Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Yaos posted:

Time to dust off your fire extinguishers for this "life hack" reversible USB plug adapter
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1255122491/ryo-adapter-never-plug-in-your-usb-the-wrong-way-a/

No it can't you loving liars, there's a hard piece of plastic in the way.

Protect them from what?

Everybody call your local electrician, we need to stop using copper wiring because it runs out of charges without this adapter.

Don't worry, they already hit their first stretch goal. When they hit 1000 backers they released an EXCLUSIVE wallpaper background!
And Google is pushing for USB C to become a thing, that completely avoids that altogether.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Yaos posted:

Time to dust off your fire extinguishers for this "life hack" reversible USB plug adapter
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1255122491/ryo-adapter-never-plug-in-your-usb-the-wrong-way-a/

Protect them from what?

Everybody call your local electrician, we need to stop using copper wiring because it runs out of charges without this adapter.

Don't worry, they already hit their first stretch goal. When they hit 1000 backers they released an EXCLUSIVE wallpaper background!

I like their cute original character do not steal Beemo knock-off thingie.

E:

Paladinus has a new favorite as of 17:11 on Mar 16, 2015

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Yaos posted:

I think you might be underestimating how forceful some people will get if their first attempt does not succeed…

I've heard (and seen) horror stories. :ohdear:

Not that the idea isn't moronic, but there's definitely a sizeable selection of morons out there who need this USB C to stop them from trying to jam the plug in over and over until it “works”.

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem
Wait I thought "life hacks" were stuff like using existing things you have in unexpectedly different and convenient ways, like USE YOUR KETCHUP AS SHAMPOO!! or whatever.

How is buying a reversible dongle that you plug USB cables into a life hack

Do people really have so much trouble plugging in USB devices that people would make and sell reversible dongles to solve this problem

I'll just wait for USB C, anyway.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.

HJE-Cobra posted:

How is buying a reversible dongle that you plug USB cables into a life hack

Having so much money you can waste it on poo poo like this is the ultimate life hack

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

HJE-Cobra posted:

Do people really have so much trouble plugging in USB devices

According to their kickstarter, the average human wastes 30 min per year plugging USB cables wrong.

Personally I'm certain I already wasted more time reading their KS page than all the times I plugged a USB cable wrong.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
Just in time for USB 3.1 to show up in devices.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

Yaos posted:

Protect them from what?

This is some THERE'S GOT TO BE A BETTER WAY bullshit:

If only I could see what I was doing instead of blindly tapping at the back of the case like an animal! All it's missing is the black-and-white. :allears:

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Yes, yes, southern trespass my hdmi hole!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

SupSuper posted:

If only I could see what I was doing instead of blindly tapping at the back of the case like an animal! All it's missing is the black-and-white. :allears:

All its missing is some middle-aged white person accidentally causing themselves serious injury.

Like they should accidentally tip over the computer and smash everything.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

SupSuper posted:

A reversible cable won't prevent you from trying to jam it in the HDMI port!

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Ah yes, the ol' "I accidentally stuck it in the wrong hole" ploy.

FreakerByTheSpeaker
Dec 3, 2006

You got your good things
And I've got mine

Bad Munki posted:

Ah yes, the ol' "I accidentally stuck it in the wrong hole" ploy.

Shoulda tested the waters with his finger first.

Or in the inventor's case, a fork.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Yaos posted:

Haha, talk about creating a solution to a nonexistent problem.

Don't most tower cases and PCs have USB ports on the front now? You can't get it wrong unless you're blind.

Hell they print the Usb symbol on most cables to indicate how to orient it.

Oh...and there's the little matter of a thing called USB C. To their credit, it'll be years before it's widely adopted but STILL...

Edit: WHAT IF I PLUG THE ADAPTER THE WRONG WAY!? My electronics!!! :ohdear:

Snuffman has a new favorite as of 18:15 on Mar 16, 2015

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Snuffman posted:

Edit: WHAT IF I PLUG THE ADAPTER THE WRONG WAY!? My electronics!!! :ohdear:

Then you have to wait for his next kickstarter: the adapter-adapter. One thing at a time. :colbert:

The General
Mar 4, 2007

This is literally me with every USB port I come into contact with, whether I can see it or not. USB should have been bidirectional when it was released :colbert:

Rambling Robot
Sep 13, 2011
Duggar Fan Club Superstar #1 LOL

Yaos posted:

Protect them from what?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

The General posted:

This is literally me with every USB port I come into contact with, whether I can see it or not. USB should have been bidirectional when it was released :colbert:

Agreed. The average number of attempts required to correctly insert a USB cable is three. This is why Apple switched to Lightning, a far superior design which due to being bidirectional requires only two attempts to insert on average.

None of which changes the fact that this "revolutionary solution" is as much use as a trapdoor in a canoe.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

The General posted:

You forget that back in the dark ages when USB was first proposed, we were all plugging our joysticks into printer ports and everything had its own serial size.

USB was a godsend and the minor inconvenience of having to turn around the port twice wasn't even something we could have fathomed back then.

Luckily glorious USB 3.1 shall deliver us unto the chosen land.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Hopefully USB power delivery in USB 3.1 will get rid off a bunch of wall warts.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Zaphod42 posted:

You forget that back in the dark ages when USB was first proposed, we were all plugging our joysticks into printer ports and everything had its own serial size.

USB was a godsend and the minor inconvenience of having to turn around the port twice wasn't even something we could have fathomed back then.

You could also plug in/out a Keyboard or Mouse while the PC was running and it didn't blue screen (or worse) the machine!

Tedd_Not_Ed
Feb 16, 2014

I've seen games go perfect for 12 innings all for naught. I've seen no-hitters pitched on illicit drugs. Homer streaks lasting eight games and 20 run losses. I've seen pennants won and seasons collapse. All these memories will be lost in time. Like tears in the rain.

Time to die.

Zaphod42 posted:

Don't forget that the pain of "I have to turn the USB over twice! Oh no!" is nothing compared to the pain of "Oh look, one of the 6 pins thinner than a paper clip is just slightly bent. Looks like I'm not using the computer this week."

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Tedd_Not_Ed posted:

Don't forget that the pain of "I have to turn the USB over twice! Oh no!" is nothing compared to the pain of "Oh look, one of the 6 pins thinner than a paper clip is just slightly bent. Looks like I'm not using the computer this week."

I've actually managed to repair Serial and VGA connectors that had a bent pin :smuggo:

The absolute worst is if you manage to un-seat the motherboard socket. Hundreds of wafer-thin pins. Nobody could fix that poo poo.

Cat Planet
Jun 26, 2010

:420: :catdrugs: :420:
For the sake of experiment, I have just shown a two year old child how to insert a USB drive and he managed to do it in about ten seconds.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
I got my mom an Amazon Kindle Fire HDX and the usb port is impossible for her to see, let alone attempt to plug in at an angle and the right way. She can hardly see and her hands are too shaky to try and get it in right, she didn't use it for weeks because she was worried she wasn't using the plug right. I ended up installing a pad that lets you charge it by placing it on top of the charger base. But this, I'd buy this for her so she never had to fumble with a USB port again.

I imagine people with arthritis will find that useful too.

Nevermind, it just solves the flipping it over, no micro and no usb 3.0 support won't help here.

null_user01013 has a new favorite as of 21:35 on Mar 16, 2015

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Zaphod42 posted:

I've actually managed to repair Serial and VGA connectors that had a bent pin :smuggo:

The absolute worst is if you manage to un-seat the motherboard socket. Hundreds of wafer-thin pins. Nobody could fix that poo poo.

Mechanical pencil over pin, veeeeery carefully bend it back into place. I've repaired an LGA775 pin or two, but nothing finer. Modern sockets would be probably literally impossible.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Well, I just spend two seconds googling and these already exist, both as adapters and cables:
http://www.tripplite.com/product/reversible-usb-cables/1048

Maybe those are the ones that "slip out all the time" like the video mentions. :rolleyes:

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

wa27 posted:

Well, I just spend two seconds googling and these already exist, both as adapters and cables:
http://www.tripplite.com/product/reversible-usb-cables/1048

Yeah but those are from some huge Chinese factory, these are like, hand-made man. Like indie versions, that's what Kickstarter is all about! Helping the little guy! That's why those other hipster niche projects like iphone covers made of authentic hand stitched Nepalese yak leather, or iphone belt holders made from all natural organic gluten free hemp grown locally on New York rooftops do so well, because we want to help INDIE creators!

So go away with your actual established product from reputable companies mumbo jumbo. That's not what Kickstarter is about man. :colbert:

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Tedd_Not_Ed posted:

My girlfriend's parents once had a problem where the ancient PC wouldn't POST after a move. A thorough examination revealed that one of the PS/2 pins on the keyboard connector was bent, which caused the computer to emit a shrill beeping noise and not turn on. Flipping a cable is peanuts.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Jedit posted:

This is why Apple switched to Lightning, a far superior design which due to being bidirectional requires only two attempts to insert on average.

I can't tell if you're joking or you somehow misinsert a plug that can go in either way. :psyduck:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

I can't tell if you're joking or you somehow misinsert a plug that can go in either way. :psyduck:

Combination of :thejoke: and people are terrible at everything. :v:

He's right though, USB tends to take 3 attempts to get it right.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
I like how the kickstarter reads like one of those lovely TV ads for a piece of garbage that doesn't actually work when you get it.

Zaphod42 posted:

Sorry but I was plugging my joysticks into the joystick/midi port, because I wasn't a POOR who couldn't afford a middle range soundcard.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

It actually is possible to partially insert some USBs the wrong way, as the plastic flexes enough to let it get shoved a few millimeters in. This might be what stymies some attempts to figure out which end is which for people not familiar with them.

Space Butler
Dec 3, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/weiner/the-gentlemans-single-use-monocle

And I thought the kitten cardgame was a bad webcomic kickstarter.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Space Butler posted:

Dude is banking 9k a month off Patreon + ads from his website and now this. I cannot fault this man for conning idiots

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Space Butler posted:

Do they explain anywhere just why it's disposable beyond "Pay for more of these"?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Jedit posted:

None of which changes the fact that this "revolutionary solution" is as much use as a trapdoor in a canoe.

Come to think of it, I could have used that on my most recent outing. Sometimes, near-drowning and hypothermia is a preferable option to staying one more second in the same canoe as some people…

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!

chitoryu12 posted:

Do they explain anywhere just why it's disposable beyond "Pay for more of these"?

I guess when you take it out of the wrapper it stops being funny because... jokes?

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

http://www.smbc-comics.com/

the comic even explains that it's dumb and more or less a money grab

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

chitoryu12 posted:

It was a joke in one of his old comics that I can't be arsed to dig up.