Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
So how many people actually needed a tutorial, anyway?

I mean, most of us have played the good SimCity games, although it's been a decade since the last one of those, so it pretty much is a case of lay down some roads, put down some RCI, make sure they're powered and watered, and when the levels unlock use the new buildings as required.

It's actually not as bad as SC4 because people would hamstring themselves from the start by building more services than they needed for a small town. At least here, if you've managed to get up to about 5000 you should be well on the way to making a decent amount of revenue, and even the loans aren't too bad as long as you use that money constructively.

Really, if you're still lost about how to start, nielsm's post pretty much covers everything you need to begin with.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3706710#post442806542

Build some poo poo first and get people moving in and working. You can clean up the layout to your liking when the cash starts rolling in.

I thought about doing a video along the same lines but there's heaps of those already, so I'll just leave it. It was weird doing the post in the other thread last night because I was suddenly in screenshot LP mode again (even though I haven't done that poo poo in over five years).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

People actually use these! I started building them all over the place. I wish we had them in real life more.

I made a three way dam to keep the poo poo water from getting sucked into my intakes and it was creating suction.

I deleted it and it made a little tidal wave and did a Moses while it was at it all through the bay :w00t:

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
I never budget room for pedestrian walkways, (or actually know how to really construct them effectively), so I always love to see the cardio-friendly cities people post.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005
I'm finding it harder than SC4 as you have to think about road layout and plan for future traffic expansion. That's a constant and increasing challenge whereas If you got the knack of not going bust early SC4 was a breeze.

:getin:

The Skeep
Sep 15, 2007

That Chicken sure loves to drum...sticks
Here is a custom map I made. It is a island in the shape of a giant toilet

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=408929531

Please Enjoy.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

The Deadly Hume posted:

So how many people actually needed a tutorial, anyway?
You forget that there are in fact, people who did not spend a single minute on a city builder in the past decade but would like to try it pick it up. Especially with all the buzz around the game and the price point. I don't remember if SC2013 unlocked things as you progressed, but I do like that here, because new players likely won't get overwhelmed right away. Of course any veteran city builder will just know how every system works (or can quickly pick up what's new right away) but that was never the point of the tutorial/progression system anyway.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

The Skeep posted:

Please Enjoy.

Poo water comes as standard.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Enigma89 posted:

So do dams break down randomly or over time?

Not that I know of (my dams seem fine) but there's some jankiness involved in placing them properly I think. You want a decent height differential in the water you're damming to actually get power out of it, but if the dam is lower than the source spawn square of the water it will get overflowed eventually.

If you're trying to drain areas and gently caress it up you can also overflow your dams.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

The Skeep posted:

Please Enjoy.

man, those puns.

Tambaloneus
Feb 5, 2007

I miss my cat someone buy me a kitten.

I'm loving the mars map! I dumped the sewerage at the other end of the starter lake to my intake and hoped to expand before it was too late and everything was just fine, as the lower areas contain the edge of a much larger supply and a smaller pond I now pump all the poop into. I'm at nearly 10k now.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

I tried to make a dam but I wasn't paying attention and daming the river caused the sewage to back up far enough that it was being drawn for water and I lost 1000 people to poop water drinking before I could stop it :(

kaxman
Jan 15, 2003

Mr. Sharps posted:

If this game can accurately simulate the Mercer Mess I might just get it.

I've googled a lot of cool interchanges and stuff thanks to people's posts about this game, but this is the first thing that looks exactly like a screenshot of someone's in-game traffic nightmare.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

How do you choose what RCI a building is under in the asset creator? I downloaded a bunch of farmhouses that the creator put under residential, but I want to make them industrial/farm growables. I can't for the life of me find any option to change what zone it grows under.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*

Nitrousoxide posted:

How do you choose what RCI a building is under in the asset creator? I downloaded a bunch of farmhouses that the creator put under residential, but I want to make them industrial/farm growables. I can't for the life of me find any option to change what zone it grows under.

You can't, unless you have the model.

e: all that effort and all I have so far is this:

:suicide:

Noyemi K fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Mar 17, 2015

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Noyemi K posted:

You can't, unless you have the model.

e: all that effort and all I have so far is this:

:suicide:

Okay then, I created a new asset using one of the base game's homes plus a field for a farmhouse. Now how do I choose to make it a farm zone growable?

Like I don't see an option for this poo poo ANYWHERE.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

sniper4625 posted:

I never budget room for pedestrian walkways, (or actually know how to really construct them effectively), so I always love to see the cardio-friendly cities people post.

Same, budgeting it continually through the whole city is loving hard with how things eventually shape up. It is great seeing your little dudes out and about though!

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

Nitrousoxide posted:

Okay then, I created a new asset using one of the base game's homes plus a field for a farmhouse. Now how do I choose to make it a farm zone growable?

Like I don't see an option for this poo poo ANYWHERE.

It has to actually use a farm zone slot from the asset list. Like, it has to be made with a farm zone template. Even still, I haven't seen a growable of my own work yet so I'm not even 100% on that.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
Is ther a modeller tool where you can drag and stretch shapes [or meshes] , and if you click on a face, you can assign a texture? A long shot, but something like Second Life.

I want to make small street stuff mods [like vending machines] but not knowing 3D stuff is crippling me.

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

Downloaded a Hong Kong map and spent 2 hours trying to get the bloody highways right.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

simosimo posted:

Is ther a modeller tool where you can drag and stretch shapes [or meshes] , and if you click on a face, you can assign a texture? A long shot, but something like Second Life.

I want to make small street stuff mods [like vending machines] but not knowing 3D stuff is crippling me.

Vending machines are already pretty easy stuff, but blender does support sculpting and texture painting (though I don't use that and I only use sculpting for faces)

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

****MIC TO THE WILLY***

Noyemi K posted:

Vending machines are already pretty easy stuff, but blender does support sculpting and texture painting (though I don't use that and I only use sculpting for faces)

What do you use? I'm only looking for low poly stuff for the time being to get started - I'd like to know how you assign textures to a model (still a mystery to me). Let's do this 3D thing!

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

simosimo posted:

Google Sketchup will do what you want and it's easy to learn.
.fbx exportation might be pro-only, but you could download blender (or whatever) and convert through it.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Noyemi K posted:

It has to actually use a farm zone slot from the asset list. Like, it has to be made with a farm zone template. Even still, I haven't seen a growable of my own work yet so I'm not even 100% on that.

Oh god. So when you said I need the actual model, you meant I need the actual model so I can choose a farm template and then select my model from there.

Ugh.

That's real dumb. What modeling software are you using? Having good farmhouses is VERY IMPORTANT.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
The modding scene for this game is loving insane. One week in and we already have mods for some pretty amazing gameplay fixes and changes. The Traffic Checker tool in particular is a real gem.

Hope they go full Paradox with the update schedule and we get a constant wave of bug fixes and mini-systems.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

simosimo posted:

What do you use? I'm only looking for low poly stuff for the time being to get started - I'd like to know how you assign textures to a model (still a mystery to me). Let's do this 3D thing!

I use blender; I actually had a student license for Max at one point but I loving hated it. Blender might have a million shortcuts, but I love 'em, damnit.

Basically what you do to assign textures is to make a UV map and export that and draw (or paste in texture tiles) over it. I pretty much do my textures pixel by pixel, which is why the weird cartoon house is so cartoony looking atm.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

****MIC TO THE WILLY***

Noyemi K posted:

I use blender; I actually had a student license for Max at one point but I loving hated it. Blender might have a million shortcuts, but I love 'em, damnit.

Basically what you do to assign textures is to make a UV map and export that and draw (or paste in texture tiles) over it. I pretty much do my textures pixel by pixel, which is why the weird cartoon house is so cartoony looking atm.

UV map that's it. I've given Sketchup a download and will look into it later tonight. Hopefully I can whip up something at least

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Fans posted:

Hope they go full Paradox with the update schedule and we get a constant wave of bug fixes and mini-systems.

They've stated they plan to support this game in a similar way to how they've supported CK2 and EU4, so that's likely.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Away all Goats posted:

They've stated they plan to support this game in a similar way to how they've supported CK2 and EU4, so that's likely.

I await the CK2, Cities: Skyline cross over where you have to engineer a waste system in 1066 to go through the a Troublesome Son's land and 'accidentally' drown them in poo poo.

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

I'm really enjoying the maps where I actually have to take topology into account instead of endless boring plains.

Map: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=406001868

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

cthulhoo posted:

I'm really enjoying the maps where I actually have to take topology into account instead of endless boring plains.

What the... how did you... :catstare:

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

Noyemi K posted:

What the... how did you... :catstare:

Do you not like my island of doom? :ohdear:

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

cthulhoo posted:

Warning: the highway lane directions are backwards on this map and you have to fix it with the map editor.

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Warning: the highway lane directions are backwards on this map and you have to fix it with the map editor.

It's a taste of things to come.

I liked how the author went welp, just run with it, not gonna fix it. :effort:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Or the author is from the Commonwealth.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

cthulhoo posted:

Do you not like my island of doom? :ohdear:

It basically beat the gently caress out of my city on that very island.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Is there a way to make nuclear power plans melt down?

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

Well hey! It actually kinda looks okay in-game! I need to tweak the normals and the specmap a bit, but wow! This is better looking in-game than I expected.

Karnivool
May 28, 2009
If you have a zone that specializes in an industry do the buildings only have 1 level they can be? So if you wanted a whole city that just farms you wouldn't be able to increase education as there would never be level 3 farms?

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
That's right. Apparently in Cities Skylines farms are only of the cotton picking variety and there is no heavy industrial farming equipment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

****MIC TO THE WILLY***

Noyemi K posted:

Well hey! It actually kinda looks okay in-game! I need to tweak the normals and the specmap a bit, but wow! This is better looking in-game than I expected.

Dragonborn population : 1