Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.

Chalets the Baka posted:

Is there room for negotiations if you're dealing with a public university? I'm looking at Glassdoor and all of the interview testimonials on there say that the university was not willing to negotiate on salary. The salary for the position is 15% lower than the area's average. I looked up the salary information for positions at the university and other people in the same department are being paid at least 22% more than the advertised salary. I don't want to scuttle any opportunity by trying to negotiate, but 15% below average is pretty low.

In my experience with universities (both I and my wife have worked for them), public universities pay better than private universities, while both are probably lower than comparable jobs in the private sector. I've never heard of negotiation over salary at a university in regular staff positions, and I would guess it's more likely there being some room for negotiation in middle and upper management positions. However, benefits and time off were always better. The best insurance and time off benefits I've ever had were when I was employed at a university, not to mention free or discounted tuition. See if that's something you can take into consideration and if the benefits package is worth the lower pay.

Many of the positions at a public university will be based on a specific wage scale that is set in place by the administration and any appointments have to likely be approved by the board of trustees.

The Shep fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Mar 12, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

asur posted:

The company doesn't really care about COLA so bringing it up is at best irrelevant and given that they give you a COLA adjustment benefit is probably a negative. I think it would be much more persuasive to argue for an increase because the new job is more advanced, I'm assuming that means more responsibility. I would also recommend that you ask for more than 3k if you're at the bottom of the salary range and it would be helpful if you had at the very least salary comparisons for the new city.

Yeah a important part of the negotiation process is doing research and other methods to ballpark the possible top range for the position.

OatmealRocks
Jul 6, 2006
Burrp!

Deviant posted:

They exist. Apex Systems.

I also copied that last email to his boss, and about an hour later I got a much more polite apology.

In Florida? Include Insight Global and KForce.

xie
Jul 29, 2004

I GET UPSET WHEN PEOPLE SPEND THEIR MONEY ON WASTEFUL THINGS THAT I DONT APPROVE OF :capitalism:
I believe I have my current employer by the balls, I hate my job, and I want to extract as much money from them as possible.

We are a team set up like this:

Manager
Senior Technician (Me)
Technician
Technician
Technician
Preperation Tech (1 year contract employee)
College Co-Op (going away after this cycle, too expensive)
Intern (a new one every 6 mo, but free)

Two of the "Technicians" on my team have quit in 2015. Both rank below me, but do not really need my assistance for much as they were here before I arrived. Both of their spots are now open, and as the Sr Tech everything flows through me - all training, "How do Is?", mistakes, technical escaltions, etc.

The team currently looks like this:

Manager
Me
Technician (the weakest of our 3 permanent techs, he leans on me heavily)
Vacant (Will need intensive training)
Vacant (Will need intensive Training)
Preparation Tech (Non-technical former warehouse manager hired for politcs, needs intensive training)
Intern (Needs intensive supervision/training)
Contractor (Needs intensive support/training)
Technician from another department (OK after training, but we're getting a new loaned tech who will need... intensive support/training)

Basically the department is my manager, myself, and our weakest tech. If I left they would be well and truly hosed, it would probably sink the entire business units Q2 and Q3 goals.

As I said above, I hate my job. I want to leave desperately. But until then, what's the best way to go about extracting money from them? I have received no raises (except a weird already agreed upon at hiring one) since I've started here besides my annual union raises. I'm not sure how to proceed, if sitting them down and going "Yo I'm gonna leave, make me an offer" is best, or "I need this many dollars" or to leave it vague "I need more money" etc.

The one thing I can't do is go get another offer and expect them to match. I'd just take the other offer, I don't like this job. I'm basically betting against myself that I can't find another position in <6 mo (a decent bet, I want to stay at the organization if not in this unit) and trying to get as much money while I'm here as possible.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

xie posted:

I believe I have my current employer by the balls, I hate my job, and I want to extract as much money from them as possible.

Manager
Senior Technician (Me)
Technician
Technician
Technician

Two of the "Technicians" on my team have quit in 2015. Both rank below me, but do not really need my assistance for much as they were here before I arrived. Both of their spots are now open, and as the Sr Tech everything flows through me - all training, "How do Is?", mistakes, technical escaltions, etc.

Manager
Me
Preparation Tech (Non-technical former warehouse manager hired for politcs, needs intensive training)
Technician from another department (OK after training, but we're getting a new loaned tech who will need... intensive support/training)

Basically the department is my manager, myself, and our weakest tech. If I left they would be well and truly hosed, it would probably sink the entire business units Q2 and Q3 goals.

As I said above, I hate my job. I want to leave desperately. But until then, what's the best way to go about extracting money from them? I have received no raises (except a weird already agreed upon at hiring one) since I've started here besides my annual union raises. I'm not sure how to proceed, if sitting them down and going "Yo I'm gonna leave, make me an offer" is best, or "I need this many dollars" or to leave it vague "I need more money" etc.

The one thing I can't do is go get another offer and expect them to match. I'd just take the other offer, I don't like this job. I'm basically betting against myself that I can't find another position in <6 mo (a decent bet, I want to stay at the organization if not in this unit) and trying to get as much money while I'm here as possible.

If you hate your job then go get another one. Why put so much effort digging for money from a place you don't want to be. If you're as good at what you do as you say, it should be relatively easy for you to secure a competitive alternative. Short of hunting, and particularly because you're in a union, your option for getting a raise is basically nil.

xie
Jul 29, 2004

I GET UPSET WHEN PEOPLE SPEND THEIR MONEY ON WASTEFUL THINGS THAT I DONT APPROVE OF :capitalism:
I can absolutely ask for a raise, the union doesn't proclude me from that at all.

I don't want to leave the employer, I just want to leave my job/group. I've been trying to leave for >6mo but in that time only one position that's appealing to me has opened. I'm basically betting that I will be here at least 6mo anyway and want to get paid more while I do it. I'm also willing to sign on for 6 (or maybe 12) months guaranteed for money, because they basically can't afford to lose me right now.

Leaving my employer would only be worth it for so much money that the entire thing is moot, nobody will ever pay me that much. There's an educational benefit that I can't match anywhere else that has a really high value to me.

xie fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Mar 13, 2015

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
You have to be prepared to leave or you will not get squat. I had my largest counteroffer 5 days before the end of my two weeks.

Lil Miss Clackamas
Jan 25, 2013

ich habe aids
Do promotions have to be bestowed upon you, or is there a good way to broach the topic of a promotion? Since I started my job, I've been groomed to take over the next position above me. Last December, there were some layoffs and the person in the position above me I was being trained for was laid off. They have not planned to replace that position with anyone else, probably because I'm still supposed to be poised to take it over. However, I've taken over a lot of responsibilities from that position, and my workload has increased. I really like where I work, I'm on extremely good terms with my boss and coworkers, and the issues that led to the layoffs have been cleared up. I'd like to bring up the idea of moving into that role with my boss during my performance review at the end of the year.

I know the average salary for the position in my area, I have some vague idea of what the guy above me was making based on what he told me, and my last performance review was very good. While I understand having another offer on hand is the ultimate leverage, I don't want to feel like I have to be threatening to jump ship to get ahead.

Serious Cephalopod
Jul 1, 2007

This is a Serious post for a Serious thread.

Bloop Bloop Bloop
Pillbug
When's the last time you brought it up?

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Chalets the Baka posted:

Do promotions have to be bestowed upon you, or is there a good way to broach the topic of a promotion? Since I started my job, I've been groomed to take over the next position above me. Last December, there were some layoffs and the person in the position above me I was being trained for was laid off. They have not planned to replace that position with anyone else, probably because I'm still supposed to be poised to take it over. However, I've taken over a lot of responsibilities from that position, and my workload has increased. I really like where I work, I'm on extremely good terms with my boss and coworkers, and the issues that led to the layoffs have been cleared up. I'd like to bring up the idea of moving into that role with my boss during my performance review at the end of the year.

I know the average salary for the position in my area, I have some vague idea of what the guy above me was making based on what he told me, and my last performance review was very good. While I understand having another offer on hand is the ultimate leverage, I don't want to feel like I have to be threatening to jump ship to get ahead.

Asking for a promotion / title bump is a totally reasonable part of your performance discussion to have. Frankly if it's a while from now it's absolutely something you can discuss. Be factual about the workload and responsibilities and you can also refer to parts of your job that might be made easier with the conferred authority of the new position.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

xie posted:

Manager
Senior Technician (Me)
Technician
Technician
Technician

Manager
Me

Aaaaa get out of my self-insert fanfic, this is basically me except there's another half-step between me and manager. We've had four people at or around my level leave since last August and in that time only reloaded two of those slots due to budget issues. I'm a Sr Technician in action if not in title and also not of a fan of my job, it must be contagious.

I've actually said the same thing to myself that you're saying, about wanting to stay with the company but not in your current department, but unless you're getting strong signals that something will open up soon then why wait? You don't know that something else will open up there but you do know that you'll still be unhappy working your current position. If they can't beat another company's offer then maybe they don't think you're that important, and that's their mistake to make. It sounds like your department at least is having a tough time holding on to people, you leaving might be a wake-up call that they really need. Think of it as helping the people who come after you. And even if something else did open up in the company, would they let you switch over if you're holding your department together?

At least, that's the stuff I tell myself about my own situation to rationalize my own departure at a future date. I really wanted to move from QC/QA to our R&D/product development labs but after two flat growth years in a row they cut staff in those groups and probably won't have room for a while, and the low growth means they aren't paying me enough to stick around and wait. Unless you're going to feel guilty for walking out now, then leave if you're so unhappy; I'm only sticking around for now because I got put in charge of an inter-departmental project for which I would feel guilty leaving. If you're as important as you say you are then they should be doing more to hold on to you, especially if your departure really would tank without you.

LorneReams posted:

You have to be prepared to leave or you will not get squat. I had my largest counteroffer 5 days before the end of my two weeks.

They made you a counteroffer after you said you were leaving? Is that normal, and do people take counteroffers in those situations if they've already agreed to work somewhere else?

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Mar 16, 2015

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

C-Euro posted:

They made you a counteroffer after you said you were leaving? Is that normal, and do people take counteroffers in those situations if they've already agreed to work somewhere else?

In my case, I said I had a better offer and gave my two weeks. They made an offer that wasn't even close. A week later they made a much larger counteroffer. I went to my new job and gave them a chance to counter. They said something like "If you really have that type of offer, then you should really take it." So I did.

xie
Jul 29, 2004

C-Euro posted:

Aaaaa get out of my self-insert fanfic, this is basically me except there's another half-step between me and manager. We've had four people at or around my level leave since last August and in that time only reloaded two of those slots due to budget issues. I'm a Sr Technician in action if not in title and also not of a fan of my job, it must be contagious.

It's a real shame, this job turned out to be very different from how they sold it to me in 2013. There have been a number of ugly HR interactions around this deception and some other in-writing promises that never happened. They're water under the bridge now mostly, but I've felt unhappy with this role almost since I took it.

quote:

I've actually said the same thing to myself that you're saying, about wanting to stay with the company but not in your current department, but unless you're getting strong signals that something will open up soon then why wait?

The educational benefit from working here is unmatchable, unfortunately. Ie don't work in the public sector and don't really want to work in the public sector unless the money was insane. We are the 3rd largest employer in the state, so there are no "strong signals" that something will open up. Something could open up at one of the other schools (I'm very well thought of around the university and used to work at one of the other schools, I only left for this 2-step promotion) and I'd never hear about it until it gets posted.

I also think I sell better internally than externally for what I want to move into. If I get an interview for a position I've never not been a finalist for the job, but spitting your resume out into the ether is a bit tougher. Work/life balance is important to me, and there are a lot of risks moving to another employer. Other groups in the same business unit are significantly less awful/toxic than mine, and the rest of the university is like working for an entirely different employer. I don't expect any issues I have to carry over, they're all with this specific role.

quote:

You don't know that something else will open up there but you do know that you'll still be unhappy working your current position. If they can't beat another company's offer then maybe they don't think you're that important, and that's their mistake to make. It sounds like your department at least is having a tough time holding on to people, you leaving might be a wake-up call that they really need. Think of it as helping the people who come after you. And even if something else did open up in the company, would they let you switch over if you're holding your department together?

They can't stop me from leaving, the Union would go apeshit on them, and they're aware that I'm looking forward and this was always a bit of a stop gap. I'm super glad every single day I didn't get my manager's job, but I was the other finalist for it. They know I have bigger aspirations and that this job is below me skills wise, and are supportive of me moving on when the opportunity arises.

Since we're not public sector it's not a matter of they won't match, it's a matter of they can't match. Public sector money just blows Edu money out of the water. It's mostly that I have a history here, I'm a known quantity. I've been a top performer at every job I've held, I'm well liked across multiple schools and business units. I'm 28 and actually do have the Senior title (and I'm no fool, I'm not necessarily better than the 50+ year olds who aren't senior, it's certainly just a title) and the organization's name recognition is highly valuable. I would have trouble putting a dollar amount on it but I think reaching Management or a significantly more technical role while still here will pay extreme dividends later in my career.

quote:

At least, that's the stuff I tell myself about my own situation to rationalize my own departure at a future date. I really wanted to move from QC/QA to our R&D/product development labs but after two flat growth years in a row they cut staff in those groups and probably won't have room for a while, and the low growth means they aren't paying me enough to stick around and wait. Unless you're going to feel guilty for walking out now, then leave if you're so unhappy; I'm only sticking around for now because I got put in charge of an inter-departmental project for which I would feel guilty leaving. If you're as important as you say you are then they should be doing more to hold on to you, especially if your departure really would tank without you.

I would feel a bit guilty leaving. They just sent me for a $3,500 training (hey, poo poo happens, but I'm human and I admit it plays a part) and as the lead tech on this project team I would feel bad leaving them in the lurch. I'm not over-stating my importance. I'm a big believer in "the job existed before you, it will exist after you" except the job did not exist before me. I created this role, and if I left I don't think there is anyone nearly as skilled as me waiting in the wings (the two guys who both just left would be the ones) and the entire business unit may collapse. My manager is not capable of training 3 new techs + contractors/borrowed techs on top of her current duties. The lack of documentation is a symptom of why I hate my job, I'm quite good at documenting and happy to do it, we just don't have the time so it's never happened. You also can't document my technical skills (flat out I'm one of the most technical people in the organization, that's why I want to leave, I'm bored out of my mind), so the entire team would suffer not having a rock-solid escalation point.

I'm not looking to sit across the table and say "PAY ME" with my dick out, because I don't have another offer, but I guess what I'm looking for is "I will stay on for 6 or 12 months guaranteed to keep this business unit running" and am not sure how to approach that. Do I tell them I'm unhappy and want to leave? Do I just say that I want more money and leave the 6/12mo thing out of it and keep looking? I don't want to blow the little leverage I have over them.

xie fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Mar 16, 2015

asur
Dec 28, 2012
Do you have increases responsibilities compared to your last raise or when you were hired? If so I'd based the negotiation on that. Anything that comes close to pay me or I'll leave doesn't work if you don't have another offer and even if you do it may come back to bite you later. I don't know where you work, but I think you're also under estimating how easy it is for a manager to tank a transfer.

asur fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Mar 16, 2015

xie
Jul 29, 2004

The only raises I have received:

Aug 2013 - Hired with written promise of raise when title changed (this took over a year)
Sept 2013 - Union mandated COL increase
Aug 2014 - Raise promised to me at time of hire that took 14 months to actually receive. Was not performance based.
Oct 2014 - Union mandated COL increase

There is absolutely nothing in my contract/union rules that stops me from asking for more money, it's not that rigid a union structure at all.

The other question is tough to answer. The long and short of it was I left my last position for the 2-jump promotion to Senior Tech in July/Aug 2013. It took them until Sept 2014 to finally give me the Senior Tech title, and the way overdue raise (promised at hiring).

I'd say a better way to put it is that the expectations, hours, and duties of this job are significantly different than how they sold it to me. They told me it was a 35h job with occasional OT, I regularly work ~50 hours per week. While supervising/training is always part of being "Senior" staff, I was never expecting to be training basically the entire department at once.

I have no fear that they will tank me going for a new position. I do not even need to go through them to obtain a new position. I would have to go through (internally, but still) the entire HR process to get a new job, it's not like I can just "put in" for a transfer. The other group would make me a formal offer through HR. If need be I don't even need my current bosses as references. My last boss (and his boss) both love me and have much better titles than my current bosses. *shrug* My bosses would only find out about the new position at the reference stage, and they can't give me a bad reference.

xie fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Mar 16, 2015

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Chalets the Baka posted:

I don't want to feel like I have to be threatening to jump ship to get ahead.

Unfortunately in many/most situations you kind of have to, but that doesn't mean that you necessarily have to literally threaten to leave.

But by asking for a raise and backing it up with data about what your role and responsibilities can earn you at other companies, you're kind of implicitly saying that "hey, I think I'm worth more than you pay me and I'm not going to stick around being underpaid forever." If management doesn't get the hint, then it might be time to think more seriously about actually going out and getting other offers.

That said, the most surefire way to secure a large promotion/raise anymore is to jump jobs, especially early-mid career. Companies are most willing and fastest to negotiate during the new hire process, especially in a high-skill industry, whereas they'll drag their feet and be non-committal about promotions or anything more than an annual COL adjustment (if that). I doubled my salary within 3 years by jumping jobs twice, but now I've been at the same place for almost 3 years and until something really incredibly awesome comes along I'm not intending to leave in the near future.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Mar 16, 2015

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Guinness posted:

Unfortunately in many/most situations you kind of have to, but that doesn't mean that you necessarily have to literally threaten to leave.

But by asking for a raise and backing it up with data about what your role and responsibilities can earn you at other companies, you're kind of implicitly saying that "hey, I think I'm worth more than you pay me and I'm not going to stick around being underpaid forever." If management doesn't get the hint, then it might be time to think more seriously about actually going out and getting other offers.

That said, the most surefire way to secure a large promotion/raise anymore is to jump jobs, especially early-mid career. Companies are most willing and fastest to negotiate during the new hire process, especially in a high-skill industry, whereas they'll drag their feet and be non-committal about promotions or anything more than an annual COL adjustment (if that). I doubled my salary within 3 years by jumping jobs twice, but now I've been at the same place for almost 3 years and until something really incredibly awesome comes along I'm not intending to leave in the near future.

Speaking the truth. Two years ago I left job A, and I'm about to leave job B for job C. job C will pay 100% more than job A. job C has a lot of growth potential and pays highly for skill, so I'll probably be there for a while, but the easiest way to get more money is to leave the company.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
I'd like some input on the following situation: I have been contacted by a recruiter offering an attractive position. I sent him my CV, we had a brief phone interview, he presented my profile to the company in question, and they find me interesting.

What they'd like to do now is a) a phone interview and b) send me a "test" (I'm assuming a (set of) programming problem(s)) which should take 6-8 hours to complete. There's no firm limit to how much time I can spend, as far as I understand it. I can have it all weekend if I like.

The recruiter is one of those people who somehow manages to be able to have an entire conversation without giving concrete, solid answers, so to be honest I'm not entirely sure about the order of things. To me it seems weird to claim a day of my time without having even seen me in person, and to be honest I'm a little miffed on principle. I'm a single guy, so I have all the time in the world, but what if I had three screaming kids and a lawn to mow?

What's the SOP for tests/evaluations like this?

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Dango Bango posted:

I've got a situation with quite a bit going on:

I work for a national insurance company. My office is closing in several years as part of a reorganization of office locations throughout the US. They posted the first wave of job openings in the go-forward locations and I applied and interviewed for a senior-level opening in mid-February. Right after interviewing I had my year-end review and found out I was promoted to senior level anyway. So it became a lateral move in title, although the new position is a more advanced job.

I received an offer for the new job today. The offer is the bottom number of the pay band for this job and area classification. Averaging several cost of living calculators' results shows I would be making almost $3k less than my equivalent salary in the new location. There is a monthly COLA payment for the first year that I qualify for, but I'm not sure what that is at this time. Other benefits all stay the same.

I would like to get the offer bumped up by that $3k difference. Any advice as to the best way to go about doing this? Call and explain my position to the HR rep who offered? I've never been in a position where I had leverage to counter before.

Update on my situation: After asking for $6k more than the offer at the end of last week, the recruiter called me back to say they won't adjust the original offer. Reason being the offer was 19% above my current salary and they had to get "special approval" from HR for that offer. Even though 10% of the offer is an adjustment for pay area and 8% is to get me to the bottom of the pay band I'm supposed to be in. I'm pissed.

The hiring manager's getting back with HR tomorrow morning and they are going to contact me after that. It's not looking good, but we'll see if they can come up with something. The others who have applied for this job from my office have all turned it down already -- that's how badly this is being handled.

No bid COVID
Jul 22, 2007

bolind posted:

I'd like some input on the following situation: I have been contacted by a recruiter offering an attractive position. I sent him my CV, we had a brief phone interview, he presented my profile to the company in question, and they find me interesting.

What they'd like to do now is a) a phone interview and b) send me a "test" (I'm assuming a (set of) programming problem(s)) which should take 6-8 hours to complete. There's no firm limit to how much time I can spend, as far as I understand it. I can have it all weekend if I like.

The recruiter is one of those people who somehow manages to be able to have an entire conversation without giving concrete, solid answers, so to be honest I'm not entirely sure about the order of things. To me it seems weird to claim a day of my time without having even seen me in person, and to be honest I'm a little miffed on principle. I'm a single guy, so I have all the time in the world, but what if I had three screaming kids and a lawn to mow?

For what it's worth, I had a programming test for a job I was applying for after grad school. I was sent the test after one phone interview with the hiring manager. It took roughly 8 hours of solid work to finish.

Sounds like a real pain, doesn't it? On the other hand, I worked through the test diligently and in the end, it put me past other candidates that hosed up one thing or another (apparently one candidate wrote an error-checking algorithm that left an error in, and submitted a graph of the data set that was flat except for one huge spike, for example.) It also assuaged any doubts the hiring manager had about hiring someone straight out of grad school.

Essentially, doing a good job on that test got me the job. I'm beating my graduate class average total comp (which I'm sure has a bit of survivorship bias, nobody really wants to report a lovely income, and unemployed doesn't count as 0) by 25%.

I'd say it was definitely worth the time.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

Dango Bango posted:

Update on my situation: After asking for $6k more than the offer at the end of last week, the recruiter called me back to say they won't adjust the original offer. Reason being the offer was 19% above my current salary and they had to get "special approval" from HR for that offer. Even though 10% of the offer is an adjustment for pay area and 8% is to get me to the bottom of the pay band I'm supposed to be in. I'm pissed.

The hiring manager's getting back with HR tomorrow morning and they are going to contact me after that. It's not looking good, but we'll see if they can come up with something. The others who have applied for this job from my office have all turned it down already -- that's how badly this is being handled.

You appear to be in a terrible negotiating position, your prospective employer knows both your current salary and that you won't have a job in X months/years if you don't accept. The only recourse you have is to get another job offer.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

bolind posted:

In the design community this is referred to as "spec work" and it is considered unethical. You should be compensated for anything that requires more than an hour of your time (i.e. anything more than a trivial idiot screening) or anything even remotely similar to what the company does.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

MickeyFinn posted:

You appear to be in a terrible negotiating position, your prospective employer knows both your current salary and that you won't have a job in X months/years if you don't accept. The only recourse you have is to get another job offer.

It's the same company so of course they're going to know my salary and situation. I actually have quite a bit of leverage -- my two biggest agencies want me to continue to work with them and I have been performing well and building a ton of momentum in my territory.

Add to that they're desperate for people since it's a new operation. Like I mentioned, they've had everyone in my office who applied turn them down so far. Also, it's incredibly to their benefit to keep me on as my territory is crucial for the state's results.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

Kobayashi posted:

In the design community this is referred to as "spec work" and it is considered unethical. You should be compensated for anything that requires more than an hour of your time (i.e. anything more than a trivial idiot screening) or anything even remotely similar to what the company does.

In the design field I suspect there's a bigger chance they're doing it to get some work out of you than in programming. I would still probably balk at anything that took more than hour or two especially if I hadn't met with them first and wasn't sure I even wanted the job.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

Dango Bango posted:

It's the same company so of course they're going to know my salary and situation. I actually have quite a bit of leverage -- my two biggest agencies want me to continue to work with them and I have been performing well and building a ton of momentum in my territory.

Add to that they're desperate for people since it's a new operation. Like I mentioned, they've had everyone in my office who applied turn them down so far. Also, it's incredibly to their benefit to keep me on as my territory is crucial for the state's results.

Perhaps I'm reading this wrong, I'm just a dude on the internets. If you have leverage, it appears you'll have to use it. It appears that the company is happy to let people who don't want to play ball on their terms walk, so they don't seem all that desperate to me. The recruiter has already told you they aren't goint to negotiate and if they thought they were getting a good deal on your labor, even with the extra money, they would have agreed or at least negotiated. Maybe HR is criminally stupid, or has been given unusualy restrictive instructions for hiring because they have to make a lot of hires and don't want the budget to blow up, I don't know. Neither of those bode well for taking a second bite at the negotiating apple. None of this should discourage you from trying.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

MickeyFinn posted:

Perhaps I'm reading this wrong, I'm just a dude on the internets. If you have leverage, it appears you'll have to use it. It appears that the company is happy to let people who don't want to play ball on their terms walk, so they don't seem all that desperate to me. The recruiter has already told you they aren't goint to negotiate and if they thought they were getting a good deal on your labor, even with the extra money, they would have agreed or at least negotiated. Maybe HR is criminally stupid, or has been given unusualy restrictive instructions for hiring because they have to make a lot of hires and don't want the budget to blow up, I don't know. Neither of those bode well for taking a second bite at the negotiating apple. None of this should discourage you from trying.

Would it be tacky or unprofessional to tell my agencies who have told me they want to continue working with me to contact the hiring manager? I'm not speaking from a standpoint of "hey get me a job", but "if you want to continue working with me, contact <hiring manager>".

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

1) IMO, Yes.
2) They probably don't care about working with you enough to do that.
3) What would you even have them say?

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

I figured it would be tacky and it's possible that #2 is the case and everything is just lip service. But I do already have an email from before I even interviewed from my biggest agency saying they want to keep me on.

Appreciate the advice I've gotten from the thread. BFC is a pretty great resource.

Boot and Rally
Apr 21, 2006

8===D
Nap Ghost

Dango Bango posted:

Would it be tacky or unprofessional to tell my agencies who have told me they want to continue working with me to contact the hiring manager? I'm not speaking from a standpoint of "hey get me a job", but "if you want to continue working with me, contact <hiring manager>".

It is tacky to suggest it outright, especially since you have an offer. It can come off as extortion. My strategy was to inform a company that told me "no negotiating" that I was taking another job. The person who actually wanted to hire me found out and the offer was bumped 20% the next day. After two weeks of "we will get back to you". This is why the other offer is so critical, it both establishes value and makes the threat of leaving so credible you don't have to threaten to use it. You have to be honest with yourself about what you want and go with what makes you happiest. You aren't threatening anyone, there is no extortion. You are doing what is right for you.

The email prior to an interview might have been a game of managing your expectations. Did you apply for anything else after you got that email? That might have been their goal.

From reading your posts, you did your homework and knew what you wanted. Excellent. Your negotiating position wasn't that great: you had no alternatives and they knew your salary. You still managed 19%, which is a decent raise. You're moving up in title (though you already had, you now get to keep it). Finally, you are moving to an area where people who do what you do get paid more. You're actually doing pretty good here. As a bonus, you are in a prime position to jump to a higher paying job in a year. Take the job, wait a while and start sending out the applications. Find a new company and when all is said and done you should be looking at a lot more than the 3k you originally wanted.

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.

Dango Bango posted:

I figured it would be tacky and it's possible that #2 is the case and everything is just lip service. But I do already have an email from before I even interviewed from my biggest agency saying they want to keep me on.

Appreciate the advice I've gotten from the thread. BFC is a pretty great resource.

I'm gonna go ahead and sum this up with a twist on an old trader adage:

Your employer can remain irrational longer than you can retain an income.

You need to let go of either your attachment to your present employer, or to your desired income. I'd suggest letting go of the former.

Boot and Rally's advice is spot on. You have a terrible negotiating position, but a crisp opportunity to improve your overall job-seeking position if you will go to another employer. If you take the new position and relocate and then start hunting in the more expensive place, you can get a competing offer. You could take this to your present employers, but I'd just straight up jump ship. You've given them an opportunity to retain your services and they have not taken it.

Trying to use your agencies for negotiating leverage is both unprofessional and tacky. They don't want to deal with your salary negotiations, and you will come off as desperate to keep your position without actually having the ability to go elsewhere.

Sorry, but you're probably going to need to change employers if you want to make more money.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Thanks for the input guys.

They are getting back together to discuss today and are we will go from there (not expecting anything different at this point).

Boot and Rally posted:

As a bonus, you are in a prime position to jump to a higher paying job in a year. Take the job, wait a while and start sending out the applications. Find a new company and when all is said and done you should be looking at a lot more than the 3k you originally wanted.

I don't think I will be able to do this. Since I will be relocating, I have to stay with the company 2 years or I have to repay the relocation package (100% if I leave during the 1st year, 50% during the 2nd). The move is halfway across the country, so there's no way I would be able to afford this.

Dwight Eisenhower posted:

Sorry, but you're probably going to need to change employers if you want to make more money.

This is becoming pretty clear through all of this. Guess I had hoped with them pitching so hard they want people from my office to relocate that I thought they would take care of us to some extent. Should have known better of a corporation.

Dango Bango fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Mar 17, 2015

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Dango Bango posted:

Thanks for the input guys.

They are getting back together to discuss today and are we will go from there (not expecting anything different at this point).

I don't think I will be able to do this. Since I will be relocating, I have to stay with the company 2 years or I have to repay the relocation package (100% if I leave during the 1st year, 50% during the 2nd). The move is halfway across the country, so there's no way I would be able to afford this.

This is becoming pretty clear through all of this. Guess I had hoped with them pitching so hard they want people from my office to relocate that I thought they would take care of us to some extent. Should have known better of a corporation.

Often, although not always, a prospective new employer will be willing to make you whole on any contingencies like a broken relocation deal. It's something you can negotiate for so isn't necessarily a show stopper.

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.

Kalenn Istarion posted:

Often, although not always, a prospective new employer will be willing to make you whole on any contingencies like a broken relocation deal. It's something you can negotiate for so isn't necessarily a show stopper.

To boot, if you're frugal with spending the relocation package you have less you'll need to reimburse. You can always negotiate with new employers to ask for a signing bonus that will cover your liability for the relocation package.

If you make the relocation and start budgeting to pay it back when you arrive you can remove it as a problem looming over your head, freeing you up to pursue other positions.

You're doing a good job of finding obstacles to your future financial success, don't hesitate to look for solutions that enable it as well.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

The labor market has been astonishingly good over the past two years or so, we're starting to have to offer senior level people 50-100k upfront to get them to relocate. Do negotiate on this as much as possible, companies are really willing to throw a lot of cash at helping you sell your house or whatever.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Hey thread,

I got an exciting new 18-month contract-to-hire opportunity. The only caveats the position is hourly and rumor from the grapevine is this a test project. If it fails after 18-months it's over for me and everyone else. I also don't know if my skills would be necessarily transferable to another position outside of the parent company.

My current job is salary with acceptable benefits (PTO,401k,Health). It's a solid gig but I'm already good at what I do any there aren't any growth opportunities.

The recruiter is rushing me to take the position and hourly rate was high but now that I think about it further the lack of benefits makes it incredibly less appealing.

I'm thinking I should negotiate a sign-on bonus but how exactly do I do this? Do I just say I want $X? What's best way to go about this?

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy
:3: I wanted to pop in and say thanks to you guys in this thread, especially Dwight Eisenhower and USSMICHELLEBACHMAN. You guys encouraged me to grow a back bone and not to let myself be taken for granted. I got a job offer a few weeks ago starting at $45K/yr, full time salaried position. I admit that I did not attempt to negotiate past this number to my preferred $55K, but I felt that the amenities would more than make up for it (I also really wanted a job). 3 weeks PTO and benefits (health/dental/vision/hearing) right off the bat, 401K, life insurance, flex spending account, and opportunity to advance. It's also the exact type of company I wanted to start off in and I'm so drat excited to start.

Yes, yes, I know I should have negotiated, not said my number first, etc. but I have been hunting for a permanent job for far too long and I am happy with the trade off. I can get that $55K later.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Transmogrifier posted:

Yes, yes, I know I should have negotiated, not said my number first, etc. but I have been hunting for a permanent job for far too long and I am happy with the trade off. I can get that $55K later.

Congrats on the new job. The jump from 45,000 to 55,000 is 5 years with 4% raises consistently. Not negotiating may have just set you back 5 years. But I know the new-job-excitement so it's understandable!

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Transmogrifier posted:

:3: I wanted to pop in and say thanks to you guys in this thread, especially Dwight Eisenhower and USSMICHELLEBACHMAN. You guys encouraged me to grow a back bone and not to let myself be taken for granted. I got a job offer a few weeks ago starting at $45K/yr, full time salaried position. I admit that I did not attempt to negotiate past this number to my preferred $55K, but I felt that the amenities would more than make up for it (I also really wanted a job). 3 weeks PTO and benefits (health/dental/vision/hearing) right off the bat, 401K, life insurance, flex spending account, and opportunity to advance. It's also the exact type of company I wanted to start off in and I'm so drat excited to start.

Getting properly paid with no full time employment history is hard. I don't know how to do it, sorry.

Do your job well. In a year or two's time use what we teach in this thread to get good offers from other competing employers, then use that as leverage to get a raise to a proper salary. Your BATNA on this position was $0k/year. Your BATNA for all future negotiations is $45k/year. That's already a huge improvement in negotiating leverage.

Don't worry about raise rates equalizing you out to $55k/year, that's only a problem if you stick with the same job come hell or highwater, which, if you've read this thread, you know not to do.

JohnGalt
Aug 7, 2012
So I finalized my offer, to move from hourly to salary, a month ago. They didn't budge on the salary but I got my bonus up from 20% to 40% and my stock to 10% to 20%.

Well, they froze bonuses this year for the company and issued stock at 4 times market value. I guess I should be fortunate I still have a job (work in oil& gas).

Thank you guys for the advice though. It should pay off when things get better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

When I'm going through a recruiter or without one should I bring up salary requirements if they don't?

• Locked thread