Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Snuffman posted:

E3. We only know about Victory due to a reaaaallly early leak (which I'm sure someone got fired for/banned from any Ubisoft thing ever).

Which other Creed games has Quebec helmed?

This is Quebec's first full AC title. They've previously only led development on some DLCs like Freedom Cry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world
Freedom Cry was good as heck. But with a sour taste in my mouth from Unity, I'll probably put off the next one until well into 2016 while I poopsock MGS5.

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

CharlieWhiskey posted:

Freedom Cry was good as heck. But with a sour taste in my mouth from Unity, I'll probably put off the next one until well into 2016 while I poopsock MGS5.

I enjoy little bits of Unity every now and then, but I still get that sour taste from the game as a whole. Rogue, though is doing a lot to restore my confidence in the series. Just bring back the Subject 16 puzzles and use Unity's free-run up/down mechanic and Victory might be ok.

Unity really does feel like an Assassins Creed game that was detached from the world of game design (and other entries in it's own damned series) after AC3.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

I really enjoyed Rogue, but I think I'm finally starting to get what people mean when they talk about getting tired of Ubisoft's formula. In the end, I went through and finished the story because i was just getting overwhelmed not by the amount of side activities, but how meaningless they start to feel. Town, chest, fragment, shanty, intercept, fort, fragment, repeat. Don't get me wrong, I liked the game as I said, but I think I'm going to give the series a rest now, it's a pretty good high note to go out on, at least until they figure out what they want to do with the formula post Unity.

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat

Doc Morbid posted:

I could swear the foliage on the PC version is static, but the article mentions how "physics-based foliage reacts with the wind and characters, swaying and bending when disturbed. " Did I miss an option somewhere?

I'm not a graphics expert, but would disabling PhysX have anything to do with that?

Doc Morbid posted:

Well, looks like I forgot to disable PhysX. Once I did that, the game started running as it should. I didn't notice any immediate difference with or without PhysX, except that having it on just kills the performance. (PhysX.txt)

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

I disabled PhysX in Black Flag. The static foliage is in Rogue, which doesn't have PhysX in the first place.

PhysX doesn't have anything to do with the foliage in Black Flag anyway, it just gives you slightly nicer smoke effects.

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

Holy poo poo is there anything other than the graphics that Unity has over Rogue? I honestly think Shay had more dialog in the first sequence of Rouge than Arno has over all of Unity, and since he has a character arc (not to mention one people are conflicted over) I give him the edge there as well. The combat, fine, whatever. The parkour seems to have fans but I found it universally worse - in the earlier games the free running is obviously too sticky but in Unity you just spaz all over the place, it's just as imprecise and less satisfying. I like the open-world boat poo poo but don't need it and probably won't do the legendary battles. But the missions guys, the missions - playing Rouge made me remember that every once and a while Ubisoft tries to get away with pushing out an AAA game with the gameplay of candy crush. Unity was all about collecting stupid icons, the actual game missions were boring and perfunctory. Rouge seems like every one of it's missions were actually designed, by someone. Satisfying parkour routes, variety in stealth opportunities, really cool set pieces (holy poo poo Lisbon!). I feel like every time the Ubisoft A team makes a game with a new engine they just totally forget to make a coherent game. AC1, AC3, Unity, Watch_Dogs all feel like dry-runs. I mean, I guess this means I'm somewhat hopeful for next years game, or Watch_Dogs 2, but seriously guys - creating an engine and a bunch of systems doesn't make something a game.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

I just finished Sequence 9 and I'm still enjoying Unity... Uh-oh, you know what that means... I might have a bizarrely divergent opinion :o

Caveat: I've had few coop issues on PS4 and am generally pretty patient with this stuff. A couple times I got the CE-83-whatever error and the game stopped but even then I come back in and the story mission has legitimately saved exactly where I left off. I was doing the Marie Levesque assassination and completed both the distraction and assistance opportunities and I didn't have to do those when the game started back up. Saved in part by decent checkpointing. Obviously this is purely anecdotal and I know pre-patching it was rrrrrough but I guess I'm glad I came to it post-patching. I think I'm probably the exact target audience for Unity tbh--someone who used Initiates pretty extensively even when it wasn't required for chest-opening, etc.--so a lot of that stuff isn't quite as frustrating for me as it would be for other people but I totally Get where everyone else on Earth is coming from.

edit: but given all the criticism they'd gotten forever and all the asking for a female protag in a mainline game I don't know why they didn't just switch Arno's and Elise's roles and change Basically Nothing Else??? but w/e

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

I think I'm probably the exact target audience for Unity tbh--someone who used Initiates pretty extensively even when it wasn't required for chest-opening, etc.--so a lot of that stuff isn't quite as frustrating for me as it would be for other people but I totally Get where everyone else on Earth is coming from.

Oh I'm all into Initiates. It just didn't work. Sometimes chests would be available, then all the related outfits would lock again.

Ubisoft's solution was to just turn off Initiates and leave the chests available to everyone. :v:

Same goes for the companion app chests, if I'm not mistaken.

That's why you're have no issues with the tie in stuff :)

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

edit: but given all the criticism they'd gotten forever and all the asking for a female protag in a mainline game I don't know why they didn't just switch Arno's and Elise's roles and change Basically Nothing Else??? but w/e
Because as much as relatively progressive Ubisoft is - they're still afraid to lose sales on their main ship as female and minority protagonists don't sell*. Both Adewale and Aveline were way more interesting than any other main game protagonist maybe with the exception of Ezio who was given 3 games to achieve that but they were still only attached to an expansion and a hand-held release.

*according to CEOs

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Yeah, this last patch was the one that unlocked them, I remember reading that.

I was sort of hoping Freedom Cry was a test run and given Quebec is developing Victory maybe it was, but imo even a mainline assets-remixed game like Rogue with a "nontraditional" protagonist would be a step in the right direction--not for nothing but if anyone were to thrive among the Assassins as shown in the game it would be a woman or a person of color who isn't given that respect over the course of their normal lives? Lore-wise it makes sense and Black folks have showed up even among Templar leadership.

It's just a huge pet peeve. For God's sake your community manager's last name is Gbinigie, why are y'all so afraid of Black people?!

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

To be fair Ubi is one of the few publishers that actually used black protagonists, they just need to go all the way.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

I was sort of hoping Freedom Cry was a test run and given Quebec is developing Victory maybe it was, but imo even a mainline assets-remixed game like Rogue with a "nontraditional" protagonist would be a step in the right direction--not for nothing but if anyone were to thrive among the Assassins as shown in the game it would be a woman or a person of color who isn't given that respect over the course of their normal lives? Lore-wise it makes sense and Black folks have showed up even among Templar leadership.

High ranking women assassins show up all the time too. There was the grand master lady in Unity and Hope in Rogue (I love Hope's dress/assassin robes :3:)

I think there's some silly Animus reason in that one can only travel back along the male line but that lore was ignored with Aveline and the Animus backstory stuff in Ac4 (the researcher experienced her Grandma's life).

Hell, the whole Helix thing lets us completely toss out a lot of the Animus "rules" (as Ubisoft has already done). Now anyone can experience anyone's ancestor regardless of lineage!

Victory looks like another guy, though. If the preview was to be believed. They could alway pull a Haythem style fake out. That would be amazing.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Snuffman posted:

High ranking women assassins show up all the time too. There was the grand master lady in Unity and Hope in Rogue (I love Hope's dress/assassin robes :3:)

I think there's some silly Animus reason in that one can only travel back along the male line but that lore was ignored with Aveline and the Animus backstory stuff in Ac4 (the researcher experienced her Grandma's life).

Hell, the whole Helix thing lets us completely toss out a lot of the Animus "rules" (as Ubisoft has already done). Now anyone can experience anyone's ancestor regardless of lineage!

Victory looks like another guy, though. If the preview was to be believed. They could alway pull a Haythem style fake out. That would be amazing.

Honestly I don't know if there is that Animus logic.

In fact, if you want to go off what most sci-fi like AC's logic uses, it should be EASIER to experience a female ancestor's memories because of mitochondrial DNA.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

macnbc posted:

Honestly I don't know if there is that Animus logic.

In fact, if you want to go off what most sci-fi like AC's logic uses, it should be EASIER to experience a female ancestor's memories because of mitochondrial DNA.

Yeah, I felt like I recalled hearing stuff in earlier games about people experiencing the memories of ancestors of the opposite gender, although for some reason I'm having trouble recalling which of the literal dozen games in the franchise might have mentioned that.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

It was AC 2 wasn't it? Desmond's point of view lost control of Altair after he had sex with Maria which conceived Darim. But I think it's handwaved away by the Animus which was used in the Desmond games was an outdated piece of poo poo and the newer ones which evolved into Helix let you experience any memories regardless of gender.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Mr. Fortitude posted:

It was AC 2 wasn't it? Desmond's point of view lost control of Altair after he had sex with Maria which conceived Darim. But I think it's handwaved away by the Animus which was used in the Desmond games was an outdated piece of poo poo and the newer ones which evolved into Helix let you experience any memories regardless of gender.

The logic there had nothing to do with gender. The Animus reads DNA.
When Altair got it on he transferred his DNA to conceive Darim, therefore the Animus was reading Darim's DNA at that point.

It's why AC protags tend not to have kids until later in life, because once they've reproduced you can't read their memories past that point.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

macnbc posted:

It's why AC protags tend not to have kids until later in life, because once they've reproduced you can't read their memories past that point.

I liked the way they played it with Edward Kenway because he did have a kid (and before the events of AC4, no less), but she wasn't Desmond's direct ancestor.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

The White Dragon posted:

I liked the way they played it with Edward Kenway because he did have a kid (and before the events of AC4, no less), but she wasn't Desmond's direct ancestor.

I think it was also implied that Clay Kaczmarek was descended from Ezio through an illegitimate child he sired early in his assassin career, which meant that Clay could only relive a small fraction of the memories that Desmond did.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

macnbc posted:

The logic there had nothing to do with gender. The Animus reads DNA.
When Altair got it on he transferred his DNA to conceive Darim, therefore the Animus was reading Darim's DNA at that point.

Unless you encode your memories onto CD rims or something.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

The story in Rogue is really bad. Every segment ends with "Oh, you killed me?! Well, I was just wasting your time while the REAL bad guy got away!" until the end of the game. Also, at the start of the game, Achilles doesn't give a gently caress about Shay saying that a whole city got wiped out, but at the end of the game, after like five years, he suddenly decides that "Oh, maybe we shouldn't touch these things." WAY TO WASTE EVERYONE'S TIME, ASSBUTT.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Haha I liked Rogue's story but I agree with that first criticism for sure--I noticed during my playthrough and kind of laughed at it.

Also I'm glad I'm not the only loser who thinks that much about this goofy game's silly lore. I love some of the Helix teasers from when you first start up Unity--particularly the Hibernia one and the Jazz Age one. I'd love to see the latter, or a story that takes place in a location whose natives were a victim of colonization rather than a perpetrator (so basically Africa or Southeast Asia) (but I've been Leftist enough in this thread so I'll shut it)

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Snuffman posted:

No, the very first person to use the Animus - Subject Zero - was actually a woman, there are tons of audio files with that in Black Flag.

Crappy Jack posted:

Yeah, I felt like I recalled hearing stuff in earlier games about people experiencing the memories of ancestors of the opposite gender, although for some reason I'm having trouble recalling which of the literal dozen games in the franchise might have mentioned that.
There was an audio file with that in Black Flag, I have no idea how it was called though.

Palpek fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Mar 17, 2015

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Palpek posted:

No, the very first person to use the Animus - Subject Zero - was actually a woman, there are tons of audio files with that in Black Flag.

There was an audio file with that in Black Flag, I have no idea how it was called though.

Oh yeah, I remember that. I'm pretty sure that was the history of the Helix project (jump into anyone's DNA) though, cause the scientist was going back to her ex husband's grandmother's memories through her son's DNA (or something convoluted like that). How could one forget the ridiculous voice actor they got for young-Vidic. He was comically evil.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

It really shouldn't be a surprise to anyone just how much the assassins go to poo poo under Achilles.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Oh yeah I just remembered there's an audio file where a guy is talking about how weird it is to inhabit a woman (was it Aveline? maybe it was Subject Zero?) I really like those tbh they're very low-budget ways to expand the lore. There should be a transcript though like the Juno and cave painting stuff in Rogue.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I still feel as though Unity was the most pointless game in the series as far as the modern day stuff goes. At least Revelations had Desmond know where the grand temple was at the end and Rogue at least had a payoff at the end of the game for the modern day stuff.

Unity is pretty much the assassin's playing around to confirm if Germain was a Sage or not and if the Templars had access to his body which... they obviously don't or else it'd be really obvious. Also if Arno is a master Assassin, wouldn't he have left notes or records about Germain?

The main story is pretty pointless too and makes the French Revolution more of a footnote than do anything interesting with the setting. I just get the impression that nobody on the development team really cared at all about the game and half-assed it just to get the French Revolution game everyone had wanted out of the way.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I still feel as though Unity was the most pointless game in the series as far as the modern day stuff goes. At least Revelations had Desmond know where the grand temple was at the end and Rogue at least had a payoff at the end of the game for the modern day stuff.

Unity is pretty much the assassin's playing around to confirm if Germain was a Sage or not and if the Templars had access to his body which... they obviously don't or else it'd be really obvious. Also if Arno is a master Assassin, wouldn't he have left notes or records about Germain?

The main story is pretty pointless too and makes the French Revolution more of a footnote than do anything interesting with the setting. I just get the impression that nobody on the development team really cared at all about the game and half-assed it just to get the French Revolution game everyone had wanted out of the way.

Master Assassin is a title they just throw around to make people feel good about themselves. It's pretty much meaningless, even in a video gamey context. Who is going to want to play Jimmy the Assassin noob? No one. Even Shao Jun (who I dig as a character) is off-handed mentioned in 3 and other places as a Master Assassin.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Another thing, what happened to the bleeding effect? If edited Animus experiences are being sold to gamers, wouldn't that just either break peoples brains or train them into killers with the memories of Assassins? It seems like The Templars haven't thought things through and it will bite them in the rear end.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

There's Assassin intel you get from the rifts in Unity that advises Helix's PR team NOT to mention brain death so I think Helix puts people at risk? But I think the bleeding effect is connected to your particular ancestors and it's mentioned in Revelations that it's especially an issue (or whatever you want to call it) for people with high concentrations of First Civ genes, so I'd guess they're kind of wriggling their way away from it with edited Animus stuff since they're phasing out the third-person modern-day bits.

Also the Helix stuff is specifically chosen to show Assassins being assholes and heroic Templars bringing them down and what we play in the games are other memories in the Helix cloud servers being used for Abstergo's purposes. This sounds so stupid to type out lol

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Another thing, what happened to the bleeding effect? If edited Animus experiences are being sold to gamers, wouldn't that just either break peoples brains or train them into killers with the memories of Assassins? It seems like The Templars haven't thought things through and it will bite them in the rear end.

Its still there. Theres some interstitial stuff in Black Flag where Abstergo employees are getting driven insane by it.

It doesnt seem to be a big issue in moderation, the only people suffering from it are people who are spending nearly every waking hour in the Animus like Desmond or Clay.

HaitianDivorce
Jul 29, 2012

I'd love to see the latter, or a story that takes place in a location whose natives were a victim of colonization rather than a perpetrator (so basically Africa or Southeast Asia) (but I've been Leftist enough in this thread so I'll shut it)

Assassin's Creed has always been remarkably leftist in its analysis of history. Remember that 2 ended with you fistfighting the Pope while he screamed that there is no God and its metaplot was basically all about the powerful using the weak for their own shadowy purposes (including Desmond and you, the player). Even 3 is brave enough to occasionally whimper about how the creation of America was not the birth of a shining beacon of light but caused a lot of problems for people who weren't white men, and 4 parodies the company that created it.

Go ahead, talk about it. It's one of the series' most interesting aspects as far as I'm concerned.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

I loved that the glyphs in either 2 or Brotherhood (can't remember) explicitly say that the Templars invented capitalism as a means of control and state that several of the Supreme Court Justices who made the call on Citizens United are members of the Order. I'm always happy when an AC game skirts easy right-libertarianism and says something a bit cleverer than that

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
I did like how Unity took a few seconds to explain why Napoleon has an apple in the glyph puzzles.

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible
Do the animations in Rogue seem a little janky to anyone else? Like, when Shay is sprinting, his shoulders dont really move, his torso just snaps left and right while the legs do a running animation. And if you are having a conversation with someone so that the camera zooms in a bit and then try to turn 180 degrees, the upper body will quickly rotate first, and then after a delay the legs will slowly rotate to catch up (like in MechWarrior). I don't know if animation quality would be affected by current graphics settings or what.

It just seems odd considering how smoothly Ezio ran in AC2. There was even a transition between running and sprinting that looked badass. Speaking of, I played some of AC2 again recently, and somehow missing jumps and falling from rooftops seems to happen less than in any other game.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

So do any of the armours you unlock in Rogue grant any special effects? Like is there any First Civ bullet bending magic like in Black Flag or are they all cosmetic?

The Native armour looks silly, and the Viking armour just looks ridiculous. :(

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Snuffman posted:

So do any of the armours you unlock in Rogue grant any special effects? Like is there any First Civ bullet bending magic like in Black Flag or are they all cosmetic?

The Native armour looks silly, and the Viking armour just looks ridiculous. :(

According to this website:

• Native Armor
    This is unlocked after completing all the Native Pillars quests in game. Using this armor reduces damage taken from enemy melee attacks.

• Templar 11th Century Armor
    This armor is unlocked when players complete all the Templar Maps quests. The armor provides increased protection against ranged attacks.

• Templar Enforcer
    Unlocked after completing all Assassin Intercept missions and grants players the ability to spot enemy Stalkers from a longer distance.

• Hunter Outfit
    This is a craftable armor which increases Shay’s stealth against animals. Requires Gray Wolf Pelt x2 and Arctic Wolf Pelt x3 for crafting.

• Whaler Outfit
    A craftable armor that requires Shark Skin x2 and Killer Whale Skin x2 for creation and grants increased harpoon damage.

• Assassin Killer Outfit
    Cannot be crafted or purchased from shops instead needs to be unlocked through Uplay Rewards for 20 points. Makes Shay immune to the effects of gas or smoke.

Apparently, no other armors have an effect.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Quite liking Rogue, even if it is just Black Flag again.

Why don't they drop all the Assassin/Templar bullshit and just make a pirate game? The plot to Assassin's Creed is stupid and boring but cannon salvos are not getting old soon.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Are there any Man ó War in Rogue? I know I should be looking in the Artic but I haven't found any roaming around. (Sequence 6, ~60% total sync due to exploring)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Try the top left of the North Atlantic, I've seen them around there.

• Locked thread