Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Also, is there a simple guide to creating a model with textures anywhere and importing it ? preferably with sketchup since I am dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009
I don't think the 100 people who have subscribed to my train wreck of a city know what they've signed up for.

Zip!
Aug 14, 2008

Keep on pushing
little buddy

Westminster System posted:

Thanks, I'm mostly happy that apart from a few terrible areas of industrial traffic hell, it mostly works.

I am pushing about 450k~ at this point, mostly thanks to the 25 tile mod to be fair. The game runs at normal 1 > speed even at >>> at this point though, cause of my terrible computer.

As always, obligatory set pieces aside from the airport earlier are included, the 2 "grandest" offerings being the Arch and "Palais de Amadea".

This is a beautiful creation, what map does this use so I can gently caress up the recreation of your city? :v:

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

triplexpac posted:

Is there any good reason to have resources like ore and whatever actually deplete? I don't really like that idea at all, having your specialized industry be on a timer like that doesn't seem fun to me.

I don't think so. I feel like each disconnected zone of a resource should have a maximum daily output maybe modified by the average development level of the mine. Or maybe a mine or well ploppable produces X per day up to the zones max output and then that gets shipped to the ore/oil industry for processing.

The cool thing about Skylines is someone could probably make a mod that does this. :shepface:

EDIT: Probably adjust the profit down a bit as I think the current idea is that you get a bunch of extra money from them but they run out quick

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Is there a mod that increases the power radius of buildings? As much as I like drawing power lines this is loving retarded and annoying.

It's also seemingly impossible to connect power across any kind of road unless there are buildings on either side. I'm not talking about wide roads but the regular two lane ones. You can see it in the second screenshot. The tiny sliver of power connection that reaches across the street is not enough for a power pylon to do poo poo. :argh:

Alakaiser
Jan 3, 2007

And the Lord Josh said, "Blessed are those cast away by Belichick, theirs is the kingdom of Denver." (Tebow 1:25)

Sylink posted:

Is adding the little thumbnail part of the asset manager? I've noticed a lot of building addons dont have a thumbnail, just a generic white image which makes it hard to find in the list.

I have no problems with others so I think modders are just being lazy fucks.

There's definitely a way to do it. I saw a guide for it...somewhere. Here, reddit, google, I forget. Whatever it is, it's probably not obvious in-game.

This is a big pet peeve of mine. It took me forever to figure out how the hell to add a preview image to the workshop. I'm not 100% it's the same way for assets, but I'd be stunned if it wasn't.

When you're sharing/updating a mod, this screen comes up:

See that little folder? The incredibly loving small one in the bottom right of the preview image? You have to click that, and it opens up the folder with the mod in explorer outside of the game. In there, you have to delete the image in there (PreviewImage.png) and replace it with your own PreviewImage.png (the dimensions used are 644x360 if anyone cares). If you want to change it, you'll need to push an update from the game to the workshop.

Also silly: to update your own mod, you have to subscribe to it in the workshop. The update button will appear on the version you got from the workshop, rather than the copy you store locally to upload it in the first place. That same folder with PreviewImage also contains a folder that has the .dll for the mod in it (and I'm again assuming the art asset/map/color correction). You have to remove the old one and toss in the new one. Best as I can tell, you can slap whatever the hell dll you want in there. I could be wrong (this would be the least surprising thing ever), but this seems like something of a security flaw, especially since updates download automatically. I haven't tested that there because uh. I'm not a dick.

For all the good that comes out of the mod community, the method of actually uploading stuff seems...off. It really is a minor complaint, honestly.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Poil posted:

Is there a mod that increases the power radius of buildings? As much as I like drawing power lines this is loving retarded and annoying.

I actually am looking forward to a mod where roads transfer both power and water. The current system is a little make-worky.

The Mantis
Jul 19, 2004

what is yall sayin?
:siren:holy poo poo I figured out walkways:siren:

When you're connecting, hover over the actual walkway, not the terrain square. Wait for it to turn blue, then proceed with your super skyway.

Everyone probably already knows this, but I was having a bitch of a time building them. It kept deleting when I meant to connect.

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009

Zip! posted:

This is a beautiful creation, what map does this use so I can gently caress up the recreation of your city? :v:

It uses the stock Islands map.

Alternatively, you can download the actual savegame (and subscribe to the associated mod collection) here: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=409277795 - then you can maul as you wish, such as trying to get back under the building limit :psyduck:.

Westminster System fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Mar 17, 2015

kaxman
Jan 15, 2003

Poil posted:

It's also seemingly impossible to connect power across any kind of road unless there are buildings on either side. I'm not talking about wide roads but the regular two lane ones. You can see it in the second screenshot. The tiny sliver of power connection that reaches across the street is not enough for a power pylon to do poo poo. :argh:

You have to actually put a pole down inside the blue area. You have managed to miss it with both of those poles there.

Generally power will make it across the street and you end up removing all the power lines as the city grows anyway :shrug:

edit: It's when blue areas overlap that they connect, I believe, so it reaches across the street as soon as a new building
goes up that needs it...

e2:I see what you mean, didn't get it at first. The solution would be for the power pylons to have a little blue area of their own, which now you mention it I am suprised they don't.

kaxman fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Mar 17, 2015

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

The solution is that he needs to unpause the game.

Dred_furst
Nov 19, 2007

"Hey look, I'm flying a giant dong"
Welcome to my city hellhole:

loving about with bad interchange designs from real life:

the main city entrance:

I need to find a way to stop pedestrians crossing the 6 lane road, footbridges would probably work. the fuckers.

fart barterer
Aug 24, 2006

David Byrne - Like Humans Do (Radio Edit).mp3
Loving this game and have a bunch of co-workers playing it.

I thought I had the traffic situation all figured out by making criss-crossing one-way roads, given that (at least I assume) they should make traffic intersections more efficient. However the grid still gets super backed up. Metro and bus stops help but firefighters are still having issues getting to "green" areas of fire truck access because of traffic at intersections.

If I'm doing a standard city block grid, with slightly long rectangles, what is the best way to arrange the roads?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

This city was started yesterday when I found a tutorial someone linked for making good looking parallel curving roads in the previous thread. That, along with the game being a massive traffic jam simulator convinced me to try frontage roads along a curved highway.

Still running strong, though now that I've got the no pillars/elevated train track over road mod I need to go back and clean up el-rail so that it travels mostly above roads.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

TomR posted:

Oculus city.

This feels like some kind of sci-fi dystopia. Please place the space elevator dead centre.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Fintilgin posted:

I actually am looking forward to a mod where roads transfer both power and water. The current system is a little make-worky.
Underground power cables would be pretty sweet too.

kaxman posted:

e2:I see what you mean, didn't get it at first. The solution would be for the power pylons to have a little blue area of their own, which now you mention it I am suprised they don't.
That's a really good idea.

Control Volume posted:

The solution is that he needs to unpause the game.
I paused the game when I took the screenshots, chirperface.

Poil fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Mar 17, 2015

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Power cables are annoying as gently caress because sometimes you make a new zone and then you have to run a power cable through it to power it then wait for some to build up so you can delete the cable and rezone the land the cable was sitting on. Agh.

Is there a tool where I can tell where foot traffic is loving up car traffic so footbridges would help?

Dred_furst posted:

loving about with bad interchange designs from real life:

Maybe replace that onramp with a two-lane one-way road?

Dred_furst
Nov 19, 2007

"Hey look, I'm flying a giant dong"

MikeJF posted:

Power cables are annoying as gently caress because sometimes you make a new zone and then you have to run a power cable through it to power it then wait for some to build up so you can delete the cable and rezone the land the cable was sitting on. Agh.

Is there a tool where I can tell where foot traffic is loving up car traffic so footbridges would help?

it's one of these, they're common in the UK and they're really terrible at any traffic level.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

MikeJF posted:

They're all turning left (onto the circle) so they'd just go up in one line anyways.

kinnas
Jan 28, 2008
The Case of Martin Heidegger, Philosopher and Nazi Part 2: The Cover-up
Waiting for a mod that lets you set up a playlist of lookup tables so you can have your color correction fade between bright mornings and sunset oranges and midnight blues. Maybe summer greens and fall reds?

Or just oscillate between 80s future neon

and Sin City

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

Underground powerlines, even for twice the cost of above ground ones would be amazing.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Guys I had a slight panic attack when faced with the infinite prospects of the first highway connections. Can anyone help me fix this interchange?

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

zedprime posted:

Guys I had a slight panic attack when faced with the infinite prospects of the first highway connections. Can anyone help me fix this interchange?

:gas:

Penultimatum
Apr 2, 2010

Fintilgin posted:

EDIT: Probably adjust the profit down a bit as I think the current idea is that you get a bunch of extra money from them but they run out quick

So the economics of mining and oil are just like in real life? :v:
I do agree it depletes too quickly, though. That's a pretty easy fix, someone just has to find the number that determines resource extraction rate and mess with it until it's balanced.

On the topic of resource industries, it'd be neat if you had a separate zone for resource production buildings so you could get your farm fields etc. on top of the resource and the processing buildings elsewhere. It seems weird to me that CiMs will do stuff like build furniture factories on top of land that could be used for growing trees. You could also make it so that the production industry zone can extend farther away from the road, enabling larger lot sizes and therefore pretty fields and tree farms.

There should also really be higher-tech versions of the resource industries to make use of your educated CiMs too. Maybe you'd offset it by having the upgraded buildings consume more resources. I'll admit I really just want to see vertical farming skyscrapers as the top-tier buildings, though.
The game could really do with modeling the difference between air and ground / water pollution too. It feels weird having my fire and smoke factories less than half a block away from my elementary school with no ill effects.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

zedprime posted:

looks fine to me, OP.

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat

zedprime posted:

nope, it's perfect

The Mantis
Jul 19, 2004

what is yall sayin?

zedprime posted:

See the central loops in the foreground and far background? Elevated triangle interchange between them and the bridge.

Then :gas:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Not enough roundabouts.

kinnas
Jan 28, 2008
The Case of Martin Heidegger, Philosopher and Nazi Part 2: The Cover-up
Another pipe dream wish-someone-modded-that thought - take something like a three month period in game and use it for rush hour simulation. First month citizens go to work, second month old people hang out in parks and kids come home from school and third month people swarm back home from work. Essentially having four simulated workdays in an ingame year.
Month might be too long or too short, should be some sensible time period based on traffic movement speed in game.

Also wishing for a culture layer to the simulation, people going to theaters and sports games and restaurants and art shows and to the pub after work. Artists moving into abandoned buildings and the whole gentrification process. Strong squatting rights as a district policy. That would be some sweet DLC.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Is there any way to design a realistic American town where people can't walk anywhere at all without risking being hit by a car?

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

smoobles posted:

That gives me an idea actually. Has anyone tried multiple towns on a map that are linked only by trains?

I made a district that was only accessible by train, and then added an airport and subway connections later. It works, but cars use the subway, so I dunno. Seemed like it was easier to get commercial demand there than residential, so lots of commuter jobs and low population, but it eventually came around.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

kinnas posted:

Waiting for a mod that lets you set up a playlist of lookup tables so you can have your color correction fade between bright mornings and sunset oranges and midnight blues. Maybe summer greens and fall reds?

Or just oscillate between 80s future neon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfbdxS9o4j0

Add nuke disasters please

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Someone who is a good artist should make a giant human shaped city, university in the head, healthcare center in heart, river flowing from mouth to dick/rear end with sewage drains. All the roads would match where arteries go.

Jamsque
May 31, 2009
I'd like to see resource depletion for oil and ore slow down too, and I also think the 'reach' of those industry buildings should expand. I made an oil district and it was really annoying to have to micromanage roads to carpet the entire field with zones, especially given that you can't build roads with the resources overlay turned on. Apparently in the world of Skylines oil wells can only be drilled straight down and oil fields are all compartmentalized. I feel like I should be able to plop down a few city blocks of oil industry in the middle of a field and have them slowly drink the whole milkshake dry over the course a few in-game years. Same goes for mines, tunnels can go sideways too! Maybe balance it by making water pipes more expensive in active mining/oil zones, and subway tunnels forbidden? I actually think the water pipes mechanic in this game is pretty boring aside from poop plume management.

On the topic of industry, gently caress industry. I had a city of 120,000 cims distributed over two medium urban centers and one huge one with no traffic problems whatsoever. I had three small non-specialized industrial areas in different corners of the map and I finally decided to lay out some large agriculture and forestry zones along one edge of my play area, and holy poo poo do I ever regret it. It generates an absolutely ungodly amount of traffic, most of which is dead set on driving halfway across the map to my one overloaded cargo port instead of using the train terminal I put right in between the forestry and the farms. I panic-rebuilt almost all of the highway junctions between that area and my cargo port, which had the net result of making that stretch of highway gently caress ugly and moving the traffic jam slightly closer to the cargo port. If I watch the queue for the port I can see vehicles popping out of existence far more frequently than actually making it to the port. If the cargo port is going to be such a high priority for industrial traffic then it needs to be changed to not have a two-way access road and have more than one entrance, cargo ports in real life can process more than one truck at a time.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

So I though I was a real clever dick by building a railway down the middle of my elevated intracity highway, there is just enough space to fit it snugly between the pillars.

Unfortunately, the sheer volume of trains trying to use it has effectively separated one side of my city from the other via an endless stream of high-speed murdertrains blocking all of the level crossings 100% of the time. As the highway runs through the entire city, this means that one side is cut off from the other.

This would be merely annoying if not for the fact that my cemeteries are all in a nice neat square on one side of the tracks. Quite central for future expansion plans, but completely inaccessible to the majority of the population as of this moment. I have about five hundred corpses piled up and people are starting to move out.

So it looks like that whole plan to take pressure off the highway by adding a high capacity rail line to it, actually just made the traffic problems about 1000 times worse. Because people keep getting off one side of the highway then parking in front of the level crossing to cross to the other side of the city, which they never do because the trains never stop.

Back to the drawing board.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

StarMinstrel posted:

Keep in mind 3DS max is super old and crash prone and is a piece of poo poo (I model everything with it) I want to throw out of my house. Save often.

there's a 2015 version out and 2016 is due out by the end of summer. i use it for 8 hours a day and it's crashed maybe twice in the last 3 months. maybe it's time you updated.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

zedprime posted:

OK I gave up on improving that interchange because I heard you can alleviate traffic through other means. I made an early rail station to try and take some truck load off the road.

I heard you should avoid level crossings? I think I managed to...

Yeah, that seems to check out being above the road. How about this down stream, does it count as level if they are both 100 feet in the air?

Perfect!

Enos Shenk
Nov 3, 2011

I published my Plymouth Arcology on the Workshop, people seem to dig it. It's set so it has an assload of worker slots, just like a proper monolithic hellhole of single-building industrial zone should.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=409449047

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Rollercoaster Tycoon sequel confirmed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deus Rex
Mar 5, 2005

zedprime posted:

OK I gave up on improving that interchange because I heard you can alleviate traffic through other means. I made an early rail station to try and take some truck load off the road.

I heard you should avoid level crossings? I think I managed to...

Yeah, that seems to check out being above the road. How about this down stream, does it count as level if they are both 100 feet in the air?

Perfect!

*kissing my fingers like an Italian stereotype guy* molto bene