Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rebochan
Feb 2, 2006

Take my evolution

Oh god, I think it broke Lindsey by the end.

Captain America is leading up the polling for the next one too :unsmigghh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Rebochan posted:

Oh god, I think it broke Lindsey by the end.

Captain America is leading up the polling for the next one too :unsmigghh:

Eh, I hope Supes can catch up. As a pop cultural icon he is just vastly more interesting than Cap, who, outside of the last 5+ years, never really had a huge public presence or many different adaptions, which is the core of the whole show after all.

But since Marvel movies are currently big with what is essentially the target audience of LC I am somewhat pessimistic.

Rebochan
Feb 2, 2006

Take my evolution

There's been tons of Cap adaptations in general... It's just that all of them are pretty awful until the MCU started up.

He's been in a ton of cartoons too.

It would be interesting to see a character who had one failed adaptation after another before finally breaking out into the mainstream, vs Supes who pretty much never left the public eye even when his film series would falter.

Either one would be a solid episode though.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

That movie where he gets carsick and kicks a missile headed for FDR and Ronnie Cox is the 1990s president deserves like a 90-minute RLM-level dissection.

Also the 60s cartoon. And I think he was in a movie serial when he was brand new during World War II. There's probably some really interesting stuff in there about changing American attitudes toward secret military experimentation on human subjects in the different versions of his origin between the 40s and now. The comics recently (circa 2000s) connected him to the Tuskegee experiments, for example.

Rebochan
Feb 2, 2006

Take my evolution

Plus Reb Brown played him in the 70s for a couple of failed pilot films.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

He had a cat as his animal companion. That plus Blast Hardcheese using his motorcycle's windshield is worth a mention.

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.
So what's going on with Blip?

Chez Apocalypse's $1000/mo milestone newsletter mentions "Aaaaaaand Blip doesn’t exist anymore. Maker our new benevolent overlords (waves!) suggest moving all our content to Youtube…." (https://www.patreon.com/creation?hid=1726851)

Some other content producers are posting directly to Youtube-- such as the latest Good Hook (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ey6SbGRHMGo). Though the lack of his opening & closing theme makes me wonder-- how feasible is it to transfer content from blip to youtube?

Blip had some fairly lax (read: sane) policies regarding fair use of copyrighted material. Youtube has the loving insane (read: loving insane) contentID poo poo going for it. I know I've seen Phelous tweet that "Syncopated Clocks" in older videos gets flagged, and he's had to replace with the A&W Bear song. I know Spoony's Black Hole: Gone Birdin' on Youtube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlQi_m8Mx_w) has huge chunks of it missing b/c it uses "What a Wonderful World". What other headaches will producers face as they attempt to move their catalog over?

And what about producers who aren't around anymore (either retired, or real life, or have passed on)? Will their back catalogs be downloaded and archived? Re-hosted? Anyway to rehost those videos while still making sure the produce (or their estate) gets whatever money comes in?

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Blip was purchased by Maker Studios a while back, which in turn was bought by Disney, so they don't exist as an independent company anymore. I think Lindsay and a couple of other big time producers have some kind of promotional agreement with them.

And since Blip has been purging low view/ activity accounts in the last couple of years I know some channels which don't exist anymore, i.e. Welshys channel was deleted.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.
Thunder in Paradise comes to Movie Nights.

I have fond memories of watching this with some friends in college and imagining Hogan doing his no-sell finger-wave to such formidable enemies as the Cuban Army and oxygen.

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

The nights will never be the same. ARARARAR!
The third one is great/awful for having a Fidel Castro lookalike in it who is also played by the guy who plays Bru, making it also racist.

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.
Liana K plays The Escapists while talking about Anita's "What I couldn't Say" speech.

https://youtu.be/6AyXUlJC9f4

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

e X posted:

Eh, I hope Supes can catch up. As a pop cultural icon he is just vastly more interesting than Cap, who, outside of the last 5+ years, never really had a huge public presence or many different adaptions, which is the core of the whole show after all.

But since Marvel movies are currently big with what is essentially the target audience of LC I am somewhat pessimistic.

There's years worth of Superman examination though. There's like nothing outside a couple internet posts about the evolution of Captain America. Plus Captain America as the American Ideal and the resulting changes is better than another rehash of immigrants and religion.

Also I just really love that in the beginning Captain America snuck around so his sergeant wouldn't find out Private Rodgers was really Captain America. It's so ridiculous, and would end up with him getting KP or something. Punch Hitler in the face, and get ordered to peal enough potatoes for the entire platoon as a result.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

lornekates posted:

Youtube has the loving insane (read: loving insane) contentID poo poo

As in "gently caress fair use!" insane or are they simply more strict (but in the right) compared to everyone else?

http://youtubedoubler.com/b9ly

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und
From what I can tell, Youtube are inconsistent as hell. They'll mute the sound in a video because it's got a short snippet of some copyrighted song, used in a context that's clearly parody/entertainment/not trying to claim that it's your song, or they'll shut you down for having an edited clip of a movie (for some reason they HATE anyone putting up footage of that terrible movie Closer - it gets flagged immediately, almost as if the creators of Closer don't want anyone to see bits of it and realise how bad it is) - but then they'll go right ahead and leave up videos that are the whole of a movie, or people posting a whole CD's worth of music by a known musician/artist. It's almost like they don't care about having someone else's content up there for free, as long as you don't edit it/alter it in any way. So the whole of Titanic can be up there for ages, but a Youtube poop of that guy hitting the propellor or whatever gets taken down immediately.

As a consequence I haven't yet put my stuff up on Youtube, even thought it might reach a greater audience/get me a little bit more pocket change through ad revenue, because I can't yet bring myself to face the headache of having videos muted or flagged.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

As in "gently caress fair use!" insane or are they simply more strict (but in the right) compared to everyone else?

http://youtubedoubler.com/b9ly

Mostly the former. They have an automated system that actively looks for potential infringement and have their dispute system set up in favor of complainants. Plus if you jump through all the hoops after getting a take down notice you can just get slapped with another one anyway. Also they allow dick moves like Nintendo just claiming all revenue for videos with footage of their games.

There's a lot of legitimate, are you making GBS threads me, piracy and infringement going on on youtube. However the system in place seems to use that as a justification to be draconinan in their response. Which is probably due in large part to the automated nature of it. Youtube's big and they can't employ enough people to look at everything, but they've set up a system that defaults to simply accepting the claims of the complainant.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer
I know that more than once, a company's been caught taking down negative reviews of their works through Content ID claims while leaving up positive reviews.

Getting off content ID, there's also how you can permanently get someone banned from Adsense by putting a clickbot on their ads if they aren't big enough to get Google bad press; more than a few LPers have gotten hit by that, though at least a couple of them had Google suddenly reverse the decision after they put out an article on the topic on one of the bigger gaming news sites.

There's also been leaks from former employees that they'll look for excuses to ban people from Adsense in the week before payment's due if Google thinks they're earning too much money, again unless they're someone that can give Google bad press over it; certain accounts for more significant users are internally flagged as "never touch their adsense, no matter what happens", while others are internally flagged as "look for any excuse whatsoever to kick them off because we're paying them too much".

Edit: Found one of the leaks I was talking about; Google denies the whole thing, of course, but a lot of bigger Adsense users have backed up the claims. And I'm pretty sure there's been at least one more leak about it since then.

Idran fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Mar 17, 2015

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Well that's pretty completely horrifying.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Well that's pretty completely horrifying.

Yeah honestly that's pretty sucky but in the end it's their network. :sigh:

Rebochan
Feb 2, 2006

Take my evolution

drat, even Film Brain is on Patreon now.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Gyges posted:

Mostly the former. They have an automated system that actively looks for potential infringement and have their dispute system set up in favor of complainants.

In favor of "complainants" is the important word here. Not "copyright holders", and there have indeed been problems with people getting their own original work on YouTube claimed by a third party and being kinda stuck because when disputing there's no option for "Actually I own this content" or even "The complainant doesn't own the content they're claiming" which has created a system that accommodates copyright trolls who claim content on random things and bank on the people they target being too scared of copyright strikes to contest, using that to steal ad revenue from people.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

dijon du jour posted:

In favor of "complainants" is the important word here. Not "copyright holders", and there have indeed been problems with people getting their own original work on YouTube claimed by a third party and being kinda stuck because when disputing there's no option for "Actually I own this content" or even "The complainant doesn't own the content they're claiming" which has created a system that accommodates copyright trolls who claim content on random things and bank on the people they target being too scared of copyright strikes to contest, using that to steal ad revenue from people.

Oh, that's right, I entirely forgot to mention this aspect of things. I remember a few times when people would be hit on content ID for their own creations by automated processes; I think the creator of VVVVVV got hit over his own game trailer once? And I remember a couple years back some Russian company hitting every video that had anything to do with music from the Persona series because they had something with a similar name, and a good number of those leading to actual video takedowns.

And it's worth emphasizing what dijon du jour said there: if you try to challenge a content ID match, "this person doesn't actually own the rights" isn't an option for the reason you're challenging it.

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.

Idran posted:

Oh, that's right, I entirely forgot to mention this aspect of things. I remember a few times when people would be hit on content ID for their own creations by automated processes; I think the creator of VVVVVV got hit over his own game trailer once? And I remember a couple years back some Russian company hitting every video that had anything to do with music from the Persona series because they had something with a similar name, and a good number of those leading to actual video takedowns.

And it's worth emphasizing what dijon du jour said there: if you try to challenge a content ID match, "this person doesn't actually own the rights" isn't an option for the reason you're challenging it.

Don't forget: NASA posts footage of the Curiosity Rover landing on Mars. A news outlet uses that (public domain) footage in a newscast. The news outlet posts their news story (with clips) on Youtube, and then claims copyright on NASA's landing footage AND HAS IT TAKEN DOWN!

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2012/08/as-curiosity-touches-down-on-mars-video-is-taken-down-from-youtube/

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Yeah honestly that's pretty sucky but in the end it's their network. :sigh:

Actually as the leak points out it's supremely loving illegal

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

lornekates posted:

Don't forget: NASA posts footage of the Curiosity Rover landing on Mars. A news outlet uses that (public domain) footage in a newscast. The news outlet posts their news story (with clips) on Youtube, and then claims copyright on NASA's landing footage AND HAS IT TAKEN DOWN!

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2012/08/as-curiosity-touches-down-on-mars-video-is-taken-down-from-youtube/

False copyright claims should have a monetary penalty proportional to the total value of the entity making the claim.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.
Vimeo ruled in favor of a complainant who demanded I take down commentary on their Supergirl fan film, even though their film starred a character they don’t loving own.

I think this says more about the thin-skinned hacks at Jimbo-Fail Exchange Productions than it does about Vimeo.

Bad Wolf
Apr 7, 2007
Without evil there could be no good, so it must be good to be evil sometime !
I can talk a bit about migration from Blip to Youtube, and YT's content ID system. It's mostly my own personal experience, but first, here's some examples from other producers.

- Spoony has had copyright claims on his own themesong a number of times, even though he has gotten the right to use it from the band.
- The Last Angry Geek has had to prove the riffs he does on old PSA movies are in the public domain.

Blip is going away. It's just a question of when. I was lucky enough that I still had all my original video files on my computer, so I didn't have to download the source files from Blip, a slooooow process, when they kicked me off. As for producers that are no longer active, or have passed on, never underestimate the fans. Most of Welshy's stuff was downloaded and put on YT by fans, with his blessing, I understand there was a project to save most of Jewwario's stuff, and a current project to restore the Transmission Awesome MP3 files.

About my dealings with YT copyright, It's kinda strange and confirms the randomness of the whole thing. I've gotten numerous copyright notices, but not a single takedown notice. They were mostly for cartoon clips I've used, but the owners are happy to let the videos stay up and put their own ads on them. For the record, the clips fall under fair use as I critique them, but every time I've fought a claim, they come back with, essentially, "nuh-uh". You can, off course, escalate further, but then you do risk a takedown. Also, and here's something you may not know, if you escalate further keeping your claim of fair use, the system looks at where you are. I got a notification that I had to prove I wasn't violating copyright in my own country , despite the copyright claimant being a US company. At that point I just threw up my hands and said, "gently caress it", cause that would involve talking to a lawyer.

When it comes to music, I use excerpts from songs in both my opening and closing credits. I have never gotten a notice for those, probably because I keep them below 25 seconds. The only time I've gotten a notice for music, and it still wasn't a takedown or muting, was when I used a longer clip of Mr. Perfect's entrance music from the WWE. Kinda funny, considering they stole that theme themselves from a movie.

I don't dispute copyright claims anymore, since I'm such a small fry there's really no money in it for me anyway. If I wanted to actually make some money, I'd use Patreon.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
In content related news, SFDebris takes a look at Lynch Dune

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

echopapa posted:

Thunder in Paradise comes to Movie Nights.

I have fond memories of watching this with some friends in college and imagining Hogan doing his no-sell finger-wave to such formidable enemies as the Cuban Army and oxygen.

I am watching this when i get home. thunder in paradise is the real life Knight Boat and i am happy that i saw this cheesy show growing up.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

Man, the whole making jokes during a review doesn't really work with this guy.

E: In any case, I'm looking forward to what he thinks of the mini-series.

TheMaestroso fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Mar 17, 2015

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

TheMaestroso posted:

Do you mean Lynch or SFDebris, because the later would be really weird, he tends to be pretty funny.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Cyron posted:

I am watching this when i get home. thunder in paradise is the real life Knight Boat and i am happy that i saw this cheesy show growing up.

Good news for Hulkamaniacs in the English-speaking world:

It's 5 episodes, pilot included.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Hogan is not his real last name guys.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
I checked if there is a German DVD release and of course there is.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

It's filed under art-house cinema:

http://www.amazon.com/Thunder-Paradise-Drinks-German-Release/dp/B000EMGGV6

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Pastamania is a chain in the South East Asia region. Apparently, it's unrelated to the Hulk but it's very confusing when you know about Hulk's Pastamania before you've seen it.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Hogan is not his real last name guys.

I don't care what his stage name is guys, you have to call him Robert Allen Zimmerman :goonsay:

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

TheMaestroso posted:

E: In any case, I'm looking forward to what he thinks of the mini-series.

I'll cut you. :chef:

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

The nights will never be the same. ARARARAR!

Jack Gladney posted:

Good news for Hulkamaniacs in the English-speaking world:

It's 5 episodes, pilot included.

It's the three movies, the only English release of the show. ("Movies" meaning "two-part episodes") Phelan and I reviewed the other two as well. The second review is on Patreon, the third is the next to be put together. They just call the other episodes Thunder in Paradise 2 and 3, but it's really obvious they're just episodes of a TV show.

Halibut Barn
May 30, 2005

help
It's also worth checking out Supergreatfriend's look at the Thunder in Paradise gameinteractive experience, though I can't remember if it was just a chopped-up TV episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Loose Canon: Lindsay's attempt to secretly have a reason to watch Transformers again and again.

One day, one day.

• Locked thread