Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I have no job, one more paycheck coming, and 800 in the bank. gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

^^^ what happened bro I thought the job was going well

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

This new Kendrick album is a mess :( Definitely some good ideas in here, but it could have done with some serious editing. If it'd been cut in half, it probably would've been a much better album. Also less free jazz wankery.

If it was an album full of tracks like The Blacker The Berry, I would've loving loved it. But it isn't.

The Blacker The Berry is so fuckin dope. Ain't listened to the new album yet though.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Literally The Worst posted:

Aw, what happened? Didn't you just get a promotion not that long ago? :(

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Didn't you just get promoted? What did I miss?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I had a bad call and got off and put myself in break and said to someone "if I don't take a break for ten minutes in going to kill a subscriber" and they were going to "suspend" me "pending investigation" so I turned in my badge because gently caress you if I'm going to go home and wait for you to fire me

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

Classic Dickeye!

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
gently caress you.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
Is there any chance you could go ask for your job back?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Slate Action posted:

Is there any chance you could go ask for your job back?

I was going to be fired anyway. "Pending investigation" is just what they say when they don't have the paperwork ready to fire you.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

I had a bad call and got off and put myself in break and said to someone "if I don't take a break for ten minutes in going to kill a subscriber" and they were going to "suspend" me "pending investigation" so I turned in my badge because gently caress you if I'm going to go home and wait for you to fire me

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNEd0_rm6kU

But seriously Dickeye, you said you were going to kill somebody in the workplace. Of course you weren't being serious, but can you really blame them for taking the action that they did? If it was a small family-run business or something, then obviously it would've been a different story. But working where you do, did you really expect them to just ignore that after you told someone that?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNEd0_rm6kU

But seriously Dickeye, you said you were going to kill somebody in the workplace. Of course you weren't being serious, but can you really blame them for taking the action that they did? If it was a small family-run business or something, then obviously it would've been a different story. But working where you do, did you really expect them to just ignore that after you told someone that?

I mean given that I've heard people use that expression at work? At that job? About those customers? Yeah I didn't think that was going to get me fired

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I hate to be this guy but you probably should have let them fire you because then there would have been a chance to collect unemployment. There still was a good chance that would have been rejected but by quitting you give that up.

Yes I know I'm not helping but just for future reference. Also sorry about the loss of your job. Being fired is the loving worst.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I mean given that I've heard people use that expression at work? At that job? About those customers? Yeah I didn't think that was going to get me fired
I mean they may have been fine doing it in the past, but it was a corporate gig, right? That's the kind of poo poo you don't say at a corporate gig. After work? Sure, go out with your friends and tell them "I wanted to murder all those motherfuckers today", and if they know you, they'll obviously know you're being facetious. But corporate high-ups aren't gonna treat you like your friends will.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

I mean they may have been fine doing it in the past, but it was a corporate gig, right? That's the kind of poo poo you don't say at a corporate gig. After work? Sure, go out with your friends and tell them "I wanted to murder all those motherfuckers today", and if they know you, they'll obviously know you're being facetious. But corporate high-ups aren't gonna treat you like your friends will.

That's what I'm saying, I had heard it and said it before, at this job, that I just quit, tonight.

I really don't feel like arguing about this though so what the gently caress ever, I'm going to start job hunting

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Man that's so extra.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

That's what I'm saying, I had heard it and said it before, at this job, that I just quit, tonight.

I really don't feel like arguing about this though so what the gently caress ever, I'm going to start job hunting

If it makes you feel any better, I'm probably going to be fired in ~45 days. I even got a talking-to today. Apparently I had too many people go through my line without rewards cards that I couldn't coerce into signing up.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Man that's so extra.

That Michael Jordan is so phony!

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Man that's so extra.

"Extra" is a great thing that I didn't hear before I moved to the south, I love it.

Also two days ago I found out that I was literally the fifth best person in my department. So because I said a thing that people around the world grumble under their breath at work every day, they fired one of the best people in their department. I got a whole dick and they can choke on it.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
They actually didn't though, I mean. Technically.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

FishBulb posted:

They actually didn't though, I mean. Technically.

You ever listen to Jim Cornette talking about leaving Ring of Honor and just throwing in the towel after he had finally lost it for the last time? That's me right now. It was a sixty minute broadway. I was HBK and they were Butt the SHitman Fart

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Coffee And Pie posted:

If it makes you feel any better, I'm probably going to be fired in ~45 days. I even got a talking-to today. Apparently I had too many people go through my line without rewards cards that I couldn't coerce into signing up.

I can't imagine a job where your day to day life involves the word "rewards card."

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I've been promoted twice within the last year because either no one else wants my job or I was the most qualified by method of deduction. Granted it's mostly to pay the bills between freelance work, but every promotion I've ever had was because someone was fired or quit.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Skwirl posted:

I can't imagine a job where your day to day life involves the word "rewards card."

Welcome to Obama's America

You ever listen to Jim Cornette talking about leaving Ring of Honor and just throwing in the towel after he had finally lost it for the last time? That's me right now. It was a sixty minute broadway. I was HBK and they were Butt the SHitman Fart

Well I will never not laugh at that name so you win this round Dickeye

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Dickeye, it sucks that this happened, but "pending investigation" doesn't necessarily mean you're fired. I've had 3 "we need to talk about your future" conversations with my boss, and I've been assured by co-workers that no one get's through one of those (they were about separate incidents, and the last one was over a year ago).

I feel bad for you man, but you shouldn't fly off the handle like that.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Skwirl posted:

They go nuts over it. I had 5 non-rewards customers yesterday, they about flipped a poo poo. There's also a dumbshit catchphrase we're supposed to use when greeting a customer, but I only use that when managers are within earshot, because it's so cheesy.

Anyone want to hire a vaguely amusing writer?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I don't know how anyone does any customer service job that doesn't involve tips. I also don't know how any of those people maintain the slightest veneer of politeness while doing their job.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Coffee And Pie posted:

They go nuts over it. I had 5 non-rewards customers yesterday, they about flipped a poo poo. There's also a dumbshit catchphrase we're supposed to use when greeting a customer, but I only use that when managers are within earshot, because it's so cheesy.

Anyone want to hire a vaguely amusing writer?

Now I feel bad that I refuse those rewards cards all the time, I had no idea that was a thing that people could get fired over

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Now I feel bad that I refuse those rewards cards all the time, I had no idea that was a thing that people could get fired over

Do what I do and use your childhood phone number for them (god knows it's the only one I can remember, I have to look at my phone to tell other people my current phone number).

Or throw your local area code in front of 867-5309.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Skwirl posted:

I don't know how anyone does any customer service job that doesn't involve tips. I also don't know how any of those people maintain the slightest veneer of politeness while doing their job.

It's the same as with tips, they do it because they want money. It's just in this case rather than rudeness leading to no tip, it will lead to no job. It's a less satisfying connection but it's still there.

On a different note I just want to say there's some special sort of special satisfaction that comes with being trained to do some bullshit sales thing and then when you actually start the job realizing no one actually does that except like the manager who still doesn't actually expect you to do it.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

When I was working at Waldenbooks, you needed at least 10 percent of your checkouts to sign up. It seemed like an insanely high number but a surprising amount of people were into it.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Skwirl posted:

Dickeye, it sucks that this happened, but "pending investigation" doesn't necessarily mean you're fired. I've had 3 "we need to talk about your future" conversations with my boss, and I've been assured by co-workers that no one get's through one of those (they were about separate incidents, and the last one was over a year ago).

I feel bad for you man, but you shouldn't fly off the handle like that.

It was either being fired or being busted back down to the phones with no way to ever get promoted back off of them, and I was already planning on job-hunting tomorrow because that call had done me in. I'm good. I'm mad that that conversation even loving took place.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Technically, they can't fire me, but when my 90 days are up, they can choose not to hire me again. As contrast, the last retail job I worked at gave zero shits about rewards cards, so who knows?

Skwirl posted:

The customers are actually all really great. One guy the other day called me Marty McFly...I have no idea why.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Coffee And Pie posted:

Technically, they can't fire me, but when my 90 days are up, they can choose not to hire me again. As contrast, the last retail job I worked at gave zero shits about rewards cards, so who knows?

Oh, is this a training period, or do they do this every 3 months, because if it's the later, that's seriously hosed up. I wouldn't actually worry about it too much if it's a training period, they're just trying to put the fear of god in you.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

That reminds me, if you ever shop at Target be as fast the with the cashiers as you can. Those people get timed and will get a talking to if they get too many slow times. Never mind that most slow times are because of the customer and not the cashier and they don't actually have anything to account for that. It was weird getting trained in techniques to trick the system if anything tripped me up at all. Well, at least in that job, while they kept telling us to push the credit cards, even the people there knew that the Target card was a terrible deal and they couldn't actually base anything on whether we could sell them.

That also reminds me that I ran into someone from the Dominos I used to work at and apparently things got way worse after I was fired. There's new owners and they changed the pay so, while you now get much more when your back at the store, you now get WAY less when you're on the road and this has led to them stop caring about giving you a route that makes good use of your time. They're also installing cameras above the prep station so people can see their pizzas being made online :rolleyes:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

It was either being fired or being busted back down to the phones with no way to ever get promoted back off of them, and I was already planning on job-hunting tomorrow because that call had done me in. I'm good. I'm mad that that conversation even loving took place.

That's corporate thinking at it's finest. "This employee got angry enough about a phone customer that he made a violent comment about phone customers, we don't want to fire him, so we're just going to make his job be entirely handling phone calls instead of splitting his time between that and the part of his job he was good at and we promoted him for."

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Skwirl posted:

That's corporate thinking at it's finest. "This employee got angry enough about a phone customer that he made a violent comment about phone customers, we don't want to fire him, so we're just going to make his job be entirely handling phone calls instead of splitting his time between that and the part of his job he was good at and we promoted him for."

And now you know why I told them to save their time.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Skwirl posted:

Oh, is this a training period, or do they do this every 3 months, because if it's the later, that's seriously hosed up. I wouldn't actually worry about it too much if it's a training period, they're just trying to put the fear of god in you.

It's the first, but I think they can do the latter too. And I really hope so. Ugh, I'm so done with corporate retail jobs.

Also, I saw this on my facebook feed, which one of you is writing for the Washington Post?

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

lol and this company put you in charge of training people

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

zVxTeflon posted:

lol and this company put you in charge of training people

Yeah it turns out that I'm actually good at doing the job despite the fact that I hate the customers much like everyone in every customer service job ever whoaaaaaaaa furthermore choke on my sac you toad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Yes its corporate americas fault you cant control yourself from being a retard for 8 consecutive hours a day

• Locked thread