Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

I have an attitude that I developed in Starcraft, and I know it works a little differently here, but here goes: I think it's one thing if you're a very high level player in a tournament, because then you have to question certain results for professional reasons. But as a regular player, as someone trying to improve, questioning the results of the game is a toxic attitude. You need to believe that the game is fair in order to get better, because unless you do so, you are creating the possibility that you will miss out on your own mistakes, and therefore miss opportunities to get better. I never assume that someone is hacking, or that I missed a shot because of lag(unless the game totally and very obviously desynced for a few seconds, which has happened once or twice), or that something is that nebulous flavor of bullshit that other people in my rank seem to believe exists - "gently caress that! I hit you!", that kind of thing. Because there is only one way to always be sure that you're going to improve and learn from your mistakes and that's to assume that all failures could have prevented by you.

A good vibes attitude is the best attitude. But it's cool that now that Valve actually gives even a tiny poo poo about the game, we can iron out genuine bugs. It has long been an elephant in the room that the Source engine does not have perfect bullet registration on anything other than motionless targets. Obviously true hitreg is unobtainable due to client-server communication and necessary lag compensation, but you can only fix a problem you can identify and show people. Hopefully Source 2 engine will be better suited to CS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

I have an attitude that I developed in Starcraft, and I know it works a little differently here, but here goes: I think it's one thing if you're a very high level player in a tournament, because then you have to question certain results for professional reasons. But as a regular player, as someone trying to improve, questioning the results of the game is a toxic attitude. You need to believe that the game is fair in order to get better, because unless you do so, you are creating the possibility that you will miss out on your own mistakes, and therefore miss opportunities to get better. I never assume that someone is hacking, or that I missed a shot because of lag(unless the game totally and very obviously desynced for a few seconds, which has happened once or twice), or that something is that nebulous flavor of bullshit that other people in my rank seem to believe exists - "gently caress that! I hit you!", that kind of thing. Because there is only one way to always be sure that you're going to improve and learn from your mistakes and that's to assume that all failures could have prevented by you.

I can get behind this but god it's hard not to blame the P90 rushers when they headshot half my team from a mile away while moving. Dude I'm trying to learn to play here, do you mind? :arghfist::(

I'm learning to keep my distance and take things slow when I know they got SMGs, so there's that.

Antares
Jan 13, 2006

a lot of times i see more blood spatter effects than the console says i hit shots. usually "shoot better" would've helped but still

Daeno
May 29, 2007

Found you have to go alone
If anybody wants to watch some goons, another Goon Tourney game tonight:

HPB vs TEAM rye starts at 9PM EST / 6PM PST on sub.io

GOTV IP: 107.150.59.194:27020

Will stream on https://www.twitch.tv/daeno16

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

can I bet skins on this?

Daeno
May 29, 2007

Found you have to go alone

Photex posted:

can I bet skins on this?

we're still working on csgolounge accreditation

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Kazinsal posted:

I've never seen the magnified accept button but I see "fake matches" after failed matchmaking attempts (say, 9/10 accept and it times out) where the timer doesn't beep and it just shows the number of people who accepted last time for about ten seconds before it realizes it's making poo poo up and goes to find me an actual game.

This happens way too drat often and it too makes me wonder if some of my inexplicable deaths would have turned out differently had the game not been having e-dementia.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=405144945

Giant green button, this is on mouse-over not on click.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=267089418

bonus glitch

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=247576170

remember that time they put a roof on banana?

http://cloud-4.steamusercontent.com/ugc/520499125408730100/87D25B0ABE12383E8D6F5D93F200EA8E6DA98AFB/

not CS, but make sure you stretch before you go on an adventure.

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

I don't know how to surf so please disregard the visuals. But sometimes VOIP can be good entertainment.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6Eh48xs4gY

satsui no thankyou
Apr 23, 2011
yesterday i tried to put a sticker on a gun and had to restart to get rid of the gun visual

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Every gun I have is covered in weed stickers it's like I'm playing cod

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Salt Fish posted:

Giant green button, this is on mouse-over not on click.
bonus glitch
remember that time they put a roof on banana?
not CS, but make sure you stretch before you go on an adventure.

Your gpu might be having depression issues.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Jeza posted:

A good vibes attitude is the best attitude.

That's the loving truth. One raging dickhead makes everyone play worse. Its amazing how much of a downer some people can be and they never get how being a whiny bitch is what absolutely dooms any chance of a comeback.Even if you were playing with actual retards calling them retards doesn't help them at all. Telling them something helpful and saying take it one round at a time in between rounds will maybe keep them upbeat and they might do something useful. On a purely selfish level you would think the edgy heroes would figure this out.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Goofballs posted:

That's the loving truth. One raging dickhead makes everyone play worse. Its amazing how much of a downer some people can be and they never get how being a whiny bitch is what absolutely dooms any chance of a comeback.Even if you were playing with actual retards calling them retards doesn't help them at all. Telling them something helpful and saying take it one round at a time in between rounds will maybe keep them upbeat and they might do something useful. On a purely selfish level you would think the edgy heroes would figure this out.

The problem is the Russians. It's always the loving Russians who act like they're hot poo poo and then go 1-0-29 while insulting everyone else in fractured English, and then start teamkilling (or rather, getting people to single digit HP and then letting up) and they're always in duos so you can't kick them. I don't know what the hell it is but Russians are always the main issue plaguing anything on Steam for me.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

I need 1 more competitive win before I'm given a rank (8.5hrs until I can play a mm game again :argh:). For like the last 10 games I've only played against nova players with a few silver EM here and there. Does that mean I'm likely to be placed in nova when ranked?

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*

Fateo McMurray posted:

I need 1 more competitive win before I'm given a rank (8.5hrs until I can play a mm game again :argh:). For like the last 10 games I've only played against nova players with a few silver EM here and there. Does that mean I'm likely to be placed in nova when ranked?

Come play Goonman Fateo :getin:

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

AzureSkys posted:

I don't know how to surf so please disregard the visuals. But sometimes VOIP can be good entertainment.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6Eh48xs4gY

dont slam against the ramps

the more parallel to the ramp you break into the better
like you did in 1:52 thats alright, and like you did in 1:02 is almost perfect

another thing, in that particular ramp setup, try not to launch from the first one. just strafe off without getting upwards. the way you did in 0:15 is fine, and the way you did in 0:23 is perfect, except you didnt land the second ramp.

keep at it!

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

This cracked me up https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fkh9tnvr45k

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

the cool thing about that video is theyre silver but have a really good pop flash out of the vent

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

do people actually play hostage rescue in competitive?

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Crain posted:

do people actually play hostage rescue in competitive?

no

(unless it's a joke)

I played a hostage map like 2 weeks ago and the CTs got a win for rescuing just 1 hostage even though the rest were alive. Is that how it works now?

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy

Fateo McMurray posted:

no

(unless it's a joke)

I played a hostage map like 2 weeks ago and the CTs got a win for rescuing just 1 hostage even though the rest were alive. Is that how it works now?

Yup.

I see a few guys play comp office often enough. Honestly the way hostage rescue maps work now is somewhat refreshing since terrorists can't just murder every hostage and turn the map into deathmatch and you don't have to worry about your train of hostages getting snagged on a cardboard box lying around and losing the round from it.

Did we all forget about cs_insertion already?

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

holy poo poo theres a VENTS section to that map?????

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Luna Was Here posted:

Don't know about the earliest versions of the map, but there always has been, I think.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Luna Was Here posted:

looka t this fukekn gen y piece of poo poo that doesnt know assault

stranger danger
May 24, 2006

mistermojo posted:

GoldSource was pretty awful, any mod that had people moving at high speeds like TFC or Natural Selection would have the hitboxes lag behind the player

Is this not the case in GO? There have been a couple of times where I've gotten kills after the player model disappears behind cover. I've also gotten a few kills on sprays seemingly after I let go of mouse1, but maybe that's just my reactions slowing down :corsair:

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde

stranger danger posted:

Is this not the case in GO? There have been a couple of times where I've gotten kills after the player model disappears behind cover. I've also gotten a few kills on sprays seemingly after I let go of mouse1, but maybe that's just my reactions slowing down :corsair:

Nope, it sure happens, especially if you've got mid-range / higher latency. Just the nature of source's 'backwards reconciliation' netcode.

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

ArfJason posted:

looka t this fukekn gen y piece of poo poo that doesnt know assault

*puts out arms to the gang* hold me back damnit, hold me back!!!

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

ArfJason posted:

dont slam against the ramps

the more parallel to the ramp you break into the better
like you did in 1:52 thats alright, and like you did in 1:02 is almost perfect

another thing, in that particular ramp setup, try not to launch from the first one. just strafe off without getting upwards. the way you did in 0:15 is fine, and the way you did in 0:23 is perfect, except you didnt land the second ramp.

keep at it!
TY for the info! I'll keep trying. Totally a different feel than what I'm used to. And appreciate the friendly advice! There's been a fair share of annoying/toxic people in game but over all I've been surprised at how friendly and helpful a lot have been. I only tried one competitive match that got me yelled at a lot, but I was clueless. I've learned a good bit since and hope to try more. It's a nice contrast from the previous communities I've been in that were nothing but toxic.

And, I've just used up all my luck.
http://gfycat.com/GorgeousSizzlingGoose

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Yay won my 10th MM game and now I'm ranked gold nova 1. Is that good?

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup

Fateo McMurray posted:

It's better than me and I have 150 fuckin wins

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.

Fateo McMurray posted:

You suck. All of us do.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

metallicaeg posted:

It's better than me and I have 150 fuckin wins

try aiming for the head

nephyx
Jun 20, 2006

"Purges"
-Adolf Twerkel

Fateo McMurray posted:

Depends on the amount of experience you have in the game but if those were your first matchmaking games it's not bad at all.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup

Fateo McMurray posted:

try aiming for the head
click heads
anticipate your enemy's movement
hold corners strategically for cover and the ability to fall back in a firefight
utilize your team mates for cross fire opportunities
communicate properly with your team for strategic advantage
don't peak an AWP at range
don't enter a gunfight holding a grenade

Probably my first 100 wins were just sloppy play bouncing around silver 3-4 not really doing much of the above, with the last 20-30 wins doing that stuff and switching between silver 5-6

Just haven't been able to break through

+ lower sens, use a deathadder

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

I have like 270hrs played. First 250 were gungame/missions that don't require competitive.

Edit: also I only play mirage

Fateo McMurray fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Mar 17, 2015

kcer
May 28, 2004

Today is good weather
for an airstrike.
Learn a couple of actual pop flash locations for each map, too. I've seen mcvey do some really good ones on d2 and mill, and it only took me like 11 years to realise how cool and good they are.

satsui no thankyou
Apr 23, 2011

metallicaeg posted:

click heads
anticipate your enemy's movement
hold corners strategically for cover and the ability to fall back in a firefight
utilize your team mates for cross fire opportunities
communicate properly with your team for strategic advantage
don't peak an AWP at range
don't enter a gunfight holding a grenade

Probably my first 100 wins were just sloppy play bouncing around silver 3-4 not really doing much of the above, with the last 20-30 wins doing that stuff and switching between silver 5-6

Just haven't been able to break through

+ lower sens, use a deathadder

bait ur team to get sick k/d

satsui no thankyou
Apr 23, 2011
buy rifles second round for ace potential

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
starix out, flamie into Na'Vi. Very big hitting lineup now. Without starix it's conceivable they would have knocked nV out of Katowice. He cost them a lot of vital rounds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrGreatJob
Oct 3, 2006

we fuck each other very well and we have a lot of energy from eating plantfoods

satsui no thankyou posted:

buy rifles second round for ace potential

psh never buy rifles on T side, just buy a tec 9 and never stop moving forward.

• Locked thread