Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
so is wouldn't've

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

spankmeister posted:

so are of and have :confused:
"shouldn't of" is completely meaningless

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

Sham bam bamina! posted:

"shouldn't of" is completely meaningless

m

l

y

P!

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Boxturret posted:

m

l

y

P!

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

don't stalk lowtax like that

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
star citizen is now up to seventy five million us dollars

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

anthonypants posted:

what's the budget for a big-name video game these days?

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

prefect posted:

what's the budget for a big-name video game these days?

they're up around that cost now I guess but i dont think they anticipated having this much to start with so figure that most of it is being wasted as they add new goals/targets or simply restart things differently

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

anthonypants posted:

where did i read that the client was gonna be 100 gigabytes. was that in here.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Elder Postsman posted:

where did i read that the client was gonna be 100 gigabytes. was that in here.
maybe

anthonypants posted:

one of the star citizen devs said the client is going to be 100GB. lmao

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/4591962/#Comment_4591962 posted:

quote:

1) The game files will be significantly more compressed and optimised than they are now. The size of the final game would probably be more like 30-40GB. (But this is still a very rough estimate.)
2) Game patching will also be more optimised, so minor patches would be in the hundreds of MB, and content patches would be a few GB.
As I have already said, I would not count on this. The game compression and asset removal is unlikely to yield such high gains that we will be able to reduce our client size to 30-40gb. The size and number of assets that are left to deliver means that our client size is much more likely to be 100gb.
Also, yes we are optimizing game patching for speed and to only deliver diffs, but this is unlikely to reduce actual patch size. Again, each patch has 100s of assets, each of these assets are at times 200mb, this leads to 2-6gb patches, and if we end up doing a file type re-factor and have to re-download 30-40% of the assets on the hard-drive, then the patch will be 14-20gb.

anthonypants fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Mar 12, 2015

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

EMILY BLUNTS posted:

they're up around that cost now I guess but i dont think they anticipated having this much to start with so figure that most of it is being wasted as they add new goals/targets or simply restart things differently

do you know how long it usually takes for a big-budget video game to be made? it's gotta be a few years, right?

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

prefect posted:

do you know how long it usually takes for a big-budget video game to be made? it's gotta be a few years, right?

depends but yeah often larger games are often in developement for a few years

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

Nope, I just googled some game dev costs in 5 minutes and figured theyd fall into some of the earlier mentioned kickstarter traps

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
i should probably go look at their kickstarter page but i'm lazy as gently caress right now. i wonder how many people they currently employ. do they have an hr department yet? :)

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

prefect posted:

i should probably go look at their kickstarter page but i'm lazy as gently caress right now. i wonder how many people they currently employ. do they have an hr department yet? :)

based on their grand plans and what they have to show for it i'm guessing it's 1 programmer, and 50 people doing "concept art" and working on the wiki

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

anthonypants posted:

maybe

As I have already said, I would not count on this. The game compression and asset removal is unlikely to yield such high gains that we will be able to reduce our client size to 30-40gb. The size and number of assets that are left to deliver means that our client size is much more likely to be 100gb.
Also, yes we are optimizing game patching for speed and to only deliver diffs, but this is unlikely to reduce actual patch size. Again, each patch has 100s of assets, each of these assets are at times 200mb, this leads to 2-6gb patches, and if we end up doing a file type re-factor and have to re-download 30-40% of the assets on the hard-drive, then the patch will be 14-20gb.
[/quote]

hahaha

when is this poo poo supposed to be released.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Elder Postsman posted:

hahaha

when is this poo poo supposed to be released.

end of 2016 I think? modules are coming out: fps in a couple weeks* and persistent universe pre-alpha snapshot dev build by the end of the year*

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

the company is probably a dozen artists, a dozen programmers programming themselves into a dozen corners, and a dozen chris roberts

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

I also read they've allocated $12,000,000 to voice acting

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
is this the game that nerds have spent literally thousands of earth dollars on pretend space ships?

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

is this the game that nerds have spent literally thousands of earth dollars on pretend space ships?

yes

meanwhile, over in Elite: Dangerous land...

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Migishu posted:

meanwhile, over in Elite: Dangerous land...

motherfucker step off my exclusive chrome ship skin :mad:

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

EMILY BLUNTS posted:

the company is probably a dozen artists, a dozen programmers programming themselves into a dozen corners, and a dozen chris roberts

also, even though all the modules are meant to be a seamless part of the whole game, they are each being developed in disparate offices around the world

it's like chris roberts looked at big dev's and said "look at all the branches they have, we should do that too!" somehow failing to recognize that branches basically only exist because of m&a and not that spreading teams around the world benefits games in any way. so a cargo cult dev.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I don't understand what made Chris Roberts so special and remembered as to garner $75 million in internet spaceships

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

prefect posted:

lol if you think they're still going through Kickstarter. go to their "store" and "buy" some "ships"

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Fabricated posted:

I don't understand what made Chris Roberts so special and remembered as to garner $75 million in internet spaceships

Wing Commander

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Migishu posted:

Wing Commander
starring freddie prinze, jr and matthew lillard

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

anthonypants posted:

starring freddie prinze, jr and matthew lillard

i'd play Scooby Doo: Wing Commander

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

Tori: Wing Commander

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
some AAA games cost over $100 million exclusive of marketing costs, which can range from like 10% on the low end to 250% (Call of Duty / GTA V) of dev costs.

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

and here they want to meld together three AAA games

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
i mean just do the math

how big is the studio? i have no idea but let's say 100 people

$10,000/month employer cost for having an employee (this is the big variable and just a shot in the dark). this does not mean $120k/yr salary, but salary + insurance + office space + benefits + electricity + expenses, whatever.

so they're burning $1m/month right there.

Times 3 years, that's 36 million + actual costs of licensing engines, any agency work, advertising, marketing, bonuses, voice acting, events (gigantic costs, you can spend $500k on E3 before you even have the walls up in the booth), etc etc etc.

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot
i believe in roberts-sama

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

The best is still to come, by 2016 there are going to be rivers of lonely nerd tears.

DiabloStarCraft
Oct 12, 2006

What is there in this world that makes living worthwhile?"

CATS. CATS ARE NICE
🐱🐱🐱💀🐱🐱🐱

anthonypants posted:

Star Citizen has now raised more money than it took the nation of India to send a robot to mars on an actual space rocket.

In other dumb kickstarter news I like smbc but this is super dumb - https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/weiner/the-gentlemans-single-use-monocle

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

DiabloStarCraft posted:

Star Citizen has now raised more money than it took the nation of India to send a robot to mars on an actual space rocket.

In other dumb kickstarter news I like smbc but this is super dumb - https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/weiner/the-gentlemans-single-use-monocle

19 thousand united states earth dollars

salt the earth

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof

DiabloStarCraft posted:

pretty clever repackaging after the failure of their disposable cock ring business

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

DiabloStarCraft posted:

it's exactly the right kind of dumb though

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

DiabloStarCraft posted:

it seems like one of those things that someone pulls out at the right time and you have a good laugh but then about five minutes later you think about the fact that they actually paid money for that and kept it in their pocket for weeks waiting for the right time to pull it out and you realize what a sad humorless human being they are, substituting props for a personality

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

that's zachary weiner for you

• Locked thread