Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Manziel leaving rehab for a day or 2 seems pretty normal to me after being in there for 6 weeks. Even the guy that shot regean gets to leave the hospital sometimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

say no to bats
Aug 15, 2001
Rumblee tumblee, climin' a hunny tree

Metapod posted:

i think he is saying he wishes they didn't comeback as the browns so people would remember the browns as a proud winning organization rather than the freak show it is now

I'd rather have the Cleveland ANIMALNAME than the Cleveland Browns. The one and only thing the Browns had going for them is the legendary history, a GOAT contender at QB and HC, arguably the best player of all time in Jim Brown, a slew of HoFers, etc. Hell, loving Otto Graham has a ridiculously good completion % and QB rating compared to all of his other HoF contemporaries from his era and for awhile after.

Problem with that incredible history is it start 69 loving years ago and ended 51 ago between Paul Brown being fired by Modell and Jim Brown retiring young. All people not in their late 60s and 70s+ remember now are the hilarious "Cleveland lol" poo poo like Red Right 88, The Drive, The Fumble, etc. At least if the Browns history had moved out of town they would have an era of greatness for the first time in half a century added to it.

Instead its 25 years of hilarious incompetence that is just exhausting to have to hear about constantly. Even rival AFCN fans rarely bother to try to have banter about the Browns. What can they say, or even make up a lie about, that is as bad or worse than the real events that happen year to year with the team?

Plus then the Cavs and Indians have managed some of their own hilarious legendary fuckups as well in the past quarter century and it just piles on.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Sometimes I wonder how much of the Browns misfortunes can be tied to the Division they are in.

The Browns, over the last decade, have never been the absolute worst team, but they have always felt like it. I think a lot of that is because they are rivals with arguably the best collectively run division in the league. The Ravens inherited the office of the original Browns, the Rooneys are self-explanatory, and even though the Bengals are less successful they have a surprisingly stable and patient front office who I do not think I have ever seen overreact or make a less-than-prudent decision.

Like, imagine if the Colts and Browns changed divisions. I do not think they would look nearly as hopeless against Houston, Jacksonville, and Tennessee and Indy would probably not look nearly as dominant.

You're both right and wrong. The Browns have lost more games than anyone since 99, they tied the expansion TB Bucs "never to be matched" record of 10 out of 11 years in a row losing double digit games, etc.

(Browns have 84 wins, Lions 88 since 99, the two contenders for the worst)

But they also frequently play in a division that sends 2 or 3 teams to the playoffs. And they usually win 0-1 divisional games which is a quick half of their annual loss total right there.

It also really stings that Ozzie became as good of a GM/talent evaluator as there has ever been and its been entirely for the loving Ravens. It sure doesn't get old watching them plug and play guys on both sides of the ball and poo poo works out even when they let a lot of FAs walk or people get old, etc.

Basically this.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

say no to bats posted:

It also really stings that Ozzie became as good of a GM/talent evaluator as there has ever been and its been entirely for the loving Ravens. It sure doesn't get old watching them plug and play guys on both sides of the ball and poo poo works out even when they let a lot of FAs walk or people get old, etc.

What Ozzie has become great at, talent evaluation aside, is taking advantage of the league's program of supplemental draft picks, and only after the post-Dilfer cap hell years.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Sometimes I wonder how much of the Browns misfortunes can be tied to the Division they are in.

The Browns, over the last decade, have never been the absolute worst team, but they have always felt like it. I think a lot of that is because they are rivals with arguably the best collectively run division in the league. The Ravens inherited the office of the original Browns, the Rooneys are self-explanatory, and even though the Bengals are less successful they have a surprisingly stable and patient front office who I do not think I have ever seen overreact or make a less-than-prudent decision.

This is a very good post and one I happen to agree with.

When you look at their division rivals in the forms of the Steelers, Ravens and Bengals? I've seen them consistently at least be able to slug it out with those 3 for about a 3 and 1/2 quarters. And you know when it was the Steelers with say...Kordell, Graham or even non-2002 era Tommy Maddox? The Browns seem to always consistently at least had the ability to steal a win from them. Sort of the same thing with the Ravens pre-Flacco. Having those two QB's allowed those two to serve up a knock out punch on the Browns. By the time the second matchup would come? The Browns are pretty much already suffering from a loaded up IR and low spirits so it becomes an easy win. That's 4 guaranteed losses just by that fact alone.

I've never felt like the Browns have been short on defensive talent to compete in the division. Where they've always fell short has been at finding that "TKO" player on offense to either put the game away or help them fight back when they've been hit with an uppercut.

RVT
Nov 5, 2003

FuzzySkinner posted:

When you look at their division rivals in the forms of the Steelers, Ravens and Bengals? I've seen them consistently at least be able to slug it out with those 3 for about a 3 and 1/2 quarters.

I love the Browns, but being able to slug it out for 3 and 1/2 quarters doesn't count for poo poo.

The Browns have had a sick OL and a really good DL in recent years. But unlike the cliche, NFL games aren't totally won in the trenches. They need some skill positions to help them out. They got Peyton Hillis, who is terrible, on the cover of Madden.

I don't wish they had never been brought back. I just wish all these people that say they've been a joke for 50 years remembered the 80s when they tore the AFC up. I guess my friends don't care about stuff that happened when we were 1-6 years old, but the Browns still won some playoff games after Jim Brown retired.

goc
Mar 26, 2013

I joined the new sensation, the #RXT REVOLUTION~!

:chillout:

he knows...

RVT posted:

The Browns have had a sick OL and a really good DL in recent years. But unlike the cliche, NFL games aren't totally won in the trenches. They need some skill positions to help them out. They got Peyton Hillis, who is terrible, on the cover of Madden.
I am pretty sure Peyton Hillis became terrible after that year because he was like the ONLY weapon on that offense and just completely broke his body with his style of running over people while not really being very big. He wasn't terrible when he had the great year that got him on the cover of Madden.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
He was also insane.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

goc posted:

I am pretty sure Peyton Hillis became terrible after that year because he was like the ONLY weapon on that offense and just completely broke his body with his style of running over people while not really being very big. He wasn't terrible when he had the great year that got him on the cover of Madden.

If I am correct there is thought that Lawrence Vickers the FB was a key reason he was successful. The Browns let him go and next season Hilis didn't do so hot.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Gatts posted:

If I am correct there is thought that Lawrence Vickers the FB was a key reason he was successful. The Browns let him go and next season Hilis didn't do so hot.

Maybe key, but Hillis made plenty of plays in the open field on his own that he never replicated. Dude had a hell of year.

goc
Mar 26, 2013

I joined the new sensation, the #RXT REVOLUTION~!

:chillout:

he knows...

Volkerball posted:

Maybe key, but Hillis made plenty of plays in the open field on his own that he never replicated. Dude had a hell of year.
I was about to post this also. There are plenty of highlights you can find of him breaking tackles, hurtling dudes or just running people over in open space that year.

HarlanHell
Nov 16, 2012

Nevermind that shit here comes Mingo!
Hillis is a guy who just seemed to lose all of his intensity, and drive once he realized one year of busting his rear end wasn't going to payoff in a monster contract. I'm really glad the Browns didn't sign him to a huge deal because, if he did get paid there's a good chance he would have fizzled out afterward. At this point he seems like a classic under achiever who is only interested in being good enough to hang around the league.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
I agree with the Browns and their division being one of the reasons they never make the playoffs. In many divisions they probably could have snuck in at least once. The other three teams are really well run so any mistakes cannot be covered up. Even though the Steelers are about to finally pay the piper for kicking the can down the road, the Ravens and Bengals are still sitting pretty. There is no margin for error in the AFC North, and the Browns commit too many errors.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

I hope the Browns move again

TNG
Jan 4, 2001

by Lowtax
To Shreveport Louisiana.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

RVT posted:

I love the Browns, but being able to slug it out for 3 and 1/2 quarters doesn't count for poo poo.

It does in the same way to illustrate that this is not the 1999-2000 era Browns where they shouldn't have been on an NFL field. The Browns aren't historically bad, but they keep running into two problems:

1. tough division with two top quarterbacks.
2. the browns not having a quarterback to come back and duel those two.

I seem to recall a lot of games with the following script happening

1- Browns actually lead at the half, 3rd quarter or what have you.
2. Steelers find a way to come back late.
3. Browns struggle to make a 1st down with what ever random "QB of the future they've drafted"
4. Steelers manage to score, take the lead and the Browns are left looking hapless with about 3-4 minutes to go.
5. Interception/Sack/gently caress up of some sort. Steelers win, cue shots of native ohioans waving yellow towels.

Then the whole season deflates from there and we're led to seeing some sort of 41-0 beatdown with the Browns starting some random street Free Agent.

Obviously if you removed the Steelers from having some loving Elway clone under center and back to the time when they had Kordell Stewart taking snaps? I don't think the Browns are that historically inept against them since the return. Same with the Ravens really. Remember, in 2007 the Ravens got SWEPT by the Browns when they were playing with Kyle Boller and a well past his prime Steve McNair.

Chris James 2 posted:

I hope the Browns move again

FTFY.

uncle wrinkles
May 27, 2006

WOW I AM A SHITTY POST COOL HUH
The Browns have the fourth-worst record in non-divisional games since 2003.

(note: This includes playoff games, hence the slight difference in overall games played)

RVT
Nov 5, 2003

uncle wrinkles posted:

Listen dawg, we need this "the AFCN is a murder division" thing. Don't ruin this for us.

goc posted:

Peyton Hillis isn't big? huh?

I've got him at 6-2 (or 6-3/4ths I guess sources disgaree), 250. How big do you want your running back?

Couple other downhill runners I'm familiar with being from Dallas:

Marion Barber III - 5-11, 218lb
Demarco Murray - 6-0, 217lb

RVT fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Mar 16, 2015

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

say no to bats posted:

I'd rather have the Cleveland ANIMALNAME than the Cleveland Browns. The one and only thing the Browns had going for them is the legendary history, a GOAT contender at QB and HC, arguably the best player of all time in Jim Brown, a slew of HoFers, etc. Hell, loving Otto Graham has a ridiculously good completion % and QB rating compared to all of his other HoF contemporaries from his era and for awhile after.

Problem with that incredible history is it start 69 loving years ago and ended 51 ago between Paul Brown being fired by Modell and Jim Brown retiring young. All people not in their late 60s and 70s+ remember now are the hilarious "Cleveland lol" poo poo like Red Right 88, The Drive, The Fumble, etc. At least if the Browns history had moved out of town they would have an era of greatness for the first time in half a century added to it.

Instead its 25 years of hilarious incompetence that is just exhausting to have to hear about constantly. Even rival AFCN fans rarely bother to try to have banter about the Browns. What can they say, or even make up a lie about, that is as bad or worse than the real events that happen year to year with the team?
It's kind of funny how the Steelers are pretty much the opposite because they were loving terrible until the 70s.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Hillis started out as a fullback. He's big. And lol at the idea that the Browns would be anything other than slightly less historically terrible if they were in a different division. There were maybe 2-3 years since '98 when the Browns looked somewhat competitive and not a complete laughingstock.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
And holy poo poo the Raiders are worst by miles. I knew it was bad, but :stare:. One year they went 8-8 while sweeping the division. First team in history to ever do it and not make the playoffs.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

uncle wrinkles posted:

(note: This includes playoff games, hence the slight difference in overall games played)

So the other teams have played more games because they've made the playoffs. Truly, this proves the Browns would not make the playoffs more often in a different division

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/mock-drafts/brian-baldinger/245600

Baldinger mocks Mariotta to the Browns at 12, lol

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

Browns gonna shock the nation by trading 3 years of the draft for the #1 and #2 picks

And then not spend a pick on a quarterback until #23

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
They tried to trade for larry fitzgerald. Always trying never succeeding.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Reading about draft prospects on the 17th and 18th pages is depressing and hilarious.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Raku posted:

Browns gonna shock the nation by trading 3 years of the draft for the #1 and #2 picks

And then not spend a pick on a quarterback until #23

Real talk is there any QB prospect out there worth a drat?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Mariota and Winston are pretty much the only two big names this year. I suppose you could also make a case for Connor Halliday maybe?

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
Bryce Petty?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Chilichimp posted:

Bryce Petty?

lol no

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
nm wrong team

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Welp, thought this was the draft thread

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
They signed some old people today.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Tanier argues that Chris Bonner is.
http://m.bleacherreport.com/articles/2377065-chris-bonner-the-best-qb-draft-prospect-you-havent-heard-about-yet

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

NFL Films just showed clips of "The Drive".

Even though I wasn't alive at time if there was one single person for leading us to the point where we are now, I think we can all agree with one thing.

gently caress John Elway.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

FuzzySkinner posted:

NFL Films just showed clips of "The Drive".

Even though I wasn't alive at time if there was one single person for leading us to the point where we are now, I think we can all agree with one thing.

gently caress John Elway.

allahu ackbar.

HarlanHell
Nov 16, 2012

Nevermind that shit here comes Mingo!
My first memory of watching the Browns was the 1988 AFC championship. I remember playing with my action figures on the floor, while my uncle and grandpa watched the game. I remember cheering with them and getting all excited because they were excited and happy. Then suddenly my uncle cussed real loud threw down the remote put on his shoes and slammed the door, and I started crying. So the Browns have been making me cry since at least the age of four. Why couldn't I have been every other child of the early 90s and been a Cowboys fan?

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

HarlanHell posted:

My first memory of watching the Browns was the 1988 AFC championship. I remember playing with my action figures on the floor, while my uncle and grandpa watched the game. I remember cheering with them and getting all excited because they were excited and happy. Then suddenly my uncle cussed real loud threw down the remote put on his shoes and slammed the door, and I started crying. So the Browns have been making me cry since at least the age of four. Why couldn't I have been every other child of the early 90s and been a Cowboys fan?

Your family protected you from a terrible fate.

Zypher
Sep 3, 2009

Rutgers

Your 2006
Mythical National
Champions!
This belongs to be archived here

quote:

NFL Network's Charley Casserly reports the Browns offered a first-round pick for Sam Bradford.
Per Casserly, it's unknown if the pick was offered before or after Bradford's trade to Philadelphia. Our guess is before, but it's certainly possible the Browns are the team Eagles coach Chip Kelly referred to in last week's presser. The Browns have been engaged in a quixotic quest to upgrade their quarterback position this offseason. So far, all they've managed is giving erratic journeyman Josh McCown $6.5 million guaranteed. By default, Johnny Manziel is still in the team's 2015 plans. That would likely change if they add another signal caller to their quarterback room.

I think everyone assumed if Chip and Jeff weren't lying, this was the only true possibility.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
They offered the #19 pick for bradford lol. Bet they trade the #12 on draft day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
Bradford is better than any QB they'd take at 19 so what the hell why not

• Locked thread