Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spacemonkey57
Dec 1, 2004

TheJoker138 posted:

I want someone to tell Howard how much money Pewdiepie makes just to see his reaction.

I think his head would explode. I don't understand the appeal of watching other people play video games and I'm a couple of decades younger than him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

More Primus For Fucks Sake.

AxeManiac posted:

that is kind of like saying there "X number of youtube shows". I don't know what makes something an official podcast or not, but a lot of dudes are more than willing to ramble into a microphone for an hour, three times a week. The trick is getting people to listen or pay you to speak. I'd say the number of "successful" podcasts is even lower.

I don't know if I'd call Artie's podcast successful yet or not.

Yeah that is what I was thinking, it didnt specify if it were ALL podcasts or just the ones on iTunes.

BobbyK
Jun 4, 2008

by Cyrano4747
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=By2hbIp2cuA

I've never seen this clip but it's kind of amazing to me.

Was Artie even seeing a therapist during this time? What a loving amazing liar.

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

BobbyK posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=By2hbIp2cuA

I've never seen this clip but it's kind of amazing to me.

Was Artie even seeing a therapist during this time? What a loving amazing liar.

I think he was but I am not sure.

I am always amazed how far people will go for Heroin. Tip-If you want to try Heroin, don't.

Keg
Sep 22, 2014

a cop posted:

Millions of people still listen to Stern. That's besides the newsgroups/people who listen on youtube which still get massive numbers.

Who? Who's made a name for themselves and a career podcasting? Everyone I know about came from another medium just like Howard's said.

That's actually shocking. I assumed it'd be in the low to mid hundreds of thousands at this point.

lynch_69
Jan 21, 2001

I love Howard, he went through hell and back to make some kind of a name for himself on radio. I think it's safe to say there won't ever be another star like him to emerge from 'traditional radio', but that's because traditional radio and even satellite radio are currently in a slow death spiral. Sure, there will be some form of AM/FM/shortwave radio just like there will always be some kind of terrestrial or satellite broadcast TV, but in the age of on demand streaming those things will be relegated to speciality markets and niche audiences.

Ari Shaffer is right when it comes to the future of broadcasting, and Howard is an out of touch old man when it comes to anything Internet related. Howard at this point in his career is more like Jay Leno than anyone else, looking for mainstream appeal and an easy gig with one of the big networks. And good for him, he's scraped and struggled over the years to reach the top, but let's be honest, he's going to fade away hosting prime time family friendly singing and dancing talent contests or reality shows until he's 110, turning into America's lovable grandpa or some poo poo.

lynch_69 fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Mar 16, 2015

Keg
Sep 22, 2014

To Battle posted:

According to Wikipedia there are currently more than 115,000 podcasts. I'm laughing to myself about how bad some of these can be. I know of like 6 that I actually enjoy listening to.

There are no less than 3 pro wrestling podcasts that are only listened to by the pro wrestling PSP posters and are also hosted by pro wrestling PSP posters.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.

To Battle posted:

I am always amazed how far people will go for Heroin. Tip-If you want to try Heroin, don't.

It blows my mind how many otherwise smart people I know who got into Heroin. I just don't get it. I understand becoming an alcoholic, or a pothead, or whatever, since there are tons of people who can drink or smoke and otherwise be fine in life, but there is no such thing as a dude who has used Heroin for 20 years and not hosed his life up (at least I doubt it).

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
"Heroin is probably the best thing in the world" people who haven't used heroin

"Heroin is the best thing in the world" everyone else

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Ribsauce posted:

It blows my mind how many otherwise smart people I know who got into Heroin. I just don't get it.

Heroin sounds amazing and if I'm ever diagnosed with incurable cancer, I'm going to go out with a needle in my vein.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
What do you think oxycontin and palliative care is? No needles required.

Cliche Guevara
Dec 12, 2005
whistlebritches
Real talk. Never trust a junkie. Speaking from someone (me) who, right now, is dealing with an ex who used for five years without me being on their radar and a goomah to boot helping their partner clean up.

Disgusting poo poo. Do never ever.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
I wonder if there is anything in the world that is followed through less than "When I am on my death bed I am doing heroin"

Soft Shell Crab
Apr 12, 2006

Ribsauce posted:

I wonder if there is anything in the world that is followed through less than "When I am on my death bed I am doing heroin"

Probably only "This is the last time I'm doing heroin".

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

a cop posted:

Millions of people still listen to Stern. That's besides the newsgroups/people who listen on youtube which still get massive numbers.

Who? Who's made a name for themselves and a career podcasting? Everyone I know about came from another medium just like Howard's said.

I never said they didn't come from other mediums, but that doesn't make them invalid. The Giant Bomb guys writing about video games first doesn't make the fact that they have a hugely successful podcast any less valid than if they didn't. If you want something that started as a podcast and is hugely successful with people not from other mediums though, Welcome to Night Vale, who are selling out theaters worldwide and now making a spin off book.

And like the guy who Howard was yelling at said, not a single person who is doing a podcast WANTS to go into traditional radio, because they all know that traditional radio is loving dead. Howard's example of Rush Limbaugh made me nearly do a spit take. Rush Limbaugh is on the radio and not a podcast because his audience are all roughly the same age as the loving Crypt Keeper and wouldn't know what an ipod was, let alone a podcast.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Ribsauce posted:

That's a hard one to time right, you only get one shot at it.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Judging by the companies that advertise on Howards show I would say his numbers are way down from his terrestrial days.

Maybe a million listeners in a week, but not daily.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

JB50 posted:

Judging by the companies that advertise on Howards show I would say his numbers are way down from his terrestrial days.

Maybe a million listeners in a week, but not daily.

Most of his advertisers are the same companies that advertise on podcasts.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

lynch_69 posted:

I love Howard, he went through hell and back to make some kind of a name for himself on radio. I think it's safe to say there won't ever be another star like him to emerge from 'traditional radio', but that's because traditional radio and even satellite radio are currently in a slow death spiral. Sure, there will be some form of AM/FM/shortwave radio just like there will always be some kind of terrestrial or satellite broadcast TV, but in the age of on demand streaming those things will be relegated to speciality markets and niche audiences.

Ari Shaffer is right when it comes to the future of broadcasting, and Howard is an out of touch old man when it comes to anything Internet related. Howard at this point in his career is more like Jay Leno than anyone else, looking for mainstream appeal and an easy gig with one of the big networks. And good for him, he's scraped and struggled over the years to reach the top, but let's be honest, he's going to fade away hosting prime time family friendly singing and dancing talent contests or reality shows until he's 110, turning into America's lovable grandpa or some poo poo.

I think the most embarrassing thing about the Ari Shaffir response to Stern's twenty-minute rambling is how short it is. Two minutes and Ari skewers Howard's inability to know technology, his outdated and ill-informed views on radio, and then even scores a plug off of him while turning down a chance to be talked down to. Ari not only schools a long-time broadcaster, he does it in such a way that it completely negates Howard. No kissing of the ring or taking the invitation to the studio as some kind of honor, it's just a 'you're old and outdated, thanks for the invite but no, and here's a plug for my show that just happens to call out your entire twenty minute rant about someone you claim not to know or even care about, sit and spin.' There's not even a coating of 'I respect you and your career.' It's the kind of blow-off that is usually given to someone who has no cultural relevancy at all. It's mean but it's been coming for a while, but to see it done in two minutes with a plug to cap it all off, it really puts Stern's fame and bloated ego in a nutshell.

As for Stern's 'mainstream' career, I see it as moribund. He'll probably become one of those people famous for being famous.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
His mainstream career is a joke. It always goes back to that bit from the movie where the people that hate him listen more than his real fans. Potential watchers(think your Stern hating parents when he really got going in the 90s) tuning in to watch ca-razy Howeird Stern are expecting this character from 1995 when the reality is he's a 60yo boring, neurotic shut-in so obsessed with his current image it's essentially killed anything from him that people used to like. Nobody but hardcore Howie fans are tuning in to AGT for him. If this was 15 years ago and he was being outrageous and brash he'd be must-see TV for fans and haters alike but he's so tame now nobody cares.

Not to mention if he doesn't have a show to plug his TV appearances on nobody is going to pick him up to judge anything. When the show ends this year I'm sure he'll be dropped from AGT shortly after, he'll have zero appeal. You might see him pick up a spot on a few crappy shows here and there but the next big thing we see out of him is on TMZ when he either gives Beth a kid or she leaves him.

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends
Yeah then he'll have nothing to do but cry himself to sleep on his literal mountain of money doing whatever he wants for the rest of his life while his legacy as one of the most controversial broadcasters in any medium ever is secured forever.

Realistically, nothing short of burning to death in a tragic Fartman fart lighting attempt would be a sufficiently dramatic ending for the story Howard has written over the last thirty years. Of course he's going to get old and boring, everybody does, and frankly he's more entertaining at 60 than most of the population would be. Let the guy rest for the rest of his life, he couldn't have reasonably achieved more in one measly lifetime. He brought untold hours of joy to myself and everyone in this thread over his career and frankly I don't give a poo poo if he quits tomorrow. He's entitled at this point.

Re: Ari, I love Joe Rogan and you can tell how much he hates bashing people on his podcast, he's been friends with Ari forever and he still can't agree with him. Howard has one thing right, however, and that's that Ari's been at this for way too long to be as relatively unknown as he is. If Rogan wasn't constantly plugging the guy for free even I wouldn't have any idea he existed past the Amazing Racist videos from like a decade ago.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Advice posted:

Re: Ari, I love Joe Rogan and you can tell how much he hates bashing people on his podcast, he's been friends with Ari forever and he still can't agree with him. Howard has one thing right, however, and that's that Ari's been at this for way too long to be as relatively unknown as he is. If Rogan wasn't constantly plugging the guy for free even I wouldn't have any idea he existed past the Amazing Racist videos from like a decade ago.

:wth: This is the Amazing Racist guy? I remember those videos!

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

Advice posted:

Yeah then he'll have nothing to do but cry himself to sleep on his literal mountain of money doing whatever he wants for the rest of his life while his legacy as one of the most controversial broadcasters in any medium ever is secured forever.

:laffo: at Howard relaxing and enjoying the wealth he built.

I never said he couldn't soften his image or relax and enjoy old age but the man's career was built on shock from day one so let's not pretend he has the same ability to entertain as he once did and of course he's more entertaining than most 60 year olds but most 60 year olds didn't spend 3+ decades in the business.

As far as podcasts go this isn't even his age showing. Howard has been piss-poor with technology from the start. He's too hesitant to jump on with anything and his attitude towards it is laughable at best. If he had even an inkling of the world around him with his money there's no telling what cool stuff he could have done for the show or just to enjoy in his life.

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends
I wholeheartedly agree with this. Howard is definitely jaded from his time in the industry and has a "gently caress you, got mine" attitude about everything. A man who basically fell rear end backwards into hundreds of millions of dollars by farting should probably be doing more to support emerging media but he seems to really think terrestrial radio is still the metric to measure by when the current components are, what, Morning Zoos and Fox News?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Let's not forget the fact that the media in general (of which Howard the the king of all) has become incredibly more politically-correct since the 90s.

CortezFantastic
Aug 10, 2003

I SEE DEMONS
Podcasting won't make you a billionaire so no it doesn't matter to him. Howard grew up when radio mattered. Radio has barely mattered in the real world since Howard went to Sirius, really. Both of them are right in their own way.

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

Once they start putting Wifi in cars, terrestrial is finished.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

To Battle posted:

Chrysler is already doing this in some newer models.

Its been about 5 years since I had a Sirius radio but the only time I ever thought it was really useful is when I drove from Ontario to Florida.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

To Battle posted:

Agree with this 100%

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

Yeah there are custom shops now who install Wifi, Im not sure how, but somehow they manage. Like having an iPad as your dashboard is a real possibility for the future, though hopefully smaller because that would be real distracting.

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

Bonzo posted:

Chrysler is already doing this in some newer models.

Doesn't Tesla also have WiFi in their cars? It's either that or the TuneIn app by itself.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

I've been looking at new cars and most of them have this thing called Aha Radio which gets a data connection through your phone and presents podcasts to you as if they were radio stations. It's very similar to Tune In in that they have a bunch of live content too.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
If car wifi works anything like phone wifi, I'd only have access to it at home. Unless they are planning on putting out some wifi signals for them all over roads and bridges and crap. That would be nice, like uhh, a radio.

Keg
Sep 22, 2014

Advice posted:

Realistically, nothing short of burning to death in a tragic Fartman fart lighting attempt would be a sufficiently dramatic ending for the story Howard has written over the last thirty years. Of course he's going to get old and boring, everybody does, and frankly he's more entertaining at 60 than most of the population would be. Let the guy rest for the rest of his life, he couldn't have reasonably achieved more in one measly lifetime. He brought untold hours of joy to myself and everyone in this thread over his career and frankly I don't give a poo poo if he quits tomorrow. He's entitled at this point.

Unless somebody has a weird natural knack for standup like Bill Hicks or they're a total theatre queer like Bo Burnham, they take 10ish years to not be awful at standup. I think Ari Shaffir never got on stage until he was almost 30.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

AxeManiac posted:

If car wifi works anything like phone wifi, I'd only have access to it at home. Unless they are planning on putting out some wifi signals for them all over roads and bridges and crap. That would be nice, like uhh, a radio.

The main connection would 3 or 4g so your wireless provider would have to support it. I'm guessing there is a "router" in the car with a wireless network so that multiple devices can connect.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
I'm worried Stern is going to out live me, with his family genes and monk like lifestyle, he is going to blow right past 100

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

AxeManiac posted:

I'm worried Stern is going to out live me, with his family genes and monk like lifestyle, he is going to blow right past 100

Plus he can afford any medical treatments he might need. If IBM has to put his head in a jar, he'll get them to do that.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

prefect posted:

Plus he can afford any medical treatments he might need. If IBM has to put his head in a jar, he'll get them to do that.

That kind of wealth is a double edged sword for neurotic celebrities like Stern though.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone

EngineerJoe posted:

That kind of wealth is a double edged sword for neurotic celebrities like Stern though.

More like Robin you mean. She's the kind that goes on globetrotting treks for holistic medicines or hires quacks to wrap her up in electric blankets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I don't think Howard's sentiment was that radio is the only way for someone to be successful or the only legitimate broadcast medium, but more like, before you take a shot at me and my life, you should be more worried about the fact that you're middle-aged and plugging dates for Chuckles and Hee Haws on Joe Rogan's podcast. Howard found a path to be successful, capitalized on it in numerous groundbreaking ways, and at the height of his power parlayed that success into other ventures. I think we all agree that Howard has fallen far from his creative peak, but I also think Ari should be more worried about his own career and less about taking shots at someone who already achieved everything they wanted to achieve.