Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Previous Jesus
Jun 5, 2013
I like Kendrick's album, maybe more than GKMC. But I didn't like GKMC as much as most people did. There also aren't any songs on it that are as good individually as m.A.A.d. city or ADHD imo. I like the feel of the album as a whole although the skits are kind of bad and the Tupac thing is so loving cringeworthy. I can't believe people on reddit are eating that part up. Kendrick has previously mentioned how Tupac told him in a dream that he had to carry on his legacy or some poo poo though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HEY VAPER
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW

Dr. Pancakes posted:

So why is kendricks record deal lovely

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWUU5QmjfG4

There's an interview with Kendrick I can't find, where tl;dr he talks about how he's been apathetic as hell since m.a.a.d. city, had massive writer's block on this album, scrapped the entire album at a point, etc. which is pretty much confirmation that Suge isn't talking out of his rear end because that's how artists typically act when they're stuck on lovely contracts. There's another interview out there where Kool Keith alludes to the same thing without namedropping Kendrick but it's p obvious who he's talking about.

Hint: if you're an up-and-coming rapper blowing up, don't sign the first (or any) multi-record deal you get. Most major labels don't exactly have a good track record with those.

HEY VAPER fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Mar 17, 2015

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

I can't tell what's more obnoxious, people claiming it's the best rap album ever made, or people claiming it doesn't get criticism because of white guilt :jerkbag:

oh wait I know the answer to that. It's the white guilt people.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

are you white

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

The Blacker The Berry puts the rest of this album to shame. It's like a window into how much better this album potentially could've been.

After hearing that my hopes were sky high for the album. It's okay, but it fell short of expectations.

Whoever said he may have let the fame get to his head and is trying too hard to "save" hip hop, they are basically 100% right.

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son

Famethrowa posted:

I can't tell what's more obnoxious, people claiming it's the best rap album ever made, or people claiming it doesn't get criticism because of white guilt :jerkbag:

oh wait I know the answer to that. It's the white guilt people.

Uh, who is saying any of that.

Also stop frequenting any place where people say retarded poo poo like that maybe.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Uhh hey Earl Sweatshirt's album drops next week

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

I actually liked Doris but I have a feeling this will suck.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

HoneyBoy posted:

Also stop frequenting any place where people say retarded poo poo like that maybe.

I dunno, people in this thread one page ago?

and yeah good point.

MellowHype
Jun 6, 2012

Oh how that plumber danced!
I don't know what it is about Earl to me. I mean the lyricism is there as well as, the complex meanings of his rhymes. But his flow is a bit too slow-paced for me. At first I never gave Earl the chance because I never cared for OF but when I heard he was inspired by DOOM then I decided to give him a listen. I still don't feel it. I'm gonna pass on Earl for now but hey, maybe there's something down there hidden in the bowels of one of his albums that I haven't come by yet that I'll get a good vibe from. If anyone can recommend anything in particular that'd be cool.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

HoneyBoy posted:

I mean there's dudes like a page ago saying that very thing.

I think it's a great album, not sure if it's "classic" (way too early to tell) but I already like it more than GKMC, which tbh I thought was a chore to listen to all the way through, and I only find myself going back to like 3 songs off that (maad city, backseet freestyle, and swimming pools). It's not flawless, and the flaws I tend to overlook because they seem due to him trying TOO hard and trying to do too much rather than just being lazy or bad or w/e. Like dudes just seriously would like to hear him rap but for whatever reason he almost seems to bury his voice in some of the songs. But stuff like For Free?->King Kunta just flows, and what he's saying is actually really powerful. The Lupe comparison is interesting, but I see that as way more self-indulgent with the 15 minute songs and ambient interludes (although I like that album a lot too so it's not necessarily a problem).

So yea it's not flawless but dudes saying "it's garbage" or w/e are way off-base. Like I was reading somewhere talking about it those people are just mad there's nothing they can twerk to on it. Not all music has to be dumbass ignorant poo poo, and even if there's some missteps with all sorts of skits and spoken word what Kendrick's saying is pretty much all great.

HEY VAPER
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW
I was talking about Pitchfork specifically when I was talking about white guilt, and if you don't think that's true you're blissfully unaware of how bad Pitchfork is at reviewing hip-hop.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

HEY VAPER posted:

I was talking about Pitchfork specifically when I was talking about white guilt, and if you don't think that's true you're blissfully unaware of how bad Pitchfork is at reviewing hip-hop.

You're just saying that because they threw the word "fuckboi" around in their RTJ2 review despite there being a 50/50 chance they don't know what it means

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

MellowHype posted:

At first I never gave Earl the chance because I never cared for OF

Username and statement don't line up :colbert:

MellowHype
Jun 6, 2012

Oh how that plumber danced!

Wezlar posted:

Username and statement don't line up :colbert:

I thought of this username before I found out where it came from. I figured someone would notice this haha but yeah I didn't know until after I created the account. I really don't care for OF or Earl that much.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

I haven't really followed OF in years but their first wave of stuff (OF tape, Bastard, Earl, YelloWhite/BlackenedWhite, Rolling Papers) was all pretty good stuff. I will probably check out the new Earl nut I'm not expecting a lot

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Run The Jewels played SXSW earlier today and some dude came on stage and tried to fight Killer Mike and El-P.

That's pretty weird, especially since I saw them a few days ago.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

lmao earl's going off on twitter about how this wasn't supposed to be up yet

first universal with kendrick and now this

im gay
Jul 20, 2013

by Lowtax
white ppl https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrc0KepIM3o

Raymond Hog
Nov 28, 2013

New Kendrick is really good. I expect it will grow on me even more too, idk i really felt like i needed an album like this from kendrick, even though yall are saying the opposite

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

"I'd give it a 9.2"
"I'd give it an 8.8"

Hahaha, gently caress these clowns.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
I've been sarcastic but I love every note on TPAB. It sounds like music and more than production. I think people are tiring of the straight keyboard and drum machine instrumentation (DJ Mustard). Kendrick is capturing the blues mentality with funk and jazz sounds. He is broadening his perspective and taking steps towards artistic growth. He is realizing his art. The choices on the album are in line what Kendrick's influences, his influence's influences, and it's a reflection of the larger culture around hiphop. I think hiphop has forgotten the culture it came from. TPAB encapsulates black music tradition relevant to grandchildren of the civil rights era. A retreat into music when black people were more unified and proud. The 2Pac/butterfly closing is an appropriate cap on the project. Kendrick didn't participate in the black consciousness of the 60s and 70s. But like Pac, he inherited it. They both speak for and to the same people. Kendrick is echoing 2Pac in "I'm not saying I'm gonna change the world, but I guarantee that I will spark the brain that will change the world."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uijBebYpoto

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

Viginti
Feb 1, 2015
I'm surprised how much of TPAB cribs from FLotus, it's not a bad thing just not what I expected going in. I'm all for more people doing that kind of hybrid material, not sure Lamar gets it quite as pristine as Ellison would have, but I appreciate the audacity. I don't know if I've got my head around the album enough yet to really rate it, let alone to make claims that its a classic, but i'm enjoying it so far which is all I wanted.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
The worst part of every Kendrick album cycle are the people who say "this album is gonna bring REAL music back!"

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

The worst part about this album reaction is that it's a good but not outstanding album but every reaction is AMAZING or poo poo

It's nice there are more moderate opinions in this thread

Wezlar fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Mar 17, 2015

sean price
Sep 30, 2011

by Lowtax

vanbags posted:

I'm pretty sure this has to be parody

If you watch the other video where they list the top 5 albums from the 90s the dude actually says Nas has a very "urban flow" on Illmatic

I know the guy and nope he's just an idiot.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

HorseRenoir posted:

The worst part of every Kendrick album cycle are the people who say "this album is gonna bring REAL music back!"
A cliche to defeat cliches

temple fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Mar 17, 2015

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son

https://instagram.com/p/0UGLDJqSVF/

drat

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
I think this album has the same basic problems as Ab Soul's latest. It feels overproduced at times with way too much going on, there is too much on it which is wasted (like Ab, he seems to have gone all in on songs ending, and still going on for 1:30 as another song, or a monologue or some poo poo), and it feels like 10 ideas executed way less than amazingly instead of one idea executed well. Com'on TDE, get it together.

Also, where were his other TDE coworkers? No Black Hippy group remix? No Ab on just one track? No Q? Not even Jay Rock?

HEY VAPER
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW

which you know I think is a reference to "to kill a mockingbird" :smug:
the overture :smug:
his storytelling of this album is great :smug:
challenging to listen to :smug:
ghetto opera :smug:
Kendrick's Thriller :smug:
So many genres. Jazz. :smug:
In star wars terms :smug:

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Kendrick shows off a MYRIAD of flows this album

HEY VAPER
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW

Tremendous Taste posted:

Kendrick shows off a MYRIAD of flows this album

hes really a poet on this album

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
music is so layered, it sounds 3d

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son

:gizz:

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Tpab is a mediocre album compared to what it thinks it is. That's what makes it seem so bad. Is it a terrible album all things considered? No. Is it good? No. Will it grow on me? Maybe/probably

Also why didnt he work with any other hiphop artists for any of these songs? Pretty disappointing that there's not any features to speak of. Makes it seem like kdot feels he's transcended the rest of rap which lol if he actually thinks this album is transcendent of anything

thathonkey fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Mar 17, 2015

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

thathonkey posted:

Also why didnt he work with any other hiphop artists for any of these songs? Pretty disappointing that there's not any features to speak of. Makes it seem like kdot feels he's transcended the rest of rap which lol if he actually thinks this album is transcendent of anything

:lol: I think you're projecting here dude. Plenty of great rap albums only have features from singers.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Wezlar posted:

:lol: I think you're projecting here dude. Plenty of great rap albums only have features from singers.

O ok

HEY VAPER
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW

Wezlar posted:

The album felt empty as gently caress, it needed more Kendrick verses or features or SOMETHING.

album full of skits/spoken word done right: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7tye3-dUkY
album full of skins/spoken word done wrong: TPaB, that really bad RZA album he put out a few years ago

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spoils
Nov 2, 2012
Newest Earl http://www.audiomack.com/song/ktt2015/grief
cool album title, easier to relate to for me whitey