Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

buttplug posted:

2 silver bars (aka railroad tracks) is a Captain in the USMC. http://www.defense.gov/about/insignias/

Give it 6 months, you literally won't think twice about when to salute (or not). It'll just come naturally.

I'm not a shitbag on purpose. I got no inherit problem saluting anyone. I've noticed the black NCO and enlisted pins really stick out but damned if those silver ones dont just blend in with their spring/summer uniform.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

I laughed way too hard at this. Thank you.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
The best uniform fuckery is Navy guys in ACUs. I saw so so many Army O5s and below crispy saluting PO3s when I was in Iraq. When I was in Djibouti some of my guys were complaining about a similar situation as Lingcod and I told them they were under no obligation to try and figure out if they needed to salute someone in a deliberately obscured uniform (little different scenario since they were talking about Marine aviators specifically) and that if any of those officers had a problem with that that they were welcome to come talk it over with me. No one ever took me up on my invitation. :smith:

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Being an E-2 at Fort Sam a lot of the Navy dudes got salutes because of their NSUs. Our HM3 in charge of our class just told some of the kids that if someone had PO3, PO2, and PO1 insignia it demonstrated being part of a crew that sunk a ship, chevrons equating to boats. One of the Chiefs convinced some poor airmen to salute him and they asked me if it was true they had to. Some of the kids in our class thought that the anchor on a Chief's collar was from traditions when old submarines were around before torpedos, to defend the ship you'd hover the sub and drop the anchor. Fort Sam is a weird place.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

The enlisted Marines here are extremely polite and seem like a good enough bunch. I feel sorry for them though because they muster every night for cleaning and are forced to do something terrible they call "Pee Tee" every day. It look awful and I'm so glad we don't have anything remotely like that here.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Also, if there's a group of officers just hold the salute until you're past them. You don't have to raise and drop your arm for each of them. However, unless they're in formation, each of them is supposed to return the salute.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
My brother taught me the proud tradition of returning any and all salutes on the flightline with gang signs

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LowVhCfLm68

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
I think my favorite saluting story comes from a friend visiting his brother at Great Lakes for some ceremony.

After picking him up at the barracks he was walking back to his car when he noticed a sailor, well over a block away, standing at attention and saluting. He thought nothing of it and kept walking/talking with his brother. After several seconds of this he noticed that the sailor was still standing at attention and saluting. He commented to his brother, who told him that he was very likely saluting him, still well over a block away. So he hesitantly returned the salute, wherein the sailor then dropped his salute and continued on, presumably to salute and confuse the poo poo out of another officer from really loving far away.

In general I absolutely hate missing salutes but goddamn there is a lot of saluting in any given day.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Boon posted:

I think my favorite saluting story comes from a friend visiting his brother at Great Lakes for some ceremony.

After picking him up at the barracks he was walking back to his car when he noticed a sailor, well over a block away, standing at attention and saluting. He thought nothing of it and kept walking/talking with his brother. After several seconds of this he noticed that the sailor was still standing at attention and saluting. He commented to his brother, who told him that he was very likely saluting him, still well over a block away. So he hesitantly returned the salute, wherein the sailor then dropped his salute and continued on, presumably to salute and confuse the poo poo out of another officer from really loving far away.

In general I absolutely hate missing salutes but goddamn there is a lot of saluting in any given day.

He could have just ignored the dumbass.

quote:

Salute at a distance at which recognition is easy, normally within 30 paces. Salute when the person being saluted is about six paces from you or at the nearest point of approach. Hold the salute until the person saluted passes you or returns your salute; then end the salute. Accompany your salute with one of the following greetings:
1. From first rising until noon—“Good morning, . . . ”
2. From noon until sunset—“Good afternoon, . . . ”
3. From sunset until turning in—“Good evening, . . .”

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Stultus Maximus posted:

He could have just ignored the dumbass.

Well yeah, but he did it because the (probably slightly terrified) recruit didn't deserve to just stand there like an idiot while he walked all the way up to him.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Boon posted:

Well yeah, but he did it because the (probably slightly terrified) recruit didn't deserve to just stand there like an idiot while he walked all the way up to him.

Of course boots deserve to look like idiots.

Nwabudike Morgan
Dec 31, 2007

Stultus Maximus posted:

keelhaul the lot of em'

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
Also I have to say sailors have nothing on soldiers when it comes to avoiding having to salute. It's like an art form for those guys.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I accidentally bowed (tripped while greeting) a chief on December 7th in front of his division.

"GODDAMN IT RECRUIT THIS ISNT JAPAN WE DONT BOW HERE"

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Stultus Maximus posted:

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Only time I had problem seeing the rank was when it was a god drat warrant officer.

germskr
Oct 23, 2007

HAHAHA! Ahh Eeeee BPOOF!

vulturesrow posted:

The best uniform fuckery is Navy guys in ACUs. I saw so so many Army O5s and below crispy saluting PO3s when I was in Iraq. When I was in Djibouti some of my guys were complaining about a similar situation as Lingcod and I told them they were under no obligation to try and figure out if they needed to salute someone in a deliberately obscured uniform (little different scenario since they were talking about Marine aviators specifically) and that if any of those officers had a problem with that that they were welcome to come talk it over with me. No one ever took me up on my invitation. :smith:

The funny thing is a lot of PO3s definitely look too young to be an O-6. I guess the military has done a decent job at not questioning a shiny collar device and the person wearing it. Also, gently caress the Coast Guard and their combination cover wearing ways

There was a LCDR in Bahrain who would run from point A to point B covering his cover device and blouse so he wouldn't have to be saluted/return the salute. AFN has some hilarious PSAs regarding saluting/colors/that's not what right looks like.

Edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfhsCBFYNw0 found the one for the nobles.

germskr fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Mar 18, 2015

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q
cg combo cover is gay I agree but it's easy to read from like 2ly away

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

I assume the "right" way is equivalent to a Navy guy shouting "HOOYAH SHIPMATE, FAIR WINDS AND FOLLOWING SEAS!"

That reminds me of a while back when all the right-wing fart sniffers got spun up over the president giving a half-assed salute while holding a coffee cup. Ignoring the fact that the president is a civilian who doesn't need to salute anybody (thanks, Reagan, for getting that started), I was thinking that if you followed someone around with a camera 24/7, you could get photos of anybody giving a goofy salute here or there. I know I've certainly had a few. It doesn't mean I hate America, it just means sometimes I was distracted or had something in the wrong hand.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
Can you believe Obama made a United States Marine hold an umbrella?! How degrading! for are troops!

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

Boon posted:

Some foreign militaries are weird like this. The Koreans will salute from across the street (and they give a verbal greeting whenever they salute)...like 35 paces way. It's off the chain stupid.

They also used to irritate the piss out of me because they'd divert their attention in the middle of a conversation with a more senior US officer to salute a more junior ROK officer. REALLY loving irritating when you're trying to talk to some PFC translator and he cuts you off mid-sentence to salute some loving ROK butterbar.

buttplug fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Mar 18, 2015

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

buttplug posted:

Some foreign militaries are weird like this. The Koreans will salute from across the street (and they give a verbal greeting whenever they salute)...like 35 paces way. It's off the chain stupid.

They also used to irritate the piss out of me because they'd divert their attention in the middle of a conversation with a more senior US officer to salute a more junior ROK officer. REALLY loving irritating when you're trying to talk to some PFC translator and he cuts you off mid-sentence to salute some loving ROK butterbar.

That may be, but that PFC gonna get beat if he doesn't.

Had a GMSN come back to me when I was standing OOD IP ghost white and asked me never to send him over to the ROK ship again. When I asked why, it was because he had witnessed an ROK officer batoning the poo poo out of a sailor on the arms for some minor infraction.

Boon fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Mar 18, 2015

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Sir Lucius posted:

Can you believe Obama made a United States Marine hold an umbrella?! How degrading! for are troops!

That marine can now put on his eval "at great personal risk to self defended the president of the united states from god himself".

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

ded posted:

That marine can now put on his eval "at great personal risk to self defended the president of the united states from god himself".

He's a super pog so he probably got a NAM.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
Well gently caress. I just got an EP. Guess it's time to study for advancement exams and be the spite of all my peers.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Sir Lucius posted:

Well gently caress. I just got an EP. Guess it's time to study for advancement exams and be the spite of all my peers.

congrats.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Sir Lucius posted:

Collect their tears and sip on them in front of them, splash their faces in it when they're complaining that they didn't care about the test anyway yet continue to spout about how they would be better than you. Feast on their weeping souls.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
Woah, I was just kidding dude. I'm not a corpsman, our community's not really like that.

Susa
Apr 27, 2013
I take my first advancement exam in 2 years and its mathematically impossible to pick up off of an mp, moral of the story never be a corpsman.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
They really need to fix the fix they made to the eval system.

When I was in they were switching to what is used now, and before everyone HAD to get 4.0 across the board or no one had a shot at a promotion. Now you have to have that one wierd trick in your eval to get it.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Sir Lucius posted:

Time to start coasting until you advance

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Susa posted:

I take my first advancement exam in 2 years and its mathematically impossible to pick up off of an mp, moral of the story never be a corpsman.

Without knowing the quotas how can you be sure?

e: I agree with never be a corpsman.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

PneumonicBook posted:

Without knowing the quotas how can you be sure?

e: I agree with never be a corpsman.

What if you really like dick?

I'm asking for a friend.

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE

LingcodKilla posted:

I'm asking for a friend.

In that case be a female corpsman. Ours on USS Oneofmyships was charging for late night medical visits.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

LingcodKilla posted:

I'm asking for a friend.

Be an MA.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Don't transfer EPs not count anymore or something?

But yeah gently caress the Navy eval system. Unless you're a CT or IT or nuke whatever and have 80-98% advancement to e-6

Seeing a 24 year old e-6 blew my mind

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Pretty sure I met a 27y old CT something chief on Corry.

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Don't transfer EPs not count anymore or something?

But yeah gently caress the Navy eval system. Unless you're a CT or IT or nuke whatever and have 80-98% advancement to e-6

Seeing a 24 year old e-6 blew my mind

Nwabudike Morgan
Dec 31, 2007
there were legit sub-30 year old chiefs aplenty in hampton roads cause of dat sweet sweet IS advancement

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seqenenra
Oct 11, 2005
Secret

You don't even have to be an MA, just volunteer to help with the urinalysis program and you'll see all the dick you can stand.

• Locked thread