Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Fil5000 posted:

Cole has two modes of operation - smug rear end in a top hat and angry rear end in a top hat. I guess it's at least consistent with how he is in all the cutscenes but yeah, it's incredibly frustrating when you hit "doubt" and he just yells at the suspect.

This is because after they finished designing all the battles, they changed the option called "force" to be called "doubt" and left everything else the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

OAquinas posted:

"Mankind Divided" is a new trademark squeenix filed last year.

In which you play a wrestler who is having difficulty choosing steak or ribs for dinner.

Alternatively, you can crawl into an air vent, shoot all the employees with tranquilizers then set the place on fire.

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax

O Hanraha-hanrahan posted:

Be surprised if we didn't find out something more concrete about it this year. They confirmed they were working on a sequel in 2013.

Interesting. I never noticed that the weird lighting fixture in the background of the concept art is similar to the one they showed recently when they talked about their new engine.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Shumagorath posted:

Oh I agree; I just liked the idea of beating Darrow without augs. In terms of usefulness it's just slightly less so than the jump aug.

Are you trying to say the jump aug is useless? Because that's literally the aug I view as the most useful outside of maybe hacking.

Don't bad mouth my mad ups, boy :colbert:

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

I wonder what the minimum viable build is for nonkill/stealth games. I'm pretty sure that as long as you're willing to play murder simulator you can do the entire game with no augs, but how many are required if you're being sneaky? Like, I'm pretty sure you need either high jump or super strength to access the police station if you can't get Wayne to let you in.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

VostokProgram posted:

I wonder what the minimum viable build is for nonkill/stealth games. I'm pretty sure that as long as you're willing to play murder simulator you can do the entire game with no augs, but how many are required if you're being sneaky? Like, I'm pretty sure you need either high jump or super strength to access the police station if you can't get Wayne to let you in.
You can do the entire game without augs or items, but you have to complete all the dialogue battles and I'm not sure you can unlock all three endings.

My rule was that I could use the items in the boss rooms, but I think you can actually do it without by using some physics fuckery.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

fennesz posted:

Are you trying to say the jump aug is useless? Because that's literally the aug I view as the most useful outside of maybe hacking.

Don't bad mouth my mad ups, boy :colbert:
Reflex Booster, Hacking, Jump and Heavy Lift are my essentials in that order. Icarus is up there too but I could probably get by with concussion grenades. CASIE is fun and very useful but I didn't miss it.

Also whoever said the Zeke conversation battle is fun hasn't shot him in the shoulder then punched him in the face.

Extropist
Apr 26, 2008

CJacobs posted:

The one with Haas sucks because there's like three ways you can instantly gently caress yourself out of a victory, and one of those ways comes from two alternate reactions to the same dialogue choice. I believe there's two things he can say when you tell him to get over the past: He'll either solemnly nod and agree with Jensen, and that puts you on the path to getting what you want, or he'll blow up on Jensen and say the whole "where the hell do you get off" spiel and you will have no way to win.

While they're alternate, I don't think they're random. It's been a little while, but I believe that if you're "winning", if he's trusting you, then telling him to get over the past works - if he is suspicious of you, of course telling him to get over the past won't be effective. I felt like the dialogue with Haas was actually well done, and without CASIE you have to watch your footing and not overstep his boundaries.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Mr Burglar Man posted:

While they're alternate, I don't think they're random. It's been a little while, but I believe that if you're "winning", if he's trusting you, then telling him to get over the past works - if he is suspicious of you, of course telling him to get over the past won't be effective. I felt like the dialogue with Haas was actually well done, and without CASIE you have to watch your footing and not overstep his boundaries.

All except for Jensen's really weird voice for that battle. If I remember earlier stuff from this thread correctly, it was before Elias settled on what Adam's voice should be.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

SpelledBackwards posted:

All except for Jensen's really weird voice for that battle. If I remember earlier stuff from this thread correctly, it was before Elias settled on what Adam's voice should be.

Doesn't he more or less just use his own voice for Adam? I seem to recall an interview he did and just speaking casually it was like listening to the game audio.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

VostokProgram posted:

Off the top of my head, all the ways to get to the police morgue are;

1) Win conversation battle with Wayne.
2) Cloak the whole time. Probably impossible without maxing out cloak, lots of energy upgrades, and several Big Energy Jars.
3) Enter through the sewers.
4) Enter through the back alley.
5) EAT HOT LEAD, PIGS!!!!

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

reagan posted:

How many years did it take them to develop HR? Any chance they show up at E3 with the sequel?

They apparently showed off the game's hair tech at GDC. No plot details, but the game definitely exists, so there might be something at E3.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Gynovore posted:

2) Cloak the whole time. Probably impossible without maxing out cloak, lots of energy upgrades, and several Big Energy Jars.

Really, as long as you know where you're going it should be easy; you don't need to cloak the whole time, just while you're in line of sight, so you can recharge while hiding in cover.

Extropist
Apr 26, 2008

SpelledBackwards posted:

Ugh, yeah, agreed on that. I was thinking about the design of the encounter when I mentioned dialogue. Jensen's voice was a little all over the place, and weird especially with regard to his inflection.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

OAquinas posted:

Doesn't he more or less just use his own voice for Adam? I seem to recall an interview he did and just speaking casually it was like listening to the game audio.

He's explained in interviews that originally he played Adam with a higher pitched voice and a slightly thicker accent, but he dropped it in favor of basically just his normal voice because it worked better. The Haas conversation battle is basically the only remnant of the original Jensen voice left.

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

Baroness Kanan-Zelaya of the minor House of Carbon

CJacobs posted:

The one with Haas sucks because there's like three ways you can instantly gently caress yourself out of a victory, and one of those ways comes from two alternate reactions to the same dialogue choice. I believe there's two things he can say when you tell him to get over the past: He'll either solemnly nod and agree with Jensen, and that puts you on the path to getting what you want, or he'll blow up on Jensen and say the whole "where the hell do you get off" spiel and you will have no way to win.
It's been a while, but I'm pretty sure that pass/fail decision split there is influenced by his previous choices in the conversation - if Haas had been less aggressive in that run, then the absolve option works and he gets over the past, but if he'd been going full tilt on Jensen, crush is the right option in that case and Haas gets called out on his bullshit. (Edit: beaten on this topic.)

Now the Bill Taggart callout in the press conference, outside of a lucky fluke my first time through I've never been able to get that one to work without hitting the CASIE option, he's one slick operator.

Extropist
Apr 26, 2008

40 Proof Listerine posted:

It's been a while, but I'm pretty sure that pass/fail decision split there is influenced by his previous choices in the conversation - if Haas had been less aggressive in that run, then the absolve option works and he gets over the past, but if he'd been going full tilt on Jensen, crush is the right option in that case and Haas gets called out on his bullshit. (Edit: beaten on this topic.)

Now the Bill Taggart callout in the press conference, outside of a lucky fluke my first time through I've never been able to get that one to work without hitting the CASIE option, he's one slick operator.

I thought of him as a greasy politician, and got through it the first go by calling him out on his smears and emotional appeals, and keeping him on topic. It's really fun to see him on the back-pedal when his grandstanding falls apart, but it feels a little weird (and I feel this way about Darrow's conversation, too, though I enjoy both of these dialogues.) Jensen gets too competent given how much of a stooge he is in the cut-scenes. I mean, the one that made me cringe was Zhao's escape, was it really THAT essential, given that you could have found plenty of evidence of Zhao's wrongdoing?

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

VostokProgram posted:

Automatic Unlocking Devices make it a lot easier to go without augs. You can enter through the sewer, wait for the bottom of the laser grid to turn off (it does this twice on a cycle, the first time isn't long enough to make it through), and waltz right into the morgue.

I kind of want to do a no-aug run now. The beginning of Missing Link was always the best part for me, since you do things you'd never otherwise do, like sneaking behind (or dragging) guards through laser grids.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

OAquinas posted:

"Mankind Divided" is a new trademark squeenix filed last year.

So yeah, the guy who writes the titles sucks.

Deus Ex 5: Stay Out of the 'Ton, Bro

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Grand Fromage posted:

Deus Ex 5: Stay Out of the 'Ton, Bro

The second sentence of that line, "bad poo poo going down"... that's about the only swearing I can recall from the first game beyond drat or hell. Is that right?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

SpelledBackwards posted:

The second sentence of that line, "bad poo poo going down"... that's about the only swearing I can recall from the first game beyond drat or hell. Is that right?
Oh yes.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

OAquinas posted:

He used the exact same voice for Kobin in the last Splinter Cell so I don't think it's a case of Mark Hamill using the Joker for everything.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Mr Burglar Man posted:

I thought of him as a greasy politician, and got through it the first go by calling him out on his smears and emotional appeals, and keeping him on topic. It's really fun to see him on the back-pedal when his grandstanding falls apart, but it feels a little weird (and I feel this way about Darrow's conversation, too, though I enjoy both of these dialogues.) Jensen gets too competent given how much of a stooge he is in the cut-scenes. I mean, the one that made me cringe was Zhao's escape, was it really THAT essential, given that you could have found plenty of evidence of Zhao's wrongdoing?

Prerendered Adam is basically the worst enemy in the game. Whereas gameplay Adam, in both dialog and action, can be quite competent, cutscene Adam is the universe's biggest fuckup.

It's painful to watch.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

OAquinas posted:

Yeah. He's in Ascension and I immediately noticed it was Jensen.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

SpelledBackwards posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCZHB72moY4

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

MY FAT WAIFU!!! :love:
She's fetish efficient :3:

Nap Ghost

chiasaur11 posted:

Prerendered Adam is basically the worst enemy in the game. Whereas gameplay Adam, in both dialog and action, can be quite competent, cutscene Adam is the universe's biggest fuckup.

It's painful to watch.

The nadir for that is definitely when Zhao 'dupes' Adam; that poo poo was just the very worst :argh:

Edit: That said, I should really replay this game again sometime. It has been too long. Same for Dishonored :allears:

magimix fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Mar 17, 2015

Dav
Nov 6, 2009

magimix posted:

The nadir for that is definitely when Zhao 'dupes' Adam; that poo poo was just the very worst :argh:

YES. Man, I was ashamed to be helping Adam at that point.

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed
I assumed Zhao just CASIE'd him in that cutscene. It seems like something she'd do, and it's a nice callback to you (maybe) getting CASIE'd in Hengsha, doing the bartender's side-quest (if you believe the target's story).

That doesn't explain things like Adam just walking up to Barrett and then being surprised when the full-combat 'borg with a gun for an arm is stronger than him.

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

beats for junkies posted:

I assumed Zhao just CASIE'd him in that cutscene. It seems like something she'd do, and it's a nice callback to you (maybe) getting CASIE'd in Hengsha, doing the bartender's side-quest (if you believe the target's story).

That doesn't explain things like Adam just walking up to Barrett and then being surprised when the full-combat 'borg with a gun for an arm is stronger than him.

He's been equipped with the absolute latest in unbelievably awesome prototype Sarif technology. Expecting that another cyborg won't match up wouldn't be that unreasonable. The prerendered cutscenes are pretty eh, though.

I'm curious if the issue is that they're here to paper over the fact that a lot of the boss battles/etc. weren't supposed to happen at those junctures because a good 25% to 1/3rd of the game was apparently cut. As I understand, Barrett was supposed to show up during Hengsha II, instead of during Hengsha I, where his "get in close and grab Jensen" thing makes more sense because it was supposed to happen right after the explosives went off and Jensen was stunned.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

MJ12 posted:

I'm curious if the issue is that they're here to paper over the fact that a lot of the boss battles/etc. weren't supposed to happen at those junctures because a good 25% to 1/3rd of the game was apparently cut. As I understand, Barrett was supposed to show up during Hengsha II, instead of during Hengsha I, where his "get in close and grab Jensen" thing makes more sense because it was supposed to happen right after the explosives went off and Jensen was stunned.

That was from the demo though, which was a whole mishmash of scenes that didn't really make sense

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

MY FAT WAIFU!!! :love:
She's fetish efficient :3:

Nap Ghost

TWIST FIST posted:

That was from the demo though, which was a whole mishmash of scenes that didn't really make sense

I know that stuff was certainly cut, but I think the issue simply boils down to them being totally locked into bringing things down to a singular point at key moments in the game, but doing so in a ham-fisted way. By and large choice in games is illusory in any case, but games firing on all cylinders ably disguise the fact of this, or at least do it in a way that doesn't antagonise the player.

Human Resolution frequently made Adam (and indirectly the player, if you go for the whole 'you are the protagonist' thing) out be a complete loving idiot in order to make happen the encounters the producers wanted to have happen. Hell, with no extra player agency at all, if they'd just made the scenes leading into the various forced encounters less bone-headed, they'd have got less poo poo for it.

Thankfully, most of the rest of the game is awesome, so it is a downer, but not a game killer :sweatdrop:

magimix fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Mar 17, 2015

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Cutscene-Stupid Jensen payed off for me in the end on my first playthrough because I didn't take the new biochip, so Jensen FINALLY got to be smug and smart against a boss when it counted. The way Adam just looks himself over like :geno: when Zhao presses the button that's supposed to disable him... :allears:

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Did anyone take the new biochip? I think I could have made a pretty good guess even if I hadn't read any e-mails at TYM.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Shumagorath posted:

Did anyone take the new biochip? I think I could have made a pretty good guess even if I hadn't read any e-mails at TYM.

I think that I did on my first playthrough, but only because I got confused and thought that I had to to advance the game. Like I couldn't find any other objectives and though the game was forcing me to get the chip to advance the plot.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Shumagorath posted:

I saw the lines at the clinic and said, "gently caress standing in that crap." I guess there was also the fact that it was extremely obvious it was a trap, as such things almost always are.

Steelion
Aug 2, 2009

Shumagorath posted:

I did, because I wanted to see what would happen. I knew it was super fishy and would probably backfire though.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

magimix posted:

By and large choice in games is illusory in any case

I always enjoy when you have an inventory you could completely empty out our replace with crazy items, but a character will still pull the game's basic pistol for cutscenes, or sometimes a knife you don't even normally have access to just so they can threaten someone else or try to prevent their escape (ex: RE4 or Alpha Protocol).

They got an easy copout with Adam's oddly rectangular arm blades in this one, though.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Cutscene Pistol is why I said gently caress it and just started carrying a Predator in Mass Effect 3 because I was a solider and already had four good weapons.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Shumagorath posted:

I think it's basically the same as the dev commentary said: People who played the first one and payed attention to all the conspiracy crap knew it was a trap, more casual players fell for it.

I think that was the best part in the entire game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I was 80% certain getting the chip was going to be a bad idea, but I did it because I didn't want to miss whatever bad thing happens. I was slightly on the fence if not getting the chip would cause another blackout at an inopportune time, instead of just running around in the streets.

Either way, I didn't think the penalty for getting the chip was too punishing. He was probably the easiest boss for me anyways.

• Locked thread