Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
I paid for a month of Beats out of an Apple gift card to get a feel in advance of whatever has planned in May. The "sentence" gimmick is fun for smart playlists, and the curated playlists are pretty well designed. It's painfully clear, though, that it's designed only for mobile use - you can't create playlists at the computer, and the entire experience is really stripped down.

I remember that the Google Play experience was a little janky when I tried it before, but I may try it again. Ultimately, though, I may be the last "pay per song" holdout.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

Knifegrab posted:

Why would google play be better? I thought google play was a "pay by song" service as opposed to a streaming service? Why would that be better?

When we say "Google Play", which is the name for the entire google content store, we mean Google Play Music All Access which is a streaming service with a name that's way too long.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
The main thing I liked about Spotify was that it had a separate desktop client, but I guess if they're intent on ruining that then...

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Lol google play music all access what a loving stupid name for a service. But i may consider switching anyway due to spotify's trend of making the worst software decisions ive ever seen.

Is the google stream library actually comparable to spotify in terms of breadth and getting new releases on schedule? That's the only reason i have stayed

Built 4 Cuban Linux
Jul 15, 2007

i own america

thathonkey posted:

Lol google play music all access what a loving stupid name for a service. But i may consider switching anyway due to spotify's trend of making the worst software decisions ive ever seen.

Is the google stream library actually comparable to spotify in terms of breadth and getting new releases on schedule? That's the only reason i have stayed

yes. it's not a 1:1 match, each is missing a few things from the other. but it's pretty solid.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

thathonkey posted:

Honestly, I think Google Play's got a better library. There are some notable omissions (no Metallica), but it more than makes up for it in smaller, weirder bands. You can also upload your own music to get rid of some of their gaps.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

thathonkey posted:

Only thing missing from my Spotify library was Metallica and AWOLNATION, but I have physical copies of both so I just ripped and uploaded them to Google Play. I really like their radio stations so far, too, much more than Spotify's.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
Is there no standalone player for google play?

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

Knifegrab posted:

Just the website afaik.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Knifegrab posted:

On linux there is nuvola.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

Mr E posted:

Only thing missing from my Spotify library was Metallica and AWOLNATION, but I have physical copies of both so I just ripped and uploaded them to Google Play. I really like their radio stations so far, too, much more than Spotify's.

Honestly, the radio stations are the one thing I'm not sold on. The metal station only seems to play Korn and Limp Bizkit, even though I've thumbed them down tons of times. The more specific ones are a little better, but I seem to be better off using standalone apps like Pandora. Wish there was a desktop client, but that's another story.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

There are some 3rd party clients like this one, no idea if they're any good.

Built 4 Cuban Linux
Jul 15, 2007

i own america
On OS X you can use Bearded Spice for media keys: http://beardedspice.com/

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Is google play free or is it strictly a subscription service? I let my spotify premium run out when I'm not doing so well on cash, so if google absolutely requires a membership then I'll pass for now.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Manatee Cannon posted:

Is google play free or is it strictly a subscription service? I let my spotify premium run out when I'm not doing so well on cash, so if google absolutely requires a membership then I'll pass for now.

There is a 30 day trial, but after that it's paid only.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
The 10,000 song limit blows

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

bowmore posted:

Yeah, I had 30,000+ before they rolled out that. Had to turn them all into "playlists" 1-10 or whatever. I'm not sure if Google Play has a limit like that.

Poolparty
Aug 18, 2013

Apparently I can't scroll up or down with the keyboard arrows after the update. Is this a new "feature" or just my old laptop not keeping up? (Page up and down still works)

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

PaganGoatPants posted:

Yeah, I had 30,000+ before they rolled out that. Had to turn them all into "playlists" 1-10 or whatever. I'm not sure if Google Play has a limit like that.

I think Play's limit is 50,000 for songs you upload on your own. AFAIK, there's no limit for streaming stuff you add to your library.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Friends Are Evil posted:

I think Play's limit is 50,000 for songs you upload on your own. AFAIK, there's no limit for streaming stuff you add to your library.
Completely voiding the whole function of Spotify though

screaden
Apr 8, 2009
So with Google Music, if I upload a bunch of songs from my computer to fill in gaps in the Google catalogue, can I stream them from anywhere? I'm still carrying around my ipod with a bunch of poo poo that spotify doesn't have so I can listen to it at work but I suspect it's close to dying so that would be great if I could do that

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

screaden posted:

So with Google Music, if I upload a bunch of songs from my computer to fill in gaps in the Google catalogue, can I stream them from anywhere? I'm still carrying around my ipod with a bunch of poo poo that spotify doesn't have so I can listen to it at work but I suspect it's close to dying so that would be great if I could do that

Yes.

Spotify can partially do this insofar as it can sync local files to your mobile devices if you make the playlists/albums available offline, but it does take disk space, whereas Google will always let you stream stuff.

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

annapacketstormaya posted:

Yes.

Spotify can partially do this insofar as it can sync local files to your mobile devices if you make the playlists/albums available offline, but it does take disk space, whereas Google will always let you stream stuff.

Yeah I know, I've got the premium but I'm thinking I might switch over now, I have a bunch of old funk/soul albums that spotify either doesn't have or is incomplete so this sounds perfect

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

annapacketstormaya posted:

Yes.

Spotify can partially do this insofar as it can sync local files to your mobile devices if you make the playlists/albums available offline, but it does take disk space

Spotify allows this in theory but ive never gotten this featured to work very well, the ui is clunky as gently caress. The few times i have gotten this working, one day all of my local uploads would just cease to work on my mobile. Basically spotify has failed miserably at integrating your local library with their streaming library at every turn.

sweek0
May 22, 2006

Let me fall out the window
With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
On a blanket by the stairs
I'll tell you all my secrets
But I lie about my past
Are there any good migration tools if I wanted to try Google Play? Anything that would be able to look at my Spotify library and try and recreate the playlists?

I still don't think I'd do it because absolutely everyone I know uses Spotify and I love the social aspect. I love looking at what my friends are listening to, subscribing to people's playlists and creating collaborative ones.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

I used pyportify when I tried out google play.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

screaden posted:

Yeah I know, I've got the premium but I'm thinking I might switch over now, I have a bunch of old funk/soul albums that spotify either doesn't have or is incomplete so this sounds perfect

Bear in mind you can upload songs and stream anywhere with a free standard Google Play account, you don't need to subscribe to the streaming service.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

So, ever since the update came in, Spotify won't work for me at all. It won't even open half the time, and when it does, it just sits loading. Nothing ever loads and nothing plays. Anyone have a clue what that's about?

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

forget about ur worries and ur strife

egon_beeblebrox posted:

So, ever since the update came in, Spotify won't work for me at all. It won't even open half the time, and when it does, it just sits loading. Nothing ever loads and nothing plays. Anyone have a clue what that's about?

I'm having issues with some songs simply not loading and much longer load/refresh times than in past UIs. Half of To Pimp A Butterfly won't play on my computer. The iOS app has been crashing twice as often as usual, too. They're really reinventing update fuckups, I've never consistently had worse results with each release of a product quite like this one.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Today I tried to play some songs on my desktop app and when I clicked on a song it played something completely random. Very weird.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

PaganGoatPants posted:

Today I tried to play some songs on my desktop app and when I clicked on a song it played something completely random. Very weird.

Sometimes it plays something like, down the list like ten spaces down. Quitting usually fixes it.

inSTAALed
Feb 3, 2008

MOP

n'

SLOP

bowmore posted:

dont use the your music feature it is lovely and bad

just use the starred list like you used to, it doesn't have a max limit and is essentially the exact same thing

i still dont understand why they created the your music thing when starring already existed

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

inSTAALed posted:

just use the starred list like you used to, it doesn't have a max limit and is essentially the exact same thing

i still dont understand why they created the your music thing when starring already existed
starring is also a 10,000 limit

inSTAALed
Feb 3, 2008

MOP

n'

SLOP

bowmore posted:

starring is also a 10,000 limit

dewey7788
Oct 10, 2004

Don't Toews me bro!
My god, the new UI is awful. I can barely drag songs from one playlist to another.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
I am right now trying out Google Music as a Spotify alternative, and I noticed that it seems to need lots of space on my Android. Something like 3 times the space that Spotify needs for almost the same playlist.

Has anybody else noticed that? And is there any way to switch to low quality?

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling

inSTAALed posted:

Probably because normal people prefer browsing their music collection in some format other than a 20,000-row spreadsheet

inSTAALed
Feb 3, 2008

MOP

n'

SLOP

The rear end Stooge posted:

Probably because normal people prefer browsing their music collection in some format other than a 20,000-row spreadsheet

but it is the most efficient :goonsay:

inSTAALed
Feb 3, 2008

MOP

n'

SLOP
holy poo poo my spotify just updated and literally nothing works

:stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

inSTAALed posted:

uh because you can quickly look through this and find poo poo:

instead of scrolling through some infinite list for forever?

• Locked thread