Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

graph posted:

i fuckign love science

sounds like a good blog title

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

hobbesmaster posted:

i just looked and hertz in the bay area is literally cheaper

also hertz has a mileage limit of 180 miles per day.
180*30= 5400 miles/month

Breeze has a limit of more than half that. It's literally worse than a rental in every way.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

is it 180 per day? i thought it was unlimited mileage?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I like how people are using "be your own boss! new economy!" as code for debt slavery and exploitation

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib
it sounds like these guys have no idea how driving for uber works in reality (you already have a car and ignore its cost when figuring out if you're actually making money)

hobbesmaster posted:

lol first thing I did too

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Luigi Thirty posted:

I like how people are using "be your own boss! new economy!" as code for debt slavery and exploitation

I'm actually a tech worker, bitch. *ferries drunk people around*

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Citizen Tayne posted:

I'm actually a tech worker, bitch. *ferries drunk people around*

yeah I'm a tech worker lol suck it poors *makes $2 an hour*

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

hobbesmaster posted:

is it 180 per day? i thought it was unlimited mileage?

n/m, i was quoting fees from something called hertz 24/7, which is an hourly rental service from hertz
https://www.hertz247.com/oklahomacity/en-us/legal/feepolicy

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
the new captain of industry company, the previous be your own boss job was mlm.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
you could sell our overpriced and lovely things or you could sign up 3 of your friends!

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Wild EEPROM posted:

the new captain of industry company, the previous be your own boss job was mlm.

Wild EEPROM posted:

you could sell our overpriced and lovely things or you could sign up 3 of your friends!

breeze has a referral program and has a mandatory orientation meeting at their office so you're not too far off the mark

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
But can you drive for uber with a rental?

Dolomite
Jul 26, 2000
Cars & Legs

Syncopated posted:

you're disrupting rentals, of course you can

that breeze stuff sounds like a buy here, pay here user car lot

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Dolomite posted:

you're disrupting rentals, of course you can

that breeze stuff sounds like a buy here, pay here user car lot

except it's a lease here, pay here used car lot

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

hobbesmaster posted:

even if you double the advertised rental price to get what you actually pay?

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Syncopated posted:

I'm going to bet that driving for uber with a rental is about as legal as uber itself is

Dolomite
Jul 26, 2000
Cars & Legs

FCKGW posted:

except it's a lease here, pay here used car lot

most of the tote the note lots are glorified rental lots. they even have the wheelsnatcher tow truck sitting on the lot so you know up front your poo poo will get yanked even if one payment is missed. clean it up (if that) sell it to the next person. just like the houses in "the jungle".

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

FCKGW posted:

I saw this pop up on twitter and I'm not sure if it was talked about here.

new startup Breeze will do weekly leases on cars for uber drivers who don't want or can't buy their own

https://www.joinbreeze.com/what_we_offer

Only $800/mo ($1050 the first month) to lease a Prius for Uber!

how on earth is this remotely legal

Apr 7, 2003

duTrieux. posted:

your rights only matter if you know about them and can afford to defend them.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
majestic equality

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

libertarianism. i'll have the liberty to live in a mansion, you have the liberty of dying in the gutter.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

duTrieux. posted:

libertarianism. i'll have the liberty to live in a mansion, you have the liberty of dying in the gutter.

The law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich as well as the poor to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread.

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot

duTrieux. posted:

the beauty of libertarianism is that the one dying in the gutter is saying this

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

stoutfish posted:

the beauty of libertarianism is that the one dying in the gutter is saying this

i'm always blown away by the enormity of ignorance that is required for a person to hold libertarian beliefs past like 16 or 20 or so, much less to become old enough to have a stable family life w/o having some kinda mental breakdown

Apr 7, 2003

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i'm always blown away by the enormity of ignorance that is required for a person to hold libertarian beliefs past like 16 or 20 or so, much less to become old enough to have a stable family life w/o having some kinda mental breakdown

My landlord is 37 or so and owns 75 or more properties. when you've been given everything, it's easy to imagine you earned it.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

what if one company owned and maintained the cars and did dispatching, then divers would just give this company a flat fee each shift and get to keep what they make over that amount

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

qirex posted:

what if one company owned and maintained the cars and did dispatching, then divers would just give this company a flat fee each shift and get to keep what they make over that amount

the strip club/dancer business model :q:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

qirex posted:

there was an episode of taxi where reverend jim decided to stop being a goofball and be the world's best taxi driver. he brought drinks and snacks for the customers, and made tons of money. he bought a tv with the money, and i believe the episode ended with everybody watching a televised debate over the words "delawarean" and "delawareite"

i remember that episode whenever uber drivers talk about providing drinks for their passengers

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

mishaq posted:

the strip club/dancer business model :q:

this is literally how cab companies operate now

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
there was also that episode where they had a contest to see who could make the most money, and some drunk japanese businessmen who didn't speak english took a ride and tried to give judd hirsch like $500 because they didn't understand american money but he didn't take it

:(

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

duTrieux. posted:

why would it not be?

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

refleks posted:

good job on asking all those people what "brand activation" is and then not explaining it

it's a way to get your client company to send you and a half dozen of your fellow advertising majors to party in Austin for a week and a half on their dime.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Luigi Thirty posted:

its because they can pretend theyre elites who choose to serve customers on their own terms, rather than obedient service monkeys caught between customer demands and an unfeeling manager. you can get a lot of mileage out of tricking poors into feeling like they're not poor in some way, form, or fashion

my favorite example of that is one guy who turned up in d&d once and explained how he hated the minimum wage because he worked at a fast food place for minimum wage, and every time his managers gave him a raise for good performance, the minimum wage just so happened to go up by exactly the same amount a month or two later. he was super mad that he was earning these raises for working so drat hard and then big government came and gave all the lazy poors the same raise for nothing so he was never making more money than them despite his obviously superior skills

the punchline being that minimum wage increases are announced years in advance, so his boss was just giving everyone their minimum wage increase a month or two early and taking credit for it in order to make them feel special and rewarded

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

duTrieux. posted:

i don't see how it wouldn't be, given that renting cars is legal and this is a glorified rental service.

hobbesmaster posted:

i would bet that hertz, like any other sane rental car company probably, forbids using the car you're renting to provide paid transportation unless you pay them an extra deposit or something though.

cuz that seems like exactly the sorta risk that a rental car company does not want you to take with their vehicles.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
breeze registers the car in your name, and you have to provide your own insurance. in other words, if you wreck the car, you, personally, owe breeze a lot of money.

how many breeze drivers you reckon are getting livery insurance? personal policies ain't gonna pay out when they find out you were driving for uber

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

breeze registers the car in your name, and you have to provide your own insurance. in other words, if you wreck the car, you, personally, owe breeze a lot of money.

how many breeze drivers you reckon are getting livery insurance? personal policies ain't gonna pay out when they find out you were driving for uber

I was just thinking about how if they provided insurance then it wouldn't be quite the unlubricated corhholing it appeared to be on its face but welp

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

how is that different from like normal leasing arrangements though?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Nintendo Kid posted:

how is that different from like normal leasing arrangements though?

with a normal lease, the car is registered to the leasing company

so when a leased car is impounded, they give it back to the leasing company, who then gives it back to the lessee, which is how a lot of rich people get around dui problems

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Nintendo Kid posted:

i would bet that hertz

you'd be right! :iamafag:

• Locked thread