Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

RE: Denim washing chat; I have a few pairs so they don't get worn often. I have an office job that I can wear denim to and I am in a climate controlled environment all the time except for when I am out and about. Utah is a pretty moderate climate as well. Hanging denim on a hanger to allow them to breathe helps keep them from smelling like rear end. If they smell then they need a wash. I do gentle cycle with Woolite stuff for knits/darks and hang dry (NEVER TUMBLE DRY, the horror!) I would say it is about 2 or 3 times a year per pair of jeans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I didn't expect that Wales would have a Quebec-style sign law. That's interesting.

How did your friend get injured in Wales?
He looked at another man's sheep.

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
You guys can keep talking about all the paleoholistic hipster freezerburn air dry febreeze shenanigans that you do to your jeans and it still won't convince me that poo poo ain't grody. Wash your drat clothes.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

88h88 posted:

Your thighs are the size of my waist. Respect.

I must now go to the gym.

If you wear a "size 32", the waist measurement can be off by as much as 10" (yes, really).

I have plenty of pants with size 32 waists, but my actual waist measurement is just over 40". Don't trust vanity sizing.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
10? That's nuts. Who makes them?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Automotive Insanity > April Chat Thread: Waist Measurements Can't Hold Me

The Jabberwocky
May 31, 2006

At least it worked.

KozmoNaut posted:

If you wear a "size 32", the waist measurement can be off by as much as 10" (yes, really).

I have plenty of pants with size 32 waists, but my actual waist measurement is just over 40". Don't trust vanity sizing.

This is super true in my experience. My waist is usually about 40" and the pair of 42" waist I have on are at least 6" to much waist for me.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Baller Witness Bro posted:

10? That's nuts. Who makes them?

They all do it, to some degree.

http://www.ties.com/blog/pants-size-comparison

The particular pants in question are from Ragtag, a local brand.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Wait til you guys learn about women's clothing.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

Fucknag posted:

Working at target a big part of the job was restocking all the return items or shopbacks as they are called. Usually girls sorted back the clothes (softlines) and guys did all the hardline poo poo which was always a huge pain in the rear end as we couldnt go home till all the carts full of poo poo was put back on the shelves. Over Christmas they would have something like 60 carts of full of returned poo poo that needed to be restocked by morning. One time they were so overrun they drafted me into the soft lines and holy gently caress i was so confused they fired me after like 20 min of loving up the sizes and I went back to cramming boxes of crayons and batteries into the display microwaves and throwing poo poo behind tall furniture boxes.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Fucknag posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vanity_sizing

quote:

Vanity sizing, also known as size inflation refers to the phenomenon of ready-to-wear clothing of the same nominal size becoming bigger in physical size over time.[1][2][3] This has been documented primarily in the United States and the United Kingdom. Vanity sizing tends to occur where clothing sizes are not standardized, such as the U.S. market.[4][verification needed] In the United States, although clothing size standards exist (i.e., ASTM), most companies do not use them any longer.[1]

Size inconsistency has existed since at least 1937. In Sears's 1937 catalog, a size 14 dress had a bust size of 32 inches (81 cm). In 1967, the same bust size was a size 8. In 2011, it was a size 0.[5] Some argue that vanity sizing is designed to satisfy wearers' wishes to appear thin and feel better about themselves.[1][3] Designer Nicole Miller introduced size 0 because of its strong California presence and to satisfy the request of many Asian customers. It introduced subzero sizes for naturally petite women.[1] However, the increasing size of clothing with the same nominal size caused Nicole Miller to introduce size 0, 00, or subzero sizes.[1]

In 2003, a study that measured over 1,000 pairs of women's pants found that pants from more expensive brands tended to be smaller than those from cheaper brands with the same nominal size

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
So, I was reading this short thread on The Samba about a westy some guy bought then drove for 500 miles or so. He then buys a dual carb kit, but a shop installing them can't seem to get two cylinders to run.

The mechanic goes to install a new head:

The best part when he goes to collect the bus and they give him the spark plugs that were installed previously:

Queen_Combat fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Mar 16, 2015

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007
hello im back in ai buy me avatars plz :-*

Fucknag posted:

It's a magic system based on the whims of whoever designed the clothing. Bra sizes make total sense, but the rest of women's clothing is a shitshow. I return at least half of the clothing I buy online.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I really don't understand how such a stupid system continues. Would women not want to just be able to say "My chest is this big, my legs are this long, and I have a waist of this circumference inbetween"?

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Spintires owners: Are the menus really hosed up looking for you guys, or is it just me? It looks like they're all super concave and 3D-ish on my monitor. Like, I can't properly explain it, except to say they look warped and pinched. I checked the options menu, didn't see any setting to enable / disable any sort of 3D. Something to do with the new patch maybe?

e: According to the changelog from the new patch, yup, they tried to make it 3D and it stretches with your resolution. gently caress's sake. It looks dumb as hell.

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007
hello im back in ai buy me avatars plz :-*

InitialDave posted:

I really don't understand how such a stupid system continues. Would women not want to just be able to say "My chest is this big, my legs are this long, and I have a waist of this circumference inbetween"?

There's so much fluctuation in women's body types, and because our fashion is designed by and large by tyrannical overlords for 6' waifs and is scaled to fit the rest of us.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
There's actually an online service in the works which will let you punch in your body type and then how well various pieces fit you, probably with pictures too. The idea is that I'd be able to find all the other fat-thighed long-limbed pot-bellied 6'1" guys on this planet and share notes with them. Awesome in theory, I hope they pull it off. I believe the online retailers wanted it to succeed too, as they have something like a 30% return rate on most items, which must cost a fortune (but keep FedEx in business.)

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
My completwly weird body proportions drive me nuts.
I am 6'4". My inseam is 30 (actually, probably 29). Thanks to big and tall, pants are pretty easy.
However, shirts. gently caress, I need tall shirts and no one makes them. So I'm stuck between dress shirts (sleeve lengths help), a few polo shirt makers, plain t-shirts, ugly tshirts, and buyong everything one size up, which makes me look even fatter.

Things like jackets and sweatshirts are impossible.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

leica posted:

Aaaaand at midnight I just turned 44 years old. Getting old sucks, all you young fuckers enjoy your relatively healthy bodies while they last :corsair:

I turned 45 6 months ago. Nyah!

Cat Terrist posted:

Happy birthday and even approaching 46, I'm in the best fitness of my life. Approaching 50 doesnt mean anyone needs to slow down too much :D

I'm certainly not fit (need to lose, oh, about 85 lbs) but I'm not sick, crippled, or injured, so there's that. Actually, I feel pretty decent most of the time. I'm creaky, but not broken. My only problem is that I enjoy food way too much, and don't exercise enough. Trying to fix the second item, not sure what to do about the first. Negative reinforcement?

On PC janitoring my own poo poo? I'm with you guys. I hate it when my wife says something's wrong with her PC. I mostly use my Mac laptop from work, but my primary machine at home is a Mac Pro quad-core (not even remotely the new one) that usually spends most of it's time booted into Win 7, because, games.

Fucknag posted:

I have lost my endurance for car work though, just spent 8 hours putting struts, sway bar links and fresh brake fluid on/in the Mazda. I am sore all over.

No poo poo, right? I mean, I get that I'm 45 now, but should I really feel like I've run a marathon underwater when I spend a few hours at the junkyard?

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

goatse guy posted:

There's so much fluctuation in women's body types, and because our fashion is designed by and large by tyrannical overlords for 6' waifs and is scaled to fit the rest of us.

Ahahahahahaha if you think anyone makes clothing that fits 6' women properly. My wife is 6'1" and nothing ever fits right. She's got several dresses that she basically wears as t-shirts.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

bolind posted:

There's actually an online service in the works which will let you punch in your body type and then how well various pieces fit you, probably with pictures too. The idea is that I'd be able to find all the other fat-thighed long-limbed pot-bellied 6'1" guys on this planet and share notes with them. Awesome in theory, I hope they pull it off. I believe the online retailers wanted it to succeed too, as they have something like a 30% return rate on most items, which must cost a fortune (but keep FedEx in business.)

I would pay good money for clothes that actually fit my frame. I'm 5'10", big shoulders/chest (somewhere around 46-48"), big neck (18-19"), but 34" waist. And 30-31" inseam. So shirts that fit me in the shoulders and chest balloon out like I'm wearing a sheet so anything remotely nice I have the sides taken in. And pants? Forget about it. My freakish large thunder thighs and calves make it hard to find pants. When I drop weight down to about 200-210, I'm even harder to fit. I am about 225 lbs right now and need to drop 20-30 lbs. 185-195 lbs is about ideal for my frame. Size 11 shoe. Suits? Forget about it. Have to be custom fit.

I'm built like damned gorilla but without the long arms.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Triangle tits and an annoying sex voice?

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!
I don't understand any of this clothes sizing stuff, so i just look like poo poo all the time! :v:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

KozmoNaut posted:

32.5" For the 'waist' of my jeans where it sits on my hips and my actual waist.

I still need to go to the gym. :v:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Ugh. Just about had a road rage incident in a loving parking lot. Why is it when a bad driver fucks up and knows they hosed up, they threaten to kick your rear end? Shouldn't we, the collective that can obey stop signs get together and beat their rear end?

Sir Pukesalot
Nov 3, 2012

Rhyno posted:

Ugh. Just about had a road rage incident in a loving parking lot.

Somehow reminded me a bit about a hit and run my granddad had long time ago that he told me about. He got hit in supermarket, follows him until he could get his numberplate, then drives to the police with it, gets told it is a company car, and the cop tells him hit'n'run-dudes boss' number. Granddad then calls the boss and he's like "gently caress HIM! FUCKER DID IT AGAIN! HE'S GETTING FIRED TOMORROW! Thanks for telling me, Sir. Here's my insurance information..." Granddad saw the same car later, but with a different driver..

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Sir Pukesalot posted:

Somehow reminded me a bit about a hit and run my granddad had long time ago that he told me about. He got hit in supermarket, follows him until he could get his numberplate, then drives to the police with it, gets told it is a company car, and the cop tells him hit'n'run-dudes boss' number. Granddad then calls the boss and he's like "gently caress HIM! FUCKER DID IT AGAIN! HE'S GETTING FIRED TOMORROW! Thanks for telling me, Sir. Here's my insurance information..." Granddad saw the same car later, but with a different driver..

Thankfully no contact was made but this dude just lost his mind after I honked and yelled "STOP SIGN!" He backed up and started jawing at me about kicking my rear end. I half expected him to get out of his car. This is also why I don't own a gun because after a decade working security I am never getting in a fight again and a physical threat would definitely motivate me to shoot someone.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Rhyno posted:

Ugh. Just about had a road rage incident in a loving parking lot. Why is it when a bad driver fucks up and knows they hosed up, they threaten to kick your rear end? Shouldn't we, the collective that can obey stop signs get together and beat their rear end?

This with round abouts. They should be banned in the US because 90% of drivers don't loving understand them.

MERGE WHILE MOVING MORONS, THERES NO loving STOP SIGN.

Sir Pukesalot
Nov 3, 2012

Rhyno posted:

Thankfully no contact was made but this dude just lost his mind after I honked and yelled "STOP SIGN!" He backed up and started jawing at me about kicking my rear end. I half expected him to get out of his car. This is also why I don't own a gun because after a decade working security I am never getting in a fight again and a physical threat would definitely motivate me to shoot someone.

I understand why you wouldn't want a gun, then!

I actually find amusing when people are drunk and like that.. Remember standing in a wardrobe at a private party(with ~500 guests) and getting a threat about a (yelling)dude who wanted to beat me to death(after the party) because wardrobe cost the equivalent of $2 instead of being free.. while one of his friends was holding him back and another was waiving double the needed amount of money and begging him to take it.. While he was somewhat desperately waiving his arms at (then 13 years old) me. He was so drunk he would have a hard time hitting house with a rock at a distance of 1 meter.. it was hard not to burst out in laughter

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Sir Pukesalot posted:

I understand why you wouldn't want a gun, then!

I don't trust myself to not just pull and shoot. I don't want to go to jail for 50 years because some rear end in a top hat runs a stop sign.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Have any drifters fitted those sidewinder forklift tyres? I think that'd be funny.

Sir Pukesalot
Nov 3, 2012

Rhyno posted:

I don't trust myself to not just pull and shoot. I don't want to go to jail for 50 years because some rear end in a top hat runs a stop sign.

Sounds like a good idea to me, then! And it also seems like a bad time for you to go to jail for 50 years..

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Stay the gently caress out of GiP

Androies posted:

So I woke up today with a great message on my phone. Apparently this guy I went to Language school and AIT with killed somebody while on weekend pass.

Dude was always kind of odd, actually pretty damned disturbed. He got caught drinking underage and legit got sent to a rehab facility during language school. If you think that's enough to make him lose his clearance or at least his job since he wasn't out of AIT, think again. He had already graduated with a +2/3 and had a 300 pt score so the Army still wanted him.

Some months after that, he got caught drinking underage again at a drinking establishment on post. The cops came and he threatened to kill himself with a knife. He was eventually tazed and put in a sleeper hold. If you think that's enough to make him lose his clearance or at least his job since he wasn't out of AIT, think again! Army really needs them decent Persian speakers who can run fast apparently cause he still went to AIT with me.

(his knife collection)
This dude was obsessed with knives. Like he always had at least 3 on him at all times. During room inspections at language school they found his collection and confiscated them, but nothing was said after that.
Which brings me to this weekend:

Homeboy apparently fell in love with a 14 year old girl. Her mom didn't like the idea of her 14 year old daughter being the slam piece for a 20 year old Neo wanna-be so tried to brake them up. His response was to stab her in the neck multiple times, then drive with said 14 year old slam piece to a site to burn the body and bury it and then half-heartedly push the murder vehicle into a pond before walking back to the girl's house to have wild murderer sex before getting caught by the police. All I'm saying is that I'm glad I'm not stationed at Fort Meade right now cause holy poo poo will there be safety briefs.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Cakefool posted:

Have any drifters fitted those sidewinder forklift tyres? I think that'd be funny.

In addition, while I know the answer ($$$), how come the drifters and hellaflush crowd haven' started fitting motorcycle tyres to their abominations? It would take car of the camber wear problem to an extent.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I just applied for the University Technological Services internship on the first day that they posted the Want Ad, and since I'm a senior my friend who works there already told me I'll probably be a shoe in. I dunno why but I'm super nervous about it just because it's finally a job that involves everything that I've been studying so far.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

McTinkerson posted:

In addition, while I know the answer ($$$), how come the drifters and hellaflush crowd haven' started fitting motorcycle tyres to their abominations? It would take car of the camber wear problem to an extent.

I've wondered this myself.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Ok then

BrokenKnucklez posted:

This with round abouts. They should be banned in the US because 90% of drivers don't loving understand them.

MERGE WHILE MOVING MORONS, THERES NO loving STOP SIGN.
I had to honk at a woman who totally stopped in the middle of a roundabout the other day. She looked at me like I was nuts when I went around. THERES NO loving STOP SIGN. DON'T STOP, LADY.
Right lane must exit, left lane may exit. RIGHT LANE DON'T STOP ON THE WAY IN.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

jammyozzy posted:

Just started my new job this morning, I love this place already. :yotj:

Sup awesome first day at new job buddy guy friend person. :hfive:

If today was anything to go by, I'm going to really enjoy working at this place. :>

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Tide posted:

I would pay good money for clothes that actually fit my frame. I'm 5'10", big shoulders/chest (somewhere around 46-48"), big neck (18-19"), but 34" waist. And 30-31" inseam. So shirts that fit me in the shoulders and chest balloon out like I'm wearing a sheet so anything remotely nice I have the sides taken in. And pants? Forget about it. My freakish large thunder thighs and calves make it hard to find pants. When I drop weight down to about 200-210, I'm even harder to fit. I am about 225 lbs right now and need to drop 20-30 lbs. 185-195 lbs is about ideal for my frame. Size 11 shoe. Suits? Forget about it. Have to be custom fit.

I'm built like damned gorilla but without the long arms.

Try size 14s. Makes choosing shoes easy (well, when I wore anything but steeltoes) - there are 3 things available in this size... that one's ugly as hell, those are uncomfortable. Guess it'll be these ones!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Geirskogul posted:

Stay the gently caress out of GiP

DoD.txt

The poo poo I've seen in the Air Force. I can't go into GiP anymore, it was too full of the Molon Labe crowd and the Tea Party apologists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

kastein posted:

Try size 14s. Makes choosing shoes easy (well, when I wore anything but steeltoes) - there are 3 things available in this size... that one's ugly as hell, those are uncomfortable. Guess it'll be these ones!

Isn't that a children's size? I seem to remember wearing Size 14's when I was younger

• Locked thread