Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
feller
Jul 5, 2006

I use F12 on my mbp to take screenshots. After you press it, you get a stream dialog asking what you want to do with the screenshot.

Are you running EU4 on OSX? Do you have to force quit it every time you exit or do I have something messed up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Senso posted:

Alas, nothing in the Steam screenshots. Oh well, I'll do some more tests, maybe change the screenshot keys to non-F keys.

In Mac OS X, you can also just take screenshots with the usual command-shift-3 key combination.

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working
^^^ Yeah I'll try that tonight.

Omelette du Fromage posted:

I use F12 on my mbp to take screenshots. After you press it, you get a stream dialog asking what you want to do with the screenshot.

Are you running EU4 on OSX? Do you have to force quit it every time you exit or do I have something messed up?

Thing is, the F keys default to some fancy functions, like F12 is raise volume. I thought it was function-F key to have the "real" F12. Volume wasn't actually going up like pressing F12 alone so I thought it was indeed taking screenshots.

And yes I'm playing on OSX. 90% of the time when I close the game, it actually crashes and I get a huge segmentation fault report. 10% of the time it actually reboots the laptop. I hate macs but it's a free laptop I got for work and I'm on a tiny island that doesn't even have a name in EU4 so importing good laptops is annoying.

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
EU4's Mac port needs some love.

Like being able to alt-tab out and not having the game crash on exit.

:paradox:

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Pellisworth posted:

Yeah, naval combat differs from land in two main ways: there's no combat width to restrict how many boats you can bring to a fight, and it's probably going to take a couple years (and a TON of gold) to replace a lost fleet. What that means is you ball all your ships and smash them into the big enemy fleet and if you win they're not going to rebuild it before the war is over.

The weird thing about Naval Combat is that there is supposed to be such a thing, in the form of Naval Positioning. For anyone who didn't play EU3, they rather late in it's life introduced said Naval Positioning, which was meant to cap the maximum effective fleet size, scaled by your admiral's maneouvre score. But from what I can tell, in EU4 it's still calculated (it's the little percentage below your country shield in the naval combat interface) but has no appreciable effect, so the best fleet is always the one with the most ships, and more heavy ships are always better than other types.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
Yeah, unlike land combat quantity of units is definitely better than quality of units, and that's why Maritime is superior to Naval ideas. There's almost no reason to ever take Naval.

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

Allyn posted:

Benghazi is the second largest city in Libya and the largest in that region, it's not just a tcot meme

Although to answer your question anyway, there are numerous, including the project lead

I think there's a country just south of that in CKII labeled Senussi which bothers the poo poo out of me because the Senussi showed up in Libya in the 1840's so it's really out of place.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

the JJ posted:

I think there's a country just south of that in CKII labeled Senussi which bothers the poo poo out of me because the Senussi showed up in Libya in the 1840's so it's really out of place.

I was pretty sure that they were named after the area they came from (hence the name being in Libya), but I could be completely wrong.

GuyDudeBroMan
Jun 3, 2013

by Ralp
So I played as Portugal as soon as this most recent DLC came out and it was pretty silly. Really loving early in the game I got an event that just gave me Goa in India for free (a fully cored center of trade with a port by the way). This was well before I had discovered West Africa, let alone South Africa, let alone loving India.

Once I had Goa as a port I was able to fully map the entire Pacific in like 15 years and start sending colonists right to the Spice Islands without even having to grab any jumping off points in Africa and the Indian Ocean like what you are usually required to do. It was an insane advantage for so early in the game.

Does this still exist? I mean, I guess its ok if you are already sending Explorers into India, but when I got it I had barely gotten a single Brazil colony up and running and I wasn't even close to getting around the horn of Africa yet.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

PittTheElder posted:

The weird thing about Naval Combat is that there is supposed to be such a thing, in the form of Naval Positioning. For anyone who didn't play EU3, they rather late in it's life introduced said Naval Positioning, which was meant to cap the maximum effective fleet size, scaled by your admiral's maneouvre score. But from what I can tell, in EU4 it's still calculated (it's the little percentage below your country shield in the naval combat interface) but has no appreciable effect, so the best fleet is always the one with the most ships, and more heavy ships are always better than other types.

Mountaineer posted:

Yeah, unlike land combat quantity of units is definitely better than quality of units, and that's why Maritime is superior to Naval ideas. There's almost no reason to ever take Naval.

Maritime gives you +2 Leader Maneuver (which improves Positioning as well as boosts Trade Power in a fleet) but I agree, I've never really noticed Positioning doing too much. The +1 Naval Tradition combined with the NT you get from light ships protecting trade will give you pretty good admirals in general, and Maritime also helps you out with the actually important boat-related things, like having more and cheaper boats that repair faster (and in coastal zones) and blockade better.

Worth noting that Maritime unlocks the Confirm Thalassocracy decision for +1 Merchant, -10% Light Ship cost, +0.25 NT, and -2.5% Dip tech cost which is pretty baller and has no drawbacks. If you're a nation in a position that you're considering taking Maritime, you shouldn't have any trouble meeting the reqs for Thalassocracy.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Going to do my first El Dorado game, Castile->Spain because I want something to chill. Some questions:

- How the hell I trash Portugal early on before they start colonizing? Release Galicia and feed them Portuguese cores? I ask because I can't seem to cripple them before they get at least a possession in West Africa;

- Besides Exploration as first group, I was thinking in something different to pursue: 1) Exploration; 2) Religious OR Humanist (don't know which would be better early on; 3) Offensive; 4) Influence; 5) Same as 2; 6) Defensive OR Quantity; 7) Maritime OR Trade; 8) Some military idea group for late game shenanigans;

- North African centers of trade: yes or no?

Also, exploration missions are a godsend.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

GuyDudeBroMan posted:

So I played as Portugal as soon as this most recent DLC came out and it was pretty silly. Really loving early in the game I got an event that just gave me Goa in India for free (a fully cored center of trade with a port by the way). This was well before I had discovered West Africa, let alone South Africa, let alone loving India.

Once I had Goa as a port I was able to fully map the entire Pacific in like 15 years and start sending colonists right to the Spice Islands without even having to grab any jumping off points in Africa and the Indian Ocean like what you are usually required to do. It was an insane advantage for so early in the game.

Does this still exist? I mean, I guess its ok if you are already sending Explorers into India, but when I got it I had barely gotten a single Brazil colony up and running and I wasn't even close to getting around the horn of Africa yet.

I wonder if the triggers are messed up for that, doesn't sound right to me.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

GuyDudeBroMan posted:

Ohhhh, THAT'S how Portugal got into the Indian Ocean. Despite me owning all of Africa and surrounding islands east of Timbuktu as Ethiopia.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

alcaras posted:

EU4's Mac port needs some love.

Like being able to alt-tab out and not having the game crash on exit.

:paradox:

Borderless windowed solves one of these problems.

One.

:smith:

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Transmetropolitan posted:

- How the hell I trash Portugal early on before they start colonizing? Release Galicia and feed them Portuguese cores? I ask because I can't seem to cripple them before they get at least a possession in West Africa;
This is a common strategy these days. If you take Madeira and the Azores in the first war you may be able to slow them down but I doubt you can stop them (I have not done it/tried it myself).

- Besides Exploration as first group, I was thinking in something different to pursue: 1) Exploration; 2) Religious OR Humanist (don't know which would be better early on; 3) Offensive; 4) Influence; 5) Same as 2; 6) Defensive OR Quantity; 7) Maritime OR Trade; 8) Some military idea group for late game shenanigans;
If you want to colonize a lot, the best thing to do is Exploration => Expansion => Quantity (gives you a total of 4 colonists and a bunch of Colony Growth modifiers). If you would rather focus on expanding in Europe you could mix in other things, but I have no idea why you would not want to focus on colonizing first and foremost (If you kill Portugal and monopolize a lot of the colonial areas Sevilla is filthy rich and gives you the money to do pretty much whatever you want in Europe if played right).

Not unless you like spending a billion admin points on coring off-culture off-religion provinces. May be something to do later on once you get the Catholic missionary bonus decisions rolled out but it is definitely optional. Works better with Humanist or if you can grab land that you can convert and release as a Catholic vassal that you feed land (so the vassal pays the exorbitant coring costs).

qft

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.

Elendil004 posted:

I like the idea of a pirate nation, as someone did earlier. I know he said privateering wasn't that profitable, but what ideas did you take, and what might be some good ideas? What about start location? I like the caribbean, but that would take forever for trade to really start happening, if I go in the Med I have to contend with galleys and I'd rather just go all lights.

Thoughts? Especially from the dude who just finished a pirate game.

I chose to overwrite Tunis with my own custom nation. IMO it's pretty much the perfect starting location as a pirate nation since you can pirate Seville, Venezia, Alexandria and Constantinople right from the start. You can't pirate France, the English Channel or Lubeck without taking some ports from Portugal and Spain though. Caribbean I would feel like you wouldn't be seeing any opportunity for any pirating action until the late 16th century and by that point you could have already naturally dominated all the new world trade routes. Maybe starting in a later start date in the Caribbeans and calling yourself Blackbeard could be interesting.

As for pirating related ideas I only took Maritime. Maritime doesn't have any ideas that improve privateering but completing Maritime let's you take a national decision that increases privateering efficiency. Espionage has an idea that improves privateering but then you would have to take espionage. There's a policy that increases privateering but it requires taking Offensive and Exploration. I wasn't interesting in colonizing so I didn't take exploration.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Going to do my first El Dorado game, Castile->Spain because I want something to chill. Some questions:

1. They'll likely get at least West Africa, and that's ok. The big thing is to stop them from getting to the New World, which should be pretty easy. I tend to have them eaten around 1480 or so-you can do it in 2 wars if you're quick, 3 if you're a bit unlucky and they get multiple African cores and/or a couple of the small island groups in the middle of the atlantic off the coast of Africa. You could likely stop them altogether, but that will necessitate a truce break which more than likely you won't want to do.

2. My current game is something like exploration/defensive (misclicked, was supposed to be offensive)/quantity/admin/influence. Plan is to follow up with Offensive, then maybe Humanist or Quality. With the colonial nations giving merchants, I think that really cuts into the need for trade, and more land=more money=stronger navy, so the regular land offensive stuff always seems the best bet to boost navy to me. Expansion could be good if you want to move into Asia earlier (I'm hoping to just wait out dip 22 for imperialism, but I'm fairly behind in dip tech...)

3. I snagged a couple spots in N. Africa from missions + the trade port, and I have a semi-neglected vassal down there. Morocco isn't quite as bad since it seems you get a colony discount I believe, but Tunis is just a nightmare. Let someone else pay to core/convert (your vassal), then just absorb them later.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Mountaineer posted:

Naval combat is definitely boring. It is also really hard to get Naval Tradition up high, even if you're privateering, protecting trade, and (had) Knowledge Transfer, because you generally had one major naval battle per war. Unlike a land war where you have a million battles.

Naval combat feels like it is one of those things that was left to be improved on later in a patch or DLC, like espionage is. One cool thing I can think of is to have that Flagship event actually give you a super beefy version of a ship, that gives the fleet a morale bonus, and have some sort of combat width like it was mentioned above.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

I chose to overwrite Tunis with my own custom nation. IMO it's pretty much the perfect starting location as a pirate nation since you can pirate Seville, Venezia, Alexandria and Constantinople right from the start. You can't pirate France, the English Channel or Lubeck without taking some ports from Portugal and Spain though. Caribbean I would feel like you wouldn't be seeing any opportunity for any pirating action until the late 16th century and by that point you could have already naturally dominated all the new world trade routes. Maybe starting in a later start date in the Caribbeans and calling yourself Blackbeard could be interesting.

As for pirating related ideas I only took Maritime. Maritime doesn't have any ideas that improve privateering but completing Maritime let's you take a national decision that increases privateering efficiency. Espionage has an idea that improves privateering but then you would have to take espionage. There's a policy that increases privateering but it requires taking Offensive and Exploration. I wasn't interesting in colonizing so I didn't take exploration.

What did you take for national ideas for the custom nation? What worked/didn't work?

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
I'm trying a game with AI bonuses on (I fancied playing Ottomans and it seemed only fair) and holy poo poo, 4 province Venice comes out of nowhere with like 160 ships :psyduck: That's more than twice what I have and I'm a good chunk over my force limit. Do any of you guys use that setting regularly? I can't imagine what it would be like having it on for a smaller nation.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.

Elendil004 posted:

What did you take for national ideas for the custom nation? What worked/didn't work?

I took core cost and discipline as my starters and monthly autonomy as my ambition. IIRC my ideas were idea cost, privateer efficiency, ship build cost, land attrition for enemy, naval forcelimit, and leader fire. Monthly autonomy was unnecessary since by the time I unlocked it autonomy was a non issue. If you would only choose one instead of both then tech cost should've been better than idea cost. Privateer, naval forcelimit, and ship build cost was just for keeping up with the idea of being a pirate nation. Land attrition too, I thought people would invade me with their pirate cb but no one ever did so it ended up completely useless.

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Ok, I have a stupid question about guarantees: Country A is guaranteeing B, who is allied with C. If I declare on C, and B honors the alliance (as non co-belligerent), will country A join as well? I'm assuming no but I want to be absolutely sure.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
Pretty sure A would only get called in if you selected B as a co-belligerent, assuming it works like an alliance (and it should).

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
I think I'm going to give that "Chinese OPM in California" thing a try. Is there any particular combination of national ideas people would recommend as flavorful and/or mechanically suitable?

Actually, it would be really cool if there was some kind of Steam Workshop support for precreated custom nation setups, so people could share these things.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Koramei posted:

I'm trying a game with AI bonuses on (I fancied playing Ottomans and it seemed only fair) and holy poo poo, 4 province Venice comes out of nowhere with like 160 ships :psyduck: That's more than twice what I have and I'm a good chunk over my force limit. Do any of you guys use that setting regularly? I can't imagine what it would be like having it on for a smaller nation.

Are you sure Venice wasn't allied with Aragon? They start out with a huge fleet of galleys at the start. Also they drag in Naples who start with a ton of boats.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

You have two options:
1) Take all their overseas bases and contain them. Grab the Azores, Madeira, and any West Africa possessions they might have. This depends on you having Exploration ideas and naval supremacy of course. Once you have that, they likely won't have the colonial range to go anywhere until Dip 7.
2) Ignore those colonies, because they don't matter. In this option, you just grab all their rich provinces; the AI won't colonize it if they can't afford it, so your job is to see to it that they can't. Just keep hammering them every time the truce runs out, and slowly eat them.

Koramei posted:

That's AI bonuses in a nutshell, yeah. I play like that from time to time, but only when I'm playing as someone like Russia, the Ottomans, or Brandenburg. The Brandenburg run was pretty hellish, but knowing that you can be demolished at any time by a medium alliance of AI countries does make things more interesting. Really requires you to keep up on your diplomacy game too, but I can't imagine it'd be any good with the current bug with the AI ignoring allies.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Mar 17, 2015

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Roadie posted:

I think I'm going to give that "Chinese OPM in California" thing a try. Is there any particular combination of national ideas people would recommend as flavorful and/or mechanically suitable?

Actually, it would be really cool if there was some kind of Steam Workshop support for precreated custom nation setups, so people could share these things.

I enjoy the idea and will likely do a run as a Chinofornia eventually...the only custom ideas I could think of that would be essential would be the global +20 Settler Increase early, maybe in your traditions, so your colonies grow that much faster. Depending on how many points you limit yourself to, you could also include the +1 Colonist idea too. Coring cost reduction would synergize well same continent colonisation. Its late and I'm tired and that is all that I can think of right now :v:

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
This is going fairly well. I suppose I shouldn't have ignored Lithuania and Poland, but I managed to get a huge chunk of Scandinavia by feeding Finland. Nogai and Timurids are allied, but my plan is go around them to the east, at least until they get occupied by a war. Sibir is my vassal. I'd like to cut down the side of the Ottomans to block them from expanding. I have Expansion, Defensive, and Religious as ideas. Low manpower is my biggest risk, so I tend to throw lots of mercs into wars. I think maybe I should pick up a merc related idea or go into Patriarchical Authority more?

RonJeremysBalzac
Jul 29, 2004

:britain:

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

GreenMarine posted:

This is going fairly well. I suppose I shouldn't have ignored Lithuania and Poland, but I managed to get a huge chunk of Scandinavia by feeding Finland. Nogai and Timurids are allied, but my plan is go around them to the east, at least until they get occupied by a war. Sibir is my vassal. I'd like to cut down the side of the Ottomans to block them from expanding. I have Expansion, Defensive, and Religious as ideas. Low manpower is my biggest risk, so I tend to throw lots of mercs into wars. I think maybe I should pick up a merc related idea or go into Patriarchical Authority more?

Has Poland-Lithuania taken Aristocratic? You might want to pick up administrative for the Core Cost reduction if you plan on making more conquests. Also you should westernise so you can do the St. Petersburg decision.

I've never seen any reason not to max Patriarch Authority (and as Russia you should never be hurting for cash). Get it to maximum then alternate between increasing it and getting the monarch point/stability from the events for reducing it and maintaining it at 100%.

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

GuyDudeBroMan posted:

This kind of historical determinism is really bad and I hope it's fixed/removed. I prefer EU when it simulates historical mechanics to allow things to happen kind of like they did in OTL, not force them to happen like EU2 did.

firestruck
Dec 28, 2010

nullify me

KoldPT posted:

This kind of historical determinism is really bad and I hope it's fixed/removed. I prefer EU when it simulates historical mechanics to allow things to happen kind of like they did in OTL, not force them to happen like EU2 did.

That sounds more like a bugged event than railroading to me.

Last Emperor
Oct 30, 2009

This is the event he means I think:

Vasco da Gama in India
Can only fire once
Trigger:

Country is Portugal
Has at least 1 ports
India:
Has been discovered by Portugal
Mean time to happen

Base mean time to happen of 12 months
Option: Glorious!:

Adds core on Goa
If:
Limited to:
Goa:
The owner of the province:
Is AI controlled
Goa:
Cedes province to Portugal
Changes prestige by 10

Sorced
Nov 5, 2009
Yeah that event has a weird scope and should probably require portugal to know about the naval route to india through south africa.

As far as almost gamebreaking bugs go the ai war declaration bugs in this patch never stop being funny to me. I was wondering why constantinople was occupied by england instead of the ottomans and it turns out the romans got a tad bit ambitious.

:allears:

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah my last game I took to 1821 was pretty funny, I had Sweden declaring against their rival Norway constantly despite having me as 1200 force limit HRE as backup. I kinda like it though. If the player is reasonably strong and allies a lot of people, the AI tends to be too timid.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I'm not having as much trouble with beating up Eastern Europe with GH as I thought I would. My units are bad in pips but I had a series of high MIL rulers so I can keep up in military tech. I can easily take provinces and reparations from Lithuania when they're at war with the European clusterfuck. I stole the gold province from Kazan so I can bankroll a huge army.

Jolan
Feb 5, 2007
Two consecutive games now, I've seen Poland being entirely erased from existence by 1600, mostly eaten by Teutonic Order, Bohemia and Hungary. I really wonder what's going on with them since the last patch.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Jolan posted:

Two consecutive games now, I've seen Poland being entirely erased from existence by 1600, mostly eaten by Teutonic Order, Bohemia and Hungary. I really wonder what's going on with them since the last patch.

Probably the bug that AI is not factoring alliances into their wardecs.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Is it possible to become a formable nation as a custom nation? I've seen conflicting info.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Wee Tinkle Wand posted:

Is it possible to become a formable nation as a custom nation? I've seen conflicting info.

Player nations are supposed to be able to, although I didn't see the decision for forming them in a couple instances. You can definitely take all of Japan except 'Japan's' two provinces, as a custom daimyo, immediately annex them, and instantly become unified formable Japan though.

• Locked thread