Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SuperSix
Aug 22, 2012

Adventure Pigeon posted:

Yeah, I'm not looking forward to the tier 6 Japanese destroyer. Ah well, once I get to the high tiers I'll make the most beautiful patterns with my horrific torpedo swarms.

the only good part about this ship right now is that ive got my commander skilled in the smoke skill and im dumping smoke everywhere now

that and the fact that my concealment is around 6k makes it bareable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

BadLlama posted:

There is something very satisfying when you can unload all your torpedoes in a tight spread and have them all slam into one target. Just murder the poo poo out of them.

CV torpedoes doing like 18K damage from want torpedo is kind of insane in my opinion but I haven't played a CV so not sure how hard it is to hit targets.

It's pretty easy to hit a bad bb with a bunch of torpedoes with even a mediocre pattern. It's pretty hard to hit a good bb with more than one or two with a carrier load of torp bombers.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

So for those of us not in the beta, what kind of early ships are there at Tier 1 and 2 or so?

Will we get to roll around in the HMS Dreadnought? :britain:

Or pre-dreadnoughts/armoured cruisers?

SuperSix
Aug 22, 2012

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

So for those of us not in the beta, what kind of early ships are there at Tier 1 and 2 or so?

You got the Erie (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Erie_%28PG-50%29) for the USN and the Katori for the IJN.

So still about 30 years after the Dreadnought

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

xthetenth posted:

It's pretty easy to hit a bad bb with a bunch of torpedoes with even a mediocre pattern. It's pretty hard to hit a good bb with more than one or two with a carrier load of torp bombers.
Yeah I've dropped a big spread from two torp bombers (basically the size of a wide spread but as thick as a normal) and the enemy just casually steers his big, slow and clumsy ship right through a gap like it's no thing. Then there are the bad players you only miss if they randomly decide to change direction by pure chance.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

It's early century and WW 1 era stuff till about tier 3 and mostly inter-war stuff for a few tiers after that.
The current low tier goon favourite, the St. Louis class, was built between 1905 and 06 and looks like this:

She's beautiful. <3

Nordick fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Mar 16, 2015

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Tier 1 is training ships, Than you jump back in time for tier 2 and on for turn of the century ships, You will get the dreadnought, since IJN gets their version of the dreadnought

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

xthetenth posted:

Fuso and Kongo can juke real well, its loving annoying. Kongo has better dodging, but Fuso has massively superior AA to make up for it.

Kawachi and Miyogi can get dunked though. I've also had some success faking my bombers towards a BB and then swerving and dropping a wide spread at a cruiser or DD. As long as they're headed in a straight line and not paying attention, even the fastest DD is easy to torpedo.

I don't even try to kill enemy carriers anymore. Alpha striking a Langley was a fun and valid tactic that added some depth to carrier play, but the Independence and Saipan are both hella fast, maneuverable, and can take a decent amount of damage before checking out. You need most of two full spreads to hit in order to take one out, and good luck with that.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

SuperSix posted:

You got the Erie (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Erie_%28PG-50%29) for the USN and the Katori for the IJN.

So still about 30 years after the Dreadnought

But then time reverses to 1906 in Tier II which is a bit weird. I would love to see WWI Jutland-style battleship duels sans aircraft.

Nordick posted:

The current low tier goon favourite, the St. Louis class, was built between 1905 and 06 and looks like this:

She's beautiful. <3

I hope the Olympia gets introduced as a premium or something. I've taken to to spamming "You may fire when ready, Gridley" when driving a St. Louis.

VVVV I think they're also giving keys out on Twitter.

Moral_Hazard fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Mar 16, 2015

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

Only the US and Japanese lines are in the game so nobody knows for sure which UK or Russian ships will get in.

For all the people asking about keys, Wargaming has been giving them out dozens at a time to people streaming the game on Twitch, so you might be able to find one there.

I'm still bad at ships myself, I get murdered by torps all the time and never even see them coming, I need to get used to not tunnel visioning so hard.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

The first battleships are to tier three and are the US and Japanese counterparts of the dreadnought, which is kinda like the katori, in that it doesn't have superfiring turrets like the South Carolina. I'm not sure if she's going to be able to get all three frontish turrets firing off the bow, that could be super neat, and she'll at least be able to fire with three while waggling her stern at destroyers. I think she's another design where turning away from the enemy is best like in the myogi, and being able to turn with about 3/4ths of your firepower available is nice and cheap compared to most battleships (I evaluate the cost of turns in how many salvoes from how many turrets I'll miss. I dislike evenly split turret layouts because turning masks half your guns as they slowly turn around)

If you're going in on alpha striking enemy carriers, go all in with all you've got and get one out. Then you can leverage numbers to mob their planes. In carriers, grouping up and pooling your AA is great at hurting attempts to alpha strike you out, but be extra careful of destroyers slipping through. The best defense is swarming them with dive bombers and then a ton of torpedoes from every angle. A better defense is not having all eggs in one basket.

xthetenth fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Mar 16, 2015

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys

Nordick posted:

It's early century and WW 1 era stuff till about tier 3 and mostly inter-war stuff for a few tiers after that.

She's beautiful. <3

The South Carolina class is going to be the Tier 3 USN BB.

They've got that same style of prewar "floating castle" swag.

USN BBs are gonna be sloooow though. The South Carolina only does 18.5 knots and you're stuck at a standard speed of 21 knots all the way to tier 7. Then the North Carolina get up to 27 knts and the Iowa is :rice: Montana drops back to ~28 knots.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Lol.i halbve already saod i inferno circstances wanttpgback

Poil posted:

Do dive bombers have any use beyond being sent in first to hopefully set fire to the ship you're about to torp? It's amazing how often pubbies blow their repair on the fire and then can't do anything about the flooding. Destroyers seem way too small and fast to be hit by bombers.

Dive bombers on auto can hit DDs. The low damage they do isn't such a big deal when you're harassing some rear end in a top hat destroyer.

They also launch faster than torp bombers ( I think ), and are alright for crits. Sometimes you get lucky and blow up a BB's turret, which is funny, except when it happens to you.

I wouldn't be surprised if they buff dive bomber damage at some point. It could be twice what it is right now, and it would still be fine.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

xthetenth posted:

The first battleships are to tier three and are the US and Japanese counterparts of the dreadnought, which is kinda like the katori, in that it doesn't have superfiring turrets like the South Carolina. I'm not sure if she's going to be able to get all three frontish turrets firing off the bow, that could be super neat, and she'll at least be able to fire with three while waggling her stern at destroyers. I think she's another design where turning away from the enemy is best like in the myogi, and being able to turn with about 3/4ths of your firepower available is nice and cheap compared to most battleships (I evaluate the cost of turns in how many salvoes from how many turrets I'll miss. I dislike evenly split turret layouts because turning masks half your guns as they slowly turn around)

Whenever the French gets in there's gonna be some sweet forward gun action on the Dunkerque (Slam Dunk from the Dunk). And if I remember my NF right, the British Nelson had a similar thing going on. Just be careful not to get any enemies on your rear end.

American battleships being slow as balls will hopefully be compensated by AA, but Torp bombers and DDs are gonna be a pain in the rear end regardless.

SuperSix
Aug 22, 2012
Is the HMS Hood gonna be in?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

The River-class frigate, C class light cruiser and Scott and Shakespeare class Destroyer Leaders would appear to be Royal Navy tier 1 options

Republicanus
Oct 16, 2002

Have a smoke. Coffee? You're welcome.
Fun Shoe

SuperSix posted:

Is the HMS Hood gonna be in?

Don't see why not. It's easy to model a ship on fire and have it explode.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

HMS Hood won't be in, but the HMS Howe (admiral class) will be.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Pimpmust posted:

Whenever the French gets in there's gonna be some sweet forward gun action on the Dunkerque (Slam Dunk from the Dunk). And if I remember my NF right, the British Nelson had a similar thing going on. Just be careful not to get any enemies on your rear end.

American battleships being slow as balls will hopefully be compensated by AA, but Torp bombers and DDs are gonna be a pain in the rear end regardless.

The Japanese and Soviets also had similar design draft layouts to the nelson. It was kind of a thing during the treaty era. Even the us sketched out a similar design, but they got all three turrets superfiring and offset the rear two so they had better stern coverage :catdrugs:. (I'll edit in a pic when I get home).

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

Generation Internet posted:

Phontomen's videos sold me on this, it looks like a lot of good fun to dump torpedoes into boats. Sorry if this comes up every page, but how often are they sending out invites to the closed beta?

You have to keep an eye on the sign up page and keep spamming it until you get in. From there just pray they get to you in a timely fashion. There is no preference over who gets in at this point. poo poo even for alpha when they supposedly were screening people I think it was all bullshit.

Good luck, goonspeed and hope you get in.

So does anyone know of any AA fuckery they can share with the rest of us looking for magic keys to mash while in game? They've left everything up to chance and for the players to figure out which does no one any good. I'll post it in the OP as well.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

McSpanky posted:

Turns out there's a practical application for high school trigonometry after all. :smugnerd:

Sadly, that's literally the point of highschool trig. We're teaching our kids the skills needed to fight a war 70 years old now.

It would probably help pubbies if your X-lockon would give you a visual indication of how fast the turrets are rotating to track the enemy ship - without it, you get a good idea by how fast you have to move the mouse to keep them in view.

Is there a way to disable it entirely? Hitting X turns it off for a bit then it grabs another ship automatically.

Maybe I'm really good at leading, but I seem to be able to straddle or hit first volley most of the time. What I can't get is reliable penetration with AP - I thought same-tier should pen even at the lower tiers, but for me most of my shots just impact their citadel armor without penetrating. Fire enough and I'll get a solid hit by luck, but it's disappointing to see them hit exactly where you want and do triple-digit damage. I've tried point-blank and 12km out, dropping them right on their deck.

Knocking out an engine is similarly rare, but it must be trivial to do because people seem to take mine out all the time, sometimes on the first shot of the game.

Harik fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Mar 16, 2015

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

KcDohl posted:

Or even a Nagato!

Looking forward to spamming REMEMBER PEARL HARBOR every time I attack one

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !

Pimpmust posted:

HMS Hood won't be in, but the HMS Howe (admiral class) will be.

Any reason for this ? Out of respect for the dead ?

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Shoot the middle of the ship. That's it. Citadel hits and crits are pure RNG beyond that.

SuperSix
Aug 22, 2012

Hammerstein posted:

I mean, we already have the Yamato don't we?

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

demonR6 posted:

You have to keep an eye on the sign up page and keep spamming it until you get in. From there just pray they get to you in a timely fashion. There is no preference over who gets in at this point. poo poo even for alpha when they supposedly were screening people I think it was all bullshit.

Good luck, goonspeed and hope you get in.

So does anyone know of any AA fuckery they can share with the rest of us looking for magic keys to mash while in game? They've left everything up to chance and for the players to figure out which does no one any good. I'll post it in the OP as well.

If one squad's coming in or you want to beat up on one squad and comb the other, holding ctrl and clicking a squad improves damage against it but reduces it against the rest.

And generally ship classes get named after the first of type but wg's been imprecise with that before.

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

I am a master storyteller.

Hammerstein posted:

They seem to prefer class names rather than the names of individual ships.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Adventure Pigeon posted:

They seem to prefer class names rather than the names of individual ships.

They go with the class names and usually get it right.

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

Hammerstein posted:

You won't get famous ship names, but rather the ship hull name, There was talk that famous ships will be premiums, So stuff like Hood,Bismark,Enterprise,so on

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

What the gently caress is with the game not rendering torpedoes until they're like 5 seconds from hitting? The last day or so I have played I've died to torpedoes over and over because they just materialize out of nothing far too late for you to do anything about it.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Fart Car '97 posted:

Shoot the middle of the ship. That's it. Citadel hits and crits are pure RNG beyond that.

The best way to get citadel penetrations is to hit the hull directly beneath the turrets. I almost never get them when I aim for the center (probably because that's where the armor is thickest), but if you aim for the turrets you'll get those sweet, sweet 15k damage shots.

The Kongo is amazing at this. Not only can you one-shot DDs and cruisers easily, but you can fire sequentially instead of a salvo and get four chances per reload instead of one. Other BBs are tricky because even if you hit the right spot with AP, their armor usually means you only get a partial penetration. Which still does massive damage, just not the free lunch hitting a DD or CA is.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Fart Car '97 posted:

What the gently caress is with the game not rendering torpedoes until they're like 5 seconds from hitting? The last day or so I have played I've died to torpedoes over and over because they just materialize out of nothing far too late for you to do anything about it.

Get better at maneuvering if you're under attack from a torpedo-armed ship, and start maneuvering before you see the actual torpedoes.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Cythereal posted:

Get better at maneuvering if you're under attack from a torpedo-armed ship, and start maneuvering before you see the actual torpedoes.

That doesn't answer my question. The first few days I played Torpedoes were visible from enough distance away that you could at least react. The last 10-20 rounds they've just materialized a hundred yards from my ship.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Fart Car '97 posted:

That doesn't answer my question. The first few days I played Torpedoes were visible from enough distance away that you could at least react. The last 10-20 rounds they've just materialized a hundred yards from my ship.

It does answer your question. By the time you can see the torpedoes it's probably too late. If it's a destroyer, Japanese cruiser, or one of the oddball American cruisers, assume they're firing torpedoes at you and act accordingly.

Alternatively, mess with your graphics possibly.

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

Fart Car '97 posted:

It could be lag issues between you and them, or if they are torp bombers, the guy is manual torping you

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Cythereal posted:

It does answer your question. By the time you can see the torpedoes it's probably too late. If it's a destroyer, Japanese cruiser, or one of the oddball American cruisers, assume they're firing torpedoes at you and act accordingly.

Alternatively, mess with your graphics possibly.

Yes "Maneuver" is a great answer to "Why are torpedoes suddenly appearing at much closer rangers than they were before", thanks

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Potentially good torpedo bombers dropping right on you, so they don't exist before that.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Fart Car '97 posted:

Yes "Maneuver" is a great answer to "Why are torpedoes suddenly appearing at much closer rangers than they were before", thanks

My point was that it doesn't matter all that much, you should be responding to the probable attack before you see it. It's been my experience that unless I'm in a destroyer myself, by the time I see torpedoes it's usually too late to do much about it.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Cythereal posted:

My point was that it doesn't matter all that much, you should be responding to the probable attack before you see it. It's been my experience that unless I'm in a destroyer myself, by the time I see torpedoes it's usually too late to do much about it.

Yeah that's great but I wasn't asking for advice on how to not get hit, I'm generally pretty good at dodging torpedoes that I can see. As the Langley that I sunk just learned while I bobbed and weaved my Clemson in and out of TB volleys before setting him on Fire with HE, then knocking his rudder out with a Torp and finishing him off shortly After :unsmigghh:

I'll just chalk it up to the generally poo poo connection I've had to the game for the last day or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !
This game will satisfy my naval needs until War Thunder does ships right. Imagine something like the x-ray hit camera from War Thunder ground forces in a naval game, seeing where and what the shell penetrated instead of a pure rng system.