Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
Yeah I knew 20-30 would buy poo poo gear so I was thinking of going up to 50 for my first rod. "Shakespeare Ugly Stik GX2 Spinning Rod Combo" on Amazon, the 6 footer is $50 and I've heard good things. I haven't fished since I was a child and I only really remember catching sunfish in ponds near campgrounds. I've actually been a vegetarian for a few years but am going to reintroduce maybe a half pound of meat a week, only what I've gathered for myself.

Google says the semi-local lakes are mostly smallmouth, trout and perch. Those sound find to me, anything but carp I guess.

Thanks for the info from both of you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Just remember to kill any carp you catch. Mega invasive destructive species.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Personally, I think Ugly Sticks are some of the best non-fancy rods out there. I got one on closeout at Dicks for like $8, and it pretty quickly became my all around utility rod. It's been perfect for fishing off the dock. I've got it paired with a bottom of the line Shimano reel and couldn't be happier. Not going to be too pissed if a kid steps on it or kicks it into the water or something, but I've been very surprised at how good it is.

JRay88
Jan 4, 2013
I've had good luck with every ugly stick I've owned. They're great rods for beginners. drat near impossible to break. I would also recommend getting some new line. Usually the line that comes pre spooled on the reals is either crap or really old, or both. I would recommend 8-10 lb test mono. Sorry I can't help you with lures, I am utterly unfamiliar with what fish up there will be biting this time of year.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

LingcodKilla posted:

There was this guy in Florida who fished at a state park and would catch Tilapia all day and eat them or give them to neighbors. He was actually pretty poor and eventually couldn't afford to fish everyday, but the Rangers would let him in for free because he would haul out 2 or 3 bucket loads of tilapia every day and they saw it as a service.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
Ugly Stick it is then. I didn't even know tilapia were invasive until you made me look them up, I can't see any moral problem with eating a thing there's too many of. Time to learn which kind of bait works on which fish.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

extra stout posted:

Ugly Stick it is then. I didn't even know tilapia were invasive until you made me look them up, I can't see any moral problem with eating a thing there's too many of. Time to learn which kind of bait works on which fish.

You wont run into tilapia up north more of a warm water species. Seconding ugly sticks. I have at least two in my collection that are still servicable after 20 years, so even finding a old one at a garage sale with good eyelets is a viable option.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
Hah, I am in the same boat. Last time I fished was when I was a teen and never even learned to tie a knot. Ugly sticks sounds like a good place to start.

Local lake has crappies and both large and small mouth bass. I was thinking of targetting the crappies since apparently they aren't as finicky as bass to catch? Or I'm reading old information. I remember from my kid days that having a couple spinners, some plaster worms, and maybe a crankbait or two wouldn't be a bad start. Anything else on the general list? I'm hoping I'll have a boat by the end of the year to get started on. That was the thing that soured me on fishing when I was younger. Fishing from shore was pretty much a way to never catch anything ever it seemed like. On the other hand, having a boat to get out to the middle of a lake/pond was where you would catch things. That was in florida though, so perhaps I was just being bad fishing unstocked retention ponds.

JRay88
Jan 4, 2013
I love fishing from the dock. Closer to the beer than in the middle of the lake/pond.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

JuffoWup posted:

Hah, I am in the same boat. Last time I fished was when I was a teen and never even learned to tie a knot. Ugly sticks sounds like a good place to start.

Local lake has crappies and both large and small mouth bass. I was thinking of targetting the crappies since apparently they aren't as finicky as bass to catch? Or I'm reading old information. I remember from my kid days that having a couple spinners, some plaster worms, and maybe a crankbait or two wouldn't be a bad start. Anything else on the general list? I'm hoping I'll have a boat by the end of the year to get started on. That was the thing that soured me on fishing when I was younger. Fishing from shore was pretty much a way to never catch anything ever it seemed like. On the other hand, having a boat to get out to the middle of a lake/pond was where you would catch things. That was in florida though, so perhaps I was just being bad fishing unstocked retention ponds.

So getting out in a boat is a good way to get a better angle on fish, but not necessarily in the middle of the lake. Being in a boat makes it a lot easier to fish shoreline in a more natural way. More pelagic species like catfish, walleye, and white basses will be out in the middle, but sunfish, black basses, pike, pickerel, etc will be hanging around the shore picking off things falling into the water from the bank or overhanging vegetation, or preying on small-bodied species and young of year that hang out in the littoral veg for cover. I have frequently good luck pulling a spinner or crank bait (or streamers if I'm fly fishing) off the shoreline toward the deeper water from a boat or wading.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

extra stout posted:

Yeah I knew 20-30 would buy poo poo gear so I was thinking of going up to 50 for my first rod. "Shakespeare Ugly Stik GX2 Spinning Rod Combo" on Amazon, the 6 footer is $50 and I've heard good things. I haven't fished since I was a child and I only really remember catching sunfish in ponds near campgrounds. I've actually been a vegetarian for a few years but am going to reintroduce maybe a half pound of meat a week, only what I've gathered for myself.

Google says the semi-local lakes are mostly smallmouth, trout and perch. Those sound find to me, anything but carp I guess.

Thanks for the info from both of you!
If those are the species you are targeting then an ugly stik will be fine, get a medium power rod and 6-8 pound test will be fine, I'd probably go 6 pound. Honestly, that rod is probably a little heavy for trout and perch, but will handle smallmouth well.

The good news is that all of those species LOVE worms. Seriously, look up 'slip bobber' rigs and buy a couple slip bobbers, some bobber stops, a few hooks and some sinkers and you will be in good shape. Slip bobbers allow you to fish any depth of water with a bobber without hindering your casting ability(and without weakening the line). Trout F'n love worms too. But if your fishing streams then a bobber is probably not going to work.

LingcodKilla posted:

Please don't do this. Or at least check your local laws first. In MN this is wonton waste if you are caught. There's no way you are going to put a noticeable dent in the carp population by doing this. If you do decide to kill a bunch of carp, please bring them back to your house and use them for fertilizer or something. I despise when people just dump carp/sheephead on shore because all they do is make it smell like poo poo and make the area unifishable for anyone who doesn't like the smell of rotting flesh.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
Thanks for all the info, I'm not big on slaughtering stuff even if ecology permits it unless it really solves a problem. The only fishing I remember doing was with a bobber and worms, so this sounds amazingly easy to get back into and put some food on the table.I really like the look of the cork handles, do you know if this combo would work fine? I don't want to end up having it snap on a big catch just because it looks better and I save ten dollars, but I imagine putting a reel on a rod involves owning a screw driver and not much more?

http://www.amazon.com/Shakespeare-Crusader-Spinning-Reel-200/dp/B005OU1KMS/

http://www.amazon.com/Shakespeare-Micro-Spinning-5-Feet-Ultra-Light/dp/B00DGAWBK8/

I'm thinking the 5 1/2 foot rod and I have no idea which reel is best but I'd rather have a setup too sturdy than one too weak. I probably should just get the Ugly Stik but plastic looking stuff bums me out, I'd go hickory on the handle if I had the option.

edit

Big long post becomes pointless because more people keep telling me the Ugly Stik is unbreakable, just going to buy that one. Any particular bobbers worth buying for panfish or are they all probably just a piece of plastic?

extra stout fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Mar 17, 2015

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
Arn't carp edible? I kinda want to eat one and it seems that the Tidal Basin in DC is like world renowned for carp.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

DoctaFun posted:

If those are the species you are targeting then an ugly stik will be fine, get a medium power rod and 6-8 pound test will be fine, I'd probably go 6 pound. Honestly, that rod is probably a little heavy for trout and perch, but will handle smallmouth well.

The good news is that all of those species LOVE worms. Seriously, look up 'slip bobber' rigs and buy a couple slip bobbers, some bobber stops, a few hooks and some sinkers and you will be in good shape. Slip bobbers allow you to fish any depth of water with a bobber without hindering your casting ability(and without weakening the line). Trout F'n love worms too. But if your fishing streams then a bobber is probably not going to work.

Please don't do this. Or at least check your local laws first. In MN this is wonton waste if you are caught. There's no way you are going to put a noticeable dent in the carp population by doing this. If you do decide to kill a bunch of carp, please bring them back to your house and use them for fertilizer or something. I despise when people just dump carp/sheephead on shore because all they do is make it smell like poo poo and make the area unifishable for anyone who doesn't like the smell of rotting flesh.

Yeah so leaving carp corpses all over the place would be a jerk move but there's no limit on them in the US so you may as well drag them home and throw them in the compost.

http://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/fisheries/pests-diseases/freshwater-pests/species/carp/control-information (oops not US but still)

http://mdc.mo.gov/fishing/fishing-regulations/nongame-fish-regulations

http://fw.ky.gov/Fish/Pages/Asian-Carp-Information.aspx

Etc Etc

CA has some dumb rule that no fish is a game fish so all fish are equal snow flakes. Cant waste them but there's no size or bag limit so I guess find some orphanage to give them to.

If you love wild fish and even introduced fish that have less of a ecological impact please help eradication efforts of carp.
We pretty much already lost the battle though.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Some nonnatives are worse than others. Carp aren't the worst in most places. Bigheads and silvers are bad in the Mississippi River because they're planktivorous and therefore have potential to wreck the foodweb from the bottom up, in addition to displacing awesome species like paddlefish and sturgeons. Common carp have their own list of offenses, but are generally not nearly as horrible for an ecosystem as misplaced piscivorous sportfish (pike, basses, sunfish) or species that can hybridize with local natives and gently caress up the genetics of a population forever (white suckers, various shiners and minnows, sunfish). They do gently caress up habitat pretty badly though.

Please know what your local nonnatives are and dispatch them if you can deal with that. Eat them, donate them, garden with them, whatever. If you can't do that, that's ok too I guess. Some of the battles are lost (carp), but some still have hope (snakeheads, catfish, bass).

I say that as someone who specializes in nonnative fish ecology.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Some of the battles are lost (carp), but some still have hope (snakeheads, catfish, bass).
If Asian Carp get into Lake Michigan then that battle will be lost, but I'm holding out hope! :unsmith:

*goes walleye and perch fishing, catches nothing but Round Goby* :smith:

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
I thought carp were super bad because they root up SAV to feed?

I live in MD and we now have snakeheads in the Potomac River and some of its tributaries. Despite the doom and gloom predictions of a decade ago, for largemouth bass still seem to be thriving. In addition, a lot of fishermen seem to think that snakeheads are just as good of a sport fish as largemouth bass, with the additional benefit of being loving delicious.

I don't really know enough about the issue to have a firm opinion on it, but from reading arguments on local forums, it seems like most of the people calling for a review of Maryland's "kill on sight" statute are the ones with fisheries biology experience.

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
Most perch you can kill easily with your bare hand. Fold their sharp dorsal fins with one hand, then stick your thumb inside it's mouth and use your thumb and hand to press it's head backwards until the neck snaps.

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee
not in the name of the father
but in the name of the devil.

Siochain posted:

Man, how did I miss the fishing thread hahah.
I live in NE Ontario, land of a kabillion lakes. Just moved here a couple of years ago, and I'm having a bitch of a time adjusting to the shield country lakes.

Sup Ontario goon. where NE are you? Like Temagami? If so, congrats on the fantastic fishing grounds.

extra stout posted:

Thanks for all the info, I'm not big on slaughtering stuff even if ecology permits it unless it really solves a problem. The only fishing I remember doing was with a bobber and worms, so this sounds amazingly easy to get back into and put some food on the table.I really like the look of the cork handles, do you know if this combo would work fine? I don't want to end up having it snap on a big catch just because it looks better and I save ten dollars, but I imagine putting a reel on a rod involves owning a screw driver and not much more?

http://www.amazon.com/Shakespeare-Crusader-Spinning-Reel-200/dp/B005OU1KMS/

http://www.amazon.com/Shakespeare-Micro-Spinning-5-Feet-Ultra-Light/dp/B00DGAWBK8/

I'm thinking the 5 1/2 foot rod and I have no idea which reel is best but I'd rather have a setup too sturdy than one too weak. I probably should just get the Ugly Stik but plastic looking stuff bums me out, I'd go hickory on the handle if I had the option.

edit

Big long post becomes pointless because more people keep telling me the Ugly Stik is unbreakable, just going to buy that one. Any particular bobbers worth buying for panfish or are they all probably just a piece of plastic?
Sounds like you're over thinking it. In the OP: better fishing gear doesn't catch more fish, it just improves your quality of life. In reality, if you're in to fishing you'll buy more than one setup. The 5.5' rod will be good for when you're on a boat but from the dock/shore you'll probably want to invest in a 6.5' rod. Spend a bit extra on a reel - you can really feel the fragility of a cheap reel. You get more bang for buck on the Cabela or Bass Pro in house reels. Take a look at the reviews on BPS. I don't have experience with shakespeare reels but I see many people use them. My personal preference is pflueger. edit: yes the reel and rod combo will work. happy fishing!

Bangkero fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Mar 17, 2015

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Bangkero posted:

Sup Ontario goon. where NE are you? Like Temagami? If so, congrats on the fantastic fishing grounds.

North of there, near the Temiskaming Shores area. Yeah, tons of fishing spots. Just need to get used to them. Hoping to get out with some regulars this year and learn the good spots/tricks/etc. At worst, its a good day on the boat, so :)

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
I like Okuma for an inexpensive reel. I have a few of them and they have all survived a fish well above what they were designed for.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
extra stout, if you want an ugly stik BUT also want a cork handle, why not get both? They make an 'ugly stik lite' which is a little more expensive but it's lighter weight, with a cork handle and still extremely durable.

http://www.uglystik.com/Ugly-Stik%C2%AE-Lite-Rod/1285727,default,pd.html

The 5'6", lite power model would be perfectly capable of handling perch/trout/bass as long as you aren't fishing bit baits in heavy weeds (which you shouldn't be with a normal ugly stick anyways). You will have much more fun fishing a lighter power rod with a bobber, trust me.

Shimano Sienna is a great inexpensive reel(~$30), and their Sedona is a great reel for ~$50.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

DoctaFun posted:

extra stout, if you want an ugly stik BUT also want a cork handle, why not get both? They make an 'ugly stik lite' which is a little more expensive but it's lighter weight, with a cork handle and still extremely durable.

http://www.uglystik.com/Ugly-Stik%C2%AE-Lite-Rod/1285727,default,pd.html

The 5'6", lite power model would be perfectly capable of handling perch/trout/bass as long as you aren't fishing bit baits in heavy weeds (which you shouldn't be with a normal ugly stick anyways). You will have much more fun fishing a lighter power rod with a bobber, trust me.

Shimano Sienna is a great inexpensive reel(~$30), and their Sedona is a great reel for ~$50.

Thanks again for the advice everyone, I thought of doing this but called Dicks and the guy said the Ugly GX2 was 39.99, ten bucks cheaper than Amazon. Went down there and it was 49.99 but he remembered misquoting the price, so he sold it to me for 40. Spent a couple more dollars on 330 yard/6 pound line. Two bobbers and ten "worm and chunk bait" hooks. Hopefully I can clip a knife on my belt and boom, a new hobby is born. Most species aren't in season until April 1st here so I've just got to keep reading/watching til then and get my license.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

extra stout posted:

Thanks again for the advice everyone, I thought of doing this but called Dicks and the guy said the Ugly GX2 was 39.99, ten bucks cheaper than Amazon. Went down there and it was 49.99 but he remembered misquoting the price, so he sold it to me for 40. Spent a couple more dollars on 330 yard/6 pound line. Two bobbers and ten "worm and chunk bait" hooks. Hopefully I can clip a knife on my belt and boom, a new hobby is born. Most species aren't in season until April 1st here so I've just got to keep reading/watching til then and get my license.

I would go ahead and do a little CnR fishing before the season opens. It may not be as easy as you remember ;). Down here we have very particular slots. It's pretty easy to catch a snook. It's a lot harder to catch a snook measuring between 28"-33" in season.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

extra stout posted:

Awesome! Definitely check the regs, in MN you can't intentionally fish for a species if they are out of season, even if you are trying to catch and release.

I'd add a cheap hemostat(to help with deeply hooked fish) to your belt and you should be good to go! Post some pics if you catch some fish!

Right now it looks like I will be going up to lake of the woods to do a late ice trip for northern pike, which is my absolute favorite ice fishing trip of the year. Last year we caught some biggies and we were probably about 2-3 weeks early

With all the warm weather this could be a perfectly timed trip, hoping for some monsters, I just read about someone catching a 45" pike up there this past week!

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

tesilential posted:

I would go ahead and do a little CnR fishing before the season opens. It may not be as easy as you remember ;). Down here we have very particular slots. It's pretty easy to catch a snook. It's a lot harder to catch a snook measuring between 28"-33" in season.

Definitely will do, aside from knowing how to spin it I don't remember any of the mechanics of a reel so I'll make sure I can cast and avoid knots and all of that.

@DoctaFun

Will do, god drat those are some huge fish. How many pounds of edible meat do you think the yield was?

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!
I was wondering if you guys could help me, I'm looking for my first fishing kayak. I'm going to be playing around slower rivers and smaller lakes in north Georgia, fishing mostly for bass and whatever else feels like jumping on my hook. I only plan on day trippin', I don't expect to go on multi day trips or even take it out way far into the lake. I mostly just want to hit the shoreline from new and exciting angles and also to play in a boat.

The problem is that I'm limited to a ten foot kayak, full stop. My front door is in a narrow hallway, and ten foot is absolutely the biggest thing I can fit in my apartment. I've tried a bunch of times in a bunch of different ways, but I can't get a twelve footer in there. I have nowhere else to keep it. I'm 6'1 and weigh 230, so I've been trying to focus on wider boats with a ~300 pound capacity. Price range is ~$500, give or take a hundred or so.

The two that seem to jump out at me are the Old Town Vapor 10 angler, and the Bass Pro Ascend FS10.
http://www.oldtowncanoe.com/kayaks/fishing/vapor_10_angler/
http://www.basspro.com/Ascend-FS10-SitIn-Angler-Kayak-Desert-Storm/product/1407230636438/

Reviews tend to be overwhelmingly positive - both seem like they'll fit me and handle well enough for what they are.
Anybody have any experience with either of these? Anything else I should look at?

JRay88
Jan 4, 2013
I have an ascend FS12 and its a pretty good boat for the money. It's really stable, but I'm a lot smaller than you (5'4 150lbs). I would definitely say go sit in it before you buy, and some places will even let you test ride them. At that price point you're still going to need to do some things to it, anchor trolley, stuff like that to make life easier.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
The Bass Pro yaks have a very mixed rep, esp with heaver dudes. Your dream boat should be a Slayer 10' Propel Drive, but that is going to be like $2500. But they are dreamy and only like 50lb hull weight.

For a cheaper option look at the Wilderness kayaks, they have a great rep and I believe they make a 10' or close to it model.

I weigh about what you do and trying to find a dry, stable 10' boat is going to be tough unless you can spend some decent money.

Armed Neutrality
May 8, 2006

BUY MORE CRABS
Common Carp are awesome, and fun as hell to catch on a fly rod. Killing them for the heck of it is dumb, they don't pose much of an issue.

I went out for trout today, and caught a a 2 foot Barbel. It took a streamer, surprisingly.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Armed Neutrality posted:

Common Carp are awesome, and fun as hell to catch on a fly rod. Killing them for the heck of it is dumb, they don't pose much of an issue.

I went out for trout today, and caught a a 2 foot Barbel. It took a streamer, surprisingly.

Brit spotted.

Armed Neutrality
May 8, 2006

BUY MORE CRABS

LingcodKilla posted:

Brit spotted.

How dare you sir.

(American living in Europe)

CnR carp fly fishing is exploding in the US. I spent 3 weeks fly fishing in Montana last summer and spent more time than I should admit trying to catch carp.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Thing about common carp is that I don't want to put my fingers anywhere near that disgusting-looking mouth to retrieve my hook.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Armed Neutrality posted:

How dare you sir.

(American living in Europe)

CnR carp fly fishing is exploding in the US. I spent 3 weeks fly fishing in Montana last summer and spent more time than I should admit trying to catch carp.

So you went to the hallowed ground of trout fly fishing to attempt to catch an oversized dumpy goldfish?

It's all right. I was throwing rapalas there and was getting stink eye for that too.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Damnit spring show up. I want to get in the boat and on the water.
I just ordered another $50 worth of lures (hahah, oopsie :P ) on ridiculous sale to help round-out my crankbait assortment. Should be good for some deep water.
Have a new fish-finder to slap on the boat, and just need to pickup some new rods/reels.
Going to go bug the fine folks at Sail in Ottawa next time I'm down there for some suggestions.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I was in Yosemite over the weekend and holy poo poo I wanted to fish the Merced River so bad. That river is so goddamn beautiful. Too bad it doesn't open until the end of April.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

LingcodKilla posted:

Yeah so leaving carp corpses all over the place would be a jerk move but there's no limit on them in the US so you may as well drag them home and throw them in the compost.
Yup. I saw a probably 5-8 lb carp which someone had caught and thrown out onto the bank behind the dock, a few days ago at a local pond. Just threw it onto the bank 15 feet from the water in the sun. :krad:

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
I've got a week off for classes and I'm pretty much exclusively spending it reading about fishing in hopes of that first trip hopefully not sucking. Debating on a small trout stream vs. a bigger lake. I'd like to aim mostly for yellow perch, pumpkinseeds (or whichever sunfish is biggest) and maybe some trout. Should six pound line be fine for all of this? I want to be lazy and use artificial bait and was told to get trout eggs for trout, and powerbait maggots for perch and sunfish. Any opinions or other ideas are appreciated, also still need to learn more about bobber and sinker sizes when aiming for these fish.

I've got to warn you I'm going to continue to feel free to ask loads of questions until the rest of you bums start posting more of your advice and catch pictures again.

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

and that's how you get ants.

extra stout posted:

I've got a week off for classes and I'm pretty much exclusively spending it reading about fishing in hopes of that first trip hopefully not sucking. Debating on a small trout stream vs. a bigger lake. I'd like to aim mostly for yellow perch, pumpkinseeds (or whichever sunfish is biggest) and maybe some trout. Should six pound line be fine for all of this? I want to be lazy and use artificial bait and was told to get trout eggs for trout, and powerbait maggots for perch and sunfish. Any opinions or other ideas are appreciated, also still need to learn more about bobber and sinker sizes when aiming for these fish.

I've got to warn you I'm going to continue to feel free to ask loads of questions until the rest of you bums start posting more of your advice and catch pictures again.

I use 4lb mono (exact brand: vicious panfish) while crappie fishing and I've caught all sorts of creatures on it without any problem. I think the biggest was a 7lb channel cat. So yeah 6lb should be plenty! The most critical thing is having your drag set right, it's not a terrible thing if a fish can pull some line off the reel so keep it low-ish.

I've never fished for trout (I'm missing out :() but as far as the perch/sunfish go, it's hard to keep them off what I use for crappie which is Bobby Garland Baby Shad in "Monkey Milk" as they replicate the local minnows/shad pretty well. I've also had success with the Bone White/Chartreuse and Chart/Red Glitter colors as well. Pair them with a 1/16th jig head in black or chartreuse like I did here, bounce the rod tip around to make it dart while you're reeling in slowly and you should get some action if there's a hungry fish there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Sup thread.

We went trolling for bonito and apparently were doing the right thing. Bag limit hit of fishies between 1.5kg to 2kg. We had a couple of double hookups within a minute of putting a lure in the water.

The salmon at the bottom was 4.5kg and a bit annoying for me, because it was another double hookup and I learnt the lesson of not tightening up the drag too quickly on thinish line. Mine snapped off and took my lure while my buddy landed his.

Much fun. Only slightly sunburnt.