Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Cummander ross, reporting for duty!

:gooncamp:
I am suddenly really loving bad at this. I am not sure how or why, but it's very discouraging. :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valle
Apr 16, 2004

Telling customers how to solve world problems since 2001

Kuntz posted:

So this just happened. Not a premium account.

:snoop: :signings: :snoop:

I couldn't help but notice that it says you spent 6min 32sec in battle, and in that time traveled 33,46km. This means you had an average speed of 307,3kph, or 191 mph! Now those are some fast ships!

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

In my Saipan I've really noticed the step up in AA, attacking anywhere near a tier VI cruiser is just "whelp gonna lose 1-2 planes and he'll probably use that ability that makes 1 squad freak out and miss entirely", which extends to any nearby juicy battleships.

Likewise even a tier V carrier is a lovely idea to attack as long as they still got their fighters, but even their AA and quick maneuvering will really make any attack against them not worth it (because usually a carrier is also the target furthest away = drop in "flights per minute" or whatever metric you use for carrier attacks).

Destroyer AA isn't super deadly, but certainly annoying at tier VI. Probably lose planes just hanging around nearby and hitting destroyers is well... not easy.

Battleship AA isn't super, but it seems to be really long ranged so any attack run has to be set up further away and there's less time for last minute corrections.

Tier VII+ may become a giant pain in the rear end as more AA gets added, but maybe the upgraded fighters and bombers get even more health that more than makes up for it? :iiam:

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

hopterque posted:

Any time any planes fly over my cleveland it's just "enemy plane shot down" over and over again, it's great. I can't even imagine what the really high tier AA is like.

Cleveland has amazing aa for its tier, especially if you can get right on the planes' path and let the oerlikons shred on them. Baltimore and Senjo have huge firepower and Des Moines has a ridiculous bubble of coverage, but they're going up against much tougher planes.

I'm not really convinced that going for point blank attacks against high tier planes is the way to go. Maybe to try to alpha a battleship out, but it might be best to try to mess up battleships' angling and herd them so friendly battleships can gut them and you can still have big air wings for the endgame. That would take some tight coordination though.

xthetenth fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Mar 16, 2015

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

For the record I wouldn't mind it at all if cruisers got decent AA earlier than now, kinda part of their specific class kit except it's entirely missing (in any meaningful way) in tier 1-4 and not even tier 5 counts. The sooner pubbies learn that part of their job is AA duty the better, yes?

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Lol.i halbve already saod i inferno circstances wanttpgback

Pimpmust posted:

The sooner pubbies learn that part of their job is AA duty the better, yes?

Pubbies never learn, but yes. Ships in the earlier tiers should have a little bit better AAA than they have, in general.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Pubbies never learn, but yes. Ships in the earlier tiers should have a little bit better AAA than they have, in general.

Well, when you have a BB with no AA on it and you're only defense against torp runs is maneuvering...

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Valle posted:

I couldn't help but notice that it says you spent 6min 32sec in battle, and in that time traveled 33,46km. This means you had an average speed of 307,3kph, or 191 mph! Now those are some fast ships!
And when you fire torpedoes at a ship 5 km away, they'll cover the distance in a matter of seconds. Let that sink in for a moment. ( :downsrim: )

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

I'm sure Gaijin will come up with Realistic Mode Naval Battles with stormy night battles where you spend 30 minutes maneuvering before even seeing ship smoke on the horizon.

On the plus side the gun/kill cam will be amazing :getin:

RIP 2017 or whenever.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Time compression. That's the reason.

TCD posted:

Well, when you have a BB with no AA on it and you're only defense against torp runs is maneuvering...

It is a pretty good defense but that is a problem with concepts predating WWI. Looking forward to the US ships.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !

Pimpmust posted:

For the record I wouldn't mind it at all if cruisers got decent AA earlier than now, kinda part of their specific class kit except it's entirely missing (in any meaningful way) in tier 1-4 and not even tier 5 counts. The sooner pubbies learn that part of their job is AA duty the better, yes?

You used the words pubbies and learn in one sentence, back to sunday goon school with you.

Facing a Langley is not so bad with it's biplanes but the Independence is already a different beast. I also think that the relation between cruisers/BB and CVs is off by one tier. And it gets uglier with the Saipan and the mod 3 planes, because then you can launch 2 squadrons of TBs which have enough firepower to sink a Kongo in a single run if done properly.

I'm now in a Lexington and if left unmolested then my first strike usually sinks or at least badly cripples a BB. But - in the few instances where pubbies actually stuck together and cruisers used their barrage ability things became a lot harder and every strike could cost upwards of 50% of my planes.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Were beta keys like instantly assigned if you mashed the sign up button as soon as it started this weekend or is everyone just in from previous beta weekends?

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Some idiot was complaining that the game was too arcadey and not simulator enough. I really can't think of a game filled with more boredom than a simulator ship game. 5th volley sir, our guns are almost on target, nope they are changing direction better start over.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

Hammerstein posted:

You used the words pubbies and learn in one sentence, back to sunday goon school with you.

I couldn't imagine a more boring game than sitting deadstill 18km from the nearest target while battleships do a low rent impersonation of WOT artillery for 20mins.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Eej posted:

Were beta keys like instantly assigned if you mashed the sign up button as soon as it started this weekend or is everyone just in from previous beta weekends?

I think most people here got in from previous sessions

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Hammerstein posted:

Facing a Langley is not so bad with it's biplanes but the Independence is already a different beast. I also think that the relation between cruisers/BB and CVs is off by one tier. And it gets uglier with the Saipan and the mod 3 planes, because then you can launch 2 squadrons of TBs which have enough firepower to sink a Kongo in a single run if done properly.

I'm now in a Lexington and if left unmolested then my first strike usually sinks or at least badly cripples a BB. But - in the few instances where pubbies actually stuck together and cruisers used their barrage ability things became a lot harder and every strike could cost upwards of 50% of my planes.

I don't actually expect them to learn, but on occasion they'll end up doing the right thing just from random chance.

Not sure if I'll bother grinding up beyond maybe the tier VII carrier - the grind takes off real quickly about there and with the closed beta progress 95% getting wiped on release it seems like a smarter idea to try out different trees (if we had more dock slots).

SuperSix
Aug 22, 2012
It's still a pain playing IJN DDs

Although their concealment is crazy. 6km detection basically means i can slip through most maps and right to the CVs, that + smoke is almost a guaranteed carrier kill or two

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Has anyone else noticed weird behavior from your ships when traveling around islands? Example last night I was cruising between two small islands, pretty close to one and without touching anything my ships just decided to veer right into the island. I wasn't under fire and took a hit to my steering or anything my ship just decided it would be best to turn right into it.

VVV I thought the collision avoidance was just the alarm that goes off, if it actually moves your ship for you that is probably what it was.

BadLlama fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Mar 16, 2015

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

BadLlama posted:

Has anyone else noticed weird behavior from your ships when traveling around islands? Example last night I was cruising between two small islands, pretty close to one and without touching anything my ships just decided to veer right into the island. I wasn't under fire and took a hit to my steering or anything my ship just decided it would be best to turn right into it.

Do you have the collision avoidance system turned on? My experience with that one is that it won't get you out of collisions, but it sure will get you into them.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

Pimpmust posted:

I don't actually expect them to learn, but on occasion they'll end up doing the right thing just from random chance.

Not sure if I'll bother grinding up beyond maybe the tier VII carrier - the grind takes off real quickly about there and with the closed beta progress 95% getting wiped on release it seems like a smarter idea to try out different trees (if we had more dock slots).

I was in alpha and I honestly don't see myself playing carriers once there are no more wipes. They are in an odd spot, being even more scary than WoT artillery if unopposed but on the other hand they take away the strongest and most fun part of the game, namely the ship to ship battles and the gratifying moments when your 16" shells hit home and blow up something in one salvo. Or the horrid race between life and death when you do a torp run in a DD.

CVs scratch the rts itch a bit, which is why I tried them now. But ultimately it's more fun to play the other classes.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

Hammerstein posted:

..they take away the strongest and most fun part of the game, namely the ship to ship battles and the gratifying moments when your 16" shells hit home and blow up something in one salvo. Or the horrid race between life and death when you do a torp run in a DD.

That pretty much sums it up. CV's are almost a game within a game. making GBS threads on other ships is the whole fun of this game.

KcDohl
Jun 18, 2004
LORK ON TEH CLORF
Dinosaur Gum

Hammerstein posted:

Or even a Nagato!

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
I wouldn't give a poo poo about CVs if I could have my Montana already, Iowa or South Dakota (?) would do too, just anything with a 16" on it.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

So, in my Saipan hanging out in the western corner of that map with the central islands.

Things are not going well for the team, pretty much just me, another carrier and two battleships left vs half the enemy team.

And they got us cornered. Two enemy battleships to the north, halfway down the map heading straight for us. Two destroyers from the east, coming our way fast. Our own battleship goes of to try to salvage the cap.

We get the first destroyer through a combined effort of dive bombers, torpedo bombers (none hit) and secondary guns.

My torp planes, after rearming, make short work of the easternmost battleship.

Friendly carrier gets sunk. Second destroyer is up my rear end and launching torpedoes, I narrowly dodge - I get clipped by one though on the second attempt.

Remaining enemy battleship is now less than 7 km away and closing.

Enemy destroyer is turning towards my bow to finish me off.

The enemy is seconds away from capping our base.

There can be only one response.

gently caress you, Destroyer! Engage Ramming Speed, mr Sulu!

A Good Game.

TwatHammer
Sep 29, 2014

So, this just happened. A full game consisting of mostly Fuso's and other battleships.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Divebombers are dogshit. I just had a full squad miss all their bombs on a beached, immobile phoenix with 200hp. Coming in from the bow.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
Carriers are much more fun than playing arty in World of Tanks, but I'd rather play the other ships. Some other nerds I know through a friend were playing a carrier division where one carried the fighters and the other carried the bombers. They cleaned up pretty well working together.

Pimpmust posted:

In my Saipan I've really noticed the step up in AA, attacking anywhere near a tier VI cruiser is just "whelp gonna lose 1-2 planes and he'll probably use that ability that makes 1 squad freak out and miss entirely", which extends to any nearby juicy battleships.

Likewise even a tier V carrier is a lovely idea to attack as long as they still got their fighters, but even their AA and quick maneuvering will really make any attack against them not worth it (because usually a carrier is also the target furthest away = drop in "flights per minute" or whatever metric you use for carrier attacks).

Destroyer AA isn't super deadly, but certainly annoying at tier VI. Probably lose planes just hanging around nearby and hitting destroyers is well... not easy.

Battleship AA isn't super, but it seems to be really long ranged so any attack run has to be set up further away and there's less time for last minute corrections.

Tier VII+ may become a giant pain in the rear end as more AA gets added, but maybe the upgraded fighters and bombers get even more health that more than makes up for it? :iiam:

Oh, I didn't know that the cruiser AA barrage ability extended to other vessels.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

MoraleHazard posted:

Carriers are much more fun than playing arty in World of Tanks, but I'd rather play the other ships. Some other nerds I know through a friend were playing a carrier division where one carried the fighters and the other carried the bombers. They cleaned up pretty well working together.

Oh, I didn't know that the cruiser AA barrage ability extended to other vessels.

I've not yet played a CL that far so I don't know exactly how it works from their end, but on my end they just make a squadron go "nope" and like double the spread of their attack pattern for quite awhile, regardless of target.

And yeah, seconding that playing a CV you don't get to really see much of the sweet ships up close, which is why I'll be running something else once release hits. Whatever crazy stuff the Russians end up getting will be... interesting.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
I really want to play this but I hadn't paid attention to the WoT thread or the news for this in weeks/months so now I'm stuck reading posts getting sad.

Was there any benefits of being a WoT beta tester or anything?

Mazz fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Mar 16, 2015

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

rossmum posted:

I am suddenly really loving bad at this. I am not sure how or why, but it's very discouraging. :sigh:
I'm having the same issue. Not a single even decent game this evening. If I don't die to my own stupid blunders I just get stupid horrible luck, and everyone I try to torpedo is like a loving Grammaton cleric from Equilibrium.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

AAchat time I guess:

AA is a dot applied around your ship. There's clearly some number magic in how it gets split between planes and so on, but the most important thing is that it passively deals damage to planes in its radius. When you look at ships in the harbor, the dpm numbers are for all weapons of that type, so you can just look at all those numbers and calculate. Unfortunately I have neither the ships nor the training room access to properly check whether range scaling exists, but I remember hearing that a Baltimore has more dpm at close range than a Des Moines which would likely indicate no. Anyway, there's a suppressive effect to it, especially the bigger guns iirc that does fun things like make torp bombers spray torpedoes like buckshot, which means you have to close to point blank to get still bad accuracy. The cruiser ability amps that up, and they're putting that stuff up from 5km. Don't go near cruisers unnecessarily with planes and definitely don't go right over them. Always pick the target without a cruiser buddy. On the other hand, in cruisers do try to interpose yourself on prime attack positions. If your AA is where half of a hammer and anvil is going to come from, the battleship can steer right into the torpedo squadron and comb wakes for one or none, and maybe change speed a bit to avoid the one or two torps from the other side.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Mazz posted:

Was there any benefits of being a WoT beta tester or anything?

There was nothing stated but maybe WoT testers would be higher in the queue to get in than none WoT testers? Seems like a reasonable assumption.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

Vengarr posted:

Divebombers are dogshit. I just had a full squad miss all their bombs on a beached, immobile phoenix with 200hp. Coming in from the bow.

Did you use manual ? Beached pubs are probably the only time you want to use manual DBs. And yes, DBs are poo poo and I'm happy that the Lex gets a 2xfighters, 2xtorps setup.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Do dive bombers have any use beyond being sent in first to hopefully set fire to the ship you're about to torp? It's amazing how often pubbies blow their repair on the fire and then can't do anything about the flooding. Destroyers seem way too small and fast to be hit by bombers.

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

I am a master storyteller.
Remember that you can hammer and anvil your torpedoes with a destroyer, the same way you would with a carrier. That seems to be the best way to ensure that enemy destroyers die.

Also, dive bombers are effective against destroyers if you can hit them.

SuperSix
Aug 22, 2012

Adventure Pigeon posted:

Remember that you can hammer and anvil your torpedoes with a destroyer, the same way you would with a carrier. That seems to be the best way to ensure that enemy destroyers die.

Also, dive bombers are effective against destroyers if you can hit them.

That's why I hate the fact that high tier DD's only have 2 launchers instead of 3.

With 3 launchers I can shoot one thats on point, one that hits if the enemy accelerates, and one that hits if he slows down or turn away.

With two it's a lot harder

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Tried to T-bone a stationary Wickes (Tier III DD) in my own Tier III DD, but it only resulted in me dying and him taking like 75% damage + flooding.

First time ramming hasn't caused both ships to explode so far :wotwot:

Unrelated but netted my first BB kill in a DD, he came out of the smoke screen like 400 meters away and took my torpedo bukkake head on.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.
Phontomen's videos sold me on this, it looks like a lot of good fun to dump torpedoes into boats. Sorry if this comes up every page, but how often are they sending out invites to the closed beta?

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

There is something very satisfying when you can unload all your torpedoes in a tight spread and have them all slam into one target. Just murder the poo poo out of them.

CV torpedoes doing like 18K damage from want torpedo is kind of insane in my opinion but I haven't played a CV so not sure how hard it is to hit targets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

I am a master storyteller.

SuperSix posted:

That's why I hate the fact that high tier DD's only have 2 launchers instead of 3.

With 3 launchers I can shoot one thats on point, one that hits if the enemy accelerates, and one that hits if he slows down or turn away.

With two it's a lot harder

Yeah, I'm not looking forward to the tier 6 Japanese destroyer. Ah well, once I get to the high tiers I'll make the most beautiful patterns with my horrific torpedo swarms.