Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
Hm alright that's a nice printer. Horking does have a point that I can probably print at work, although that makes me a little uncomfortable as ink and paper aren't free. Not a pressing matter though. I do use bookmarks and stuff right now, and I created a recipes folder in my email for in the meantime. I've heard good things about Evernote. I'll have to try that sometime.

I'd like online shopping because the grocery store is about my least favorite place, but there are places cheaper than Safeway here. When we're going for a bargain (which is almost always now), but not Costco levels of busy 24 hours a days like our really bargain place (really), then I do like Safeway. Unfortunately they don't deliver in this city yet. The only place that does online ordering is Raleys, and their prices are obscene unfortunately.

Anyway to avoid going off on too much of a tangent, the main reason this meal planner was chosen was because it creates meals based on a set amount of calories, protein, fat, and carbs. Quantum I did check out that meal planner, and I was hopeful until I saw that it doesn't have anything beyond low calorie meals. As far as I could tell it doesn't let me say hey I want X calories, I have this food, put together a meal for me. That would be ideal though and either one could probably implement that fairly easily.

Regarding my ability to finish, well I've put together some pretty cool (to me) software lately that's nearly finished (should be done tonight), and I've got some passive income on a business I finished, so that's not always the case. I've got a couple more projects in the work as well. Sometimes I leave things partially undone like many people I imagine, but it's not like I have some innate inability to not finish things.

Anyway super tired the baby cried for a few hours last night and that's becoming common. I'm concerned he may have colic (I did as a baby) but it's too early to say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Knyteguy posted:

Hm alright that's a nice printer. Horking does have a point that I can probably print at work, although that makes me a little uncomfortable as ink and paper aren't free. Not a pressing matter though. I do use bookmarks and stuff right now, and I created a recipes folder in my email for in the meantime. I've heard good things about Evernote. I'll have to try that sometime.
Maybe ask your boss... I'm explicitly allowed to do *some* printing, but not 100 invitations in color on company cardstock for a birthday party (this was covered in a wonderful ethics training yesterday).

Knyteguy posted:

Anyway super tired the baby cried for a few hours last night and that's becoming common. I'm concerned he may have colic (I did as a baby) but it's too early to say.
That sounds horrible. Thanks for reassuring me I don't want kids :)

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

SiGmA_X posted:

That sounds horrible. Thanks for reassuring me I don't want kids :)

Meh it's kind of difficult, but it's hard to worry too much about the couple of negatives when we get a rare smile or hell even when he just looks at me:

Plus he stops crying almost every time I hold him, and he doesn't cry when I change him... my wife has it harder than me for sure.

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Mar 14, 2015

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Knyteguy posted:

Meh it's kind of difficult, but it's hard to worry too much about the couple of negatives when we get a rare smile or hell even when he just looks at me:

Plus he stops crying almost every time I hold him, and he doesn't cry when I change him... my wife has it harder than me for sure.
It must be different being its your own son. Just curious, did you feel that way about kids before having your own?

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

SiGmA_X posted:

It must be different being its your own son. Just curious, did you feel that way about kids before having your own?

Oh it is definitely different. For me at least. Nah I've never been much of a kid guy, especially not a baby guy. I'm finding it to be pretty great though. Where before I used to get all irritated if a baby was crying, now I just find it funny and want to fix whatever he's crying about.

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة
As someone who really did not want kids and then changed her mind (barely), it's completely different when it's your own baby. That first smile from your own baby stops your heart like the first time you ever had a crush and they smiled at you or looked in your direction.

Anyway, we should maybe focus on this?

Bugamol posted:

You completely dodged the question of "what happened to the weeks worth of food you've been claiming is in your refrigerator?".

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

An increase in crying generally occurs in all kids, (starting around 2 weeks) peaking at about 6-8 weeks, and then starting to level off and decrease after that.

It seems hard but if you can get through the first three months you can do anything!

Just take it one day at a time!

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Quantum Finger posted:

As someone who really did not want kids and then changed her mind (barely), it's completely different when it's your own baby. That first smile from your own baby stops your heart like the first time you ever had a crush and they smiled at you or looked in your direction.

Anyway, we should maybe focus on this?

Yep I also barely changed my mind.

As far as the frozen food we already made - we'll eat that as needed and just delete a dinner from the meal plan, while trying to match the calories closely enough.

I actually am thinking of switching services though. The meals that eatthismuch.com is giving us aren't as quick as they say. Like yea if you buy more expensive pre-smoked salmon it will take less than 5 minutes, but we have to cook it.

sheri posted:

An increase in crying generally occurs in all kids, (starting around 2 weeks) peaking at about 6-8 weeks, and then starting to level off and decrease after that.

It seems hard but if you can get through the first three months you can do anything!

Just take it one day at a time!

Alright thanks. He's been pretty fussy, but all-in-all it's been pretty OK so far. He just started cooing I guess but I haven't heard it yet.

Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006

Knyteguy posted:

As far as the frozen food we already made - we'll eat that as needed and just delete a dinner from the meal plan, while trying to match the calories closely enough.

Buying food, freezing it, and letting it go to waste is bad with money. Obviously you know this, but you should have at least cleared out your pre-planned prepared meals before starting a meal planner. This seems like a weird oversight to me, but it's probably not a huge issue.

Honestly though, as someone who struggles with grocery budget every month and who has tried a few online meal planners (even eatthismuch) there is no easy solution. Good for you, good tasting meals take time. Either preparing a bunch on a weekend and freezing it, buying exorbitantly overpriced prepared meals (which aren't great for you even the goods ones), or making dinner each night... You're going to spend the time/money somewhere. For us it came down to splitting the workload (alternating who cooks/does dishes each night) and having some simple meals lined up for when we're lazy.

It feels like food is weirdly analogous to budgeting for you.

Step 1: Have great idea about how you're going to save a bunch of time/money (crock pot, frozen meals, meal planner)
Step 2: Show small success in the short term
Step 3: Say you've got everything under control, don't need help anymore
Step 4: Get lazy, bored, whatever and start slipping
Step 5: Throw money at problem
Step 6: Have great idea about how you're going to save a bunch of time/money (crock pot, frozen meals, meal planner)

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Bugamol posted:

Buying food, freezing it, and letting it go to waste is bad with money. Obviously you know this, but you should have at least cleared out your pre-planned prepared meals before starting a meal planner. This seems like a weird oversight to me, but it's probably not a huge issue.

Honestly though, as someone who struggles with grocery budget every month and who has tried a few online meal planners (even eatthismuch) there is no easy solution. Good for you, good tasting meals take time. Either preparing a bunch on a weekend and freezing it, buying exorbitantly overpriced prepared meals (which aren't great for you even the goods ones), or making dinner each night... You're going to spend the time/money somewhere. For us it came down to splitting the workload (alternating who cooks/does dishes each night) and having some simple meals lined up for when we're lazy.

It feels like food is weirdly analogous to budgeting for you.

Step 1: Have great idea about how you're going to save a bunch of time/money (crock pot, frozen meals, meal planner)
Step 2: Show small success in the short term
Step 3: Say you've got everything under control, don't need help anymore
Step 4: Get lazy, bored, whatever and start slipping
Step 5: Throw money at problem
Step 6: Have great idea about how you're going to save a bunch of time/money (crock pot, frozen meals, meal planner)

Truthfully in the recent past I was most successful for both grocery financials and health when I was eating rice and beans for that month and a half, on top of exercising every day with my wife. I was down like 30 lbs compared to where I'm at now, and it wasn't even something I thought about all the time. I just did it. The next thing I need to do really is to cut out beer. That just sucks because I like beer. Either that or start burning an extra 500+ calories a day on top of sticking to a meal plan. Or perhaps limiting the days that I do drink beer to maybe only Friday or Saturday. Anyway I know this might be getting beyond the scope of the thread a little bit.

We've had some pretty successful financial months though, getting beyond the short term I think.

I just reconciled YNAB to the bank so the data is up to date.

So every month since December has been a positive month, obviously with January and February being the really good ones so far. Obviously March isn't over, but most of our bills have come out at least so the net worth graph is getting close to how it will look.

Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006
What is in your assets calculation? Is the HSA in there still? Have you paid the hospital bills yet?

I see debt relatively flat with assets growing. Assuming assets growth = cash on hand, then I agree you're doing pretty well.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Bugamol posted:

What is in your assets calculation? Is the HSA in there still? Have you paid the hospital bills yet?

I see debt relatively flat with assets growing. Assuming assets growth = cash on hand, then I agree you're doing pretty well.

The HSA is in there yes. We haven't gotten the prego bill yet so we'll see where that ends up. According to the hospital estimations we should have just enough to cover everything. Which is cool because I thought we were going further into debt for pretty much the whole time.

Asset growth is mostly cash on hand yes. My wife's paycheck was only like $113 after the HSA contribution this month, so progress even lower than it would have been normally by a few $100. Mid April or so we should start to see regular checks, offset by whatever my sister plans to charge us for day care which may be free as an exchange babysitting service.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
How much did the birth cost?

Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006
This is personally why I wouldn't count the HSA in your "net worth". 1. You can only use it on medical bills it's not liquid. 2. You're about to spend $4000-$5000 of it and shoot your net worth back up to ~($10,000).

Staying flat over three months while having a baby is probably considered good with money overall though.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
Y

Bugamol posted:

This is personally why I wouldn't count the HSA in your "net worth". 1. You can only use it on medical bills it's not liquid. 2. You're about to spend $4000-$5000 of it and shoot your net worth back up to ~($10,000).

Staying flat over three months while having a baby is probably considered good with money overall though.
Yeah, I keep my HSA separate because of the same reason you list. I also keep my car assets outside of my networth, as I'm not able to liquidate them because I need a vehicle to drive and they're only worth 3-6k. KG's is worth ($5-7k) iirc, so I wouldn't list it as an asset myself... It's not possible for him to liquidate it, as the negative equity is more than his cash on hand. At least that is how I see it. I know from a pure balance sheet perspective, of course you list it. But I think that misrepresents reality for personal finance purposes.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Bugamol posted:

2. You're about to spend $4000-$5000 of it and shoot your net worth back up to ~($10,000).

For varying definitions of "up"

Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006
Corporate talk to non-finance:

You're going to get a bad guy to your net worth calculation.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Knyteguy posted:

The next thing I need to do really is to cut out beer. That just sucks because I like beer. Either that or start burning an extra 500+ calories a day on top of sticking to a meal plan. Or perhaps limiting the days that I do drink beer to maybe only Friday or Saturday.

If you're drinking over 500 calories a day of beer, that's really unhealthy. That's like 3-4 beers every day. Definitely cut your drinking down for your health and your money.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Inept posted:

If you're drinking over 500 calories a day of beer, that's really unhealthy. That's like 3-4 beers every day. Definitely cut your drinking down for your health and your money.

I don't drink that much; I'm just guessing they're calorie heavy beers (homebrew), but I don't know for sure. 1-2 per day, maybe 3 or 4 on the weekend. Still too much. If I cut out that 1-2 per day and one weekend day that'll be pretty huge I think.

Bugamol posted:

Corporate talk to non-finance:

You're going to get a bad guy to your net worth calculation.

bad guy?

Birth cost: not sure yet. Estimated to be < $5000 after insurance and everything, but we'll see. Car is worth $15,000-$16,000.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Aside from the benefit to your budget and your waistline, going easy on the alcohol (or other substances!) is a pretty good idea when you've got a kid to take care of. You certainly don't strike me as a drunk so please don't think I'm accusing you of such, but I do think it's important to set a good example for your son by practicing appropriate moderation. Sorry if I'm being a busybody by mentioning it.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Third Murderer posted:

Aside from the benefit to your budget and your waistline, going easy on the alcohol (or other substances!) is a pretty good idea when you've got a kid to take care of. You certainly don't strike me as a drunk so please don't think I'm accusing you of such, but I do think it's important to set a good example for your son by practicing appropriate moderation. Sorry if I'm being a busybody by mentioning it.

I appreciate your concern, and I agree my son absolutely needs to learn moderation from me as an example.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Knyteguy posted:

I appreciate your concern, and I agree my son absolutely needs to learn moderation from me as an example.

Or you could be like my family, where every single one of us could be an alcoholic. I find it easier to abstain than drink in moderation, but I can (and do) just have one drink now and then.

Nocheez fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Mar 18, 2015

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Sticking to a diet and drinking beer don't really go together when you're trying to eat <2000 calories a day. Sad, but true.

In general, I think most fitness people say that you can't out-exercise a bad diet. The chances of you working out with enough intensity to offset a few beers a day is pretty low.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

dreesemonkey posted:

Sticking to a diet and drinking beer don't really go together when you're trying to eat <2000 calories a day. Sad, but true.

In general, I think most fitness people say that you can't out-exercise a bad diet. The chances of you working out with enough intensity to offset a few beers a day is pretty low.

You can't with a new born that's for sure. Knyteguy if you're drinking more than 4 beers a week, and even that is an absurdly large amount while on a diet, you won't lose any weight in a healthy way. Otherwise you'll be planning your meals around drinking and that's when it starts to get bad. Like really bad.

Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006
How/Where are you getting these beers? It feels like 11-18 beers per week should show up in your budget somewhere. Is this why you continue to miss on your grocery budget?

Bugamol fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Mar 18, 2015

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Bugamol posted:

How/Where are you getting these beers? It feels like 11-18 beers per week should show up in your budget somewhere. Is this why you continue to miss on your grocery budget?

18 good beers at the cheapest will cost you 20 bucks, which is kind of absurd now that I'm thinking about how much of knyte's budget revolves around alcohol. It should probably be its own line item.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Veskit posted:

18 good beers at the cheapest will cost you 20 bucks, which is kind of absurd now that I'm thinking about how much of knyte's budget revolves around alcohol. It should probably be its own line item.

But Big Flats at Walgreens is only $3.50 for a six-pack, and to me that is still good beer in terms of value :getin:

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Veskit posted:

I line item it out for myself/gf, too. We (I, she could care less as long as I don't negatively comment..) like to see how much we're spending on various things like that. That's why household items has 3 sub-line items, but we budget it as one group.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
I have a homebrewing setup I can brew 5 gallons of beer for about $25-$30 (which is around 50 beers) and a couple hours of time. I haven't been drinking this much beer for very long, just ever since I got my first batch finished (which was actually about 3 gallons).

I have a line item for alcohol, it's $28 a month. However like dreese said Veskit said I'm not going to be able to lose weight drinking this much, so I'll just put a stop to it. I'll just partake only a little at parties and events until I'm at a healthy weight again.

Thanks for helping me figure it out.

Robo Boogie Bot
Sep 4, 2011
Oh boy, I love homebrewing and encouraging others to do it too. But KG, stay out of that thread. The homebrew thread is where :homebrew: was born.

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.

Robo Boogie Bot posted:

Oh boy, I love homebrewing and encouraging others to do it too. But KG, stay out of that thread. The homebrew thread is where :homebrew: was born.

This plus I'm loling at "a couple of hours of time."

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Robo Boogie Bot posted:

Huh I always thought that was about saving money. http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2011/06/03/a-mustachian-microbrewery-is-born/ is where I originally got the idea.

Plus I did brew a batch with a couple hours time. Maybe more like 4 hours or so including bottling.

Robo Boogie Bot
Sep 4, 2011
A few hours is reasonable. If you're extract brewing as KG is, there really isn't that much active prep time. There's no need to do (and will actually taste better without) a full 60 minute boil, by using late additions 20 minutes is often good enough. After you sit and wait for two weeks, spend an hour bottling, then sit and wait a few more weeks to carb.

The time isn't the issue though, plus I'm sure KG isn't neglecting his baby in order the brew. Homebrewing is a rabbit hole of expenses. There's always busy one more gadget that will make you operation complete. And would you look at that, it looks like there's a sale on kegs, and a thermapen..... :homebrew:

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Robo Boogie Bot posted:

A few hours is reasonable. If you're extract brewing as KG is, there really isn't that much active prep time. There's no need to do (and will actually taste better without) a full 60 minute boil, by using late additions 20 minutes is often good enough. After you sit and wait for two weeks, spend an hour bottling, then sit and wait a few more weeks to carb.

The time isn't the issue though, plus I'm sure KG isn't neglecting his baby in order the brew. Homebrewing is a rabbit hole of expenses. There's always busy one more gadget that will make you operation complete. And would you look at that, it looks like there's a sale on kegs, and a thermapen..... :homebrew:

Haha alright fair enough. I'll have to look into it again when we pay off the car and just put a hold on the drinking like I stated earlier. It's not like buckets expire or something. Plus I think I'd rather wait until I can keg it anyway. Maybe I'll make rootbeer or cream soda in the meantime since my wife really likes those too.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Knyteguy posted:

Haha alright fair enough. I'll have to look into it again when we pay off the car and just put a hold on the drinking like I stated earlier. It's not like buckets expire or something. Plus I think I'd rather wait until I can keg it anyway. Maybe I'll make rootbeer or cream soda in the meantime since my wife really likes those too.

I thought you were on a diet. loving drop the hobby for a while poo poo man you're starting to sound super impulsive again.

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

Veskit posted:

I thought you were on a diet. loving drop the hobby for a while poo poo man you're starting to sound super impulsive again.

This is a ridiculous statement. He already owns the equipment, he can do it at home while watching his baby, and the cost of an additional batch is probably about the same as buying beer at a grocery store.

Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006

Droo posted:

This is a ridiculous statement. He already owns the equipment, he can do it at home while watching his baby, and the cost of an additional batch is probably about the same as buying beer at a grocery store.

There is serious irony in the fact that he's spending $10 a month for a nutrition guide / meal planner. While blasting himself with 1000 + liquid calories a day. It's just sometimes either he doesn't think things through thoroughly or his stories just don't line up.

I did X for Y it's going to be great! Completely doesn't talk about Z which is counter to Y.

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

Bugamol posted:

There is serious irony in the fact that he's spending $10 a month for a nutrition guide / meal planner. While blasting himself with 1000 + liquid calories a day. It's just sometimes either he doesn't think things through thoroughly or his stories just don't line up.

He says he drinks 1-2 beers a day during the week, and 3-4 on weekends. Even 4 pints of beer doesn't add up to "1000 + liquid calories a day" so I'm not sure where you are getting that number from.

Also, just because you want to keep drinking alcohol doesn't mean you aren't allowed to improve other aspects of your diet to try and improve overall health.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Bugamol posted:

I did X for Y it's going to be great! Completely doesn't talk about Z which is counter to Y.

I left room in the "calorie budget" for some beer though. I'm not drinking 1000 liquid calories a day not even close. I had one beer yesterday at around 6% abv... which is likely 150-250 calories. Very likely closer to 150.

Plus I haven't spent any money for that website, and we're actually going to cancel before it costs anything. It's a little too hard with the baby. I'll try another plan as that YLLS guide earlier says how to count calories for prepared meals, which was the biggest reason I stopped counting calories before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006

Droo posted:

He says he drinks 1-2 beers a day during the week, and 3-4 on weekends. Even 4 pints of beer doesn't add up to "1000 + liquid calories a day" so I'm not sure where you are getting that number from.

Also, just because you want to keep drinking alcohol doesn't mean you aren't allowed to improve other aspects of your diet to try and improve overall health.

His justification for getting the meal planner was it told him how many calories to eat. It seems completely counter productive to drink 1-2 beers each day during the week and 3-4 on weekends (probably 200-300 calories each here since they're home brewed).

I also made a slight assumption that he drinks soda/energy drinks/not-water liquid throughout the day as well. This could be wrong. He could easily be drinking 1000+ liquid calories each day.

EDIT: Saw reply. Do you still drink energy drinks, coffee with flavored creamer, etc.?

• Locked thread