Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Transistor Rhythm posted:

It's really, really, really funny. Like laugh-out-loud on public transportation against your hard ingrained urban stonefaced train mode funny.

also funny: image of goon with "hard ingrained urban stoneface" on public transit loudly laughing while holding a copy of Infinite Jest

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

Earwicker posted:

also funny: image of goon with "hard ingrained urban stoneface" on public transit loudly laughing while holding a copy of Infinite Jest

You can ride with me any time, but I use a kindle these days.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

There's been maybe one funny bit in the first quarter. I agree with the cool people who say it's bloated, it reads like someone tried to write GRavity's Rainbow without understanding why Gravity's Rainbow is good. Also I'm reading it on Kindle and 140 people highlighted that bit that was like "you will become way less concerned with what people think of you when you realise how little they do" and I'm embarrassed that that line made it into a supposedly high brow novel.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

And tbh, I love Vonnegut, but he isn't as funny as he thinks he is. I've only laughed at one of his jokes (when in Slaughterhouse-Five the champagne loses carbonation and he says "So it goes.") in any of the works I've read of him. Still, he's a fantastic writer

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Vonnegut is sort of like Salinger in that I think he's best read when you're relatively young.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Vonnegut is sort of like Salinger in that I think he's best read when you're relatively young.

I don't read Salinger for his themes, I read it for the prose

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

CestMoi posted:

Also I'm reading it on Kindle and 140 people highlighted that bit that was like "you will become way less concerned with what people think of you when you realise how little they do" and I'm embarrassed that that line made it into a supposedly high brow novel.

One of the themes of the novel is the power of belief in cliche

Antwan3K
Mar 8, 2013

This 100% I read most of his books when I was like 14-16 and they were something amazing to me. I'm actually afraid to read one of his that I haven't, thinking I won't like it nearly as much as back then

Nitevision
Oct 5, 2004

Your Friendly FYAD Helper
Ask Me For FYAD Help
Another Reason To Talk To Me Is To Hangout

CestMoi posted:

There's been maybe one funny bit in the first quarter. I agree with the cool people who say it's bloated, it reads like someone tried to write GRavity's Rainbow without understanding why Gravity's Rainbow is good. Also I'm reading it on Kindle and 140 people highlighted that bit that was like "you will become way less concerned with what people think of you when you realise how little they do" and I'm embarrassed that that line made it into a supposedly high brow novel.

I'm not finished with it either, but it definitely feels like Wallace trying to write Wallace's Gravity's Rainbow. Not the least because of the direct homages (the Brocken spectre and the obsession with cinematic male gaze/females on-screen come to mind first, I noticed more while reading that I can't think of now). It's also nowhere near as funny as Gravity's Rainbow. That said, I really like the Gately sections. Marathe/Steeply just drag like crazy and are a vehicle for cultural analysis instead of any narrative and the sections go on forever. And I'm someone who loves most of Wallace's short- and non-fiction and am generous to his style, I can't imagine trying to get through IJ if you weren't already won over by him elsewhere.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Antwan3K posted:

This 100% I read most of his books when I was like 14-16 and they were something amazing to me. I'm actually afraid to read one of his that I haven't, thinking I won't like it nearly as much as back then

I never read Vonnegut until my mid-20s and it was still great

I think what appeals to young readers about Vonnegut is different though, I can imagine its a much different experience reading it when you're a teen

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
Pretend I transcribed every time DFW tried to write "in dialect" in Infinite Jest.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Dave Eggers posted:

We’re interested in epic writerly ambition. We’re fascinated with what can be made by a person with enough time and focus and caffeine and, in Wallace’s case, chewing tobacco. If we are drawn to Infinite Jest, we’re also drawn to the Magnetic Fields’ 69 Songs, for which Stephin Merritt wrote that many songs, all of them about love, in about two years. And we’re drawn to the 10,000 paintings of folk artist Howard Finster. Or the work of Sufjan Stevens, who is on a mission to create an album about each state in the union. He’s currently at State No 2, but if he finishes that, it will approach what Wallace did with the book in your hands.

lmao

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Tree Goat posted:

Pretend I transcribed every time DFW tried to write "in dialect" in Infinite Jest.

Pretend I pasted DFW's astonishingly stupid essay on language politics here

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
Also every time he writes a section or digression about some technical matter in that condescending "aww shucks, don't worry about all of the gory details, but here's how it is" tone and yet manages to get key details astoundingly wrong.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Tree Goat posted:

Oh god this is so bad

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Mel Mudkiper posted:

One of the themes of the novel is the power of belief in cliche

That doesn't make it not a stupid line to put in your novel.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I've only read far enough into Infinite Jest to regret my Kindle purchase, so, like, two or three chapters?

On the other hand his "Supposedly Fun Thing" essay on pleasure cruises is brilliant.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

I've read E Unibus Plurum and a thing he wrote about David Lynch and they seemed pretty good! My problem is that E Unibus Plurum shows that he's clearly concerned with this idea of everything being completely consumed by irony + how we progress beyond postmodernism and then he went and wrote 1000 pages of the worst things about post modernism with no new ideas.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

But infinite jest isn't postmodern. At the core, it's the opposite..It's about being a real, living, feeling individual

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

blue squares posted:

But infinite jest isn't postmodern. At the core, it's the opposite..It's about being a real, living, feeling individual

what the gently caress does this mean

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

blue squares posted:

but there's no such thing?

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Mel Mudkiper posted:

what the gently caress does this mean

It means being sincere and self reflective. Which postmodern lit says is impossible. Postmodernism says we're all just cogs in the machine and lack true agency

blue squares fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Mar 17, 2015

Jeep
Feb 20, 2013

blue squares posted:

It means being sincere and self reflective. Which postmodern lit says is impossible. Postmodernism says we're all just cogs in the machine and lack true agency

Self-reflexivity is a distinctly postmodern trait and also sincerity and lack of agency are not mutual exclusive concepts. :colbert:

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Postmodernism doesn't deny agency, it denies the idea that you really know what you're doing at any given time, or that you ever actually act in your own best interests. You have reasons for acting but the reasons you think are your reasons for acting are wholly independent of your actual reasons for acting. Infinite Jest absolutely seems to treat its characters as victims of their own agency.

Nitevision
Oct 5, 2004

Your Friendly FYAD Helper
Ask Me For FYAD Help
Another Reason To Talk To Me Is To Hangout

blue squares posted:

:chanpop:

blue squares posted:

Go read The Things They Carried, no need to report back

Nitevision fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Mar 17, 2015

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

ALso if you're writing sincere characters because you want to break free of irony, that in itself is really ironic.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

blue squares posted:

Infinite Jest is supposed to be the book that kicked off post-postmodernism, the literary epoch we live in

It is sometimes called "the new sincerity" and it is a big deal in Russian poetry

Smoking Crow fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Mar 17, 2015

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

quote:

Or the work of Sufjan Stevens, who is on a mission to create an album about each state in the union. He’s currently at State No 2, but if he finishes that, it will approach what Wallace did with the book in your hands.
Holy poo poo some idiot didn't get that it was a joke.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Antwan3K posted:

I read some of his books in high school and had a similar opinion, but was very, very impressed with Welcome to the Monkey House when I read it post-college. It honestly raised my appreciation for him as a writer quite a bit since it proved he could write good stories without Tralfamadorians or other super goofy stuff.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I don't think most of the authors we now think of as postmodern actually believed in or wanted to promote the kind of caricature of postmodernism that most of us now associate with it.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Except John Barth

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I don't think post-modernism was ever really meant to be a conscious style per se but was rather a critical consensus of the themes in that generation.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

post-modern work is simply any work created or observed after the defeat of empiricism and objectivity, it has nothing to do with the author's intentions. we are still in the period and will remain in it until the term is officially concluded by the defeat of linear time

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

Omg

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

69 Love Songs is good.

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

Say what you will about Infinite Jest, but Brief Interviews With Hideous Men contains some seriously excellent short stories. Brief Interview #20, one of the last stories in the book, is the highlight.

Also, the fact that Eggers latches on to Magnetic Fields and Sufjan Stevens as the pinnacle of grand musical achievement in the 21st century is really bloody sad. Why not go write for Pitchfork or something.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Can someone explain the appeal of The Great Gatsby to me? For a book with so much praise piled on it, it seemed pretty basic, both as a story and as a critical view on the American Dream. Reading it just after 100 Years of Solitude (and through a somewhat high fever) probably didn't help.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Fat Samurai posted:

Can someone explain the appeal of The Great Gatsby to me? For a book with so much praise piled on it, it seemed pretty basic, both as a story and as a critical view on the American Dream. Reading it just after 100 Years of Solitude (and through a somewhat high fever) probably didn't help.

Honestly I always thought Fitzgerald was a really bad writer and his fascination with the rich was tedious and without value

Come at me nerds

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Honestly I always thought Fitzgerald was a really bad writer and his fascination with the rich was tedious and without value

Come at me nerds

Like it or not Great Gatsby was the defining literary work of its era. America is fascinated with the rich, then and now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Like it or not Great Gatsby was the defining literary work of its era. America is fascinated with the rich, then and now.

Well yeah it was the defining book of its era but it was a lovely vapid era