Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Yeah PTSD and horribly loving delayed health care will definitely stay with you for the rest of your life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Irish Joe posted:

As for what I said, at no point in history were soldiers (et, al) given a better deal than they are today

I can think of numerous times of peace. You see, it's possible for our leaders to avoid starting poo poo across the globe and keep what's called a military reserve. I would really like to see this in my lifetime, but as long as our leaders are loving idiots, I support programs to slightly unfuck the lives the military-industrial complex destroys.

Lurk more, and read more.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?
stop_taking_irish_joe_seriously.gif

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

I can think of numerous times of peace. You see, it's possible for our leaders to avoid starting poo poo across the globe and keep what's called a military reserve. I would really like to see this in my lifetime, but as long as our leaders are loving idiots, I support programs to slightly unfuck the lives the military-industrial complex destroys.

So basically what you're saying is that you would
1) end war, or
2) throw money at broken programs and hope they miraculous fix themselves.

:lol: No wonder no one takes you seriously.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Irish Joe posted:

So basically what you're saying is that you would
1) end war, or
2) throw money at broken programs and hope they miraculous fix themselves.

:lol: No wonder no one takes you seriously.

This is a beautiful post.

Wait, no, it's complete loving poo poo. I misinterpreted you almost as badly as you deliberately misinterpreted Pryoxene. :allears:

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
1) Place Joe on Ignore.
2) Notice that life is just a little bit better.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

1) Place Joe on Ignore.
For those not 'in the know', the ignore feature is on a user's profile page.

I didn't find it for a long time and it prevented me from being able to follow Humbug's advice. Eventually I did click on it, and my life was thusly improved.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Athletes at the center of a multi-billion dollar operation should be paid - A Very Controversial Opinion.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

At some point, this show has moved into the niche formerly occupied by 60 Minutes, only with jokes and profanity.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Madurai posted:

At some point, this show has moved into the niche formerly occupied by 60 Minutes, only with jokes and profanity.

It's kinda misnamed now, to be honest.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer
The absolute worst part of that African-American studies course is that UNC was initially built by actual, loving slaves. Like there's literally a monument in one of the quads to the slaves that built the buildings that surround it.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

hemophilia posted:

Athletes at the center of a multi-billion dollar operation should be paid - A Very Controversial Opinion.

Why does it have to be controversial?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
The current wiki page for dabo swinney

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

pentyne posted:

The current wiki page for dabo swinney

:lol:

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
I'm not a ladder idiot

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Exclamation Marx posted:

I'm not a ladder idiot

He really is though, dewalt ladders are just rebrands of louisville ladders who's quality has been in decline since they got bought out by grupo cuprum and the production moved to mexico.

Really lost a bit of credibility there. I don't know if i can trust his opinions on other stuff now. Maybe cigarettes are actually good for you.

Viginti
Feb 1, 2015
How is 'Dabo' a thing?

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

I'm extremely surprised he didn't bring up the UK (not Ireland) passing plain packaging laws this week as well.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Katana Gomai posted:

I'm extremely surprised he didn't bring up the UK (not Ireland) passing plain packaging laws this week as well.

Shoulda had Jeff the diseased lung accidentally admit that smoking killed a bunch of people into a hot mic.

IRQ fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Mar 16, 2015

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

1) Place Joe on Ignore.

I did this ages ago for dumb posts in some other thread I can't remember now and since Awful.app doesn't even show the post skeleton I get confused when people start yelling until I see someone actually quote him.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

rapeface posted:

I did this ages ago for dumb posts in some other thread I can't remember now and since Awful.app doesn't even show the post skeleton I get confused when people start yelling until I see someone actually quote him.

even on ignore he's still trolling you

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I wonder if this'll ruffle the feathers of the sports media, because a lot of them seem to think the NCAA's position is the best way to go (although there are some notable dissenters).

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Mar 16, 2015

spronk
Feb 5, 2011

Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.
Man i don't follow sports much at all and have heard about the NCAA stuff in the past but jesus that is some hosed up poo poo there. How do hardcore college sports fans even justify what seems to be indentured servitude. The 2% conversion rate from college to pro is just insane.

I wonder if the producers/writers of the Nightly Show watch LWT and are super depressed at how bad their show is in comparison. I honestly didn't think I'd like Oliver's show especially at the beginning, but its easily grown to be the #1 show I want to watch every week.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
I kind of want to play that incredibly depressing game.

I never got into the whole March Madness thing, but goddamn were most of my friends in high school into it. Now that I'm older and I've heard about the dark side of the NCAA, when they want to talk about their brackets, it's sad as well as boring.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

spronk posted:

How do hardcore college sports fans even justify what seems to be indentured servitude.

Here's some answers from my workplace:

"I don't know about any of that."

"Oh I'd have loved to have had a colledge education payed for while I played basketball."

"If it's so hard, they should quit."

"Oh loving waaaaaaaah."

"Why in the hell are you so talkative today?"

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

Viginti posted:

How is 'Dabo' a thing?

He's an orc?

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Or a Ferengi.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
I'm kind of spiteful, so if I was King of America, I'd go one way or the other to the extreme. You want more money in the college leagues? Fine, gently caress you, everyone's a paid athlete, and what's more, I'm stripping out the requirement that they be students at all.

Alternately, no pay for anyone. You want actual amateur sports? No paid college sports coaches, no sports scholarships, every sport organized and run by students.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

hemophilia posted:

Pretty much the whole show is "This isn't a controversial opinion" why aren't we doing anything about it.

Net Neutrality wasn't a controversial opinion but no on cared. Sometimes you have to hit people over the head with poo poo before they do.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The show hasn't really been going into issues that most people are unaware of lately. This one's been all over the news already. I guess I didn't know how all the extra profits from college sports were embezzled purposefully wasted in order to maintain the college's nonprofit status, making the whole loving billion dollar industry pointless since it's not even providing for the rest of the college.

Of course, if you want to get really nasty, look at football instead of basketball, where the athletes are also being exploited and given a substandard education, but they are also sustaining long-term brain damage.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

sbaldrick posted:

Pretty much the whole show is "This isn't a controversial opinion" why aren't we doing anything about it.

Two reasons:
1) the opinions actually are controversial despite Oliver's framing of the issue
2) even when there is majority support for a solution, there is still debate over which solution is the best one.

For example, everybody agrees social security is a unsustainable mess. Few people, however, agree on what should be done to fix it (privatize it, raise the age limit, tax durrrr rich, etc, etc).

Another example, and one closer to your goony hearts, everybody likes pizza, but few can agree on what the best kind of pizza is.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Just going to do a preemptive

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

IRQ posted:

Just going to do a preemptive

This but with Irish Joe.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Its funny how an innocuous statement like "reasonable people can have a difference of opinion" triggers such an unreasonable, knee-jerk reaction in people.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Irish Joe posted:

Two reasons:
1) the opinions actually are controversial despite Oliver's framing of the issue
2) even when there is majority support for a solution, there is still debate over which solution is the best one.

For example, everybody agrees social security is a unsustainable mess. Few people, however, agree on what should be done to fix it (privatize it, raise the age limit, tax durrrr rich, etc, etc).

Another example, and one closer to your goony hearts, everybody likes pizza, but few can agree on what the best kind of pizza is.

I'd actually rather use the power of the state to rob all of your money to pay for decrepit baby boomers and ban your favorite kind of pizza.

Otto von Ruthless
Oct 1, 2014

ultramiraculous posted:

The absolute worst part of that African-American studies course is that UNC was initially built by actual, loving slaves. Like there's literally a monument in one of the quads to the slaves that built the buildings that surround it.

What I really want to know is who is teaching these classes? Presumably there are people with something resembling actual scholarly credentials involved here, department heads approving adding these courses to the curriculum, etc.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Otto von Ruthless posted:

What I really want to know is who is teaching these classes? Presumably there are people with something resembling actual scholarly credentials involved here, department heads approving adding these courses to the curriculum, etc.

It's seems you're suffering from the misconception that the average university, or professor for that matter, gives a flying poo poo about the integrity of the academical field.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

The NCAA being godawful isn't exactly news compared to the other main stories on this show, plus John Oliver neglected to mention an important development that isn't doom and gloom. Last year, Northwestern University's football program voted to unionize so that they could be fairly compensated. They ended up approving unionization and the regional National Labor Relations Board ruled that Wildcat players are university employees, much to the NCAA's chagrin. And by the way, how do you mention angry coaches who attack players and not mention Bobby Knight?

All the same, no amount of negative press has forced the NCAA to change course and the NCAA Tournament field was revealed last night, so it's not like this was an unnecessary or thematically inappropriate segment. P.S. gently caress John Calipari

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Mar 16, 2015

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Wait so Bernie Goldberg actually still does reporting beyond complaining how the liberal media is obsessed with race?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

Irish Joe posted:

Its funny how an innocuous statement like "reasonable people can have a difference of opinion" triggers such an unreasonable, knee-jerk reaction in people.

yea naw you're a oval office

• Locked thread