he didn't go thru with it was money. By the time he tried to kill it, it was actually going to cost more to not build the streetcar than to build it, with all the grants and funding the city would have to return and what had already been spent.

"Just add a new bus route" say people who would never ride a bus, ever.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Uthor posted:

I saw someone recommending free buses in NYC. They calculated that the time and gas spent collecting fares is greater than how much money the fares bring in.

By "gas spent" you just mean the gas the buses burn while idling as people board and pay? If so yeah that's pretty crazy. I figured by now they had integrated the subway MTA cards or something so you just swipe them by an rfid reader. The World's Capital my fanny, get on your game NYC.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

davebo posted:

By "gas spent" you just mean the gas the buses burn while idling as people board and pay? If so yeah that's pretty crazy. I figured by now they had integrated the subway MTA cards or something so you just swipe them by an rfid reader. The World's Capital my fanny, get on your game NYC.

Even in Chicago where our transit cards use NFC, it's a solid 15 seconds per person if everything runs smoothly. Maybe 1 person in 3 has to try again, and 1 in 10 spends a solid minute standing there, mind boggled, wondering what on earth "Insufficient Fare' could mean.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
Speaking of public transportation:

Here is how you cripple an entire city during peak commute times
Portland Metro Monday Traffic: MAX lines delayed due to early non-TriMet crash downtown at Fifth and Morrison

Dude made an illegal right turn in a garbage truck and took out a pedestrian on a street where almost all of the light rail lines meet. poo poo is still not open yet.

edit: heavy delays through 10:30 am.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

I don't understand how anyone who's been on a good, comprehensive rail system could be against it. Unlike driving, you can use the metro when you're drunk, and when more people take transit, it makes driving so much more pleasant because there's fewer "people you share a road with."

The entire time I was in Madrid, which was admittedly only a few days, I didn't have to use a taxi or bus even once (except for a free shuttle from the airport to my hotel, which was near a metro station anyway). So, so loving convenient and easy.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Parked in the way back of the Wal-Mart parking lot because the weather is nice and lord knows I could use the extra steps. As i was backing out, I checked over both shoulders and nobody was there, so started going. Before I know it, a lovely looking Stratus flies down the aisle at like 40mph and has the gall to honk at me. If you don't want to have to dodge cars in a parking lot maybe you shouldn't be going 40 miles an hour?

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Triangle tits and an annoying sex voice?

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

tuna posted:

:lol: pulled over by a horse. What a oval office.

This, in general, is honestly amazing.

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

And he has a stack cam. What a douche.

I always though stacks in a pickup bed just looked poo poo, but then to have stack cam, to show your bros your smoke. Ugh.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Triangle tits and an annoying sex voice?

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

DEAR RICHARD posted:

Speaking of public transportation:

Here is how you cripple an entire city during peak commute times
Portland Metro Monday Traffic: MAX lines delayed due to early non-TriMet crash downtown at Fifth and Morrison

Dude made an illegal right turn in a garbage truck and took out a pedestrian on a street where almost all of the light rail lines meet. poo poo is still not open yet.

edit: heavy delays through 10:30 am.

I'll see if it's still on the Dashcam, guy on the M25 (London's motorway ring road) changed lanes without sufficient space today, ended up having a collision with two HGV trucks. Other carriageway, stationary, all 3 lanes blocked. drat was i glad i was going the other way.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

PT6A posted:

I don't understand how anyone who's been on a good, comprehensive rail system could be against it. Unlike driving, you can use the metro when you're drunk, and when more people take transit, it makes driving so much more pleasant because there's fewer "people you share a road with."

On Chicago's Metra you can actually drink on the train. I lived there for 4 years (suburbs, actually) and we'd walk down to the Metra station with our booze to get to downtown. It was loving great. 20 minutes of kicking back with a drink vs 1.5 hours of mind-numbing traffic and fighting for parking spots.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Of course Chicago's rail fails spectacularly in many other ways to make up for the ability to sip some booze en route.

Like, say, zero parking in the suburbs. Naperville has a ~8 year waiting list just to get a parking permit at the train station. :suicide:

It's a problem with many other suburbs too.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

xzzy posted:

Like, say, zero parking in the suburbs. Naperville has a ~8 year waiting list just to get a parking permit at the train station. :suicide:

Why is it that, when it comes to parking, no one ends up advocating for the free-market solution when it's obviously ideal? Raise prices until there's around 95% occupancy during peak times. Voi-la! Don't like it? Take the bus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

PT6A posted:

Why is it that, when it comes to parking, no one ends up advocating for the free-market solution when it's obviously ideal? Raise prices until there's around 95% occupancy during peak times. Voi-la! Don't like it? Take the bus.

I have started taking the bus to my bus station (I take 3 buses into work, although one is a free shuttle through downtown Denver) and it really honestly isn't terrible, and my car gets broken into 100% less at home. It's really not all that bad.

Does add time to the commute, but it's nice to be able to gently caress around on my phone or read a book for an hour instead of letting traffic raise my blood pressure.