Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

SynthOrange posted:

Fire engines barrelling down the skywalks. :getin:

No more traffic problems!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrtnsMKRvX8&t=140s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.

Vahakyla posted:

:w00t:

http://butt-2.steamusercontent.com/ugc/707402399209628903/4F77141FE887F6D98C9EFE3661FD728BB84E33FC/

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=409184143&searchtext=police

"Only ambulances, hearses, police cars, fire trucks and garbage trucks can use these roads. Commercial zones will not last long (no supplies to sell). Buses will be added later. "

:w00t:

Now there is a mod that allows pedestrian walkways to be used by public service vehicles. Police, Fire EMS and garbage trucks will use pedestrian walkways and you can also zone pedestrian walkways with buildings.

This is awesome. It allows you to build better neighborhoods without worrying about the services getting there. Plenty of European cities have walkable-only ways that police still use but no private cars are allowed into.

This is what I need.

Edit: This is so useful even if you just put a small bit of it and connect normal roads for making service roads that only garbage trucks and the like can use. It acts like a gate.

TomR fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Mar 17, 2015

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Mister Adequate posted:

Hey yo just wanted to say your Mars map is probably my favorite of all I've tried so far, both stock and modded. It's got a great combination of features, altitudes, plains., etc that make it really fun to work with.

Following up on this, here's the latest shot of Ares Sector. The big snaking road down to the lower areas will soon come into play; I just needed it in place earlier because I feared it might be a significant engineering feat that needed a lot of space. Soon the city will start moving down there.

Also check out Poo Lake in the north :v:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

If you keep pumping sewage into that lake, will it eventually overflow?

Freakus
Oct 21, 2000

Reveilled posted:

Why don't cargo trains come to this station? I built it along with my new downtown district to attempt to resolve some problems my commercial zones were having with their goods supplies. I had anticipated that cargo trains would arrive, vans would spawn, and they would drive off to deliver to the shops in the area. But literally not one train ever arrived. Eventually I decided I was going to have to put a new industrial zone in after years of being office-only, which is partially visible on the right. It failed miserably due to lack of workers, but for some reason the cargo stations there receive deliveries, and so you can see the little horde of vans crossing the bridge on their way to deliver to my commercial district. But why won't they visit the station downtown?

The station is on, powered, watered, connected by rail in both directions and has road access (and removing the junction right in front of the station makes no difference). What's going on?
I've had issues as well. It would be nice if they tweaked this.

As it is now I have no idea how they choose which to go to. I have 2 cargo terminals, and a harbor right next to eachother. One cargo terminal is red from usage (cars backed up pretty far on the freeway), the other is green (very few cars), and the harbor is orange (traffic is heavy but it flows). The freeway literally ends with 3 offramps to these 3 locations, so I can't really move cars any faster.

Dred_furst
Nov 19, 2007

"Hey look, I'm flying a giant dong"
Started my third city, so far so good! the entrance isn't clogging up just yet...

and another view of the interchange

so far, we have a population of ~5000.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

SynthOrange posted:

Fire engines barrelling down the skywalks. :getin:

I used to drive down many pedestrian roads in Finland with a fire truck during friday night partygoing, scaring the poo poo out of blasted drunk people.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

SynthOrange posted:

I'd hesitate recommending Blender to a newbie. I've no problem using it because I've used various 3d programs over the years and it's all the same, just a matter of finding out what the hell it's called in this particular package and how to get to it. For someone new to 3d modelling? Uuuuuuh.

Blender's price is right but Sketchup is a piece of piss to pick up and its perfectly suited to making buildings from reference images. Despite being free and capable of much more than Sketchup Blender is too overfeatured to make anything satisfying straight away and all a complete newbie will do is stare blankly at the UI.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Are pedestrian paths part of the base game or a mod? I've looked all over, but I can't find them anywhere.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Lester Shy posted:

Are pedestrian paths part of the base game or a mod? I've looked all over, but I can't find them anywhere.

They're under 'decorations'.

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009
Anyone with any modding knowledge know where the building limit is and how to change it?

I've hit the cap with one district left to fill in and I fill cheated, CHEATED!

Subyng
May 4, 2013
linked mods need to go into the OP!

Just made my first spaghetti. :feelsgood:

e: I think we should just have a shareable document that anyone can add mod links to as our goon-curated mod list.

Subyng fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Mar 17, 2015

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Lester Shy posted:

You need to unlock parks first.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
No! Don't do it! Don't jum...

Oh. Um. Okay. Carry on, then.

(They jump back up too! :haw: )

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Fintilgin posted:

No! Don't do it! Don't jum...

Oh. Um. Okay. Carry on, then.

(They jump back up too! :haw: )

Parkour is a feature, not a bug.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*
I wonder, what's a good size for sign textures? I've been using 256x256 but maybe I could use 512x512 instead.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
How do I get rid of the weird blurry visual effect thing? I thought I saw something about 'film grain' but I cant find it now :shrug:

DEO3
Oct 25, 2005

Unkempt posted:

How do I get rid of the weird blurry visual effect thing? I thought I saw something about 'film grain' but I cant find it now :shrug:

Turn Tilt Shift in the graphics menu all the way down.

The Mantis
Jul 19, 2004

what is yall sayin?
how do i get rid of the loving clouds

give me thread
Dec 29, 2008
So I took some horrible goon advice from the last thread (I think it was meant as a joke) and replaced all my nasty industial pollution zones with lovely office zones. It worked out quite well until I realised neither my commercial or residential requirements were moving at all. I guess it is a good way to get rid of pollution if your whole 25 squares is already maxed out with stuff and you've hit the ceiling. Pretty good way to just sit there for years making money for a while I guess?

On a side note the asset manager is a good way to gently caress around. I jacked up the tourists to 100 and some how managed to bulldoze the side roads and welp...

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Knuc U Kinte posted:

This is loving disgusting.

oh thank god I'm not the only one that had that reaction

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Anyone have a gif or screenshot of that service road mod in action?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

This all kind of works!

Please look at river for highway ramp hilarity.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Where am I supposed to put my poo on the mars map? All you have is that standing lake nearby :(

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Freakus posted:

I've had issues as well. It would be nice if they tweaked this.

As it is now I have no idea how they choose which to go to. I have 2 cargo terminals, and a harbor right next to eachother. One cargo terminal is red from usage (cars backed up pretty far on the freeway), the other is green (very few cars), and the harbor is orange (traffic is heavy but it flows). The freeway literally ends with 3 offramps to these 3 locations, so I can't really move cars any faster.

Yeah, no matter what I try I cannot get this station to receive cargo. Rerouting the inter-city railway to run through this station only resulted in cargo trains driving straight through without stopping en route to the other stations. Deleting the other freight stations resulted in cargo trains simply not coming. Zoning industrial all around the terminal didn't help either. I have literally no idea what could make trains and trucks hate the idea of using this station so much.

EDIT: So, got it to work. Dunno if it's just this station, but apparently cargo stations cannot connect to bidirectional 2-lane roads. What the gently caress?

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

For you people loving about with the building editor, how difficult would it be to make some plopables that work like the two ports? I really want to get some decent sea walls in the game.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Mister Adequate posted:

Hey yo just wanted to say your Mars map is probably my favorite of all I've tried so far, both stock and modded. It's got a great combination of features, altitudes, plains., etc that make it really fun to work with.

UNGH YESSSSSSSSSSSSS thanks so much. Little comments like this makes the 5 hours I spent on it worth it (no exageration because god drat that terrain was bumpy, and simply smoothing out would make all the ridges dissapear, so I had to manually flatten a lot of plateau at places I thought would be playable). I still want to see if there's any way to directly update the file on steam so people can have an updated version directly sent to them, instead of sharing a new file, as right now sharing an updated assets seems to be a bit... unwieldy/buggy, as far as I tried. Maybe I'm dumbo. Anyway, still planning on make the map a beauty pass for more buildable terrain and maybe look over the resource distribution.

Mister Adequate posted:

Following up on this, here's the latest shot of Ares Sector. The big snaking road down to the lower areas will soon come into play; I just needed it in place earlier because I feared it might be a significant engineering feat that needed a lot of space. Soon the city will start moving down there.

Also check out Poo Lake in the north :v:

Poo lake is everyone's stepping stone to that map. I'm glad mine is finally getting cleared up. I snaked down and finally I can pollute the BIGGER crater :getin:

"Here you go Citizen 43, your weekly oxygen ration."

PS: Also I just tried out Chewbot's DESERT color correction and it looks much better (IMO) than the Sunset one, so I'm switching my recommendation to that one.

Popoto fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Mar 17, 2015

Arsonide
Oct 18, 2007

You're breaking my balls here
How do you guys deal with the early game off ramp? It is terrible and I hate it. I wish it was a 2 lane/six lane road or something. I would just bulldoze it and make something better, but in the early game you don't have any tools to do highway ramps or highways, and in the late game, you've already built around the lovely default ramp.

The game is fantastic, but this triggers my OCD so hard.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

It's like the opening move in chess.

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky

Arsonide posted:

How do you guys deal with the early game off ramp? It is terrible and I hate it. I wish it was a 2 lane/six lane road or something. I would just bulldoze it and make something better, but in the early game you don't have any tools to do highway ramps or highways, and in the late game, you've already built around the lovely default ramp.

I just dont develop anything around it until I get to the point where I can upgrade it to something workable.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The only winning move is not to play bulldoze it all

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Arsonide posted:

Just wait until you have the off ramps unlocked, then it's Mister B. time. IF for some reason you really have a huge traffic problem before then, just plug your roads up on your highways all disgustingly-like farther away and fix the damage later.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Traffic is so bad, but none of these motherfuckers are using my metro. What's up with that?

In fact, I'm starting to believe hexagons aren't actually optimal for city blocks in the first place!

comatose
Nov 23, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Trick Question posted:

Traffic is so bad, but none of these motherfuckers are using my metro. What's up with that?

In fact, I'm starting to believe hexagons aren't actually optimal for city blocks in the first place!

You don't have an actual subway line.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
The old abandoned park underneath flooded Poop Bay is presumably where the drug lords stash their smuggler's submarines when not in use

Arsonide posted:

Just connect it with whatever you like the look of best and if you don't like to bulldoze large swathes in the name of progress, its not a bad idea to leave an unbuilt corridor open for a future highway spur when you unlock highways.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Trick Question posted:

You built a tunnel but didnt tell the trains to drive in them.

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009
Through Judicious use of trees and dezoning - including lots of 1 square offices that served little purpose now - I have finished insanity project one.

Big old roundabout as reference.

Essentially, my screenshot and future disaster mod anyone makes test zone is complete.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

comatose posted:

You don't have an actual subway line.

SynthOrange posted:

You built a tunnel but didnt tell the trains to drive in them.

:doh:

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
My opening move is to immediately place an as small as possible 1 lane road and then I delete it just to unlock the other roads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Moridin920 posted:

My opening move is to immediately place an as small as possible 1 lane road and then I delete it just to unlock the other roads.

Pretty sure that is what everyone does. :v: