Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?
Speaking of Masonic temples, there is a gorgeous one in Guthrie, Oklahoma.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=904_X6os3Zs

Part of it was formerly the legislative chamber for the state, before they moved the capitol from Guthrie to Oklahoma City. Since there was suddenly a lot of open land, it was given to the Masons. They added on to the existing structure, and the thing is loving huge - something like 400,000 square feet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Souvlaki ss
Mar 7, 2014

It's not tomorrow until I sleep

Spatule posted:

Welcome to Belgium. We do beer, and fries, and chocolate quite well.
Architecture though ? Not so much: http://uglybelgianhouses.tumblr.com/

I love that tumblr, it makes my life so much better

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

Cook County Jail in the middle of downtown Chicago. Buddy had an apartment that looked down over it and you could see inmates working out on the rooftop courtyard area they get.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

Preoptopus posted:

Cook County Jail in the middle of downtown Chicago. Buddy had an apartment that looked down over it and you could see inmates working out on the rooftop courtyard area they get.

The fact that there was a prison break the other year blows my mind.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say

:mrgw:

edit

strap on revenge fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Mar 16, 2015

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

Preoptopus posted:

This is one of my favorite buildings in the city! Also that's the Metropolitan Correctional Center, it's a temporary holding facility. Apparently pretty livable as prisons go. Weese is one of my favorite architects. Here are the River Cottages, which he built before the river was fashionable.

That is smack dab in the heart of downtown, mind you. The only bad part about living there is during the summer you have to listen to an endless stream of tour guides on boats talk about it. Four units, all of them were in the hands of the original buyers from back in the 70s but one's about to go on the market and no one has any idea how much it'll sell for.

Edit: For content, behold: The ugliest building in one of the prettiest stretches of architecture in the entire world.

Benagain fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Mar 16, 2015

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

That car in the driveway is like :vince:

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

Cultural Imperial posted:

That car in the driveway is like :vince:

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Trevor Hale posted:

The fact that there was a prison break the other year blows my mind.

christopher nolan's brother?

Lars Blitzer
Aug 17, 2004

He drinks a Whiskey drink, he drinks a Vodka drink
He drinks a Lager drink, he drinks a Cider drink...

Dick Tracy's number one fan.

neckbeard posted:

Surprised at the lack of Edmonton in this thread

our Provincial Law Courts

downtown library

Then we slapped some poo poo on one side to hide the brutalism

"Wow, the nice thing about this city is the amazing river valley, I think I'll build a nice million dollar house right at the edge of it..."

Pretty much almost the entirety of the University of Alberta campus can be posted in this thread. Aside from a bare handful of older buildings, most are Brutalist, and almost all are ugly.

Backweb
Feb 14, 2009

gleebster posted:

Is the "Surrender Dorothy" graffiti still on that overpass?

It was still there as of last August. I lived a few exits away from the Mormon temple.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Preoptopus posted:

Someone needs to photoshop a cheese grater into this photo because that building looks like it was based on a loving cheese grater.

Default Settings
May 29, 2001

Keep your 'lectric eye on me, babe
Architect being all "lol, gently caress you, Fachwerk!"

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

What the gently caress is this ugly poo poo?

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003
In all fairness probably no architect was involved in any of those Belgian houses.
Belgians tend to Grover their own houses so we are lucky if a design engineer was consulted.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Major for Bavaria maybe. I also recommend visiting Regensburg. Really pleasant and beautiful on a mild summer day.
Regensburg is the best city in the world. Source: it's my hometown.

This is the typical glamour shot. Oldest stone bridge in Europe, medieval old town, the works. Gorgeous.

Don't venture too far south, though. You might end up at the university, which was built in the 60s so it looks about what you'd expect - bonus: because of the river, it's misty like three quarters of the days, so you get this:

But sometimes, when the sun shines, you can really see the campus from its best side!

nvm

To be totally fair, the concrete cleans up rather nicely when you actually paint it, so the central plaza with lake and all does actually carry itself well:

If you turn around from here, though, you get the Chemistry and Physics buildings and those look like absolute poo poo and their interior design is so nonsensical that you get lost within milliseconds even after three years there.

All of the white spaces are actually empty spots in the building (so it's built like a fisher's net), and I think you're supposed to go there and gather in benches and admire the fact that they put greenery in-between the concrete wasteland, but in reality, nobody ever ventures there, it's overgrown with shrubbery or everything is dead because surprise, it's really loving shady in the middle of a brutalist concrete web.

Roy
Sep 24, 2007

Cultural Imperial posted:

Question for brits, how does anyone manage to live in Sheffield without committing suicide?

I think Plug is right around the corner from the image you posted. About 200m west you'll find Corp. That's your answer pretty much.

Roy fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Mar 16, 2015

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

Default Settings posted:

Architect being all "lol, gently caress you, Fachwerk!"

Fuckwork

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

`Nemesis posted:

It eventually got torn down

Aw man, I went to my first sci-fi con at this place: getting drunk as gently caress in the elevators, smoking dope with con security on the roof in the middle of January, and generally being an rear end. RIP you ugly purple piece of poo poo.

ruebennase
Oct 18, 2011
Not quite sure if this one fits the theme, since it's not just an architectural failure but rather a quite epic clusterfuck of architectural, engineering, construction and bureaucratic failures.

Berlin-Brandenburg Airport (BER):

Construction began in 2006. The airport was supposed to open in 2010 and the project was budgeted at around 1.7 billion .
In a shining example of German efficiency and engineering genius, the opening has been delayed several times (currently they're hoping to possibly get it opened some time in 2017) and cost has ballooned to about 5.4 billion so far.

The main problem seems to be the fire detection and suppression system: The architects didn't want smoke vents on the roof "for aesthetic reasons", so several very high profile German engineering firms came up with an ingenius way of routing exhaust pipes under the buildings and designing a system that was supposed to suck fire/smoke out of the buildings and pump it through those underground vents (apparently violating several laws of physics along the way).

Sounds neat, but so far it just doesn't work. For several reasons. The most important one being, there were about five different companies working on components of the system but they apparently never figured out how to properly interface all these elements. And even if they had managed to get it to work, the materials used in construction apparently are not actually rated for the temperatures the system is supposed to be dealing with.

Also, the underground vents (which are supposed to route very hot air, remember) were supposedly placed too close to underground power and/or fuel lines.
In addition to that there apparently was a problem with the fire/smoke detection systems, to the point that there was a suggestion to get rid of it and hire some 600 fire marshals to watch out for fires instead (seriously).

And this is only the stuff concerning the fire suppression system. In addition to that there seem to be major problems with basically anything underground - fuel lines/airplane refueling system not working, high voltage power and communication network lines being too close to each other and even (so far unconfirmed) rumors that the runways could not actually support big airliners.

Add to that a metric fuckton of generally shoddy construction. There was a report published a while ago which mentions some 85,000 "serious" defects, such as escalators missing steps, stairwell railings being several meters too short, ventilation shafts that get flooded by rain and other stuff that sounds like it belongs in the china.jpg thread.

And as if that wasn't enough, there are also lots of IT problems (network problems in general and the airport emergency services being unable to interface with the city emergency services in particular), several instances of corruption (the people/committees in charge have been fired/replaced several times over the years) and bureaucratic hilarity - the building permits are about to expire soonish and supposedly it's gonna take months to renew them, so work might have to be suspended altogether. Also, there have been some squabbles over jurisdiction for police/emergency services, since the airport is technically outside of Berlin (which is its own state), meaning the state of Brandenburg would be responsible, even though Berlin is RIGHT THERE and has much better infrastructure/resources.

So, yeah. German efficiency.
Allegedly there have been semi-serious ramblings about how demolishing everything and starting over might be cheaper than trying to fix this mess.
And the running joke among Berlin's citizenship is that tearing down Berlin and rebuilding it next to a functioning airport might be cheaper and quicker than trying to repair BER.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

ruebennase posted:

And the running joke among Berlin's citizenship is that tearing down Berlin and rebuilding it next to a functioning airport might be cheaper and quicker than trying to repair BER.
Maybe they can build it a place that can actually support the Volkshalle then.

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib
Postmodernism in Tel Aviv.

I believe this building is main reason Hamas hates Israel and is the root cause of the Palestinian conflict.

1secondpersecond
Nov 12, 2008

ruebennase posted:

Not quite sure if this one fits the theme, since it's not just an architectural failure but rather a quite epic clusterfuck of architectural, engineering, construction and bureaucratic failures.

For completeness, let's talk about what BER was supposed to replace: TXL and SXF. Berlin's two functioning airports, Schoenefeld and Tegel, provide air travel capacity that would be adequate for a city about a fifth the size of Berlin.

TXL has some hexagonal charm, but it's an ugly congested building with a terrible interior layout. Best known as the airport where you take a commuter flight to Frankfurt before you head to your actual destination.

It does have one nice thing: a very satisfying flappy board for flight announcements.

Schoenefeld is also an ugly building, and it has the added advantages of being smaller and even more poorly planned.

A quarter of the gates are accessed by walking through the airport's Burger King.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...

Matt18001 posted:

That bridge has a slant on it.

One more like that, and you're fired, Clarkson!

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

1secondpersecond posted:

It does have one nice thing: a very satisfying flappy board for flight announcements.

Then it has to continue. The world needs to preserve the giant flappy boards :allears:

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
Along one of the oldest Amsterdam canals is this university building:

Lovely...

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Oh yeah, Schönefeld had some of the worst layout choices I've seen, starting at the second floor endless hallway of taxfree shops that you could very easily miss - and that were the easiest way to move between the terminals.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Omi-Polari posted:

Holy lmao the Egyptian junta wants to build a new capital city out in the desert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7KdtShlwqA

what better timing than when you're experiencing a low-level insurgency and every country around you is in the middle of a brutal civil war

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Souvlaki ss posted:

I love that tumblr, it makes my life so much better

i live in belgium this is entry level poo poo at best

Sir John Feelgood
Nov 18, 2009

I almost became an architecture major, before I realized architecture majors are the most bolovious people alive.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Simply Simon posted:

This is the typical glamour shot. Oldest stone bridge in Europe, medieval old town, the works. Gorgeous.

That noob poo poo ain't even close to being the oldest stone bridge in Europe.

1secondpersecond
Nov 12, 2008

Computer viking posted:

Oh yeah, Schönefeld had some of the worst layout choices I've seen, starting at the second floor endless hallway of taxfree shops that you could very easily miss - and that were the easiest way to move between the terminals.

Certainly beats the creepy downstairs concourse with the pictures of George Bush, Angela Merkel, and pope Ratzinger photoshopped as babies as an ad for small format newspapers.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

ruebennase posted:

The architects didn't want smoke vents on the roof "for aesthetic reasons"

architects are seriously the most pretentious wankers in the world

Komojo
Jun 30, 2007

I like reading about far-fetched city planning ideas that will never see the light of day.

First, we have Sky City in Changsha, China, which would be the tallest building in the world if it actually gets built.

The construction company wants to build it from prefabricated parts and do all of the construction in 90 days. Apparently that's not even enough time for the steel to settle properly. Also there doesn't seem to be any plan for dealing with wind or fire evacuation.

Next up, Freedom Ship, a 10-billion dollar Libertarian paradise that will never be built:

In addition to being huge and impractical, the design would fit right in this thread if it were real.

Finally there's 8-City, the 280-billion dollar floating city in South Korea that will never be built:

featuring the giant dildo building:

There was a thread about this earlier. I may have said this last time, but I think it would actually make a pretty cool level in a video game. That would be a feasible way to make back the money that was put into this, as opposed to the actual money that was probably spent on hookers and drugs.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

ruebennase posted:

You forgot to mention my favourite SNAFU of the entire mess: they forgot to fit in a light switch... for the entire airport.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

To offset for that German engineering and architectural failure, let's have a French one! (Even if it is being constructed on Finnish soil.)

In 2005, the Finnish government gave the go-ahead to building a new nuclear reactor in Olkiluoto, next to two existing Soviet-built ones. The project was estimated to cost 3,2 billion euros and it was supposed to go online in 2010. The contractor chosen was the French AREVA, a massive nuclear energy company mostly owned and subsidized by the French government. The reactor chosen is a new type called the EPR that is supposed to be more safe and efficient than previous generations of reactors.

Olkiluoto 3, still under construction.

After a decade of missed deadlines, shoddy construction, faulty engineering, shady employment practices involving immigrant labour from Eastern Europe and a myriad of scandals of various sorts, the project is now estimated to cost at least 8,5 billion euros, making it one of the most, if not the most expensive construction project on the globe, with the extra cost mostly being borne by AREVA, threatening to sink the entire company. The plant is now estimated to go online in 2018, although everyone seems to have given up hope at this point and are just resignedly telling someone, anyone to get on with it at the pace of their choosing.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Komojo posted:

I like reading about far-fetched city planning ideas that will never see the light of day.

First, we have Sky City in Changsha, China, which would be the tallest building in the world if it actually gets built.

The construction company wants to build it from prefabricated parts and do all of the construction in 90 days. Apparently that's not even enough time for the steel to settle properly. Also there doesn't seem to be any plan for dealing with wind or fire evacuation.

Next up, Freedom Ship, a 10-billion dollar Libertarian paradise that will never be built:

In addition to being huge and impractical, the design would fit right in this thread if it were real.

Finally there's 8-City, the 280-billion dollar floating city in South Korea that will never be built:

featuring the giant dildo building:

There was a thread about this earlier. I may have said this last time, but I think it would actually make a pretty cool level in a video game. That would be a feasible way to make back the money that was put into this, as opposed to the actual money that was probably spent on hookers and drugs.

You should play Brink. Well, actually you shouldn't since the AI is terrible and no one plays it online anymore.

EmperorFritoBandito
Aug 7, 2010

by exmarx

Komojo posted:

I think I'd like that design if it was just built to sane proportions.

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Likchenpa.

Komojo posted:

Featured in Grant Morrison's The Filth as a wandering city of cannibal pirate libertarians!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
The Winchester House
What do you do when you're the widow of the owner of Winchester Arms and subsequently rake in more money than you know what to do with during the heady days of tax-free America?
Build a grand house of course. But along the way you get a superstitious turn that the ghosts of everyone killed by your late husband's guns are knocking around so you spirit proof your house into a sprawling seven storey mansion. It lost four of them during an earthquake in which the house's unique floating foundation spared it from total destruction.

Features include countless tacked on additions where needed. Windows inside the place, including one that was especially designed to cast rainbows over a room - and then installed into an indoor room and countless references to the number 13, even going so far as to have chandeliers modified to support the right amount of candles.
tons of images here. It's quite hard to describe how utterly bizarre the inside of this place is.

Fonthill Abbey
What happens should you inherit a million pounds during the early 1800's? William Beckford knew. Kindle your inner romantic, and build this Gothic Revival monstrosity, pitting the long suffering James Wyatt to design it for you.

These images are not exaggerating, this place was immense. The front door was thirty feet and allegedly made to feel more imposing by hiring a dwarf footman. To keep out people a massive wall dubbed "the barrier" rose at twelve feet and had the cozy addition of iron spikes. It took sixty fires burning during summer to keep the place warm as even bedrooms were little more than icy cells. Yet Beckford entertained nobody despite serving food for twelve people around the fifty foot dining table.

In an effort to get it up in time they used an experimental "roman cement" which often crumbled to bits and even when finished the place kept making really unsettling groans. The tower collapsed six times.

James Wyatt was also pretty insane in his ways. His Gothick styles were eventually given a term to describe their resulting ambiance; 'gloomth'. For King George III's palace at Kew he produced an imposing structure dubbed "the Bastille" and was to featured a new building material for the day; cast iron.

• Locked thread