Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

FAU is our Kelly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
I think my solution would have to be that I add more traps to the Tomb of Horrors.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

FactsAreUseless posted:

There's no argument, I was just stating the fact of what storygames are vs. RPGs.

If only they weren't stupid, arbitrary categories designed entirely to establish nerd superiority over others. "Storygames" and RPG's are the exact same thing, the only thing that makes a difference is approach and playstyle.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

PurpleXVI posted:

If only they weren't stupid, arbitrary categories designed entirely to establish nerd superiority over others. "Storygames" and RPG's are the exact same thing, the only thing that makes a difference is approach and playstyle.

Imma let you finish, but first I'm gonna laugh at you too

scissorman
Feb 7, 2011
Ramrod XTreme

SunAndSpring posted:

I think my solution would have to be that I add more traps to the Tomb of Horrors.

You could try to find Grimtooth's traps; those should be appropriately ridiculous.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Evil Mastermind posted:

All RPGs are storygames because all RPGs generate stories. All storygames are RPGs because they're games where you play a role.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

PurpleXVI posted:

Actually, they're not arbitrary, and they're important: RPGs are games in which you play a role, storygames are games in which you take a role in a story. It's not complicated.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

RPG: I am Hrothgar, King of Axes, and because of this, I will make the game happen.

Storygame: You are Hrothgar, King of Axes, and here is what happens to you.

True gamer: I prefer the former.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

FactsAreUseless posted:

RPG: I am Hrothgar, King of Axes, and because of this, I will make the game happen.

lmao

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

that's what it means? do i want to be hrothgar? :ohdear:

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Lord Frisk posted:

that's what it means? do i want to be hrothgar? :ohdear:
Do you like axes?

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

yes, but i prefer smoking pipes and trilbys

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

FactsAreUseless posted:

Show me your honor, Hrothgar

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Captain Foo posted:

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Captain Foo posted:

why does every Vampire game turn into a sex thing?

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.
well, why does every Vampire turn into a sex thing? :colbert:

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Ronwayne posted:

well, why does every Vampire turn into a sex thing? :colbert:
Cain stabbed his brother Abel from behind.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

His curse trickled down for millennia.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.
Poz my neg Assamite

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Are you okay, FAU? I'm worried about you. :ohdear:

ReiDuran
Oct 6, 2014

FactsAreUseless posted:

Actually, they're not arbitrary, and they're important: RPGs are games in which you play a role, storygames are games in which you take a role in a story. It's not complicated.

Are

Are you serious, here? That is the exact same thing.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

OK. So every single game I've played normally called a Storygame from My Life With Master (the game for which the term Storygame was invented) through Monsterhearts (which calls itself a Storygame on the cover) is an RPG. On the other hand by your definition Dragonlance, and almost all published 2e adventures and Paizo adventure paths are Storygames. (As for that matter are White Wolf modules).

I do hope that you are trolling us here rather than have been listening to the RPG Pundit.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

neonchameleon posted:

I do hope that you are trolling us here rather than have been listening to the RPG Pundit.
It never is not amusing seeing people fall for FAU's antics.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

MadScientistWorking posted:

To be fair, it's hard not to fall for it when just a thread over you can probably find someone who would say the exact same thing but be entirely serious.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

ReiDuran posted:

Are

Are you serious, here? That is the exact same thing.

:laffo:

OtspIII
Sep 22, 2002

FactsAreUseless posted:

There's no argument, I was just stating the fact of what storygames are vs. RPGs.

All this, but unironically.

Kind of.

Like, "I'm playing this to simulate running into fun challenges and steal a bunch of gold" is fundamentally a different thing than "I'm playing this to tell a story about a guy who has a bunch of adventures", but pretty much all RPGs/Storygames support and encourage both, and the fun of RPGs comes largely from constantly transitioning between the two modes mid-play. Different games emphasize and support each of the two to different degrees, and even more than that different players favor one or the other mode.

Basically, the distinction between RPGs and Storygames is real, but it lives more in players than games, and tends to be pretty fluid even then.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

OtspIII posted:

All this, but unironically.

Kind of.

Like, "I'm playing this to simulate running into fun challenges and steal a bunch of gold" is fundamentally a different thing than "I'm playing this to tell a story about a guy who has a bunch of adventures", but pretty much all RPGs/Storygames support and encourage both, and the fun of RPGs comes largely from constantly transitioning between the two modes mid-play. Different games emphasize and support each of the two to different degrees, and even more than that different players favor one or the other mode.

Basically, the distinction between RPGs and Storygames is real, but it lives more in players than games, and tends to be pretty fluid even then.

it isn't, and a lot of games go wrong in thinking that there's a difference between the two, imo

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Don't make me emptyquote myself again. <:mad:>

OtspIII
Sep 22, 2002

Effectronica posted:

it isn't, and a lot of games go wrong in thinking that there's a difference between the two, imo

You don't see a difference between problem-solving and story-telling? I don't think they're at odds with each other, but I don't think they're the same thing.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

OtspIII posted:

You don't see a difference between problem-solving and story-telling? I don't think they're at odds with each other, but I don't think they're the same thing.

The vast majority of stories, and 99.9% of stories with plots, are about solving problems to get rewards. A dungeoncrawl is very highly procedural and probably wouldn't make good TV, but it's still ultimately a story about how a set of characters go and do something that is created by the process of solving these problems and getting those rewards. I guess you could have purely faceless pieces you move around and which you don't invest in as yours, but that's not something that's really been seen since before OD&D in RPGs, and is largely relegated to certain kinds of board game, many of which still have some player investment in their little characters. But a lot of people tend to assume that there is a gap, because we think of stories largely in terms of dramas. But, hell, if your characters have any kind of interaction or you crack jokes, it's basically an episode of Law and Order set in a dungeon.

EDIT: This is actually not a "grog" thing, really, because it's something just about every major RPG-theory group (this is mostly publishers/fanbases) is guilty of. We value certain kinds of stories over others and we let these prejudices influence how we think about RPGs and the stories we create with them.

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011
So, 5d4 vs 3d6 vs 2d10 3d7 vs 10d2. What's the superior set?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

GrizzlyCow posted:

4dF :smuggo:

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

MadScientistWorking posted:

ProfessorCirno posted:

FAU is our Kelly

I mean I literally tried to say so at the top of this page.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
fau, you're a treasure

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

GrizzlyCow posted:

What is the goal?

OtspIII
Sep 22, 2002

Effectronica posted:

The vast majority of stories, and 99.9% of stories with plots, are about solving problems to get rewards.

I don't know, I feel like there's a pretty fundamental experiential difference between when I'm intentionally leading my character down a doomed path in Fiasco and when I'm trying to figure out how to trick an ogre into telling me where the dragon's hoard is. Stories definitely come out of both of the two situations, and the stories might even be kind of similar if poo poo goes bad with the ogre, but in one the story is my focus and in the other it's a by-product.

Like, there's stories and then there's stuff happening. A story is when you take stuff that happened and then organize it to speak to some larger issue. A person talking to another person and then getting beaten up isn't a story, while a person who thinks they're smarter than they really are who tries to trick a guy into a scam and gets their rear end beat over it is.

Or maybe that is what you call a story. This is kind of a frustrating thing to talk about because every circle I've moved in has used different (usually opposite) words for different parts of this. There are plots, stories, narratives, and events, and everyone seems to use different words to talk about different things. I hope I'm making the distinction between "unordered events" and "a structured narrative" clear, though. I think that when people try to make the distinction between RPGs and Storygames they're making the distinction between play that focuses on interacting with raw events versus ones that interact with narrative arcs.

And again, you're almost always going to be dealing with both modes in a game. But I think there is a difference between taking an action because you want the treasure versus taking an action because you think it and its fallout will have interesting things to say about the nature of wanting treasure, even if in both cases I narrate taking the exact same actions in the same ways.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
they're both stories. different stories, with differing amounts of focus, but they're still stories dude :v:

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011

Zereth posted:

What is the goal?

Dungeons and Dragons, my friend. Dungeons and Dragons.

What is the best set of dice for Dungeons and Dragons? Well, it is obviously 6d4-3d2 and 4d6-4d1, but a man has only so many dice.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

OtspIII posted:

I don't know, I feel like there's a pretty fundamental experiential difference between when I'm intentionally leading my character down a doomed path in Fiasco and when I'm trying to figure out how to trick an ogre into telling me where the dragon's hoard is. Stories definitely come out of both of the two situations, and the stories might even be kind of similar if poo poo goes bad with the ogre, but in one the story is my focus and in the other it's a by-product.

Like, there's stories and then there's stuff happening. A story is when you take stuff that happened and then organize it to speak to some larger issue. A person talking to another person and then getting beaten up isn't a story, while a person who thinks they're smarter than they really are who tries to trick a guy into a scam and gets their rear end beat over it is.

Or maybe that is what you call a story. This is kind of a frustrating thing to talk about because every circle I've moved in has used different (usually opposite) words for different parts of this. There are plots, stories, narratives, and events, and everyone seems to use different words to talk about different things. I hope I'm making the distinction between "unordered events" and "a structured narrative" clear, though. I think that when people try to make the distinction between RPGs and Storygames they're making the distinction between play that focuses on interacting with raw events versus ones that interact with narrative arcs.

And again, you're almost always going to be dealing with both modes in a game. But I think there is a difference between taking an action because you want the treasure versus taking an action because you think it and its fallout will have interesting things to say about the nature of wanting treasure, even if in both cases I narrate taking the exact same actions in the same ways.

I mean, Fiasco is very, very different in how it does things, because it uses lots of distancing effects, so I dunno how good an example it is :v:.

I think this really deserves its own thread, but I'll say that I'd personally say (boy that's an ugly phrase) that a structured narrative, as you're describing it, is sort of a danger zone when it comes to a game's quality. Because on the one hand, I do believe it's possible to start out with "We're gonna use themes x, y, and z in this campaign" and have it work, but there's also the danger (and this is why I dislike fail-forward) of cutting away what makes RPG stories genuinely fascinating by killing the real suspense that emerges through play.

More importantly, I think that what you're describing as two modes are more about how you play the character rather than the game. In the events mode, you're acting your character and serving as audience to everyone else, whereas in the narrative mode you're acting your character while also serving as audience/director to your own performance. I think there's something to formalizing this split, but I dunno whether it says anything meaningful beyond the different ways people play characters. Because I, personally, tend to operated in the narrative mode when playing, but only partway, because I like to play comedic characters, and an important part of that is gauging reactions and correcting the performance.

Of course, when you're running a game, you're much more in the narrative mode just because you have to do directorial work by describing things and so on. Shall we take this to its own thread, or PMs if you'd prefer?

Effectronica fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Mar 17, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

GrizzlyCow posted:

(4-20)

• Locked thread