Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Funkface
Dec 21, 2009

BonoMan posted:

I just don't understand how, when starting from a very distant 3rd you don't just get balls to the wall aggressive with your mobile policy.

Does Microsoft honestly think they can be competitive with Google and Apple when they're day to day progress is slower than both of them AND they're starting so far behind?

It just boggles my mind.

Or even moving from doing something different to outright copying from both?

I guess a slow beige deflation is preferred to going out with a red hot bang?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

BonoMan posted:

I just don't understand how, when starting from a very distant 3rd you don't just get balls to the wall aggressive with your mobile policy.

Meanwhile my Windows 8 / Windows Phone (7) Apps from 2012 have started getting tons of traction in the last 2 months. I got a check from MS's PubCenter (Ads) for the first time ever. I have been making like $.05 per month and now I'm making something like $15. It's not much but it's my best success on mobile to date and it was stuff I farted out with no effort 3 years ago to play around on the platform. I'm actually considering getting a WP to get back into development now that I'm getting actual money from ads.

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

wookieepelt posted:

Anyone else get the impression that the WP team is like 6 guys that work on it in their spare time?

Yes, and I've read every apologist rationalization on WPCentral. There is simply no excuse for one of the world's richest tech companies, focusing on how critical the future of mobile is, to both be so far behind and so lackadaisical and inept at catching up.

NyxBiker
Sep 24, 2014
I really just hate every single direction Microsoft is taking towards their mobile and PC os's. I might be old fashioned but I'm still stuck on Windows 7 and I won't ever touch anything that has a metro layout or all that crap, on pc or mobile.
Also from what I've seen from a friend the lumias are not that good thing as advertised, yes they seem very smooth but it's quite confusional as an OS.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

NyxBiker posted:

I really just hate every single direction Microsoft is taking towards their mobile and PC os's. I might be old fashioned but I'm still stuck on Windows 7 and I won't ever touch anything that has a metro layout or all that crap, on pc or mobile.
Also from what I've seen from a friend the lumias are not that good thing as advertised, yes they seem very smooth but it's quite confusional as an OS.

As much as I don't like how stagnant Windows Phone can become, it's DEFINITELY not... "confusional?" And is the slickest and easiest to use mobile OS in my opinion.

Also Windows 10 desktop OS is totally awesome and you should use it. They inherited the graphical flat-ness of "metro" and some of the tile layouts, but it's nothing like Windows 8. If you're a 7 holdout like myself you'll love it.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction
At least the slow motion implosion is fun to watch though. Every week there's some new thing happening in the where the platform gets worse. In the old days we wrung our hands over lost functionality in OS upgrades, or the death of hubs. Then a few months ago it was confirmation of no flagships. Then it was Rooms being slaughtered. In the past couple weeks, it's high profile app makers removing their apps from the store. What's next? I have no clue.

I myself thought we'd never get to the point of Microsoft removing live, active, loved, inexpensive/"runs itself" first party functionality from the core OS experience, but here we are. That's the platform we live in.

We all probably would have been a lot happier if Microsoft would have cancelled all their mobile ambitions in 2007 and had just gone with what has clearly the dominant corporate strategy in 2015, which is to focus on their apps for iOS and Android.

Factor Mystic fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Mar 16, 2015

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

I always chuckle thinking back to Ballmer's impotent raging that he was going to just bury Google and Android.

Edit: There it is:

LifeSizePotato fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Mar 16, 2015

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW
:shrug: Win phones are gobbling up market share here, along with Huwaai. Doubled in lots of EU countries in the last year

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Arnold of Soissons posted:

:shrug: Win phones are gobbling up market share here, along with Huwaai. Doubled in lots of EU countries in the last year

Uhh, http://www.winbeta.org/news/windows-phone-holding-steady-western-europe-68-market-share

And a partial list of specific European and non-European countries (apparently these were the countries with numbers they considered the most trustworthy?):

http://www.winbeta.org/news/windows-phone-market-shares-around-world-statisitical-breakdown

quote:

Market share in first half of 2014 and second half of 2014:
Italy: 13.13% to 13.6%
France: 9.57% to 10.2%
Australia: 6.03% to 6.92%
Germany: 6.88% to 6.93%
UK: 9.78% to 8.52%
US: 4.65% to 3.88%
China: <1% and 0.2% lower than that

poo poo's pretty bad. Keep in mind a market share dip of ~1% in the US and UK almost certainly crushes any gains WP made in the other listed countries, too. China is currently exploding in terms of buying phones and WP has essentially 0 share of that, which is just awful.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum

BonoMan posted:

Does Microsoft honestly think they can be competitive with Google and Apple when they're day to day progress is slower than both of them AND they're starting so far behind?

It just boggles my mind.

At this point, with my lovely T Mobile service and bad WP with little functionality or apps, I'd be happy if I could just get out of this contract and find a nice V3 flip phone. Get a pay as I go minute plan and make calls and take 11 minutes to text 'On my way' like it's 2006.

RVProfootballer posted:

Uhh, http://www.winbeta.org/news/windows-phone-holding-steady-western-europe-68-market-share

And a partial list of specific European and non-European countries (apparently these were the countries with numbers they considered the most trustworthy?):

http://www.winbeta.org/news/windows-phone-market-shares-around-world-statisitical-breakdown

poo poo's pretty bad. Keep in mind a market share dip of ~1% in the US and UK almost certainly crushes any gains WP made in the other listed countries, too. China is currently exploding in terms of buying phones and WP has essentially 0 share of that, which is just awful.

"Gobbling up" share? They're a distant 3rd behind Apple, who has literally 4x the market share of Windows.

Also lol who gives a poo poo about phones released in Europe.

lite_sleepr fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Mar 16, 2015

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

wookieepelt posted:

Anyone else get the impression that the WP team is like 6 guys that work on it in their spare time? Also, MS is making too many phones that don't appeal to me as a middle class American. We need an Icon 2!

Is Joe B. the right guy to lead the development? He seems like a decent, laid-back guy any time I've seen him speak, but when poo poo needs done and heads need cracked, sometimes it takes an authoritarian figure to drive the crew to their wits' ends to produce better work.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

"Gobbling up" share? They're a distant 3rd behind Apple, who has literally 4x the market share of Windows.

Also lol who gives a poo poo about phones released in Europe.

Yuuup, the best headlines WP fan sites can come up with are things like "Windows Phone holding steady at x% market share" haha. Presumably Europeans care about it, but more generally I think anyone trying to make the argument that WP is totally about to take off have to pick and choose what countries to pay attention to and try to rationalize it that way. I'm sure WP is doing great in South America...

http://stats.areppim.com/stats/stats_mobiosxtime_sam.htm

:ohdear:

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum
What did Palm phones use?

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

What did Palm phones use?

PalmOS, Windows Mobile and WebOS

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

LifeSizePotato posted:

I always chuckle thinking back to Ballmer's impotent raging that he was going to just bury Google and Android.

Well to be fair, neither of those previous companies exist independently any more, and Google itself isn't as successful with Android as other Android OEMs are. So there's that. But yeah lol.

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

I'm trying to think of a customer base that's been more pissed on than Windows Phone customers and I'm really struggling. At this point Microsoft is drinking kerosene, pissing it full blast into the faces of it's paying customers, and is about ready to light a match.

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

Doomsday Jesus we need you now.

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

Sounds good actually. I really miss the multi-color LED from my early Android phone, it was actually a really nice helpful feature (possibly the only redeeming one of that particular phone) and I find it really perplexing that it disappeared from pretty much all later phones.

The LED notification is in Android still if the manufacturers use it. I had an LG G3, which has it, and although I set custom LED colors for certain people it never flashed that color. Not blaming Android per say because it was most likely an LG issue.

Anyways, I have just become defeated and don't have any fight left. I will ride out Windows Phone OS until the bitter end, but will never recommend it to anyone. I did that one time to a friend and he got the 1520. He likes the overall look and feel of the OS but is boggled by no official Youtube app, no official google support, and hardware issues that both AT&T and Nokia refused to help him with. His rear camera hasn't worked in nearly a year so he has to take pictures of everything with his front facing camera. He told me the other day why doesn't Microsoft with all their money just steal/copy all the good ideas from other mobile OS'es, specifically iOS, then market them as whiz bang features. I had no reply other than "LOL M$."

I never implicitly recommended it, I simply told him it was a nice phone, so perhaps I never really recommended it to anyone.

There's no market presence in the US at all. I can't say the last time I have seen an ad, paper or otherwise, for the phones or OS. There's nothing. I don't think they have done any real advertising since, what, 7.5?

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."
For those of you pointing to WP's aesthetics as a positive you should probably see how W10 is shaping up :smith:

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

Doomsday Jesus we need you now.

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

For those of you pointing to WP's aesthetics as a positive you should probably see how W10 is shaping up :smith:

Can you post some screenshots or photos?

furaxu
Oct 23, 2010

G-III posted:

I'm trying to think of a customer base that's been more pissed on than Windows Phone customers and I'm really struggling. At this point Microsoft is drinking kerosene, pissing it full blast into the faces of it's paying customers, and is about ready to light a match.

Ask any Android user that hasn't seen an update to their phone in... well, you see it depends because Android.

It's not like this turmoil and pitchfork-raising is unique to WP. You routinely see the same kind of drama on the other platforms because someone doesn't like Google's new UI, or Apple made a font too skinny. The difference is they have more platform lock-in and a huge amount of momentum to shrug it off.

I think notification LEDs are nice, and if that new Office screenshot is to believed, the menu button moving to the bottom left is a good change.

CalvinandHobbes
Aug 5, 2004

Doomsday Jesus posted:

The LED notification is in Android still if the manufacturers use it. I had an LG G3, which has it, and although I set custom LED colors for certain people it never flashed that color. Not blaming Android per say because it was most likely an LG issue.

Anyways, I have just become defeated and don't have any fight left. I will ride out Windows Phone OS until the bitter end, but will never recommend it to anyone. I did that one time to a friend and he got the 1520. He likes the overall look and feel of the OS but is boggled by no official Youtube app, no official google support, and hardware issues that both AT&T and Nokia refused to help him with. His rear camera hasn't worked in nearly a year so he has to take pictures of everything with his front facing camera. He told me the other day why doesn't Microsoft with all their money just steal/copy all the good ideas from other mobile OS'es, specifically iOS, then market them as whiz bang features. I had no reply other than "LOL M$."

I never implicitly recommended it, I simply told him it was a nice phone, so perhaps I never really recommended it to anyone.

There's no market presence in the US at all. I can't say the last time I have seen an ad, paper or otherwise, for the phones or OS. There's nothing. I don't think they have done any real advertising since, what, 7.5?

I got two people on windows phones with strong recommendations. Both like it. Recently a friend of mine was in the market for a phone and wanted a windows phone. I had nothing to recommend for her. 1520 was huge and 1020 was old and slow. She's happy now with her iPhone 6....

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Don't really understand the griping about no official YouTube app when MetroTube exists. It's easily the best YouTube app I've ever used, and it's totally free (you can buy the app for a dollar but the trial has no restrictions at all; I went ahead and bought it because it's great).

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

G-III posted:

At this point Microsoft is drinking kerosene, pissing it full blast into the faces of it's paying customers, and is about ready to light a match.

That's a little dramatic...

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Doomsday Jesus posted:

Can you post some screenshots or photos?

Nah, please don't. I really hope it is bad defaults (or bad demo settins), but every screenshot so far looks incredibly cluttered and offensive.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

Nah, please don't. I really hope it is bad defaults (or bad demo settins), but every screenshot so far looks incredibly cluttered and offensive.

Desktop or mobile?

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

UHD posted:

Don't really understand the griping about no official YouTube app when MetroTube exists. It's easily the best YouTube app I've ever used, and it's totally free (you can buy the app for a dollar but the trial has no restrictions at all; I went ahead and bought it because it's great).

I think I use youtube wrong, because I have no need for a youtube app at all and the browser suffices for me. :confused: All I know currently is that it annoys the hell out of me on my tablet when I click a youtube video and the thing asks me first if I want to play in browser or leave the browser and go to the youtube app to play it. What benefits are there for me to start using metrotube?

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum
I'm getting 'do not have permission' errors when trying to copy music folders from my computer to my windows phone SD card.

Could this phone be any shittier?

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Your phone is working as intended, blocking any use you can do.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Darth TNT posted:

I think I use youtube wrong, because I have no need for a youtube app at all and the browser suffices for me. :confused: All I know currently is that it annoys the hell out of me on my tablet when I click a youtube video and the thing asks me first if I want to play in browser or leave the browser and go to the youtube app to play it. What benefits are there for me to start using metrotube?

Well it doesn't integrate with the browser, but like you said the browser plays video just fine. It's a stand alone app. It plays video without ads, it's easy to use, and it can download videos for later which is something I think the old MS app used to do? (I never used it) At home I'll look up some folks I've subscribed to and if I want to watch an update but it's too long or whatever I'll preload it and watch it at work where my cell signal is poo poo. I don't own a Windows tablet and I don't leave the desktop at home, so can't vouch for it there. I just know it's a wp8 app I really like and I have low standards.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

LifeSizePotato posted:

I wish there was someone at MS who was this loving competitive about WP

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

ElGroucho posted:

I wish there was someone at MS who was this loving competitive about WP

"Hey, we're freakin' Microsoft, and this is 1995. We'll come out on top in the end."

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

BonoMan posted:

Desktop or mobile?

Both.

Latest WP leak images available here.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Yeah I'm using the Windows 10 tech preview on my phone and it's... basically the same. Some tweaks here and there but it's not some different monstrosity. The settings menus are probably the biggest visual change and even then it's not something foreign or cluttered.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

For what it's worth, I haven't been put off replacing my iPhone 4S with a Lumia 640 next month by these last few pages; I don't have a lot of app needs, I really want a smartphone that integrates with OneDrive (since all my stuff is on there) and as long as the phone runs smoothly (which my iPhone increasingly doesn't) then I'm fine with using webapps, especially for things like Twitter or Tumblr which I only really use for browsing my feeds anyway. You can't beat the price for what you get either.

Whether I feel the same way in a year or so is another matter, of course.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I think I'm basically at the point where I'm willing to wait until (a) my 920 becomes unusable or (b) Win10 launches, and if my faith in the platform hasn't been restored by then I'll switch away. To something. Depending on whether I have less distaste for Apple or Google whenever that happens. And, full disclosure, I'm a former MS employee who worked on the WP team (SDET, email app) from the tail end of 7.0 through NoDo/Mango to the preliminary work for WP8. So that's saying a lot.

(I still maintain that Mango was the best release, and not only because that's what I did most of my work on :colbert:)

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

You made it out :unsmith:. A real windows phone success story.

Mr Funkface
Dec 21, 2009

loquacius posted:

I think I'm basically at the point where I'm willing to wait until (a) my 920 becomes unusable or (b) Win10 launches, and if my faith in the platform hasn't been restored by then I'll switch away. To something. Depending on whether I have less distaste for Apple or Google whenever that happens. And, full disclosure, I'm a former MS employee who worked on the WP team (SDET, email app) from the tail end of 7.0 through NoDo/Mango to the preliminary work for WP8. So that's saying a lot.

(I still maintain that Mango was the best release, and not only because that's what I did most of my work on :colbert:)

Three cheers for the least detestable!

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

loquacius posted:

Mango in my Nokia Lumia 800 was the smoothest, most responsive touchscreen experience I've had on any handset. That thing was like butter and I was gutted when that was lost when going to WP8.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

loquacius posted:

Mango owned. Thanks for all the memories :smith:

Most of this is fine. I remember cringing the first time they revealed the WP8 start screen, and once I had it in hand I liked it a lot- I'm assuming I'll get used to WP10 just like I have every iteration. Though it looks like they are taking most of their design cues from the old PC game Uplink

If someone actually went out of their way to replicate this I would go kind of bananas.

Jewmanji fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Mar 17, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rip Testes
Jan 29, 2004

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception.
Forgive me if this is a stupid question, but why did Google crush the WP YouTube app, yet on Xbox there is a YouTube app?