Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

What I needed from a boats game was more variation in the effects of a given action. (Shell damage is purely deterministic, it varies based on what it hits, and if anything the hitboxes are too small for getting non-random results). Compared to oh hey look that one missed blowing that ship sky high by a foot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerses IV
May 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I just twatted three destroyers in as many shots on my Kongo. AP against destroyers is pretty ridiculous if you hit the important stuff.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Why do people complain about the Phoenix? It seems great. Lots of guns with decent range, torps to slap any DDs who get through the 5x murder guns, good AAA that rewards protecting your team. Driving it has been nothing but fun :confused:

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

I'm digging the Clemson. The eight 102 mm guns really do a number on other DDs, easily taking off half their health on a good salvo. Decent bite against CAs too. Well, CLs anyway.

Prav fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Mar 17, 2015

SuperSix
Aug 22, 2012
Got the Cleveland and drat it looks sexy

finally doesnt look like a cruise ship that the navy took and stuck guns on it

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Fart Car '97 posted:

Why do people complain about the Phoenix? It seems great. Lots of guns with decent range, torps to slap any DDs who get through the 5x murder guns, good AAA that rewards protecting your team. Driving it has been nothing but fun :confused:

It is also a huge speed upgrade from the previous ship. I am guessing people don't think its good because it isn't a ww1 pirate ship that lets you broadside a million guns at once like the St Louis. I think its a good ship.

Had no Idea early American ships were literally Warhammer 40K ships on the ocean.

SuperSix
Aug 22, 2012

BadLlama posted:

It is also a huge speed upgrade from the previous ship. I am guessing people don't think its good because it isn't a ww1 pirate ship that lets you broadside a million guns at once like the St Louis. I think its a good ship.

Had no Idea early American ships were literally Warhammer 40K ships on the ocean.

Seriously, I just didn't find the St.Louis enjoyable. It was the TOG of ships

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Unlike the TOG the St.L. is actually a credit to it's team that does surprisingly well against bigger ships.

Steelion
Aug 2, 2009
Christ I am bad at torpedos. I have so much less fun and am so much worse with the T3 Japanese Cruiser than the St. Louis. Destroyers are also a slog.

e: If the TOG, like the St. Louis, had 3x as many functional guns as the other tanks in the game, it would be actually fun.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Fart Car '97 posted:

Probably has to do with its stock config. The fully upgraded one is all kinds of rad.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

This is probably a dumb question, but I noticed that among the third level of promotions for the captain there was one for popping smoke. Does it just improve destroyers smoke ability or does it allow any ship to do it? Could I use it to hide my carrier in a cloud of fog (gently caress planes and their slow landings)?

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Fart Car '97 posted:

Well it's a bit weaksauce before you get the hull upgrades on it, but that only takes like a couple battles and I agree it's great after that. I really liked it too and I don't think I've seen that many people really complaining about it either?

That said though, wait till you get the Omaha, it's basically just a straight upgrade to the Phoenix in just about every way, except maneuverability and concealment, where the differences are marginal.

Also I just got the Cleveland, and while I kinda miss having torpedoes, the gun battery is just so goddamn amazing and it's kinda refreshing to get to just focus on gunnery without also trying to keep an eye out for torping opportunities. Loving this ship a lot.

Nordick fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Mar 17, 2015

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Poil posted:

This is probably a dumb question, but I noticed that among the third level of promotions for the captain there was one for popping smoke. Does it just improve destroyers smoke ability or does it allow any ship to do it? Could I use it to hide my carrier in a cloud of fog (gently caress planes and their slow landings)?

Those abilities are ship-locked.

Damage Control is Battleship-only (And the Kawachi doesn't even get it).

Smoke is for destroyers

Planes are obviously for carriers. Scout planes are counted as well, but it would be a grand waste.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

Those abilities are ship-locked.

Damage Control is Battleship-only (And the Kawachi doesn't even get it).

Smoke is for destroyers

Planes are obviously for carriers. Scout planes are counted as well, but it would be a grand waste.
Ah, good thing I didn't pick that then, thanks. :)
The tooltip only said it was available for destroyers, not that it was exclusive.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

So is there any way to get in on this, at this point?

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

xthetenth posted:

What I needed from a boats game was more variation in the effects of a given action. (Shell damage is purely deterministic, it varies based on what it hits, and if anything the hitboxes are too small for getting non-random results). Compared to oh hey look that one missed blowing that ship sky high by a foot.
I wouldn't hold your breath, given that both tanks and planes are simple numbers games with damage reducing HPs and only the occasional ammo rack or knocked out gunner to spice things up.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

cheese posted:

I wouldn't hold your breath, given that both tanks and planes are simple numbers games with damage reducing HPs and only the occasional ammo rack or knocked out gunner to spice things up.

The point is that War Thunder is probably gonna be more random in shell effects, not less.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Man by the time you get up Tier 5 in things destroyers just become kind of pointless. A decent BB/CA/CL Group has basically no excuse to die to a destroyer ever. They're fun, but that's about it.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Who needs torpedos when you can just shoot people and they ignore you?

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Fart Car '97 posted:

Man by the time you get up Tier 5 in things destroyers just become kind of pointless. A decent BB/CA/CL Group has basically no excuse to die to a destroyer ever. They're fun, but that's about it.

The higher-tier IJN DDs have 10km-plus range torpedoes. That plus smokescreens give them a lot of utility in large-scale encounters. Don't try to close the range except against distracted targets, or you will explode.

US DDs, I don't even know how you're supposed to play.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Vengarr posted:

The higher-tier IJN DDs have 10km-plus range torpedoes. That plus smokescreens give them a lot of utility in large-scale encounters. Don't try to close the range except against distracted targets, or you will explode.

Murder japanese DDs and spend the late game capping zones and sharting torps.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Pretty sure late game American DD have longish range on their torps as well.

American DDs all about making GBS threads out constant artillery and then torping when it presents itself imo.

Also apparently if you are too close to your target your torps wont go off do they have some sort of arming distance?

BadLlama fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Mar 17, 2015

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

Murdering other DD's with your OP guns and than plunking away at battleships that are distracted...with your guns, You just kinda end up using us torps as area of denial weapons thanks to their short range and longish reload

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Cummander ross, reporting for duty!

:gooncamp:

xthetenth posted:

Potentially good torpedo bombers dropping right on you, so they don't exist before that.

The funniest thing was the carrier driver who tried so hard to drop an impossible-to-evade spread by waiting until the last second, except the torps dropped literally right on me and just kept on truckin' off into the wild blue yonder.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Zotix posted:

So is there any way to get in on this, at this point?

There are a few twitch streams giving away keys occasionally, but that's not exactly a reliable method.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!

Hammerstein posted:

This game will satisfy my naval needs until War Thunder does ships right. Imagine something like the x-ray hit camera from War Thunder ground forces in a naval game, seeing where and what the shell penetrated instead of a pure rng system.

WoWS has penetration mechanics, it's not pure RNG, it's just opaque to users. It's just that with your cursor in the right place there's no much more you can do to get citadel pens. At close range you're sometimes in the situation where a "good" pen roll on a shell will actually cause it to overpen.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Stevefin posted:

You won't get famous ship names, but rather the ship hull name, There was talk that famous ships will be premiums, So stuff like Hood,Bismark,Enterprise,so on
Aurora is already in as a premium, with a little blurb describing the specific ship, even though her class is an obvious choice for Russian tier 2-3 cruiser.

Fart Car '97 posted:

What the gently caress is with the game not rendering torpedoes until they're like 5 seconds from hitting? The last day or so I have played I've died to torpedoes over and over because they just materialize out of nothing far too late for you to do anything about it.
If you're playing against ships with 4.5 km torpedo range, it's a side effect of the short range and you should stop letting destroyers get so close.
Otherwise, you aren't noticing torpedoes that are rendered. The torpedo is visible before it makes the audible warning.

Vengarr posted:

Unfortunately there's often little choice. Dodging long range torpedoes was never hard and is far, far easier than it used to be, and long range on a torpedo is not strictly an advantage. Spotting distance is 40% of maximum range, so if you fire 20 km long lances at anything under 8 km they'll be spotted from the moment they're in the water.

e:

Desuwa posted:

WoWS has penetration mechanics, it's not pure RNG, it's just opaque to users. It's just that with your cursor in the right place there's no much more you can do to get citadel pens. At close range you're sometimes in the situation where a "good" pen roll on a shell will actually cause it to overpen.
It's allegedly purely deterministic, no RNG directly involved in calculating damage.
What it is is a black box that depends on hit zones significantly smaller (at most ranges) than the shell spread, so the only substantial difference from an RNG heavy approach is that certain alpha testers can greatly overstate how good they are because they one shot something and "damage isn't RNG".

James Garfield fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Mar 17, 2015

Gamesguy
Sep 7, 2010

I have discovered something amazing.

Destroyers can sit inside smoke and shoot at ships as close as 3km away and not be detected. I just saw a tier 8 American destroyer completely wreck a tier 7 cruiser doing this.

Time to grind US DDs I guess.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
I sunk two DDs trying to close me down with the secondary guns on my Langley. How. HOW?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Desuwa posted:

It's also my experience that precise aiming really isn't a thing in this game, with the constantly moving and turning ships, typically long-ish engagement ranges, and firing randomness. Try to hit the center and hope for the best.

I'm enjoying cruisers in a screening role, keeping destroyers and planes away from the battleships.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

US DDs can brawl with the early IJN cruisers, starting at T4. Those three twinned guns can just fire nonstop.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

James Garfield posted:

If you're playing against ships with 4.5 km torpedo range, it's a side effect of the short range and you should stop letting destroyers get so close.
Otherwise, you aren't noticing torpedoes that are rendered. The torpedo is visible before it makes the audible warning.

Nah it's just the fact that this game's netcode is just absuolutey hosed on my machine for some reason. Planeside? 50ms, solid connection. War Thunder? Same thing. This game? 9/10 games I'm pinging 500-600ms with the lag light constantly on. Last round I had a DD 5K away fire torps at me that didn't show up until a two seconds before they hit. There was no "I didn't see them" I was looking right loving at him and watched the torps, wake and all, appear out of nothing right in front of me. Similar poo poo happens with incoming shells: They'll land ahead or behind my ship but I'll take damage like they were dead on.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
Just had two guys in a carrier whine about how nobody protected their flank 8 minutes into a game. The entire team moved to A and B on fault line or whatever and they went and puttered off into the open ocean near C (the east side). Do carrier players not understand that they can move their ships, and in fact being near-ish to the mass of the team is really helpful in terms of travel time, protection from flanking vessels, and any planes having to get through a wall of AA and other targets before they get to the carriers.

Like, yeah, you want to be in back, but you can be in back on the side the team is on instead of off in the open water on the other side of the map like an rear end in a top hat.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

Vengarr posted:

Shoot other DD's then go for distracted or high value targets. Carrier kills are very fun.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
I really wish every game in my St Louis wasn't against almost all tier 5s. All those guns are great and all, but it can't compete.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !

hopterque posted:

Just had two guys in a carrier whine about how nobody protected their flank 8 minutes into a game. The entire team moved to A and B on fault line or whatever and they went and puttered off into the open ocean near C (the east side). Do carrier players not understand that they can move their ships, and in fact being near-ish to the mass of the team is really helpful in terms of travel time, protection from flanking vessels, and any planes having to get through a wall of AA and other targets before they get to the carriers.

Like, yeah, you want to be in back, but you can be in back on the side the team is on instead of off in the open water on the other side of the map like an rear end in a top hat.

Pubs don't get that. And the players who demand to be protected instead of trailing behind the battle line are almost as bad as the publords who send their whole first strike against the enemy CVs. A trip to the other side of the map with an uncertain outcome which might cost you the whole strike force.

Gamesguy
Sep 7, 2010

hopterque posted:

Where they grouped and in rangers? I just had a game with the same thing and they bitched about how they were left behind by the team.

30+ knot carriers being "left behind" by 25 knot battleships, good joke.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Gamesguy posted:

Where they grouped and in rangers? I just had a game with the same thing and they bitched about how they were left behind by the team.

30+ knot carriers being "left behind" by 25 knot battleships, good joke.

It was two grouped langleys, which are slow as gently caress, but either way 8 minutes into the game you can still sit somewhere vaguely behind the friendly team instead of vaguely behind nothing at all.

Tuco22
Jul 11, 2013

Gamesguy posted:

I have discovered something amazing.

Destroyers can sit inside smoke and shoot at ships as close as 3km away and not be detected. I just saw a tier 8 American destroyer completely wreck a tier 7 cruiser doing this.

Time to grind US DDs I guess.

At this point its dumb not to exploit DD mechanics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Hammerstein posted:

Pubs don't get that. And the players who demand to be protected instead of trailing behind the battle line are almost as bad as the publords who send their whole first strike against the enemy CVs. A trip to the other side of the map with an uncertain outcome which might cost you the whole strike force.

I love it when the other team's carriers do this when I'm in a cruiser with good AA. It's just a matter of thinking "What's the boat on my team most alluring to pubbie carriers?" and staying close enough that I can intercept planes heading for the carriers/fatass battleship.