Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

deftest posted:

Super broken in constructed though, no? How quickly we forget the season of all black / all blue

They would contribute to constructed, yes, but these are far more balanced than Reckoner/Nightveil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

deftest posted:

Super broken in constructed though, no? How quickly we forget the season of all black / all blue

I don't think those cards would be all that broken in devotion strategies. The Blue decks were good just because of the quantity of UU and UUU playables that were available and MonoB just had cards like Pack Rat and Thoughsieze with insane power levels. These wouldn't fall into either of those camps...

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

mcmagic posted:

I don't think those cards would be all that broken in devotion strategies. The Blue decks were good just because of the quantity of UU and UUU playables that were available and MonoB just had cards like Pack Rat and Thoughsieze with insane power levels. These wouldn't fall into either of those camps...

Thoughtseize is still in Standard, and so is Grey Merchant of Asphodel.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Serperoth posted:

Yeah but I don't think Thoughtsieze is enough to bring back monoB and Gary was only in the deck because you had all these other super powerful cards that were BB or BBB. I didn't even bring up Underworld Connections...

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Serperoth posted:

Yeah and only one of those is good in a vacuum.

There's nothing else to justify going mono B right now.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

TheKingofSprings posted:

Yeah and only one of those is good in a vacuum.

There's nothing else to justify going mono B right now.

A BBB Dragon could help it, that's my point. It's no Nightveil for sure, but a curve that goes Bloodsoaked Champion->Thoughtseize->BBB Dragon->Gary isn't bad.

Probably wouldn't be as dominant as Pack Rat MonoB, but CCC permanents can be dangerous right now, that's my point.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
No more (e: of some) 8 man constructed queues on Modo. 6-2-2-2 queues! The sky is falling!!!

http://magic.wizards.com/en/MTGO/articles/archive/magic-online/april-2015-event-changes-2015-03-16

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

quote:

One of the things we try to do is avoid regret.
You're not doing a very good job, MTGO.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

So, they got rid of momir dailies and now also queues?

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

I am glad they are replacing the good EV 4 pack sealed events which don't fire enough for phantom 4 pack sealed events which are good practice for real life and something players are really clamoring for.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Tiny lovely flyers just don't feel like dragons. Even the 3/3 megamorphs are kindof pushing it.

Admittedly I do like Hatchling and I wouldn't have minded that.

whateverfor
Jul 23, 2007
fuck you sped

rabidsquid posted:

I am glad they are replacing the good EV 4 pack sealed events which don't fire enough for phantom 4 pack sealed events which are good practice for real life and something players are really clamoring for.

They are only removing the 4 pack sealed for the old formats, not the current one. Also the phantom sealed will be the current 6-pack sealed, not 4 pack. It's understandable: I spent a while trying to get in a 4 booster THS/JOU sealed event for some of that sweet sweet EV and they NEVER fired. Turns out there's not much desire to play Sealed+Old+Bad Format.

I don't agree with every decision Lee Sharpe has made but he seems to actually be paying attention to the data and be willing to experiment.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

There is actually no reason to play 4 pack sealed ever as the format only exists on MTGO. I doubt it would have ever gained traction if it weren't the only way to play with your packs without spending any tix at all.

It would be nice if there had been an equivalent "real" sealed format.

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica
The 6-2-2-2-2 queues seem interesting. The risk isn't as high as the 8-4 drafts but the reward is on par with the previous payouts. Being able to play something comparable to a 4-3-2-2 without getting knocked out of the running for losing your first round is a nice change, too.

Shavnir
Apr 5, 2005

A MAN'S DREAM CAN NEVER DIE
So I passed my level two judge test at the open last weekend. :toot:

Bring on the PreTQs.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Shavnir posted:

Bring on the PreTQs.

Congratulations!
In similar but unrelated news, the Summer Conference for my region was announced today. Seems pretty hype, and considering how fun the Winter one was, I hope I'll get to go.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

No more (e: of some) 8 man constructed queues on Modo. 6-2-2-2 queues! The sky is falling!!!

http://magic.wizards.com/en/MTGO/articles/archive/magic-online/april-2015-event-changes-2015-03-16

Down with this so hard.

Shavnir posted:

Bring on the PreTQs.

congratulations u big sexy man cow u

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

Quick question, is it possible for someone to tap a card that isn't normally tappable due to an effect? For example, if player A has tangle wire out, could the tap that tangle wire as one of the cards?

Ranpire
Nov 6, 2012
Yes, and that's the usual play with Tangle Wire.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Fiend Computer posted:

Quick question, is it possible for someone to tap a card that isn't normally tappable due to an effect? For example, if player A has tangle wire out, could the tap that tangle wire as one of the cards?

Yep, you can tap any permanent even if normal game actions wouldn't typically cause it to tap.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

Okay, I thought so, but I had someone argue that I couldn't. Thanks!

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Fiend Computer posted:

Okay, I thought so, but I had someone argue that I couldn't. Thanks!

Not only that, but if you put the tap trigger on the stack before the Fading trigger, you only really have to tap 2 things because you have the Tangle Wire while they still have to tap 4.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
Yeah tangle wire is absurd. Can think of very few cube decks that don't want it.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Pontius Pilate posted:

Yeah tangle wire is absurd. Can think of very few cube decks that don't want it.

Or EDH decks!

Except like, aggro ones, like Anafenza, probably.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Numot the Devastator, because it has :911: colors and it flies in for a direct hit that destroys two structures from the air.

Good Lord.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Count Bleck posted:

Or EDH decks!

Except like, aggro ones, like Anafenza, probably.
This sentence parses like you don't think Tangle Wire is an aggro card.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
Just use tangle wire with Vorel until you find your win con.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Bugsy posted:

edh.docx

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I wish they just replaced the pack-per-win queues with the 6-3-2-2's for everything, since the only real point of the swiss is getting to play three rounds.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Spiderdrake posted:

This sentence parses like you don't think Tangle Wire is an aggro card.

Oh, yeah. I use that poo poo in my Jor Kadeen deck. He has pummeled many a face with Tangle Wire power ups. :getin:

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Swagger Dagger posted:

I wish they just replaced the pack-per-win queues with the 6-3-2-2's for everything, since the only real point of the swiss is getting to play three rounds.

I would not be unhappy if everything was 6-2-2-2s.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Bugsy posted:

Nothing better than having tangle wire sitting at 3000 with a prophet of kruphix out.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Hellsau posted:

I would not be unhappy if everything was 6-2-2-2s.

Don't let Lee Sharpe hear you or they're going to take that extra pack away and claim players were asking for it :ssh:

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

rabidsquid posted:

Don't let Lee Sharpe hear you or they're going to take that extra pack away and claim players were asking for it :ssh:
He just wants to curtail your regret in losing and not winning that pack. He's doing it for you.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

rabidsquid posted:

If they come out with 6-1-2-2 queues I'll laugh and laugh and laugh.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Phantom triple ARB is such a silly format. I drafted a fast Grixis deck with a pile of Grixis Grimblades and Esper Stormblades, some flyers and removal spells. The decks are all absurdly powerful, but with pretty bad mana, which makes for some insane swings. I just narrowly beat a crazy exalted deck. Ardent Plea and tons of 2 mana exalted guys, so I was usually staring down three triggers by turn 3. Round 2 I barely get taken down by a Jund deck with Lavalanche, 3 Putrid Leeches, at least 2 Bituminous Blasts, Bloodbraid Elf. Like, that kind of deck should not be barely beating anything in any sort of reasonable limited format. This is pretty much the best thing ever.

ShadeofBlue fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Mar 17, 2015

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe
Paul Cheon has the craziest fans. He's doing a 24-hour stream and has made something like $1.3k today through donations alone.

Mouth Ze Dong
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.
1K came from a single person. Not a bad gig he's got there.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

Lancelot posted:

Paul Cheon has the craziest fans. He's doing a 24-hour stream and has made something like $1.3k today through donations alone.

Its funny because that's not even insane for a video game streamer. People are just straight nuts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I

Wezlar posted:

Its funny because that's not even insane for a video game streamer. People are just straight nuts

Yeah MTGO players are like bottom rung on Twitch. People playing LoL or CS:GO (especially women) regularly make 5-7k a stream. Which is insane to me but good on them for supporting the entertainment they consume I guess.

• Locked thread