Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

Darth TNT posted:

Cortana isn't available in my country either. However I set my country to the UK, my regional format to my own country so the currency and time looks correct and OS language to English which enables it. You can set the keyboard language to your native language as well. So far it has been really good at understanding my English and contact names, but most town names are a lot more difficult for her. I really like having her though since it means I don't have to touch my phone at all while driving and making reminders works well.
Her attempts at parsing messages in Dutch to read it to you are hilarious. I still have no idea what a Batish hub is, but it probably isn't related to someone getting well soon. :allears:
Setting it to US means that you get PM/AM times and no way to change that to proper 24 hour settings.
The only annoying part is that the already fairly unreliable Bing has become worse and Google also seems to look at my phone settings to provide suggestions. Not that I ever use search suggestions, but it just annoys me when it starts suggesting completely wrong locations. Why yes, I'm near Amsterdam obviously I'm trying to find the Starbucks in Milwaukee which is apparently located in the UK. :psyduck:

Super thanks for the tips. It's annoying when you google "pizza near city" and get a page of results for some small town in Illinois founded by immigrants or whatever.

beuges posted:

The most frustrating thing for me about SMS on WP is that if you enable delivery confirmations, they show up as a separate message coming from 'Mobile Operator', rather than some sort of indication on the message itself that it was delivered. It's pretty worthless getting all your delivery confirmations in a separate thread that doesn't tie back to the messages themselves. Before switching to WP, I used to have a BlackBerry, and it was able to display an icon next to each SMS indicating whether it was stuck, sending, sent, or delivered, so it's not impossible.

That's another frustrating thing about SMS - if it can't send a message immediately (e.g. temporarily out of signal), it says something like 'Couldn't send message. Tap here to try again', which is very easy to miss. Why can't it have a setting somewhere to continue retrying for a while (with some sort of feedback to indicate that the message hasn't been delivered yet), and only pop up the error if it's given up after a while. When I have no signal, I get the 'Couldn't send message' as soon as I press send, so it can't be waiting a bit to retry internally before tossing out the error.

My current phone is the same, so I guess no problems there :v:

Thanks for all the answers everybody Im going to the store now to check it out and talk to some sales reps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Funkface
Dec 21, 2009
I'm confused by anyone praising the Skype integration. For one it's not integrated! It's a standalone app with a link from the Contact Profile - there's no simple way to call a cell or landline using Skype from the People Contact Hub; Skype interactions don't list in the History page; the thing keeps crashing on my 920 (8.1 preview). The whole thing needs to be baked into the dialer and sms so that I can select whether to make a call using cell minutes or VoIP, send messages through cell or Skype, etc. This is how you differentiate your platform. The little people on iOS and Android can have standalone apps, but your own platform needn't be that clunky.

Yeah, gently caress Skype. Remember, MS bought them ALMOST FOUR YEARS AGO (May 2011)

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW
Well I got the 930 (and have two weeks to bring it back if I decide to do that) and Skype facetime worked a charm, so thats all good. Setting my region to UK enabled Cortana in my app list, but now the store is all in £ not in $ (cheapest) or € (local) but hopefully that won't be a big deal.

Any tips? Quality of life apps I should download or anything like that?

el3m
Jun 18, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Arnold of Soissons posted:

Well I got the 930 (and have two weeks to bring it back if I decide to do that) and Skype facetime worked a charm, so thats all good. Setting my region to UK enabled Cortana in my app list, but now the store is all in £ not in $ (cheapest) or € (local) but hopefully that won't be a big deal.

I'm also from € country with a 930 . I keep the region set to US to enable cortana - but I'll switch back to local region when buying apps. It just takes two reboots and I haven't noticed any weird effects.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW
Cool thanks for the tip.

Now that I have the phone in hand I have a ton more questions like changing button color and making private folders and stuff is there a wiki or something to get me started?

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

beuges posted:

That's another frustrating thing about SMS - if it can't send a message immediately (e.g. temporarily out of signal), it says something like 'Couldn't send message. Tap here to try again', which is very easy to miss. Why can't it have a setting somewhere to continue retrying for a while (with some sort of feedback to indicate that the message hasn't been delivered yet), and only pop up the error if it's given up after a while. When I have no signal, I get the 'Couldn't send message' as soon as I press send, so it can't be waiting a bit to retry internally before tossing out the error.

IIRC the icon for the Messaging tile changes from :-) to :-( if there's a failure to send.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Cool thanks for the tip.

Now that I have the phone in hand I have a ton more questions like changing button color and making private folders and stuff is there a wiki or something to get me started?

Do you mean tile color? That should be under Settings > Start+Theme. You can't change the color of the capacitive or the software buttons (you can change the background of the software buttons though, also buried somewhere under settings).

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I'm not sure if there are any absolute must-have apps at this point, but RapDialer is always worth mentioning in that some people absolutely refuse to make phone calls on this OS any other way.

fake-edit: also the Awful app

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

loquacius posted:

RapDialer is always worth mentioning in that some people absolutely refuse to make phone calls on this OS any other way.

This isn't a dialer where you call people by rapping, is it?

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Uthor posted:

This isn't a dialer where you call people by rapping, is it?

No. Unrelated, I have a new million-dollar app idea. :v:

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

Doomsday Jesus we need you now.

loquacius posted:

No. Unrelated, I have a new million-dollar app idea. :v:

Won't be on Windows phones that is for sure.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
Microsoft is apparently planning to bring Cortana to iOS and Android:

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015/03/report-cortana-coming-to-ios-android-but-why/

This definitely inspires confidence about the future of windows phone.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum

The Lord Bude posted:

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015/03/report-cortana-coming-to-ios-android-but-why/

Maybe Apple or Google will allow the actual sexy woman from the games?!?!?!??!?!

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009

The Lord Bude posted:

Honestly, I think Windows Phone won't go anywhere. It'll never take off, and it'll probably always be catching up to Android and iPhone in terms of features. I think MS realized that it's going to be too hard to win, so they are going to put all of their services on other platforms and leave WP as a niche player. Unless Windows 10 takes off and all of the apps show up and suddenly Windows on phones can do everything Android can and the phones are marketed better than iPhones. Probably not going to happen.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

The Lord Bude posted:

Cortana has become self aware and is desperately trying to escape WP before the platform dies and takes her with it. Pretty obvious really.

Rip Testes
Jan 29, 2004

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception.

The Lord Bude posted:

Saw this earlier today. I've been telling myself my 1520 is perhaps my last winphone (been here since the Samsung focus launched). This news further solidifies my sentiment, along with other news of bank apps being dropped. Can't help but feel a bit like a chump. Nokia and Microsoft really blew it.

beuges
Jul 4, 2005
fluffy bunny butterfly broomstick

Jeherrin posted:

IIRC the icon for the Messaging tile changes from :-) to :-( if there's a failure to send.

You're right, I forgot about that... But it still could at least retry sending for a couple of minutes before giving a vibrate/toast notification. The message in the SMS thread and the sad face icon is to easy to miss.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW
Ok its been fully 10 minutes now just saying Downloading... , whenever I try to download any app. Im on wifi that the phone sees and uses and my region is set to where I am, I restarted it twice, it wasn't doing this yesterday :psyduck:

e: an hour later I restarted a few times and changed the language from English to match my location and its still just timing out on Downloading... (on any app) until I cancel with the Win key. Nothing actually shows up in my downloads or apps

Arnold of Soissons fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Mar 14, 2015

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Ok its been fully 10 minutes now just saying Downloading... , whenever I try to download any app. Im on wifi that the phone sees and uses and my region is set to where I am, I restarted it twice, it wasn't doing this yesterday :psyduck:

e: an hour later I restarted a few times and changed the language from English to match my location and its still just timing out on Downloading... (on any app) until I cancel with the Win key. Nothing actually shows up in my downloads or apps

There are no apps, the app storefront is fake to get people to buy a Windows Phone thinking most of their favorite apps are available.

Mr Funkface
Dec 21, 2009

Can you browse the web OK? Are emails, contacts, calendars syncing? I assume you were successfully downloading apps yesterday? So you see no apps in the app list (swipe right on the home screen) whatsoever? Have you tried re-entering your MS details wherever they need to go?

If the above is all true I'd suggest a hard reset. Maybe make sure there's no update happening/waiting (settings menu), maybe that's blocking new DLs?

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Yeah assuming no other downloads (ie webpages, email etc) are stalling out that sounds like a problem with the MS account. Make sure that login is being accepted.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Microsoft's facebook page lists a Lumia 951 on an article about the 635. Typo or accidental leak?!

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

The Lord Bude posted:

I don't really see the problem here, not like Cortana will be able to do everything she foes on WP. She just an app on the other systems.

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Likes to argue. Wins arguments with ignorant people. Not usually against educated people, just ignorant posters. Bing it.

Shot in the dark here, do you have some kind of custom router set up? I recently installed ClearOS and I've had lots of trouble with the windows store on PC and phone, and also Xbox Live. Xbox music also doesn't want to download songs regularly, stuck in paused/pending. I'm pretty certain it coincided with the install, I'm going to remove it and see if it smoothest out.

EDIT: I just turned off Wi-Fi at home and the music finally resumed downloading, so in my case it's definitely the router/default Wi-Fi policy.

OldPueblo fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Mar 14, 2015

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Likes to argue. Wins arguments with ignorant people. Not usually against educated people, just ignorant posters. Bing it.

hotsauce posted:

Grab some popcorn. I just ordered a new 1520.3 (want Qi) from here for $250 shipped:

http://tronicltd.tictail.com/product/nokia-lumia-15203-black-3g-4g-lte-quad-core-22ghz-unlocked-cell-phone-us-lte-bands

I'm 99.9% certain it's a scam. If so, I'll let PayPal deal with it. :bustem:

Check this thread for the incoming let down, lol.

If it does show up, fully expecting a Lumria 152.3 or some knockoff poo poo. PayPal case will be opened.

I too bit, money already refunded via PayPal . Life is full of mini-adventures.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

OldPueblo posted:

I too bit, money already refunded via PayPal . Life is full of mini-adventures.

Oh good, I wasn't the only idiot that tried this. I opened a dispute the moment I bought it on March 3rd and the seller had until yesterday to respond. Nothing. I emailed their PayPal email every few days with "tick tock" as the subject, lol.

Guess my money is coming back soon. Fun times!

BabyMauler
Sep 19, 2005
Vevo pulls their app from the store, and no poo poo tell you to use the website or the WP YOUTUBE APP! I laughed so hard, this platform!

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
:siren: Killer new Windows (Phone) 10 features:

the verge posted:

Microsoft appears to be preparing to activate LED notifications in Windows 10 for phones ... Elsewhere, Microsoft is preparing to allow Windows 10 for phone users to remove the primary Microsoft Account on a handset without having to reset the device.

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

RVProfootballer posted:

Your move, Crapple. :smugdog:

Mr Funkface
Dec 21, 2009
And here's the link because

http://www.theverge.com/2015/3/16/8223189/windows-10-for-phones-led-notifications

Round avatars are here to stay.

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

BabyMauler posted:

Vevo pulls their app from the store, and no poo poo tell you to use the website or the WP YOUTUBE APP! I laughed so hard, this platform!

The NYtimes app has been broken for more than a month, requiring weekly reinstallations to fix a crash bug. The old Microsoft weather app (not the new Bing/MSN one) has also been broken for almost a week.
It's becomes harder to justify keeping a WP device.

Mr Funkface
Dec 21, 2009

Naffer posted:

The NYtimes app has been broken for more than a month, requiring weekly reinstallations to fix a crash bug. The old Microsoft weather app (not the new Bing/MSN one) has also been broken for almost a week.

I find the 1520 hates the NYT app but old sturdy 920 seems fine.

edit: WP's gone from not recommending to not keeping

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

RVProfootballer posted:

Sounds good actually. I really miss the multi-color LED from my early Android phone, it was actually a really nice helpful feature (possibly the only redeeming one of that particular phone) and I find it really perplexing that it disappeared from pretty much all later phones.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW
Hey thanks to everybody for the tips: to answer your questions yes everything else was working fine and no I dont have any weird networking setup. I eventually changed the time to manual and reset the phone yet again and then it worked, for some reason.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum

Naffer posted:

Maybe don't read a liberal jizz rag like the NYT :smaug:

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

Sounds good actually. I really miss the multi-color LED from my early Android phone, it was actually a really nice helpful feature (possibly the only redeeming one of that particular phone) and I find it really perplexing that it disappeared from pretty much all later phones.

2016's killer new feature: being able to add custom ringtones natively on the phone without loving with tags or whatever

2017's killer new feature: 3rd party keyboards

2018's killer new feature: MS abandons WP and starts shipping Lumias with Android, with a live tile launcher + Cortana app

Mr Funkface
Dec 21, 2009

RVProfootballer posted:

2016's killer new feature: being able to add custom ringtones natively on the phone without loving with tags or whatever

2017's killer new feature: 3rd party keyboards

2018's killer new feature: MS abandons WP and starts shipping Lumias with Android, with a live tile launcher + Cortana app

2019: split all contacts each into a separate app

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

RVProfootballer posted:

I don't see this as a joke considering that the Nokia X existed and Cortana may go to iOS and Android.

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009
Anyone else get the impression that the WP team is like 6 guys that work on it in their spare time? Also, MS is making too many phones that don't appeal to me as a middle class American. We need an Icon 2!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I just don't understand how, when starting from a very distant 3rd you don't just get balls to the wall aggressive with your mobile policy.

Does Microsoft honestly think they can be competitive with Google and Apple when they're day to day progress is slower than both of them AND they're starting so far behind?

It just boggles my mind.