Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Maybe the Glasses really are Stanley and the Six Fingered Hand is someone else. There's a large assumption the Stanley is the author of the books, but it's possible that he passed himself off as one or was a second author.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Sex Robot posted:

Yeah, those are definitely Stanley's glasses, but nothing on this show is done without a reason, there has to be some reason why the glasses and the hand are seperate. Every significant character gets one symbol on the wheel no more no less.

Is that true? I could see the glasses representing Stanley as the brother Stan grew up with, and the hand as "The Author", the person he became after writing the journals and doing whatever he did.

Sex Robot
Jan 11, 2011

Nothing amazing happens here.
Everything is ordinary.

Macaluso posted:

Either McGucket is one of the two, or we haven't been introduced to the character yet

Possible considering we don't have a definite lock for the llama either do we?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Sex Robot posted:

Possible considering we don't have a definite lock for the llama either do we?

Not in the show no, but I think Pacifica is a pretty safe bet for the llama. I think she has been theorized for the llama for a while even before her recent episode, but the big llama painting in her mansion was good enough for me.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE
I think even for Gravity Falls, Triplets would be pretty hokey. That only worked for A Series of Unfortunate Events because that was only one book.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

I mean, for the "who is Dipper and Mabel's grandparent" question, there could be a third sibling to the Stans without it being triplets. They might have a much younger sister or something, who never was a big part of their lives which allows for the Two Seat Swingset symbolism stuff.

As far as the wheel of symbols, I'm not too worried about it yet. "One symbol per character" is just a pattern we've noticed so far. There could be an exception, or there could be a character we haven't met yet, or there could be some other reason to the symbols that just partially overlaps with "one symbol per major character".

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Xelkelvos posted:

Maybe the Glasses really are Stanley and the Six Fingered Hand is someone else. There's a large assumption the Stanley is the author of the books, but it's possible that he passed himself off as one or was a second author.

Counterpoint: Stanley has six fingers, is called "the author of the journals" by Stan.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Sex Robot posted:

Yeah, those are definitely Stanley's glasses, but nothing on this show is done without a reason, there has to be some reason why the glasses and the hand are seperate. Every significant character gets one symbol on the wheel no more no less.

The hand might represent the Journals themselves, rather than their author.

Sex Robot
Jan 11, 2011

Everything is ordinary.

Does anyone have an image that ties Pacifica to the llama? I guess I missed that.

I think the other thing worth noting here is that so far all the icons have been direct representations of something in the show that is an integral part of the character it points to, almost like their brand. Stanford's hat is a signature of his look, as is dippers pinetree logo, as is Ronnie's heart logo etc. Stanley's glasses do this job stirringly in being a unique design of frame. So far there is only an implied link between Stanley and the journals. Yes he has 6 fingers, but the hand icon on Bill's wheel is not Stanley's hand but of the brass hand on the book, the fingers are squared off whereas Stanley's had wasn't. I don't know what this separation of "book" and Stanley implies but it is was done for a reason.

Regardless, the fact that this show lends itself do well to wild theories is part of its charm.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Sex Robot posted:

Does anyone have an image that ties Pacifica to the llama? I guess I missed that.

From inside the hidden room in her mansion

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

Macaluso posted:

Either McGucket is one of the two, or we haven't been introduced to the character yet

It's just occurred to me that if McGucket isn't one of those two, then he has no symbol on the wheel at all. For a character who is so vital to the plot, it seems McGucket may not matter to Bill at all.

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
Make sure you're a good experience.
I'm still not ruling out alternate timeline / parallel universe / time travel shenanigans for the six-fingered hand character. Something like that episode of Star Trek TNG where Riker is cloned by transporter interference, except with the portal.

Otherwise my money is on "character we haven't met yet" who is somehow tied strongly to the journals.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

pksage posted:

Otherwise my money is on "character we haven't met yet" who is somehow tied strongly to the journals.

Yeah. I think everyone is kind of assuming that McGucket is the third person in that illustration in the book of the two guys holding a rope that's wrapped around a third guy that's going into the portal. But it could very well be a third unnamed person who got lost in whatever dimension, and Stan's brother went into the portal to retrieve him, and then the portal got shut down for whatever reason and he got stuck.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com
The Shapeshifter from early in season 2 that was imprisoned in the underground research facility, do we know where that came from? Is it possible that there's a whole species of those on the other side of a portal, and perhaps the new Stan Bro who just arrived is one of them, rather than who he appears to be? That might explain why one character gets two symbols on Bill's wheel, if one's for the real Brother and one's for the fake.

The Shapeshifter episode seemed like a pretty big deal for a one-off thing, I keep expecting something more to come from that eventually.

As for McGucket not having a spot on the wheel, perhaps that's actually the point of his character. The wheel represents all of the vital players in some finely tuned long-term scheme of Bill's, and McGucket isn't supposed to be a part of that at all... so his involvement threatens to derail the plan.

Maybe Bill tried to drive McGucket insane in the first place just to get him out of the way? Fiddleford has specifically made references to a triangle with an eye in his post-mind-wiping ramblings, so he almost certainly encountered Bill at some point.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Robot Hobo posted:

The Shapeshifter episode seemed like a pretty big deal for a one-off thing, I keep expecting something more to come from that eventually.

I expect something to come of that if only because Stanley was apparently running experiments on monsters in the bunker, which is not typically something we associate with a nice person. That's some Umbrella level poo poo.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Robot Hobo posted:

The Shapeshifter from early in season 2 that was imprisoned in the underground research facility, do we know where that came from? Is it possible that there's a whole species of those on the other side of a portal, and perhaps the new Stan Bro who just arrived is one of them, rather than who he appears to be? That might explain why one character gets two symbols on Bill's wheel, if one's for the real Brother and one's for the fake.

It's mentioned on one of the Journal pages that the Shapeshifter came from an egg the author found while excavating. Though to be fair it doesn't say specifically where!

Sex Robot
Jan 11, 2011

Everything is ordinary.

I think it's more that McGucket had the opportunity to be part of it but he was freaked out and consequentially was so determined to not be part of it he invented a device to wipe out his brain.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

Macaluso posted:

Yeah. I think everyone is kind of assuming that McGucket is the third person in that illustration in the book of the two guys holding a rope that's wrapped around a third guy that's going into the portal. But it could very well be a third unnamed person who got lost in whatever dimension, and Stan's brother went into the portal to retrieve him, and then the portal got shut down for whatever reason and he got stuck.

Where did this happen?

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

The hand might represent the Journals themselves, rather than their author.

also literally anybody else with six fingers. gideon and family has four, so let's not count it out that there's another fucker with six fingers who is also important

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011
So, has there been any opponent / monster as terrifying and powerful as ghosts in the series so far? They've been antagonists twice, and they weren't defeated in either of those cases, only leaving when someone appeased them. Not even Bill or the Shapeshifter managed that.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

X_Toad posted:

So, has there been any opponent / monster as terrifying and powerful as ghosts in the series so far? They've been antagonists twice, and they weren't defeated in either of those cases, only leaving when someone appeased them. Not even Bill or the Shapeshifter managed that.

tbf Dipper had that second ghost (un)dead to rights, if he would've completed his little ritual he would've sent that lumberjack packing to the afterlife. But he was a chump and let it go so Pacifica had to save the day.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Ghosts are on a scale, as Dipper noted, from Casperesque to killer lumberjack.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Pick posted:

Ghosts are on a scale, as Dipper noted, from Casperesque to killer lumberjack.

"A class 5 full-torso vaporous apparition!"

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
You need a lot of money to construct a portal of this magnitude, I wouldn't be surprised if Northwest was involved with the project, especially when you remember that tapestry in the mansion.

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
Make sure you're a good experience.

bad posts ahead!!! posted:

You need a lot of money to construct a portal of this magnitude, I wouldn't be surprised if Northwest was involved with the project, especially when you remember that tapestry in the mansion.

Preston Northwest's memories were also one of the "special"/trapped memory cylinders in the Society of the Blind Eye HQ.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Freddy Krueger is a dream hipster?

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
I feel like the finger silverware has shown up somewhere before.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

kefkafloyd posted:

I feel like the finger silverware has shown up somewhere before.

Candy did it.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Candy, in her first appearance.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
This one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccORaXVFYXY

We never see that lizard again, though.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

Pick posted:

Candy did it.

THANK YOU. I knew that was familiar.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
That was about where the 'Candy is BMO' fan art starting.

Nikki Yang and all...

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Mraagvpeine posted:

Where did this happen?

I cannot for the life of me find the picture of it, but there's a shot from the books where it shows a page of two guys holding a rope and a third guy with the rope tied around him jumping into the portal.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
This was the first time (I think) we saw book 1 get flipped through. I hope they go into the whole cliffs thing eventually, I assume the unicorn was more of a throw away gag:

Sex Robot
Jan 11, 2011

Everything is ordinary.

So Mike Inel, the dude who has been doing those cool fan animations of Gravity Falls clips just released his interpretation of a scene from Not What He Seems

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAdg7r8FxCE

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

"Cool" isn't exactly the word I'd use. Yes, they are very well animated, and the camera work on this one was pretty nice, but his characters have this generic "anime cute" look that doesn't reall work for me.
Especially on Grunkle Stan, who should not in any circumstance look that young.

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Mar 18, 2015

Doctor Soup
Nov 4, 2009

I have nothing but confidence in you, and very little of that.
Yeah, I mean good on him for being able to make all that himself, I'm sure it's great for his portfolio, but he manages to take some great scenes from the show and make them extremely cringe-y.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I'm not clicking that.
Not because of its quality but because I have no goodwill or respect for that artist.

Inel's past gravity falls work has been horribly inappropriate, ignoring the characters and the spirit of the show to make things into creepy poo poo. I would prefer no one speak of him here except in whispered disdain.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP
Yeah, he's feeling like the Bleedman of Disney to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
oh cool, it's the anime camera shake on 2fps footage they use to make it look 60fps but instead makes you really nauseous.

• Locked thread