Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

theflyingexecutive posted:

way to get my hopes up for an unobtainable phone

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-NOKIA-7280-small-cell-phone-with-camera-lipstick-good-conditions-/251213884753 ???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

I could not find that at all, too bad it's gsm tho

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

I could not find that at all, too bad it's gsm tho

lol what? like your shitass cdma carrier would activate one or even have the right bands still up

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

2G 900/1800/1900 / gprs / edge are still up though with most gsm carriers, I thought? Even if they have a limited future

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

EMILY BLUNTS posted:

2G 900/1800/1900 / gprs / edge are still up though with most gsm carriers, I thought? Even if they have a limited future

gsm stuff is up, yeah, and you can use most gsm phones fromt he world around on at least one gsm carrier in the us.

but for cdma models lol forget it

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

lol rip

are there any cdma phones in that general form factor that vz would activate?

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

mind you, I have endless patience for lovely phones I had a kin for 6 months

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
http://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_c3_01_gold_edition-4113.php

i have one of these as a spare phone. wouldn't use it in public though

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

mind you, I have endless patience for lovely phones I had a kin for 6 months
lollllllllllllll

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

it would have lasted longer if I hadn't been roofied and pissed all over it 👺

Rick Ross Ulbricht
Feb 3, 2010

put yourself in the shoes of a prosecutor trying to build a case against you. what evidence could they pin on you? there is nothing on your laptop for them to use, if you obscure your bitcoins propperly, there is no way for them to trace them back to me.

OSI bean dip posted:

http://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_c3_01_gold_edition-4113.php

i have one of these as a spare phone. wouldn't use it in public though

putting the gold iphone to shame

jesus :ohdear:

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

quote:

[Noisebridge-discuss] Concert Event: March 22nd 7pm Don't Spy On Us
zaki at manian.org zaki at manian.org
Sat Mar 14 23:49:21 UTC 2015

Coming on March 22, 2015, Restore The Fourth SF and Pow Magazine presents
DON'T SPY ON US!

A Musical Event promoting our opposition to mass surveillance and state
violence.

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord

thankyou for getting the thread back on topic :tipshat:

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Jonny 290 posted:

if i was brave enough i'd buy that $500 gsm startac and get an alpha pager to back it up. its my dream. i loving hate smartphones

just buy a dumb phone? ? ? they are still available for sale you know

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

maniacdevnull posted:

just buy a dumb phone? ? ? they are still available for sale you know

but you dont get cred for carrying around a $29.99 cricket convenience store phone

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

i still have an old gsm slider that I keep around for power outages and long trips when I wouldn't have access to charge. Kinda miss having a phone with 5 day battery life.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I have a dumb nokia barphone that I call my "land line" because I only pay for the bare minimum plan to keep it operational and leave it at home all the time. It is infinitely more reliable than my smartphone (which has a battery life of like, 16 hours) and has a built-in battery backup (that lasts 3 goddamn weeks because it has a modern battery and doesn't do anything fancy) unlike a landline.

I mean I guess I could get a real landline with one of those old phones that's actually powered solely off the landline but ugh this is 2015 I don't want to deal with that.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Sniep posted:

but you dont get cred for carrying around a $29.99 cricket convenience store phone

You would tho?

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

true old school cred

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

bitcoin bastard posted:

true old school cred

glad I'm not the only one who still associates cricket with their original business plan of making phones for grandpas

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

wh...

what?

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

glad I'm not the only one who still associates cricket with their original business plan of making phones for grandpas

k thought that was jitterbug

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

Cocoa Crispies posted:

k thought that was jitterbug

it was

also cricket is good now

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

cricket is okay, tmobile's $40/mo unlimited data prepaid plan is pro-tier

100 min/mo but gently caress talking on the phone

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
this thread owns and doubly so because it introduced me to that cute british bodyhacking chick

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

bitcoin bastard posted:

cricket is okay, tmobile's $40/mo unlimited data prepaid plan is pro-tier

100 min/mo but gently caress talking on the phone

how unlimited data?

i dont trust anyone who says unlimited data because they all havea cap they just are trying to hide it behind "unlimited"

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
like, sure AT&T costs more but i like being able to know how much actual data i have vs. not know because it's "unlimited" but then oops you are sure the little mister heavy internet user aren't you! NO INTERNET TILL NEXT MONTH (or pay out the rear end per block of extra data)

id rather pay more up front to have an actual number:

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

they throttle you down to 20th century speeds if you go over 5gb in a month, but its functional for forum browsing in non-gif threads, a quick maps check, etc

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Yodzilla posted:

this thread owns and doubly so because it introduced me to that cute british bodyhacking chick

i went looking for more information about the stuff she does but there's almost nothing specific online, saw on her blog she lives about two miles away from me though. i think i'd find it very strange to see an internet person in the supermarket or something, at some level i basically don't believe that she or any of you are real

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
oh i'm real baby

real FAT ahahahahaha

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

big scary monsters posted:

i went looking for more information about the stuff she does but there's almost nothing specific online, saw on her blog she lives about two miles away from me though. i think i'd find it very strange to see an internet person in the supermarket or something, at some level i basically don't believe that she or any of you are real

quoting for the inevitable stalker story

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
i wish i could contribute funny stories to this thread but all of the maker spaces i've been to in philadelphia have been filled with genuinely helpful, nice people and the facilities seem clean and modern

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Yodzilla posted:

i wish i could contribute funny stories to this thread but all of the maker spaces i've been to in philadelphia have been filled with genuinely helpful, nice people and the facilities seem clean and modern

you should go poop on things

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

I went to a hackerspace yesterday for the first time and while it was a little grungy I did not get poo poo or pissed on. I'm planning to use their laser cutter to make a sw8 wooden box

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Yodzilla posted:

that's probably why sulk couldn't cope with any of them

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Yodzilla posted:

oh i'm real baby

real FAT ahahahahaha

I'm FAT37

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
cricket is $40/mo for 2.5gb and unlimited talk/text ($35 if you set up autopay). and they got bought by at&t so they have a real network now

i tried the tmobile nerd plan but i use more than 100min a month and i couldnt get more than 1x in half the city or anywhere outside of it

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

there's only one thing i miss about the old phones and its when you want to end a call and 'gently caress you' you just smacked it closed. it made a good sound. the call was over.

now you get to make an angry face at the phone, stab at the End Call button and they hear it going 'thud thud thud thud' as you miss, and then the call ends.
very embarasing

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

smartphones are pocket computers first, phones second

if i actually used my phone as a phone on a regular basis, id consider carrying a 2nd flip phone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

i've been a luddite with all this smartphone technology until this weekend, when i replaced my single core 500mhz android 2.2 clockwork dinosaur with a new htc one m8. it's great, but does anyone know if it can do phonecalls?

• Locked thread