Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

republic
Aug 15, 2004

FUN FOR THE FUN GOD
FRIENDS FOR THE FRIENDSHIP THRONE

I did a fresh install of Windows when I got it. I'm sure it's on the manufacturer drivers page; I'll go back and take a look around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)

Flipperwaldt posted:

In that case he'd save even more not getting the cache drive in the first place.

I had one in my laptop before I put in an SSD and it's not worth $40, period.

I had a hybrid drive and I think that's way better than a rotational, but I don't know about a caching drive.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

republic posted:

I did a fresh install of Windows when I got it. I'm sure it's on the manufacturer drivers page; I'll go back and take a look around.

Looks like it's called Lenovo Energy Management.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

butt dickus posted:

You can already get the adapters but they're janky and require a PCIe connector on the laptop which is probably going to have 4 or fewer lanes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bP_8EYQ-2RA

What about USB C? Is it fast enough to run an external video card?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I liked the quote from a couple pages back, something to the effect of, "Nuclear Fusion and External GPUs: technologies that will be life changing and have been just 2-3 years away now for decades"

I though lightning bolt (external connector for the PCIe bus) would bring in a new era of external GPUs but it never really materialized.

edit: in that video, does that guy have a wooden box as a docking station for his laptop?

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Mar 17, 2015

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Hadlock posted:

I liked the quote from a couple pages back, something to the effect of, "Nuclear Fusion and External GPUs: technologies that will be life changing and have been just 2-3 years away now for decades"

I though lightning bolt (external connector for the PCIe bus) would bring in a new era of external GPUs but it never really materialized.

Shouldn't USB C work as a PCI-E port? USB-C is going to be in a lot more devices than lightning bolt ever would.

I Am A Robot
Jul 1, 2006
Just accepted a grad school offer and they're getting me a laptop. I'll be using it for computational modelling and analysis. I'll also likely be installing Ubuntu on it.

I'm not certain what the budget is but it's either not going to be a factor or it'll be ~$1000.

Any suggestions?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Probably a T530 or T440 with the upgraded graphics card for physx etc

Nitrousoxide posted:

Shouldn't USB C work as a PCI-E port? USB-C is going to be in a lot more devices than lightning bolt ever would.

Thunder/lightning bolt is a literal external pinout for the PCIe bus, to the point that it's an actual security risk for the computer to directly access system memory, etc. there is no intermediate chip.

USB-C has dedicated high speed bus lines but I think it's all routed through a USB controller chip. I might be wrong, it may be a PCIe extender as well.

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Mar 17, 2015

USDA Choice
Jul 4, 2004

BIG TEN PRIDE
I've never seen the Lenovo outlet this depleted. Is this a natural part of their inventory cycle or did they make some fundamental change to it?

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
USB-C is as much of a security risk because of you pretend to be a keyboard you can do anything.

Apok
Jul 22, 2005
I have a title now!

Hadlock posted:

Oh right, I had to go by the mall, Apple store said they won't have the new Macbook on display until April 10th. Microsoft Store did, however, have the new XPS 13 on display, two of the 1080p IPS non-touch and one of the quad-HD+ touch screens. I was a little suprised to see that the non-touch screen had a traditional looking screen (tiny bezel still, though), I was expecting a glass screen on both. The glass screen is definitely flashier, and that matte screen looks kind of dull in comparison, but really they're equal brightness and I think the 1080p IPS has better color reproduction than the quad-HD.

The 1080p is matte and on the left, quad-HD touch is the "infinity" glass screen on the right

And also running MS Word

The end result is they're both very high quality screens, and when it's not side by side with that glass display, the 1080p screen is actually very, very nice. I think this might be the laptop that replaces my X230.

Also you can see that the 8.1 OS scales nicely here, if I didn't point out that the screen on the right was 2560x1440 and the screen on the left was 1920x1080 you might not have noticed based on the lack of GUI scaling (start button, system clock, etc).

Quad-HD means 4x720p in case you were wondering.

So I was in the market for a new laptop that was portable but still had enough muscle to run some high end programs. I bike to work so it had to be something that was light and fit in my small commuter backpack.

I saw the XPS 13 online and wanted to look at it in person so I drove to the mall and looked at it at the Microsoft store. Walked out of the store with one since I had a discount due to working in a research institution.

I LOVE IT! I had some reservations about the touch screen since I never thought I'd use it, but they didn't sell the 8GB RAM/256GB SSD with a non-touch screen. I'm already using the touch screen to surf the web and only using the physical keyboard to type if I need to type something long out.

I tested a few renders and they go up pretty fast. The resolution is amazing. The default zoom on the XPS 13 is set to as high as Windows allows so the screen is easy to navigate. The resolution is a ridiculous 3200x1800 which means everything is tiny at 100% zoom, but thankfully the scaling corrects everything. You still get great detail on graphics while everything else looks 1080p or so. I dunno I can't tell normally.

And the shell is sweet. Its solid as can be and looks real purty sitting on the table. Overall I'm happy with my purchase so far. I'll start raging if things go bad but Dell seems to have made a solid piece of equipment.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I'm kinda surprised that AMD/Nvidia haven't partnered up with someone to manufacture a line of gaming ultrabooks with external cards on a proprietary 8 or 16x PCIe port.

I mean all they'd need is one really good laptop and a good marketing campaign.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

MikeJF posted:

I'm kinda surprised that AMD/Nvidia haven't partnered up with someone to manufacture a line of gaming ultrabooks with external cards on a proprietary 8 or 16x PCIe port.

I mean all they'd need is one really good laptop and a good marketing campaign.

What would be the point of that - if you're going to go to all the trouble and expense why not just have a whole separate desktop?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

dissss posted:

What would be the point of that - if you're going to go to all the trouble and expense why not just have a whole separate desktop?

And yet people buy gaming laptops.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Gaming laptops have their place, like if you travel a lot for work but still want to make raid night or whatever.

I would totally buy a laptop with an external graphics card for gaming out-of-town.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

vulturesrow posted:

Looking for a laptop recommendation. I do game quite a bit; stuff like Civ, Hearthstone, Heroes of the Storm. My current laptop is an Asus G60VX which was really good for what I do. I do user my laptop for stuff other than gaming. I am in the military so it's used a lot as a desktop replacement essentially. Looking for something around 800 dollars. I found this which looks pretty good:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834152568
;

Sorry to be "that guy" but if anyone could weigh in on this I'd appreciate. I'm moving in a couple weeks and would like to take care of this before I do.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

sarehu posted:

I had a hybrid drive and I think that's way better than a rotational, but I don't know about a caching drive.
This is what the read speeds looked like on my cache drive after three months:

aka around 10% of the read speed of the hard drive it's supposed to support.

Don't know if it's poo poo firmware on the cache drive or garbage NAND or if 16GB just isn't enough to get decent enough wear leveling for the massive amount of writes it sees or if the caching software is to blame or whatever. All I know is the gains were underwhelming when it was new and that at the end it took about a minute to wake the laptop from sleep.

The benefit of it being a separate cache drive was that I could remove it when it finally broke.

If it all comes at no extra cost, yeah, why the gently caress not. But $40 is better put towards something that makes a real difference. A screen upgrade, RAM or savings towards a real SSD.

It's possible hybrid drives do better, I have no idea.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Hadlock posted:

USB-C has dedicated high speed bus lines but I think it's all routed through a USB controller chip. I might be wrong, it may be a PCIe extender as well.
USB-C is just the connector. USB 3.1 is the new spec. And even then not really. All current devices with USB-C ports are USB 3.1 Gen 1. Which is actually USB 3.0 that was renamed because the USB-IF is retarded. So they're really only plain old USB 3.0 5Gbps ports on a USB 3.0 controller but with a fancy new connector.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.

vulturesrow posted:

;

Sorry to be "that guy" but if anyone could weigh in on this I'd appreciate. I'm moving in a couple weeks and would like to take care of this before I do.

You can find that one for $700 if you shop around http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IQ4G8U8...ASIN=B00IQ4G8U8

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...bf-d778686281ad

http://www.compsource.com/pn/GP70Leopard010/-/?src=14

I looked around at Civ and people said it should work for it.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

Any alternative recommendations for around the same price?

Sir Pukesalot
Nov 3, 2012

vulturesrow posted:

Maybe the lenovo y50 with the B&N gold link? Otherwise i don't know.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Apok posted:

Overall I'm happy with my purchase so far. I'll start raging if things go bad but Dell seems to have made a solid piece of equipment.

Thanks for the writeup, I just ordered the exact same config as you have a few days ago but I have to wait over 2 weeks for it to arrive :negative:.

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

Just pulled the trigger on a T450s for $650. Thanks to everyone in this thread for all the valuable info. I hadn't originally planned on upgrading to the 1080p IPS screen, but since I was already spending a little more than I meant to I figured I'd bite the bullet and shell out the extra $70. Hopefully it's worth the extra cash.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.

vulturesrow posted:

I'd say go for it at 700.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

butt dickus posted:

USB-C is just the connector. USB 3.1 is the new spec. And even then not really. All current devices with USB-C ports are USB 3.1 Gen 1. Which is actually USB 3.0 that was renamed because the USB-IF is retarded. So they're really only plain old USB 3.0 5Gbps ports on a USB 3.0 controller but with a fancy new connector.

Is the power negotiated separate from the data controller? I think the current "blue" box style connector is only rated for 4.5W while the type-C connector is technically rated for 100W. The actual power consumption of a Macbook lies somewhere between those two numbers so I am thinking a new controller chip is being used here, last time I checked people still didn't know the mfg or model of the chip

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Since the OP hasn't been updated since forever I am just going to ask for a recommendation.

$700 price point.
Quad CPU, intel.
15 inch.
On board GPU is fine.
mSATA would be nice.
HP preferred.

I will put a fresh Win7 on it and don't want to pay extra for a useless touchscreen.

Setting this up for a family member who just had a terrible experience with a Win8 computer that was inundated with bloatware. I convinced her to return it and just follow my advice.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Hadlock posted:

Is the power negotiated separate from the data controller? I think the current "blue" box style connector is only rated for 4.5W while the type-C connector is technically rated for 100W. The actual power consumption of a Macbook lies somewhere between those two numbers so I am thinking a new controller chip is being used here, last time I checked people still didn't know the mfg or model of the chip
I think the 4.5W (900mA @ 5V) is for host to device. USB Power Delivery is a separate thing and has existed for a while. Probably since 500mA stopped being enough to get our phones charged in a reasonable amount of time and vendors started making things out of spec. You're right that the Power Delivery spec does have extra modes for the Type-C connector.

So yeah, I should have specified that charging through the port is new but for all other purposes it's USB 3.0 with a new hole.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Waltzing Along posted:

Since the OP hasn't been updated since forever

I made an update, here is the bulk of the changes. Looking for input/critisims as apparently this gets read a lot.

Hadlock's OP posted:

Ivy Bridge vs Haswell vs Broadwell and where is Sky Lake?

Ivy Bridge, Haswell and Broadwell are all about as fast as each other. You get about 2-5% improvement in performance with each generation.Your laptop mostly sits at idle and impressive advances in SSD technology make the CPU less important these days. The important thing is that an Ivy Bridge powered laptop will get 5-6 hours battery life, a Haswell gets 9 hours battery life and Broadwell gets 10.5 hours and doesn't need a fan to keep itself cool.

Since Haswell was delayed, and Broadwell was delayed even further, Intel has elected NOT to release Skylake mobile until 2016. At the earliest.

Often Recommended Laptops sorted by OP's whimsy and general price range

TL;DR
Under $300 and not a chromebook: Asus X205 from Microsoft Store for $200 or HP Stream 11 which is a little faster
$640-1000 in a rough order, T450, T450s, X250, Yoga 2 Pro, Macbook Air non-retina, XPS 13
$1000+ In rough order, T550, W550, Macbook retina, Macbook Pro Retina

Lenovo
$850 - x240/x250 - 12.5" "ultraportable" laptop with IPS (better than TN) display in a variety of resolutions. Intel HD graphics are good enough for Steam games under $25. I personally own the x230 and may buy the x250. OP's Top Pick. See also: Dell XPS 13, 2015 Macbook
$650-900 - T440/T450 - 14" do-everything laptop. Comes in a variety of sub-models like the T440u, T450s etc. If you want a good laptop for under $1000 to go to college with buy this
$900-1000 :pcgaming: Lenovo Y50 - this is NOT a Thinkpad, but it is a very reliable "Gaming Laptop" which has gotten a number of upgrades over the last 2 years and is frequently recommended
$900-1000 Yoga - this is a fantastic "convertable" laptop and has gotten great reviews. Comes in Yoga 11, Yoga 13, Yoga 2 Pro (13.3"), Thinkpad Yoga (12.5") flavors.
$1000+ T550/W550 - 15" do-everything and more laptop. Holds up to 4 sticks of ram, available with Quadro graphics for physX and cuda computational stuff (mathematica, solidworks etc) on the go. If you are in engineering or hard sciences this upgrade might be worthwhile. Also available in a true quad core (8 logical processors)

Dell
$850-1200 - XPS 13 13" "ultraportable" laptop with IPS display in 1080p or 3200x1800 QHD+ touchscreen, high build quality, definitely worth looking at. Fits between the T450 and X250 in size and price while having a better screen and build quality. OP's Top Pick See also: Thinkpad X250, 2015 Macbook

Asus
$200 X205 - this is asus' "son of Eee PC" and if you order it from the Microsoft Store direct you can get it for $199, make sure you opt out of the MS Office 365 to get that price. You get what you pay for, not upgradable, only about 20GB of usable space, fast enough for Netflix, Facebook Youtube but not much else. It does have USB and SD for expansion if you're a masochist. The keyboard and trackpad are mind blowing for the price point, above average (just barely) and the screen is about what you'd find on a quality mid-grade laptop. For $200.

HP
$250 Stream 11 - this is a little faster than the X205 and is priced as such.

Chromebooks:
Toshiba makes an Intel powered x86 model with a really nice IPS 1080p screen for about $300
HP can't seem to make a power adapter that will survive for more than 6 months
Asus/Acer make great chromebooks, the C720 in particular has legendary mod support from the community (they're all rootable for the most part). I have seen very, very few complaints about these devices despite their low specs. If you don't like taking chances this is a Good Buy.
Samsung makes their Chromebook 2 but the Exynos ARM processor is a little wheezy trying to keep up with more than 2 chrome tabs and the screen is 1080p but not amazing apparently

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Mar 17, 2015

Sir Pukesalot
Nov 3, 2012

Hadlock posted:

I made an update, here is the bulk of the changes. Looking for input/critisims as apparently this gets read a lot.

The Lenovo ThinkPad Yoga now has 12" (actually 12,5") 14" and 15" flavors, but everything else looks drat good!

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I will add that, thanks. Is the Yoga 3 any good five months later? It got lukewarm reviews at launch last fall.

Now we need a new thread title. I was thinking something like 'Laptop Megathread: Better Buy Broadwell' but I think we can do better

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

"Broadwell? Might as well Skylake"

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

More like Skywait, Skylate, Skynever, etc. might as well Broadnow

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

It's not a laptop but you might as well mention that the Surface Pro 3 is something that should at least be considered if you're looking at ultrabooks and how it fits in to what you've listed.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Mar 18, 2015

EB Nulshit
Apr 12, 2014

It was more disappointing (and surprising) when I found that even most of Manhattan isn't like Times Square.
Need a new laptop asap. Like, tonight/right now. Can I just walk into any best buy and point to a macbook pro and know I'm getting the latest (2015) one? Thanks!

E: actually, I can go to an apple store tomorrow. Guess I'll do that instead.

EB Nulshit fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Mar 18, 2015

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The XPS13 comes pretty drat lean.

They don't even have some of Dell's apps preinstalled on there. I don't see a need to wipe this after purchase. I'd remove Dell Backup and Recovery because it's annoying but otherwise it's all good to go.

EB Nulshit
Apr 12, 2014

It was more disappointing (and surprising) when I found that even most of Manhattan isn't like Times Square.
Does anyone here do iOS development on a 13-inch macbook (or air or pro)? Is it a complete pain in the rear end at anything less than 15 inches, or can I adjust the retina display to make the effective resolution high enough to not feel horrible?

JacksLibido
Jul 21, 2004
Got the Lenovo Y50-70 with the IPS screen the other day. First impression; it's dim but pretty. View angle is pretty decent from what I've seen of other non-lenovo laptops, I'm not seeing much in the way of color drift like I've seen reported with the other screens, but I'm definitely noticing the dimness. It's not TERRIBLE, it's still perfectly usable/enjoyable, but it's definitely something you'll notice if you work in a brightly lit room. As for game performance, it's run pretty much everything I own at high/ultra settings (except for Atilla:TW) and I haven't notice any crazy heat issue for what it is.

Once I got it I immediately went to swap out the hybrid HDD with a SSD EVO I had lying around and ran into what turned out to be a serious problem. The screws on the back are coated in some pretty serious locktite, which made it seriously difficult to unscrew them. Apparently it made it difficult to get them IN as well since 2 of them were mis-aligned, resulting in a side screw that I got out (but completely stripped) and a center screw thats just straight hosed. I tried using an extractor but no joy, and was just about to drill it out when I figured I'd give customer support a try. 20 minutes on the phone and I have a brand new laptop headed my way and they're taking the old one back for free. Seriously AWESOME customer support!

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

JacksLibido posted:

Got the Lenovo Y50-70 with the IPS screen the other day. First impression; it's dim but pretty. View angle is pretty decent from what I've seen of other non-lenovo laptops, I'm not seeing much in the way of color drift like I've seen reported with the other screens, but I'm definitely noticing the dimness. It's not TERRIBLE, it's still perfectly usable/enjoyable, but it's definitely something you'll notice if you work in a brightly lit room.

Sounds similar to the panel in my Asus N550 - it looks okay but isn't nearly as bright as I was expecting it to be.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

EB Nulshit posted:

Does anyone here do iOS development on a 13-inch macbook (or air or pro)? Is it a complete pain in the rear end at anything less than 15 inches, or can I adjust the retina display to make the effective resolution high enough to not feel horrible?

Yes, the 13" is a very popular developer laptop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EB Nulshit
Apr 12, 2014

Cool, thanks!

Is there any way that I can hook up a pc's DVI or HDMI out to a macbook pro? I want to setup a linux box at home that I can ssh into, but I don't have a monitor.