Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
It's probably short for "Nintendo Xtreme" :krad:

Tak Fijii thinks the same thing.

Yechezkel fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Mar 17, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Quest For Glory II posted:

Ohhh gently caress new Nintendo console called the NX to be revealed next year

I'll bet you it's a 3D headset for the WiiU. Everyone else is doing it, so you know Nintendo's gotta be at least looking into it too. Plus half the setup's there with the WiiU's gamepad-streaming tech.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Yeah, it seems like it'd be dumb to announce a new handheld right after the new 3DS, but then also right after they put so much effort in the Wii U. It's totally possible given the way the DSi was handled.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Poorly cropped screenshot.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
The screen grab makes it seem like it's an addition to the market than a replacement to whatever's available. Like, what could it possibly be? Is Nintendo really gonna gently caress with VR?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

If it comes out in 2017-2018 the Wii U will have a lifespan of 5-6 years which is more than generous for the financial flop that it was, so it's probably a new console.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

noirstronaut posted:

The screen grab makes it seem like it's an addition to the market than a replacement to whatever's available. Like, what could it possibly be? Is Nintendo really gonna gently caress with VR?

I still say yes, even with that picture, just because it'd be different enough to not be considered a handheld or home console replacement. Viva la Virtua Boy 2! :science:

If it comes out in 2017-2018 the Wii U will have a lifespan of 5-6 which is more than generous for the financial flop that it was, so it's probably a new console.

It's coming out next year, to work alongside the 3DS and WiiU. It's not replacing anything pre-existing.

Champeenship
Oct 9, 2012
I'm pretty sure they said they will give more info next year.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah, this isn't a proper announcement, for all we know it could be a VC streaming box.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Champeenship posted:

I'm pretty sure they said they will give more info next year.
Yeah, they did not say it would be released next year, they said it would be revealed next year. Like at E3 for example.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
The only thing that has me thinking it won't be something to work alongside the Wii U and 3DS is that I have no idea what it could possibly be. Nintendo VR would probably flop harder than the Virtual Boy did. I hope it's just a new Gameboy. Bring back the 16 bit graphics.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's not replacing anything pre-existing.
While i don't actually think something like what happened then will happen now, this just reminds me of when they said that the DS line wouldn't replace the Game Boy line.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

KennyMan666 posted:

While i don't actually think something like what happened then will happen now, this just reminds me of when they said that the DS line wouldn't replace the Game Boy line.

Maybe it hasn't

!

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

They just basically said that Nintendo will handle the game side of the smartphone games and DeNA will handle the server-side stuff. At least that's what it sounded like, the translators are doing their best but it's dodgy.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

noirstronaut posted:

Nintendo VR would probably flop harder than the Virtual Boy did.

VR's pretty much guaranteed to be A Thing in gaming within a year or two now. There's too much steam behind the Oculus and Morpheus development for it not to be, even if it just eventually falls over and tanks.

They just basically said that Nintendo will handle the game side of the smartphone games and DeNA will handle the server-side stuff. At least that's what it sounded like, the translators are doing their best but it's dodgy.

On a general side-note, A+ to those translators on doing a good job of keeping up with on-the-fly interpretation.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

If it comes out in 2017-2018 the Wii U will have a lifespan of 5-6 years which is more than generous for the financial flop that it was, so it's probably a new console.

So the wii-U is still tanking?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Slides and transcript of announcement are up: http://www.nintendo.co.jp/corporate/release/en/2015/150317/index.html

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

They said Nintendo will have final say on products with their IPs, everything else in the conference has stated DeNA will be making new mobile games with their IPs.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

DrPaper posted:

They said Nintendo will have final say on products with their IPs, everything else in the conference has stated DeNA will be making new mobile games with their IPs.
They were asked who would be leading development and the DeNA guy said "we'll work to our strengths, so Nintendo would handle the front-end and we'd handle the back-end server side stuff". Maybe it was a mistranslation but that's what I heard.

MykonosFan
Sep 9, 2012

Hows my homies training
going? Whaa? Hey! What
are you doing Ronald?

If this can shut up Nintendo's investors, and let Nintendo keep doing their thing in the console / handheld space, I'm down for it. Hopefully the games are genuinely good and not just the standard mobile fare. Very intriguing, I did not expect this to happen for a few more years, at least.

EDIT: There have been some murmurings about a possible Nintendo Direct coming soon, perhaps that will address all of this in more detail

MykonosFan fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Mar 17, 2015

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

Can't wait for Kirby Candy Crush and Angry Birds: Star Fox.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

DrPaper posted:

Can't wait for Kirby Candy Crush and Angry Birds: Star Fox.

Flappy Balloon.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Nintendo investors are actual idiots. There was a man who complained that Nintendo was talking about "childish things like games" during a meeting.

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

noirstronaut posted:

Nintendo investors are actual idiots. There was a man who complained that Nintendo was talking about "childish things like games" during a meeting.

Nintendo is more than a games company. They own baseball teams and magazines too.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
The third pillar!!!!

lmfao

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

PC, eh? The idea of "Streaming Virtual Console" grows stronger in my head...

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

I can finally sell my Wii U and just play Smash Brothers on the PC.

The future of gaming is bright.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

SatansBestBuddy posted:

PC, eh? The idea of "Streaming Virtual Console" grows stronger in my head...

super mario with steam achievements

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

MykonosFan posted:

EDIT: There have been some murmurings about a possible Nintendo Direct coming soon, perhaps that will address all of this in more detail

we're definitely due for one, it's been two months since the last one

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Korea's getting a Direct on Thursday. They aren't going to say anything in a Direct that they haven't said here.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
NX? Oh man Nintendo is gonna name this possible device the "Next Wii" and they're going to fail hilariously again at communicating the fact that it's a brand new console.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
I think the NX is a phone with exclusive Nintendo games on it.

A Big... Dog
Mar 25, 2013

HELLO DAD

noirstronaut posted:

I think the NX is a phone with exclusive Nintendo games on it.

Japan-only :(

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

im gonna buy an NX

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

I don't really know what to say about this sudden change in direction for Nintendo. I mean, I certainly knew that they would eventually have to accept the global market of mobile games; I just feel now wasn't the time. Games on mobile are still pure poo poo, and a waste of time. I personally never invested a moment on any of those games because I felt it hurt the gaming industry in general. I mean, sure mobile games are popular enough, but a true gamer would understand that you wouldn't show those games to a friend. They are basically bottom of the barrel games that only hold the interest of the player for a couple of minutes (gotta do something on the bus, I guess). I knew about the Pokemon mobile game about a year ago, and I accepted that since Pokemon are good games, and people are generally aware of the franchise. I just didn't know Nintendo would in full steam announce original, and additional IPs to mobile games. I look at something like the recent FFVI port to mobile and shutter what to expect in the upcoming years. Im also curious on what the hell is Nintendo going to once their stake in the "mobile" industry is taken away. The 3DS is popular, but if you announce Nintendo IPs to smartphones and the such, you are really compromising your business strategy for on-the-go Nintendo gaming. My guess is whatever "NX" is. it's gptta be both a gaming console, and a portable console at the dame time where everything syncs together. Iwata announces some bold things today and is looking unusually thing. I hope he is alright.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

The glimmering hope is that Iwata had an English script prepared about it.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Anime Curator posted:

I don't really know what to say about this sudden change in direction for Nintendo. I mean, I certainly knew that they would eventually have to accept the global market of mobile games; I just feel now wasn't the time. Games on mobile are still pure poo poo, and a waste of time. I personally never invested a moment on any of those games because I felt it hurt the gaming industry in general. I mean, sure mobile games are popular enough, but a true gamer would understand that you wouldn't show those games to a friend. They are basically bottom of the barrel games that only hold the interest of the player for a couple of minutes (gotta do something on the bus, I guess). I knew about the Pokemon mobile game about a year ago, and I accepted that since Pokemon are good games, and people are generally aware of the franchise. I just didn't know Nintendo would in full steam announce original, and additional IPs to mobile games. I look at something like the recent FFVI port to mobile and shutter what to expect in the upcoming years. Im also curious on what the hell is Nintendo going to once their stake in the "mobile" industry is taken away. The 3DS is popular, but if you announce Nintendo IPs to smartphones and the such, you are really compromising your business strategy for on-the-go Nintendo gaming. My guess is whatever "NX" is. it's gptta be both a gaming console, and a portable console at the dame time where everything syncs together. Iwata announces some bold things today and is looking unusually thing. I hope he is alright.

We kinda have to remember that Nintendo has literally never gone the popular or beaten path. Gamecube with mini discs, Wii with motion controls (that eventually caught on afterwards), the Wii U with it's crazy Gamepad poo poo, the DS with touchscreens, the 3DS with 3D. Some of these can be replicated in the market, but it's never been done on the scale Nintendo does them.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Iwata's thin because he had a tumour removed from his bile duct some months back.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Anime Curator posted:

quote:

true gamer

lol if you think this is an actual thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

We'll call it the SNES One

• Locked thread