Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

James The 1st posted:

Of course there are idiots on the Paradox forums who are complaining that this game is worse than SC 2013 because it's not totally perfect yet.

I.....what? :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

So work commuters exist but they don't need to connect to their jobs, right? Their importance is that they create traffic for the essential service vehicles?

RadioDog
May 31, 2005

SynthOrange posted:

Dammit I just realized that the four lane roads were causing a lot of my traffic issues. The divider in the middle prevents traffic from buildings on the sides from going in the wrong direction so they have to go all the way to the end of the road. With a six or two lane road, they can just cross and be on their way!

Now that I'm paying attention to these things, probably 75% of the roads where I live are 5 lanes, or 4 lanes with a left turn lane in the middle. Not sure what that would buy you vs. using 6 lanes, but it could replace the seemingly useless 4 lane. I also didn't like the way merging one ways (like ramps) into the game's 4 lane causes a traffic light, but I guess there must be a logic to it.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

SwissCM posted:

While the soundtrack for this isn't too bad, I think Sim City 3000 and 4 still hold the title for best city building music.

3000, in particular.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*
No love for SC2K? :(

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

FINALLY

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=409402809&searchtext=

I don't know why but this seems like an important thing to have for me.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***

WMain00 posted:

FINALLY

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=409402809&searchtext=

I don't know why but this seems like an important thing to have for me.

Nope you're not wrong, suburbarn areas are missing little fields. Roll on the little league baseball field!

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
I am a boring goon and I like to make villages and small towns in my city simulation games. Does building small work in City Skylines, or does the game assume you want to be a huge big-deal city all the time?

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Building small is easy, fun, and viable.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

I am a boring goon and I like to make villages and small towns in my city simulation games. Does building small work in City Skylines, or does the game assume you want to be a huge big-deal city all the time?

I guess you could ignore demand. People will remain happy without population growth. If you create loads of small towns you might need a huge fuckoff freeway system regardless due to bottle necking.

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

Well you could just build lots of small towns instead of one large one on the same map and give each their own power/water supply etc.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

That gives me an idea actually. Has anyone tried multiple towns on a map that are linked only by trains?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

It would work.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Well, there goes my evening then.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
How do we mod this in as a new dam, because :drat:

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Fhqwhgads posted:

How do we mod this in as a new dam, because :drat:

How is that dam even functional? I don't see any poop water at all.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
Hmmm... This is all good news, I guess I will be buying a computer game tonight! Thanks, all!

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
I find it really interesting to struggle with a busy road for like an hour, then realize if I just delete a couple connections it smooths everything out. Sometimes less is indeed more.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Has someone made a Gravity Falls Mystery Shack yet

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

This is a fun game and I'm glad I can make dick towns. I'll prob make a butte town with the sewage pipes at the end.

Vetitum
Feb 29, 2008

patiently waiting for someone to make a

by far my favourite SC4 building

Alakaiser
Jan 3, 2007

And the Lord Josh said, "Blessed are those cast away by Belichick, theirs is the kingdom of Denver." (Tebow 1:25)

Vetitum posted:

patiently waiting for someone to make a

by far my favourite SC4 building

For all of its flaws, I did like SC2013's baseball field:

I really want a park that looks something like this. Feels like a very important omission for a real good small town aesthetic.

edit: I didn't realize just how similar SC2013's UI is to CS until just now.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
Oculus city.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

meatsaw posted:

Now that I'm paying attention to these things, probably 75% of the roads where I live are 5 lanes, or 4 lanes with a left turn lane in the middle. Not sure what that would buy you vs. using 6 lanes, but it could replace the seemingly useless 4 lane. I also didn't like the way merging one ways (like ramps) into the game's 4 lane causes a traffic light, but I guess there must be a logic to it.
4 lanes with trees look awesome is all the logic I need. They make up the large scale grid in my city centers and keep the poors from parking on the main streets, another aesthetic coup. If you have a particularly busy intersection you can expand the road nodes nearest to the intersection up to 6 lanes for better turning lane assignments, but I guess that doesn't help if you have a mid block turning issue. I don't think I run into that between a granular grid size, and local neighborhood roads in each block linking 2-3 of the faces of the block.

BTW merging into a 6 lane also causes lights. The only freeby intersection for 4 lane and 6 lanes are 1 way out branches.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

WMain00 posted:

SketchUp is a disaster zone, which is annoying as 3D Warehouse has probably the most amount of freely available models. It's a pity though that drat near all of them have serious issues in modelling and texturing that usually results in the model just straight up failing to export properly.

I don't like Blender at all; there's a good reason its free. For starters its literally opposite world compared to all other 3d modelling tools out there - left is right, up is down. It creates seriously bad habits in modelling that become difficult to break out of.

3DS Max is good but it can be pretty daunting, although for simple game models it might not be so bad? The worst aspect seems to be texture mapping.
Sketchup does however have a far better set of tools for making buildings than Blender. If you model according to the usual polygonal modeling rules (try to keep it to quads and tris or something will probably break on export) it'll export to Blender or Max or whatever for texturing with no trouble.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
Sorry, I know .fbx files can be used by the game, but I opened up the asset editor and could only choose from pre-made assetts (didn't see a 'load from file' dialogue anyehere) , is there a second step needed?

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*

simosimo posted:

Sorry, I know .fbx files can be used by the game, but I opened up the asset editor and could only choose from pre-made assetts (didn't see a 'load from file' dialogue anyehere) , is there a second step needed?

You need to put the .fbx for the model and any maps it uses, in the "import" folder that opens up when you click the folder icon.

Dervyn
Feb 16, 2014
Is there any mods that modify the info-view overlay? The associated buildings light up purple in a given overlay, but I would love that other services would be colour coded (i.e. blue for police, brown for garbage and etc.) and not just white like the other buildings. Think it would make it easier to view the city when using those info-view and build accordingly.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
The amount of road space needed to get free-flowing, intersectionless traffic - even in a city of '23k' - is just mind-boggling. I feel like I'm playing Dubai Master Planner 1995 here.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Is there any good reason to have resources like ore and whatever actually deplete? I don't really like that idea at all, having your specialized industry be on a timer like that doesn't seem fun to me.

Zip!
Aug 14, 2008

Keep on pushing
little buddy

I finally made a decent city that I'm happy with and isn't a traffic nightmare! I used what I had learnt from my previous cities and planned out a bit more space so that as soon highways unlocked I was able to create a highway loop around my industrial district with plenty of on/off ramps on every side so traffic has easy access. I'm starting to get some buildup in my downtown area so my next big infrastructure project will be a big trans-peninsular highway which loops along the coast outside of my city. The tough decision now is whether or not to try and move one of my fused grids over a block or 2 so I can fit in a highway through the spine of the city or not. Choices!

give me thread
Dec 29, 2008

Nice!

It would be great if another mod gave the option to turn highways and railways invisible so we can build the future with floating cars and trains.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

****MIC TO THE WILLY***

Noyemi K posted:

You need to put the .fbx for the model and any maps it uses, in the "import" folder that opens up when you click the folder icon.

Wicked, will check that out. Beating a deadhorse here [i apologise], will the sketch models need a UV map, or are they 'generated' from the textures you apply with the face tool yourself.

ALSO

:siren:Solar panel fields for those inclined::siren:

http://steamcommunity.com//sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=409354116

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

God I love how easy it is to set up mods in this game. Oh hey that looks cool, click subscribe, done.

Vetitum
Feb 29, 2008

queeb posted:

God I love how easy it is to set up mods in this game. Oh hey that looks cool, click subscribe, done.

this x1000

the publishers deserve huge props and hella $$$ for the way they've integrated modding into the game

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

queeb posted:

Yeah they really knocked the ball out of the park with this. It's a pretty great model for other developers to try to follow, in terms of ease of use and integration.

It also illustrates the amazing success a great mod community can bring you. Do you think this game would have anywhere near the same amount of buzz if the game wasn't moddable? It's a great feedback loop that has definitely boosted their sales.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
I really wish I could take the $60 I spent on Simcity and give it to the people who worked on Cities: Skylines. They earned it.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Gonna give Paradox all the money

Alakaiser
Jan 3, 2007

And the Lord Josh said, "Blessed are those cast away by Belichick, theirs is the kingdom of Denver." (Tebow 1:25)

Ruggan posted:

Yeah they really knocked the ball out of the park with this. It's a pretty great model for other developers to try to follow, in terms of ease of use and integration.

It also illustrates the amazing success a great mod community can bring you. Do you think this game would have anywhere near the same amount of buzz if the game wasn't moddable? It's a great feedback loop that has definitely boosted their sales.

For sure. Between the pre-release streams and the healthy amount of mods and assets coming out already, the game is firing on all cylinders. The fact that it's all based on Unity seems like a huge plus for modders, too. As someone who enjoyed Simcity 4, but could never get into modding because it was a nightmare of dependencies and what have you, this is a dream.

While I'm here: my system clock mod that's in the OP now works in 16:10 resolutions! Now you can realize that you're staying up way too late while also playing at 1900x1200!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Is adding the little thumbnail part of the asset manager? I've noticed a lot of building addons dont have a thumbnail, just a generic white image which makes it hard to find in the list.

I have no problems with others so I think modders are just being lazy fucks.