Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
Is the contemptor dreadnought worth anything? Im thinking of taking the double kheres one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

Post 9-11 User posted:

Pierre those are really cool. As much as I dislike the micropayments GW has been releasing, I did get some of the psychic power cards for Eldar since keeping track of that stuff is a pain.

I think I may have enough of a grasp on the 7th edition rules to bungle through a game, is 500 points big enough? I want to take an assortment of dumb stuff to practice the rules, I must take a psyker to get accustomed to that jazz. Your warp charges replenish at the beginning of each player turn, not game turn right? I figured that there'd be a cat and mouse game with using warp charge to blow people up or saving it to try and not be blown up.

You roll for Warp Charges at the beginning of your own Psychic Phase, and get D6+(Your Total Mastery Levels). Your opponent also gets the same number (The same D6 result+(Their Total ML)) for denial purposes. They all flush away from both sides at the end of the Psychic Phase.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

DJ Dizzy posted:

Is the contemptor dreadnought worth anything? Im thinking of taking the double kheres one.

What, worth taking? 200 points for 12 S6 rending AV13 5++ with option to skyfire interceptor? Uh, yeah.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

DJ Dizzy posted:

It's kinda pricey, but it'll chew up flyers like no one's business.

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.
So I played a game of 40k yesterday, using my Wyverns for the first time. Guys, Wyverns loving rule. They took out a 5-man jetbike squad and a farseer on turn one. Then, on turn two, they took out a 9-man fire dragon squad and their Archon buddy. At that point my opponent had had enough and turnt out 5 wraithguard to take them out (which they did, easily). But that left the wraithguard, and a nearby wraithknight, open to a charge from my 30-man blob with a commissar, which tied up both units for the rest of the game!

Wyverns!

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
Got home a little early and had the time to do up the Nid cards in Photoshop and edit some egregious mistakes I didn't see the first time.

Should be hosted in large-file PDFs for print quality soon, along with a the editable .xlsx template for use with your own inferior faction. ;)

spacegoat
Dec 23, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nap Ghost
You're a good ham, Pierre.

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.

PierreTheMime posted:

Got home a little early and had the time to do up the Nid cards in Photoshop and edit some egregious mistakes I didn't see the first time.

Should be hosted in large-file PDFs for print quality soon, along with a the editable .xlsx template for use with your own inferior faction. ;)

Now I want to make Vehicle versions of these for my Guard.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?
Anyone know a site that lists 40K tournaments?

Also, if anyone was an Ultramarines player or knows one I'd be greatly interested in buying some table top standard drop pods. We had a discussion pages back about competitive drop pod lists using Blood Angels allies, and I am thinking that is what I want to build towards in time. The big downside is painting two took me long enough, and while I will likely start a third these things are simply unfun to paint and build, and I am looking for a shortcut. A price somewhere between new off the shelf price and the incredible $130 dollars the studios are charging would be nice.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord
Arg, just realized I completely forgot the Neurothrope. I'll get an edit made later tonight.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

PierreTheMime posted:

Arg, just realized I completely forgot the Neurothrope. I'll get an edit made later tonight.

I'm actually surprised you bothered with the maleceptor. You could have left that one off and I don't think anyone would have cared. :v:

high six
Feb 6, 2010
Didn't see it mentioned here, but if it was already, sorry. GW is accepting new freelance writers. Since there are some good writers here (Especially the guy who wrote those Doc Eldar stories) figured there might be an interest: http://jobs.games-workshop.com/2015/03/06/freelance-authors/

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

PierreTheMime posted:

You also missed non-flying Tyrant.

Who am I kidding, no-one takes those!

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

Zark the Damned posted:

You also missed non-flying Tyrant.

Who am I kidding, no-one takes those!

Your brain may have excluded it for that reason. It's the second unit in the cards.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Bavius posted:

Is there a new painting mega thread? Just saw that PaintVagrant shut down the other one.

E: Nevermind, I'm blind.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3705692

Yes, sorry I didn't announce it or anything but the new thread is up and running - everyone come on down and share your painted stuff and tips!

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

PierreTheMime posted:

Your brain may have excluded it for that reason. It's the second unit in the cards.

bleh, no idea how i missed that first time. It's like I went straight from swarmy to flyrant somehow.

JackMack
Nov 3, 2007

Uroboros posted:

Anyone know a site that lists 40K tournaments

Try http://wargames.cerebros.net

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.

DJ Dizzy posted:

The regular Contemptor is quite mediocre, but the Mortis version (the one with two sets of guns) is very strong. The Kheres Assault Cannon, Autocannon, and Lascannon variants are all very useful.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Can anyone help me identify these bears?

Revitalizing my Valhallans lately has made me want to do some bear cavalry.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
They look like they are brown grizzly bears... Go to Canada or North America, they are quite prevalent there.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

AbusePuppy posted:

The regular Contemptor is quite mediocre, but the Mortis version (the one with two sets of guns) is very strong. The Kheres Assault Cannon, Autocannon, and Lascannon variants are all very useful.

What do you think about the new dodo dread, AbusePuppy? Lots of love for it in the mainstream 30k community. It has an edge against fliers, but once you throw that missile launcher onto it costs a boat load of points. Same with the +1 invuln generator (albiet a dread with a 4++ is pretty cool)

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

SRM posted:

I wanna say Reaper, since you can see the atypical base extender on the far left one's base, but I'm not 100% sure. When I searched 'bear' on their site I mostly got buff shirtless dudes and dwarves :kimchi:

You could always go for the ramshackle ones though, if that suits your fancy. You'd probably have to replace the torsos to make them Valhallan, but hell, that's easy enough.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

PierreTheMime posted:

I would recommend putting text in its own boxes with a lighter background rather than directly on the darkish brown. It's always really tempting to make these things really pretty but readability is key.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?

Thanks, looks like one in Schaumburg, which is about 4 hours away, a little late for that. I'd love to do the one in D.C. you're all talking about, but I feel I'd be going alone. Not to mention I've yet to really cut my teeth on the game. Trying to get as much play time as I can with the nearest gamestore being a full hour away.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Thirsty Dog posted:

I would recommend putting text in its own boxes with a lighter background rather than directly on the darkish brown. It's always really tempting to make these things really pretty but readability is key.

I don't know. They're pretty readable as is but sure, maybe a lighter background would help things a little bit for those having difficulties.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

PierreTheMime posted:

I will totally be stealing these!
Though I think zoanthropes can be taken in units up to 6 now, so it might be worth it to put another row of wounds in.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

SRM posted:

Dang, those are cool. It's a Russian company called Venexia, I don't know if they're still available.

BuffaloChicken
May 18, 2008

SRM posted:

I tried looking, but couldn't turn anything up. I hope you find them - love those models, and I'm sure your take on the conversion would be great!

EDIT: This one looks nice, but I don't see the manufacturer listed. Perhaps you could get in touch with one of the people who runs the website?

http://www.leadlegion.com/2013_04_01_archive.html

BuffaloChicken fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Mar 17, 2015

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

Sivores posted:

Has anyone played with a tyrant's legion list? I'm not sure what they're particularly strong at or whats a good list for them, but I do enjoy the idea of space marines taking cover behind a bunch of conscripts and or throwing them in the way of bullets.

I'm thinking a good list for them would be:

Lugft Huron, glorious leader of Badab

A centurion (i'm not sure if lugft fills this role or not) solely because it is compulsory

2 squads of 40 man conscript blobs with 4 flamers each

2 squads of 20 man space marine squads with 4 plasma guns each combat squad-ed so eight squads here, if my reading of the rules is correct

2 squads of 3 rapier laser destroyer batteries

and a techmarine with thunderfire cannon

Thoughts?
Also is there even a point to taking retaliator squads?

Hi I actually have some experience with Tyrant's Legion a few times so I'll address these points.

Huron sucks, unless you are playing Apocalypse or something. Because he can't take an honour guard or an elite SM choice with him, you can't really pair him with anything that can hit/survive like he can. He's a shitload of points too so I question his utility. Personally I take Arch-Centurion Commodus for sweet Retaliator action.

Also yeah, it does look like you still need to take a Centurion if you play over 1,500 points if you take Huron. Don't take Huron. Either take a generic Centurion or take Commodus (who is one of the cheapest SM characters and yet is amazing).

I ran 2 units of 20 conscripts and they died like bitches. They are slow to move anywhere and they will die in close combat. I would just take the minimum (which is the compulsory 20 man unit) but overall it doesn't jive with the rest of my army (which is tracked). So I just paid the Auxilia tax and moved.

Foot slogging marines suck, plasma guns are nice. I personally just take a more standard Tac squad loadout, nothing too special but :shrug:

I don't get your heavy support choices. The whole point of this army is to effectively overload on poo poo like Leman Russ Battle Tanks and the Ordnance Heavy Battery (the Earthshakers on cruciform mounts) and sure, Rapiers are neat but maybe one squad of them instead of 2. Also you are bringing a Thunderfire cannon to a list which has access some of, if not the, best artillery in the whole game. You are literally pussing out in the heavy support choices, it is your duty to fill all the slots out with as much armour, artillery and :siren:Thunderbolts:siren: as possible to make your opponent weep bitter tears of sadness as you remove his army piecemeal.

The Ordnance Battery is loving cheap as poo poo, add extra crew and *camo netting*. Take max crew, if you feel special you can even upgrade them to Medusa's since warhammer is played at an unrealistically close range.

Retaliators are neat, chuck them in Razorbacks with TL Lascannons for a nice counter-attack/tank hunting unit.

Frankly playing Tyrant's Legion is an eclectic experience because you are both fast and slow, the major disadvantage to it is that you are playing 40K: Scrunt Boogaloo so it feels really awkward and clunky and I wouldn't recommend it. If you have everything in your original list then go with that and disregard my comments, if you had a choice you can basically get all the above poo poo off ebay and convert. All my Legion marines are RT marines I salvaged, my Retaliators are salvaged assault marines, my conscripts are a mix of cheap plastic Cadians I scrounged. My Armsman Cadre is a bunch of old Vostroyans I had lying around. I also managed to have like a few Leman Russes hanging around so that worked.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Also regarding Imperial Navy aircraft, if anyone loves crafting with paper you can effectively achieve the same results as buying/rescuing a hunk of resin off eBay. The full disclosure is that all my Warhammer poo poo is officially shelved, bar one, final, model, a little something I managed to rescue, something which if a game arose I could just drop it in and maybe have a little bit of fun.

https://i.imgur.com/rcZudms.jpg

It was a bargain.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I have two of those and a reaver. I'll never sell them.

Naturally the missile launcher for them I found a decade prior in a tiny hobby shop for ten bucks, I sold a week before I was offered them.

Sivores
May 25, 2008

All about that bass,
that smooth jazzy bass.

Thanks, that gives me a lot to think about, also I don't have the full list but I do have around 80 mutant chronicles not guardsmen that I just bought and have assembled to be those two huge conscript blobs so yeah, other than that I kind of wanted to run an imperium horde army that focused on pretty much fearless ground pounding marines throwing conscripts in the way using huron's leadership 10 across the board, that supported by heavey artillery. Its a break from my usual but, hey at least retaliators have a purpose, good to know.

Also pretty poor when it comes to buying hams so I'm trying to get it done on a cheap scale, also what is your opinion on the corpse taker and marauder squads?

Sivores fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Mar 17, 2015

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Sivores posted:

Thanks, that gives me a lot to think about, also I don't have the full list but I do have around 80 mutant chronicles not guardsmen that I just bought and have assembled to be those two huge conscript blobs so yeah, other than that I kind of wanted to run an imperium horde army that focused on pretty much fearless ground pounding marines throwing conscripts in the way using huron's leadership 10 across the board, that supported by heavey artillery. Its a break from my usual but, hey at least retaliators have a purpose, good to know.

Also pretty poor when it comes to buying hams so I'm trying to get it done on a cheap scale, also what is your opinion on the corpse taker and marauder squads?

Yeah look as I said before, if you have the models then use them, I haven't seen 2x 40 man blob Legion Auxilia before, but moving 20 of the fuckers is painful enough, nevermind two lots of fourty so I fear for your sanity. I do like how you've got a consistent speed (really loving slow) so atleast you'll get some mileage out of the moving cover saves.

Given your strategy I'd really switch out the Rapiers and add either Leman Russ Battle Tanks OR Earthshaker cannons from the Ordnance Battery, I wouldn't go with a Basilisk because you'll never engage over 72" anyway and the Leman Russ is well-armored enough. The only other thing is that flyers are now a thing so you either need to have your own (I have Thunderbolts in mine) or your own AA, this can either be Hydra's or whatever the gently caress those dumb Space Marine AA tanks are these days, I have no loving clue what they are except one is an unshakeable missile which sounds retarded and then you have weak guns on the other. Hydra's are good, I guess, but I prefer my Thunderbolt because I could deep strike it *once* behind some unlucky fucker before you have to spawn back from your base line.

I had a Corpse Taker unit done up (a really old Apothecary model you see) and it was somewhat useful in the previous version of the Tyrant's Legion so it's not worth poo poo and I wouldn't use it, all the 2+ poison on the Apothecary's boltpistol is okay, I suppose. Marauder Squads are good, no other way to really put it. You have 3 Elite Choices to fill and seeing you can't take a thing because of Huron, you either fill them with Retaliators (Which are decent enough), lovely Corpse-Taker mans or Marauders, I personally didn't take them but that is because I have a squad of Auxilia Armsmen which fill a slightly different role.

You can have insane assaulting Marauders, these are the guys you want to give the Brutes to. You can have annoying infiltrating sniper shootmans, or you have a unit much like Grenadiers. You need to consider unit size carefully because they run off if they break. If you like the sound of pseudo-grenadiers, consider the Auxilia Armsmen. I swear by these guys because they are somewhere inbetween regular Guardsmen and Vets, you aren't paying a BS4 tax nor are you paying a tax for Carapace armour unless you want it. What it gives you is a highly flexible infantry unit which will regroup (as per normal, unlike Marauders), which can be jammed into a Chimera and used to take objectives (I usually paired my squad with a Legion Cohort). They also get the old guard doctrine where they can reroll 1's to hit while they are stationary.

In any case, both Marauders and Armsmen are legit useful as well as being your unique modelling opportunity. My armsmen are Vostroyans, so they have a really neat "House Guard" kind of feel which constrasts the aesthetic of the rest of the army. I have them in a Chimera (the hats must be annoying) which is pretty stock so hopefully this gives you a few ideas, I don't really like hams anymore but I'll talk about Tyrant's Legion and stuff because it's really one of the coolest armies Forge World put out, and really can be seen as the precursor to the 30K Legion lists you see today.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Slimnoid posted:

I wanna say Reaper, since you can see the atypical base extender on the far left one's base, but I'm not 100% sure. When I searched 'bear' on their site I mostly got buff shirtless dudes and dwarves :kimchi:

You could always go for the ramshackle ones though, if that suits your fancy. You'd probably have to replace the torsos to make them Valhallan, but hell, that's easy enough.
I like the Ramshackle one, but it's only one and it's in a pretty static pose. After searching on Reaper's site for a while, it makes me really appreciate GW's site for actually having visible pictures of the things you're trying to buy. I found this bear who looks pretty close though: https://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/bear/sku-down/02878#detail/IG_418_1 They've got a handful but the scales aren't really that easy to figure out and they look really limited in poses, so I don't wanna drop $45 on a trio of the same bear just yet.

BuffaloChicken posted:

I tried looking, but couldn't turn anything up. I hope you find them - love those models, and I'm sure your take on the conversion would be great!

EDIT: This one looks nice, but I don't see the manufacturer listed. Perhaps you could get in touch with one of the people who runs the website?

http://www.leadlegion.com/2013_04_01_archive.html
That does look good; I'll give them a buzz.

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

Anyone have any thoughts/links on how to do "irradiated wasteland" sort of bases for some dudes? I like the idea of a bunch of dudes slogging through some withered and mutated grasses, pools of radioactive slime, etc, but apart from water effects + ink for the sludge I'm not sure how to convey that. I'm thinking a green/brown/yellow camo scheme will fit it best, but I'm definitely still not fixed in that respect.

BULBASAUR posted:

What do you think about the new dodo dread, AbusePuppy? Lots of love for it in the mainstream 30k community. It has an edge against fliers, but once you throw that missile launcher onto it costs a boat load of points. Same with the +1 invuln generator (albiet a dread with a 4++ is pretty cool)

I think it's... not bad, overall; it's clocking in at the same price as other Contemptors, but it actually hits a lot harder due to BS5 and Sunder on the arm mounts. The add-on missiles unfortunately work at cross-purposes with its normal guns (they're anti-infantry/MC, whereas it really wants to shoot tanks) but are not a terrible buy, since they at least can hurt lighter AVs. The Heavy Flamer swap feels like a pretty obvious choice just because the Bolter won't ever really do anything. The real question, at the end of the day, is whether you really need something that does what it does- it's a great AA platform, but how many strong airplanes do you see around these days? It's not a very good threat against Flyrants, which are the main airborne concern at this point, so it loses out to things like Stormtalons or Hyperios Launchers there. (It is at least immune to damage from the front by Flyrants, though, bar the Haywire.)

I think if you're taking a Relic, you'll more often want a Sicaran- it's cheaper, better against a lot of targets, and the Tank Hunter upgrade is cheap and useful. However, if you wanted to field it- or if one of your buddies is constantly bringing AV12 flyers that are giving you problems- it's certainly good enough to use. I doubt it'll make any waves, but I think Forge World did a pretty alright job with this one, rules-wise at least.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

AbusePuppy posted:

Anyone have any thoughts/links on how to do "irradiated wasteland" sort of bases for some dudes? I like the idea of a bunch of dudes slogging through some withered and mutated grasses, pools of radioactive slime, etc, but apart from water effects + ink for the sludge I'm not sure how to convey that. I'm thinking a green/brown/yellow camo scheme will fit it best, but I'm definitely still not fixed in that respect.

Like these? http://www.forgecraftgames.com/product-category/battlefield-bases/round-bases/fire-and-brimstone-round/

I recently bought some wooden dock themed bases for my warma pirates from these guys and I'm really pleased with the quality of the molds they used. You need to wash, prime and sand the bottom of the bases, but it's not horrible and they really do look quite good.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?
Ad Mech bitches

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

koreban posted:

Like these? http://www.forgecraftgames.com/product-category/battlefield-bases/round-bases/fire-and-brimstone-round/

I recently bought some wooden dock themed bases for my warma pirates from these guys and I'm really pleased with the quality of the molds they used. You need to wash, prime and sand the bottom of the bases, but it's not horrible and they really do look quite good.

Something along those lines, yeah. I do like Forgecraft's bases (I use their Lake of Sorrows stuff for my Necrons), but I wanted to do something by hand this time rather than pre-sculpted, both for cost and customizability reasons.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.
It translates to "all hail Mars!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Big Willy Style posted:

Ad Mech bitches

Holy poo poo,

I really didn't believe those rumors, but I guess with this and the Harlequins launch GW has started to crank out smaller allied armies.

Safety Factor fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Mar 17, 2015

• Locked thread