Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

SlothfulCobra posted:

Has Steven ever had vaccinations?

If he gets sick, he can just drool on himself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

Who What Now posted:

So I was relistening/rewatching 'Stronger Than You' for about the two dozenth time when something clicked that I hadn't thought about before. In the second half of the song Garnet sings this:

She refers to Earth as "my planet"; she considers it her home. In contrast as far as I can remember Pearl always refers to Earth as "the" or "this" planet, if not by name, but never claims ownership. And that fits with her reasons for staying, Rose and Rose alone, and that she still harbors fond memories of the Gem Homeworld.

Maybe I'm overanalyzing this, but it fits with a lot of other little things that show that Garnet more than anyone understands how Rose felt and what she wanted. So I'd like to believe this was intentional.

There's a lot about the gems that we still don't know, but Garnet continues to be the most mysterious, even by Steven's description (though I expect that to start changing now we've met Ruby and Sapphire). In particular, while we've gotten a sense of Amethyst and especially Pearl's relationship with Rose and how they feel about her, with Garnet that's still a pretty big question mark. We know why Pearl stayed and fought for Earth with Rose, and we can basically infer why Amethyst became a Crystal Gem (though the specifics are another big question mark), but we know very little about Garnet's backstory. From what we do know about her, though, I think you're probably right. Garnet, from everything we've seen, is considerably more put-together than the other two gems. She's certainly the most outwardly affectionate, and I get the sense that in general--and somewhat ironically-- she's better at accepting and expressing her emotions than Amethyst (who can be cruel and vindictive and isn't exactly the most stable gem around) or Pearl (who seems to be repressing a lot of stuff). Garnet is stoic, but I think that's just the way she is, not some kind of front she's putting on to hide how she really feels. I'm sure she's got more going on that we just don't know about yet, but her characterization fits with the idea that she considers Earth her home and is mostly content with her life there (unlike Amethyst, who still doesn't quite feel like she belongs, or Pearl, who lost her reason for being once Rose went away).

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

SlothfulCobra posted:

Has Steven ever had vaccinations?

he just has to swallow some spit and he'll be better.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

axleblaze posted:

I want her to be like Rimmer form Red Dwarf except competent.

Technically all the gems are like Rimmer from Red Dwarf because just like him they have bodies that are hard light holograms.

DrakePegasus
Jan 30, 2009

It was Plundersaurus Rex's dream to be the greatest pirate dragon ever.

I learned recently that there is a grassroots movement among the Bronies to mutate and invade the SU fandom under the mantle of Gemtlemen. If you ever come across someone describing himself as such, please push him into traffic inform him that there is no need to self-identify as such, as Steven Universe already thrives without toxic machismo.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

DrakePegasus posted:

I learned recently that there is a grassroots movement among the Bronies to mutate and invade the SU fandom under the mantle of Gemtlemen. If you ever come across someone describing himself as such, please push him into traffic inform him that there is no need to self-identify as such, as Steven Universe already thrives without toxic machismo.

Is pushing them into traffic still an option?

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
sadly, no.

but man, gently caress those people.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Crain posted:

There's a dumb theory that Onion is secretly a gem, and/or Yellow Diamond, because he doesn't have ears. So far the only characters who's ears we haven't seen have been gems.

Except

Gems just all have really rockin' hair that covers ears. Onion's just a weird agent of chaos.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Triskelli posted:

That's good stuff.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
applewhite why did you draw garnet into the gbs mspaint comic thread

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.

TwoPair posted:

Except

Gems just all have really rockin' hair that covers ears. Onion's just a weird agent of chaos.

I seem to remember one of the crew saying Gems don't naturally have ears, but they can have them if they want to. Can't find the post right now though.

Beekeeping and You
Sep 27, 2011

so if lapis was in the mirror does that mean she was just making fart noises during mayor dewey's speech

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

DrakePegasus posted:

That name is stupid. They should have called themselves "the crystal gents" which is also stupid, but at least it doesn't look like a typo.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Moatman posted:

I seem to remember one of the crew saying Gems don't naturally have ears, but they can have them if they want to. Can't find the post right now though.

there's a deep character reason why Amethyst decided she needs ears

Beekeeping and You posted:

so if lapis was in the mirror does that mean she was just making fart noises during mayor dewey's speech

Yes. Lapis hates Earth and is pro-gem-homeworld but bonded with steven over fart jokes, canon.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

GLOSS posted:

Someone made a GIF of infinite shirt Steven previously in the previous thread when I asked, but if I could get that avatar sized it would be fantastic...

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Tollymain posted:

I was with you up til this last part. I really want her to just be a cranky aspie jerk all the time.

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Acne Rain posted:

there's a deep character reason why Amethyst decided she needs ears

I just want Onion to be the root of all evil (Gem-related or otherwise)

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

That name is stupid. They should have called themselves "the crystal gents" which is also stupid, but at least it doesn't look like a typo.
The Crystal Gents would have required a modicum of intelligence and creativity so that's already out.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Moatman posted:

I just want Onion to be the root of all evil (Gem-related or otherwise)

He can be that and still not be a gem.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Moltrey posted:

The Crystal Gents would have required a modicum of intelligence and creativity so that's already out.

The best comment on the situation I read was "I can't respect a group that didn't decide on the obvious name 'geodudes'."

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

DrakePegasus posted:

This rumor started with the fact that Equestria Daily is making a SU-related site. As far as I can tell the rest of the threat of bronies moving to SU is mostly tumblr doing what it does best: manufacturing panic. "Gemtlemen" are invading SU just as much as "SJWs" are invading video games.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
The gently caress does "invading" a fandom even mean though? (besides the fact that it's stupid internet bullshit)

Unless these dudes were MRA types who were going to start harassing the SU crew about how they're not representing women to their liking, I don't see why even the rumors of this should be paid attention to.

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

axleblaze posted:

He can be that and still not be a gem.

Point taken

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Crain posted:

The gently caress does "invading" a fandom even mean though? (besides the fact that it's stupid internet bullshit)

Think about that involuntary shudder and bad taste you get in your mouth whenever someone over the age of 12 says "My Little Pony", but with Steven Universe.

Jay O
Oct 9, 2012

being a zombie's not so bad
once you get used to it

Ursine Asylum posted:

Think about that involuntary shudder and bad taste you get in your mouth whenever someone over the age of 12 says "My Little Pony", but with Steven Universe.

On the American TV cartoon front, I would also make comparisons to the increasingly intolerable hardcore fanbases of Adventure Time and Korra, but uh...

Yeah, that's unfair. That's completely unfair when you bring Bronies into the picture. There are plenty of cool fans and fan circles for those shows, vocally rancid chunks aside. Those fandoms grew out of a good place of honest enjoyment of the material as it was, and that's still largely where they are, even as the material changed over time. It's not remotely comparable to Bronies. Bronies are The Worst. That fandom straight-up grew out of -chan culture, first adopting the show ironically and then very quickly it became sincere. But the "let's take this media and ram it through our hideous -chan culture lens" part stayed consistent throughout and--

SU Bronies would be a nightmare scenario. Thing literally nobody wants. :stonk:

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Ursine Asylum posted:

I mean it's no big deal though, much like any fandom and indeed life in general, if you just ignore creeps on the internet, it's fine.

VVV: :golfclap:

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Mar 17, 2015

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Jay O posted:

I would also make comparisons to the increasingly intolerable hardcore fanbases of Adventure Time and Korra (AT way moreso) but uh...

Yeah, that's unfair. There are plenty of cool fans and fan circles for those shows, vocally rancid chunks aside. Those fandoms grew out of a good place of honest enjoyment of the material as it was, and that's still largely where they are, even as the material changed over time. It's not remotely comparable to Bronies. Bronies are The Worst. That fandom straight-up grew out of -chan culture, first adopting the show ironically and then very quickly it became sincere. But the "let's take this media and ram it through our hideous -chan culture lens" part stayed consistent throughout and--

I wouldn't worry about it, OC ponies are common since they're easy to draw, but doing an OC gemsona takes a bit more eff-

:stare:

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Jay O posted:

On the American TV cartoon front, I would also make comparisons to the increasingly intolerable hardcore fanbases of Adventure Time and Korra, but uh...

Yeah, that's unfair. That's completely unfair when you bring Bronies into the picture. There are plenty of cool fans and fan circles for those shows, vocally rancid chunks aside. Those fandoms grew out of a good place of honest enjoyment of the material as it was, and that's still largely where they are, even as the material changed over time. It's not remotely comparable to Bronies. Bronies are The Worst. That fandom straight-up grew out of -chan culture, first adopting the show ironically and then very quickly it became sincere. But the "let's take this media and ram it through our hideous -chan culture lens" part stayed consistent throughout and--

You know, I don't think it ever clicked before that the biggest problem with who Bronies are was from the fact that they so heavily overlapped with 4chan people. It all makes sense now. I wonder how they rationalized that show with their extreme hatred of anything relating to being a nice, decent person. Or as they call it: being a SJW.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.
There's a fun quote I picked up on a rewatch from episode 2, Laser Light Cannon, when Steven is asking Greg where the cannon is:

Steven posted:

But they need mom’s cannon. You gotta know where it is, like a cave-dungeon or a cloud fortress, or in a clam at the bottom of the ocean.

Holy poo poo Steven, good guesses! We're at 2 outta 3 - who wants to take odds Rose having a hidden stash of some sort at the bottom of the ocean?

Ursine Asylum posted:

That's fair, but I've been watching the reddit a lot and unless there's a ton of stuff happening on Twitter or Tumblr or something, I think this is overhyped panic. I've yet to see a single person actually refer to themselves as a "gemtleman". Like half a day or so ago I saw some posts of people tentatively starting to ask if maybe it was a good idea to come up with a name for the SU fans, of which various were suggested including gemtlemen.

Then screenshots of those suggestions started to circulate, and were met with derision and doubt. Then it started circulating more and more that some sneople somewhere were actually starting to call themselves that and it was catching on and it's secretly the MLP fans and they're invading and trying take over and omg omg omg

I think we can all relax about this one. It's really stupid, but luckily, it's also not real. (although with all the hype it's building, to the point that SU staff are commenting on it, maybe the name will catch on! :haw:)

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

XboxPants posted:

There's a fun quote I picked up on a rewatch from episode 2, Laser Light Cannon, when Steven is asking Greg where the cannon is:

Holy poo poo Steven, good guesses! We're at 2 outta 3 - who wants to take odds Rose having a hidden stash of some sort at the bottom of the ocean?

Well there's two gems there, they might find it then.

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

The fan love for Peridot and resulting over-the-top wacky fanart and comics continues to crack me up...

via http://makaiwars.tumblr.com/post/113845116439

Quinton fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Mar 17, 2015

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
More fanart please.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
The Robonoids reminds me of mini Tachikomas.

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

I wish I had the skills to isolate the foreground from the background for the duration of the Plug Robonoid's walk cycle when the Gems are riding it through the kindergarten during Marble Madness. It'd make a cool animation loop.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Is there any chance people posting fanart can source it, even just by artist name/screen name, if not a link to their tumblr or twitter? Its kind of rude to repost and rehost artwork without even giving credit where its from. Thanks.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I'm late for the "gems changed history and the United States is different" chat but it should also be noted that Gems have changed the geography too. Look at the Georgia/North Florida area.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Acne Rain posted:

But then what's sour cream, that's not a vegetable.

Well, see, JRPG villains pass through a series of metamorphoses in which they become increasingly monstrous and powerful. Eventually, however, they cross the "bishonen line" and achieve their maximum power while returning to something similar to white-haired prettyboy shape.

Sour Cream has already completed his maturation; Onion is still in the early stages.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
except sour cream is just a real chill dude who plays music with a gameboy :unsmith:

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

KittyEmpress posted:

Is there any chance people posting fanart can source it, even just by artist name/screen name, if not a link to their tumblr or twitter? Its kind of rude to repost and rehost artwork without even giving credit where its from. Thanks.

On the one hand, sure, but on the other hand google reverse image lookup kinda makes the need for that obsolete. I dunno about you but in my browser it's just a right-click option and it'll pretty easily let me know where any image came from. The author info may as well be metadata at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

KittyEmpress posted:

It'd be pretty nice to link them to other people and have a source! :)

Edit: Image search doesn't always turn it up I'm afraid.

• Locked thread