Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Embrace the nihilism :black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
Cul-de-sac Now that's some dense music.

The Creeps

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

I'm really starting to miss classic Prince Valiant, does anyone know which the last strip posted was(publication date/volume number w/e)? I'm thinking of getting some of the books for myself and I want to know where to start. Hopefully I won't ruin them by plowing through them in an afternoon.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

I can't wait for Bull Greer to punch someone with his fists of justice.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Dr. Dos posted:

My parents used to use "iforgotit" as the wifi password :eng99:

Your pa is an rear end-man too?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Dinette Set gets sentimental.

Workign Daze nails the conservative mindset pretty well.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Y'know, I've heard "show, don't tell", but I've never heard "show and tell at the same time" before...

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Monty

Mike du Jour

Intelligent Life

Retail

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Peanuts: Heavy hangs the head who wears the crown. (March 18, 1968)

Funky Winkerbean

So Mopey Pete is such a low priority that his crisis of conscience fantasy doesn't get a proper ending. Got it.

Popeye

Rip Haywire

Out Our Way (October 27-28, 1926)

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009

Hel posted:

I'm really starting to miss classic Prince Valiant, does anyone know which the last strip posted was(publication date/volume number w/e)? I'm thinking of getting some of the books for myself and I want to know where to start. Hopefully I won't ruin them by plowing through them in an afternoon.

I recently checked out the 1945-1946 collection of Prince Valiant (volume 5 specifically) at my library and they started right after the last one posted. It's definitely worth getting as the story is absolutely fantastic and hilarious as it explores the relationship between Prince Valiant and Aleta.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Hel posted:

You should pick up the Fantagraphics collections, starting with Volume 5. If you have lots of money, you should just pick them all up, because they're really nice.

Emmy Lou

Mandrake the Magician

The Phantom

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

I admit, I actually like Lunker. He has the fortune of not being overused to make the mystery old.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Am I the only one who keeps misreading ungenie as "lingerie"?

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Desperate Character posted:

I recently checked out the 1945-1946 collection of Prince Valiant (volume 5 specifically) at my library and they started right after the last one posted. It's definitely worth getting as the story is absolutely fantastic and hilarious as it explores the relationship between Prince Valiant and Aleta.

GorfZaplen posted:

You should pick up the Fantagraphics collections, starting with Volume 5. If you have lots of money, you should just pick them all up, because they're really nice.

Thanks, unfortunately my library doesn't carry the books so I'll have to buy them, but if I buy them over a period of time(and not gorge on them when they arrive) it should be manageable.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

I think the ungenie is going to eat the money?

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.

Indolent Bastard posted:

Intelligent Life

I really like how Intelligent Life spent weeks building up the whole mystery stalker girl thing and then did absolutely nothing with the reveal.

Rulebook Heavily posted:

I admit, I actually like Lunker. He has the fortune of not being overused to make the mystery old.
You must not read Retail much because he's as predictable, one dimensional and dull as everyone else. His idiot savant shtick is not really new or interesting. As for "man in black hat" it's almost guaranteed it's going to be the mall security guard that showed up a week ago.

Midnight Moth fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Mar 16, 2015

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Intelligent Life is so bad. If you told me it was being produced by an algorithm and a generic c&p strip creator, I might actually believe you.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

goatface posted:

Intelligent Life is so bad. If you told me it was being produced by an algorithm and a generic c&p strip creator, I might actually believe you.

Intelligent Life is far, FAR better than Working Daze. I.L., dare I say it, has room to improve even.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Dewgy posted:

Intelligent Life is far, FAR better than Working Daze. I.L., dare I say it, has room to improve even.

"This turd is better than that one, it's got peanuts in it!"

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Another thread taught me that a pibgorn is actually a Welsh musical instrument. In looking it up, I found this article. Okay, which one of you writes for The Daily Texan?

http://www.dailytexanonline.com/blogs/words-and-pictures/2011/09/27/how-not-to-comic-pibgorn

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

"This turd is better than that one, it's got peanuts in it!"

Nah, it's more like "this fresh turd is better because maybe you can still use it as fertilizer". :v:

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.
Every comic has potential to improve. It's just that the creators choose to stagnate or get worse over time instead.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Midnight Moth posted:

I really like how Intelligent Life spent weeks building up the whole mystery stalker girl thing and then did absolutely nothing with the reveal.

You must not read Retail much because he's as predictable, one dimensional and dull as everyone else. His idiot savant shtick is not really new or interesting. As for "man in black hat" it's almost guaranteed it's going to be the mall security guard that showed up a week ago.

I have zero doubt that whatever faith I show newspaper comic strips will be shattered. :(

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I Don't Think We're Friends Comix

I admit, I would throw a lamp at a gasping head that suddenly thrust itself out of the couch cushions, even if I was the one who put it there.

Ballard Street

Recent edits to the Ballard Street Wiki:

Carl_(Character)
==Relationships with Ballard Animals==
[[Squirrels]] Strongly Disliked

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

goatface posted:

I wouldn't, because there are random strip generators like pandyland that are capable of actually creating funny comics.

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.

Rulebook Heavily posted:

I have zero doubt that whatever faith I show newspaper comic strips will be shattered. :(

I used to think Retail had potential but over the past couple years it just got more repetitive with recycled jokes that have been done several times before, the characters got shittier, whinier and pretty much get away with committing crimes scot-free, and the art and writing got increasingly half-assed. Now I get my entertainment from Luann :geno:

Midnight Moth fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Mar 16, 2015

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Evil Mastermind posted:

Workign Daze nails the conservative mindset pretty well.

"Oops, I forgot to tell a joke!" :tinsley:

Midnight Moth posted:

I used to think Retail had potential but over the past couple years it just got more repetitive with recycled jokes that have been done several times before, the characters got shittier, whinier and pretty much get away with committing crimes scot-free, and the art and writing got increasingly half-assed. Now I get my entertainment from Luann :geno:

It's just giving you the full experience of what it's actually like to work retail.

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.

FIRST TIME posted:

It's just giving you the full experience of what it's actually like to work retail.
I did work retail and my coworkers weren't all lovely and one-dimensional clones of each other.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Midnight Moth posted:

I did work retail and my coworkers weren't all lovely and one-dimensional clones of each other.

Could be worse, at least they didn't find a "DRAMA" tag in the stock room, pulling it and making an already mediocre strip even more lovely.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Another thread taught me that a pibgorn is actually a Welsh musical instrument. In looking it up, I found this article. Okay, which one of you writes for The Daily Texan?

http://www.dailytexanonline.com/blogs/words-and-pictures/2011/09/27/how-not-to-comic-pibgorn

This is a fantastic piece of writing.

The comments all seem to be about Trayvon Martin, for some reason, but the article is great.

Midnight Moth posted:

Now I get my entertainment from Luann :geno:

You better get ready to get jazzed, then, because it's Monday and that means we get bonus content!

:what:

I like how this guy thinks.

(BTW, as of right now there are only 6 comments in the contest thread. If you wanna win a Luann contest, this may be your time to shine!)

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Dr. Dos posted:

My parents used to use "iforgotit" as the wifi password :eng99:

I read that as "I forgo tit".

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

First one that springs to mind is the one where scrawny basecap dude defends milady's honor by assaulting a guy for the crime of wanting to go pee.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
HEY EVERYBODY, SKIPPY'S BACK! :dance: (January 16, 1928)

Pogo (March 18, 1957)

Peanuts: Year Two (May 15-17, 1952)

Super-Fun-Pak Comix

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.
I like the Luann where TJ gets away with insurance fraud.

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

Green Intern posted:

I can't wait for Bull Greer to punch someone with his fists of justice.

Seriously. It's going to be great.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KcGNF0Is4U?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Simian_Prime posted:

I like the Luann where TJ gets away with insurance fraud.
Same.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Sally Forth

The Amazing Spider-Man

He throws pumpkins at people??? :haw:

Juliet Jones

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Julet Esqu posted:

Sally Forth

I normally like how Sally is written but this dialouge doesn't seem like a great fit to me. I'm ready to be wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Julet Esqu posted:

The Amazing Spider-Man

He throws pumpkins at people??? :haw:

Bombs that look like pumpkins. Comic books, you know.

• Locked thread