Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ler
Mar 23, 2005

I believe...
Had this been posted?

quote:

Kidnap fears if large private companies publish tax details, says Coalition
The assistant treasurer, Josh Frydenberg, says there would be ‘real safety concerns’ if $100m companies published tax information

http://www.theguardian.com/australi...MP=share_btn_tw

Private companies such as those controlled by the billionaire mining magnate Gina Rinehart will be exempt from new laws requiring the publication of their tax information because of fears this could jeopardise their safety and possibly lead to kidnappings.

The assistant treasurer, Josh Frydenberg, told the Coalition party room on Tuesday the publication of the financial statements of large private companies raised “real safety concerns”. He said the 700 private companies captured by the new law covering more than 1,600 companies with a turnover of more than $100m should be exempt.

The prime minister, Tony Abbott, agreed the Coalition would implement this exemption. The changes will require a legislative amendment.

Frydenberg was responding to questions from senator Cory Bernardi and the New South Wales MP Craig Laundy, who argued private companies should be exempt on commercial and personal security grounds. They argued the information could harm a company’s commercial operations and potentially leave private business people and their families at risk of kidnapping.

After the meeting, Frydenberg said: “The government is considering its response to concerns about the publication of information about the tax affairs of privately owned Australian companies. Legitimate concerns have been raised about the misuse of information related to privately held companies that is made public as part of tax transparency measures.”

Mark Zirnsak, of the Tax Justice Network Australia, said the kidnapping argument was “nonsense”.

“This is government giving in to the big end of town,” he said. “There is no reason why there should not be greater transparency around the tax paid by multinational companies, so there can be community confidence that these companies are paying their share of tax.

“Arguments that greater transparency will lead to greater risks of kidnapping are nonsense. Australia is not some fictionalised version of Colombia.”

The tax transparency laws, passed by the former Labor government, required that the Australian Tax Office begin publishing tax details of about 1,600 public and private companies with an annual turnover of $100m or more from July. Under the laws, total income, taxable income and income tax payable must be reported.

The ATO says, “The first objective of [the laws] is to discourage large corporate tax entities from engaging in aggressive tax avoidance practices. The second objective of these amendments is to provide more information to inform public debate about tax policy, particularly in relation to the corporate tax system.”

The shadow assistant treasurer, Andrew Leigh, said the rollback showed the treasurer, Joe Hockey, was “full of big talk about cracking down on tax avoidance … but consistently lets companies off the hook”.

“Rolling back these transparency laws means shielding big multinationals from public scrutiny,” he said. “Without transparent tax reporting, it will be easier for some big firms to continue to avoid paying their fair share of tax.”

Greens leader Christine Milne said the “the kidnapping argument is laughable. This is just yet another example of the Abbott government doing everything it can to protect the people it governs for: the rich.”

Business groups had argued against the publication on the grounds that it could be misleading but the tax office has now agreed that companies can review the information before it is made public.

I really don't know whether to laugh or get angry at the Libs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
It's not a new argument, they were saying it last year as well. Hopefully it doesn't get through parliament.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
surely then you'd just kidnap the executives of any company whose details weren't published.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Gough Suppressant posted:

A properly managed super fund is diversified, this coupled with the length of time it's supposed to be operating on makes it far less likely that you will wind up hosed compared to if you have one house.

I guess you can argue that when we get to the stage where not owning a home is more common than owning one, that this in fact increases diversity in your assets, but we're a fair way from that still.

It also doesn't do anything to address the problem Hockey claims it does: housing affordability. Injecting more money into the market will just raise prices, simple as that.

Actual levers which could be used to increase housing affordability: get state governments to dramatically increase land taxes for undeveloped land; get state governments to institute caps on allotments over a certain size in particular areas, start to grandfather out negative gearing etc

The thing is they don't *want* to address it. The rich loving love that their strangelhold on land has been a huge money funnel for as long as it has. Everytime the prices go up up, the west prints excited stories about how investors are winning bigtime, when the real story is , Gen Y and Z are going to be the first generation where most of them DONT own homes.

This way, by tapping super, it opens up another generation for the gently caress-you-got-mine Baby Boomers to royally arse-gently caress for their own wealth and prestige.

tl;dr kill your parents.

duck monster fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Mar 17, 2015

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

HEY DUCKMONSTER

Tommofork posted:

When/where has he proposed raiding Super for unemployment?

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

Ler posted:

Had this been posted?

I dunno, if you're worth 100 million you can pay for some bodyguards or something.

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

duck monster posted:

The thing is they don't *want* to address it. The rich loving love that their strangelhold on land has been a huge money funnel for as long as it has. Everytime the prices go up up, the west prints excited stories about how investors are winning bigtime, when the real story is , Gen Y and Z are going to be the first generation where most of them DONT own homes.

This way, by tapping super, it opens up another generation for the gently caress-you-got-mine Baby Boomers to royally arse-gently caress for their own wealth and prestige.

tl;dr kill your parents.

I addressed this in a bunch of earlier posts about housing. The more people who rent, the less people there are to buy homes, and eventually those people will die. If they all die at a faster rate like, say, when baby boomers start dropping off the perch, we will get downward pressure on prices.

That, or slumlords.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

I'm sure I remember it being in the paper some time back, but I can't find anything about it on google?

Maybe I misread something?

Dante18907
Aug 31, 2009

Devilbro giveth and Devilbro taketh away

Mithranderp posted:

this

and also check that you are being paid the proper amount of Super!

Which union and how do I go about doing that? And how would I check the amount of super I SHOULD be being paid?

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

Dante18907 posted:

Which union and how do I go about doing that? And how would I check the amount of super I SHOULD be being paid?

I'm not sure about which union (I'd PM user BCR about that if possible...BCR is the person to ask when it comes to unions) but at an absolute minimum you should be getting 9.5% of your award rate paid into your super...so if my award rate is 20/h I'd expect to be getting ~$2/h into my super for a "total" of $22/h. Many companies pay more than that, so I'd check your contract once you get a copy of it.

e: clarity.

The Before Times fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Mar 17, 2015

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Someone caption this TIA.

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein
The boomers will gift their houses to their awful children and create junior slumlords

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
Hello Guinness my old friend...

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Drugs posted:

The boomers will gift their houses to their awful children and create junior slumlords

Until there's a dispute. More often than not, if there are two or more children in the will, the property will have to go to one of them, or be sold off and the returns split up amongst them.

If they're savvy enough, they will put it aside into an investment trust but on balance these things either end badly, or if they end well it's because they've come to some arrangement for selling them off.

Now imagine this happens more frequently because a lot of them are dying en masse (like say from poisonous lycra outbreak)...

asio
Nov 29, 2008

"Also Sprach Arnold Jacobs: A Developmental Guide for Brass Wind Musicians" refers to the mullet as an important tool for professional cornet playing and box smashing black and blood

Les Affaires posted:

Until there's a dispute. More often than not, if there are two or more children in the will, the property will have to go to one of them, or be sold off and the returns split up amongst them.

If they're savvy enough, they will put it aside into an investment trust but on balance these things either end badly, or if they end well it's because they've come to some arrangement for selling them off.

Now imagine this happens more frequently because a lot of them are dying en masse (like say from poisonous lycra outbreak)...

Driver reviver last stops for grey nomads

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Higher Education and Research Reform Bill 2014 voted down at 2nd reading | AYES 30 NOES 34 #highered

DAAS Kapitalist
Nov 9, 2005

Jackass: The Mad Monk

Don't try this at home.

duck monster posted:

I'm sure I remember it being in the paper some time back, but I can't find anything about it on google?

http://www.afr.com/news/policy/budget/superannuation-could-be-used-for-firsttime-home-buyers-deposits-20150306-13x53i

quote:

Mr Hockey opened the door to making superannuation more "flexible" – such as by tapping super savings during periods of unemployment, retraining or even property purchases.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

goooood that is so dumb. I know little about this poo poo and even I know it's astonishingly stupid.

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Someone caption this TIA.

The one day of the year it's good to be black

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Higher Education and Research Reform Bill 2014 voted down at 2nd reading | AYES 30 NOES 34 #highered

Wonderful

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Eat poo poo

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Shadeoses posted:

Eat poo poo

and die

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

cpaf posted:

The one day of the year it's good to be black

Mattjpwns
Dec 14, 2006

In joyful strains then let us sing
ADVANCE AUSTRALIA FUCKED

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Jumpingmanjim posted:

As it should be.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
I love that no one is buying Pyne's bullshit. It'll probably destroy any chance he has at being Liberal Leader forever.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
" Prime Minister Tony Abbott told his MPs and senators on Tuesday that he still expected to return the budget to balance "in about five years". "

Surplus after the next two elections huzzuh!

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Lid posted:

" Prime Minister Tony Abbott told his MPs and senators on Tuesday that he still expected to return the budget to balance "in about five years". "

http://m.smh.com.au/federal-politic...317-1m1grv.html

Also its impossible.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
I want to know what rare brain parasite peter Martin had when writing that article defending hockey's brainfart considering the articles following and preceding

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

I want to know what rare brain parasite peter Martin had when writing that article defending hockey's brainfart considering the articles following and preceding

I pointed out to him on twitter that he seemed to be trying to avoid the subject of negative gearing in that article and he took pains to tweet back that he was obsessed by it. Didn't explain the article at all lol.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

I suspect a very large cheque from an anonymous donor.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Lid posted:

Gotta keep moving those goalposts!

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I'm proud of you, Bender. Sure, you lost. You lost bad. But the important thing is I beat up someone who hurt my feelings in high school.

Ler posted:

Had this been posted?

As someone who works for a company that makes well in excess of $100m per year, and is part of a US company making $10+ billion per year, I find the idea that people will be kidnapped due to announcing their company tax bills is hilarious. Especially if the company is publicly listed since way more data about the company and how much money they have is made available to investors anyway. Who cares how much tax they pay if I know what their cash balance is.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

ewe2 posted:

I pointed out to him on twitter that he seemed to be trying to avoid the subject of negative gearing in that article and he took pains to tweet back that he was obsessed by it. Didn't explain the article at all lol.

Yeah he was about the same talking to me. Nice that he tweets so much in response to criticism, even if he didn't really address anything.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

fiery_valkyrie posted:

As someone who works for a company that makes well in excess of $100m per year, and is part of a US company making $10+ billion per year, I find the idea that people will be kidnapped due to announcing their company tax bills is hilarious. Especially if the company is publicly listed since way more data about the company and how much money they have is made available to investors anyway. Who cares how much tax they pay if I know what their cash balance is.

It's all about the executives demanding special privilege in return for political donations. We're already in an us-and-them scenario, and just being not-rich-executives is suspicious. Why, if we were good honest people, we'd be rich executives too!

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Anidav posted:

I love that no one is buying Pyne's bullshit. It'll probably destroy any chance he has at being Liberal Leader forever.

If Tony has taught us anything it's that no amount of gaffes or fuckups will prevent anybody from becoming Liberal leader or indeed the Prime Minister.

Ler
Mar 23, 2005

I believe...

It's not the first time he's written some plainly dumb thing about economics or finance in Australia. Peter Martin is very hit and miss, it got to the point where I wasn't reading the Fairfax economic stuff for a long because of him.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
Not that I agree with it at all but fear of blackmail more so than kidnapping is an actual thought that some people have and is not just a thing made up by LNP scuzzballs. To the point where someone was happy to pay 47.5% tax on their trust to avoid having anything in their name, but foregoing all the tax planning/minimisation stuff you expect people to use trusts for.

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!
I hope my local business arm doesn't make less than the threshold lest I become a hot rape kidnap target.

Because it happens a lot here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.
http://www.itnews.com.au/News/401763,brandis-to-introduce-site-blocking-legislation-this-week.aspx

INTERNET FILTERRRRRRRRR

• Locked thread