Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

BadLlama posted:

Hey is there any way I can get that Japanese premium cruiser that has like 8 torpedo bays? I am sure its nothing beyond a gimmick but that gimmick looks hilarious.

Not until they give us a piaster stipend, only alpha testers got a small amount of them to spend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Lol.i halbve already saod i inferno circstances wanttpgback
I'm kind of sad that the Kita's a premium, but given the size of the maps in this game, I'm also happy I won't have to dodge 4 Kitas on both teams every game.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

NTRabbit posted:

I prefer smaller numbers of good torps as found on Japanese ships to larger numbers of poo poo torps as found on American ships. Do you want me to switch to proper English for the whole sentence fragment now as well?

Less good and useless poo poo are not actually interchangeable concepts, I'm afraid.

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

I'm kind of sad that the Kita's a premium, but given the size of the maps in this game, I'm also happy I won't have to dodge 4 Kitas on both teams every game.

Hypothetically, were I to have seen a tier ten version of it with 20 km torps, I'm unnaturally confident saying it would have sucked massively and promoted unfun degenerate gameplay.

xthetenth fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Mar 17, 2015

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

NTRabbit posted:

Not until they give us a piaster stipend, only alpha testers got a small amount of them to spend

http://forum.worldofwarships.com/index.php?/topic/19255-a-word-on-piasters/

They're working on it, I guess.

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Hey baby I think we Havel lot in common
FYI I'm just jealous because I am a peasant who is waiting for his WOWS Beta application to be 'Processed' and I do not intend on threadshitting beyond that above post.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

xthetenth posted:

Less good and useless poo poo are not actually interchangeable concepts, I'm afraid.

Hypothetically, were I to have seen a tier ten version of it with 20 km torps, I'm unnaturally confident saying it would have sucked massively and promoted unfun degenerate gameplay.

It's not surprising, since they did in Navy Field, too. It was kind of amusing being the rear end in a top hat in the Kita, and it was sweet sweet joy to one-shot one in your battleship, but literally every game had between 2-4 Kitas.

Per side.

On a map with no islands ( or one tiny one in the center ). :suicide:

Many minutes of every game were spent dodging wall after wall of torpedoes, and that's not even counting all the other ships with torpedoes. The islands in World of Warships would mitigate this a lot, but it would still be a sack of festering poo poo.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012
I'm really loving the phoenix. I think I've enjoyed it even more than the St. Louis. A lot of powerful guns with the added torp gimmick is amazing against teams of terrible, terrible pubbies.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Wasn't the first post after NTRabbirs first post "Don't argue with NTRabbit"

?

Artless Meat
Apr 7, 2008

KaiserSchnitzel posted:

tank talk here

I like tanks. Do you like tanks? Tanks are cool. You know what's great? Shooting tanks. Sometimes we call them tonks because that's code for tanks. As in we will say: stronk tonk. What's great about tanks is that you can literally talk about them anywhere, and it won't disrupt the flow of conversation in any sense whatsoever.

So do you like tonks? I can't wait to get home to play tonks with some other special people in my life on the internet.

Some tanks are even amphibious!

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Fart Car '97 posted:

?

Yes but we all have learning disabilities.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

BadLlama posted:

Yes but we all have learning disabilities.

Haha, it's true, I do!

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Fart Car '97 posted:

?
Yeah that was me.

And a few pages later I'm arguing with NTRabbit.

:negative:

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

I wonder when the game's going to go into open beta, or release, for that matter? I enjoy playing it, but I don't want to play too much when I know all my neat toys are just going to get taken away.

Probably will have to wait for at least the remaining BBs and CVs to be put in, I believe that's when it will go at least open beta - followed by the Russian tree, then the German tree and finally the British tree.

A lot of the missing ships are supposedly done (and have been in previous testing?) but they are still working on them, so maybe not as long as we'd think.

I want to chill out too on the game, but will probably get hosed on some beta reward because you need to play a fantizillion of games to get that sweet sweet beta tester Motor Launch or whatever. Or they do a mid beta wipe and it doesn't count any of the previously played games, so :shrug:

Keksen
Oct 9, 2012
I'm feeling really stupid asking, but I just got an Omaha and I can't figure out how to make my scout plane do anything else than fly around my ship in a small circle? I swear I've seen other peoples' scouts all over the map. I must have tried about every button on the keyboard now.

E: vv If you can't I guess I can stop searching for the key. What does launching it even do then, though? Increase view range?

Keksen fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Mar 17, 2015

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Keksen posted:

I'm feeling really stupid asking, but I just got an Omaha and I can't figure out how to make my scout plane do anything else than fly around my ship in a small circle? I swear I've seen other peoples' scouts all over the map. I must have tried about every button on the keyboard now.

I didn't think you could control the scout plane from your cruiser?

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
If it's like CVs when you're not in the overhead view you hold down alt and can click on the map/place on your screen to make them fly there.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

It's not, you can't, what you see away from ships is probably the results of a launched plane and sunk ship.

Artless Meat
Apr 7, 2008

Pimpmust posted:

Probably will have to wait for at least the remaining BBs and CVs to be put in, I believe that's when it will go at least open beta - followed by the Russian tree, then the German tree and finally the British tree.

A lot of the missing ships are supposedly done (and have been in previous testing?) but they are still working on them, so maybe not as long as we'd think.

I want to chill out too on the game, but will probably get hosed on some beta reward because you need to play a fantizillion of games to get that sweet sweet beta tester Motor Launch or whatever. Or they do a mid beta wipe and it doesn't count any of the previously played games, so :shrug:

Wait, they changed up the order again? I thought Brits were coming after Russians.

Keksen
Oct 9, 2012

xthetenth posted:

It's not, you can't, what you see away from ships is probably the results of a launched plane and sunk ship.

That makes sense, thanks. Does it increase my view range then or improve vision into smoke screens or something?

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

So a lot of silly alpha testers are apparently mad that the game isn't WW2 boats simulator with combat ranges of 30Km+ how the hell would that be any fun.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Nordick posted:

Yeah that was me.

And a few pages later I'm arguing with NTRabbit.

:negative:

It's way easier just to assume he's poo poo at the game.

Keksen posted:

E: vv If you can't I guess I can stop searching for the key. What does launching it even do then, though? Increase view range?

They just tool around out of control. They increase your view range pretty dramatically.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

BadLlama posted:

So a lot of silly alpha testers are apparently mad that the game isn't WW2 boats simulator with combat ranges of 30Km+ how the hell would that be any fun.
What really gets me is that people expected that in the first place by the company which made WoT and this game essentially being in the same "series" as that game. Like what the hell were they expecting?

vandiar
Jul 19, 2004
The coolest part about this game is when you go to binocs view your engines make the sound similar to the Enterprise in the new Star Trek movies.

Also to echo everyone else the Cleveland is a lot of fun. For the tier 3 commander skill, the cruiser one looks like an active skill. Does that replace the current cruiser AA skill or is it an additional ability?

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Artless Meat posted:

Wait, they changed up the order again? I thought Brits were coming after Russians.

I've read both, so it's probably entirely up to Wargaming to decide if the Wehraboos will pay up more than the stiff upper lip crowd in this instance. Considering they went with *the russian navy* first you can kinda see their priority.

Also why I'm guessing this closed beta phase won't last *that* long, they want money rolling in asap.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Am I crazy for thinking destroyers should have a clear advantage in raw speed? I fully agree that they are kings of mobility and are hard to detect but really all they seem to be right now are smaller harder to hit cruisers with less firepower and far less hit points but with a better ability to ambush. I dunno I just think they should be have more distinction.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

vandiar posted:

Also to echo everyone else the Cleveland is a lot of fun. For the tier 3 commander skill, the cruiser one looks like an active skill. Does that replace the current cruiser AA skill or is it an additional ability?
It enhances the existing skill.

BadLlama posted:

There are a fairly large number of players who still loving think that battleships are underpowered. I think it's between "most wargaming players are idiots" and probably some kantai collection poo poo.

SuperSix
Aug 22, 2012

BadLlama posted:

Am I crazy for thinking destroyers should have a clear advantage in raw speed? I fully agree that they are kings of mobility and are hard to detect but really all they seem to be right now are smaller harder to hit cruisers with less firepower and far less hit points but with a better ability to ambush. I dunno I just think they should be have more distinction.

It's hard to have even more speed and be realistic. For example the Farragut in real life had around 36 knots at half speed.

More realistic I think is if they upgraded the concealment to balance it out, at least to have the detection range at something like 4-5k instead of 6.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

First game out with the Clemens, bone stock:

Ran toward a large central island and hid behind it, watching my mini-map. Watched until the enemy team was coming around the other side, and then moved in to engage, using the small islands and smoke as cover. Launched some torps at a Phoenix at the edge of my range, no hits.

Dodged the Phoenix, worked in close to a Fuso that was distracted by another BB. I set him on fire with my guns, then hit him with somewhere between 5-8 torpedoes, doing a shitload of damage in the process. Then I set him on fire again, and a capital ship finished him off after I died.

How terrible.

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

First game out with the Clemens, bone stock:

Ran toward a large central island and hid behind it, watching my mini-map. Watched until the enemy team was coming around the other side, and then moved in to engage, using the small islands and smoke as cover. Launched some torps at a Phoenix at the edge of my range, no hits.

Dodged the Phoenix, worked in close to a Fuso that was distracted by another BB. I set him on fire with my guns, then hit him with somewhere between 5-8 torpedoes, doing a shitload of damage in the process. Then I set him on fire again, and a capital ship finished him off after I died.

How terrible.

What!? You didn't just solo both of them and make it out unscathed? Crap ship for sure!

SuperSix
Aug 22, 2012

deathbagel posted:

What!? You didn't just solo both of them and make it out unscathed? Crap ship for sure!

He didn't follow the doctrine of going 1v1 vs a battleship and expecting to win

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

BadLlama posted:

Those must be the stupid alpha testers that I never associated with.. not one single person I know from alpha would ever say that and they mostly have positive things to say about the game so far. Are these idiots posting on the brown sea forums?

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

demonR6 posted:

Those must be the stupid alpha testers that I never associated with.. not one single person I know from alpha would ever say that and they mostly have positive things to say about the game so far. Are these idiots posting on the brown sea forums?

http://forum.worldofwarships.com/index.php?/topic/19328-revert-game-to-version-17-and-restart-development-from-there/

I stopped skimming it because I couldn't believe people would willing want the things they say want in a game.

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

BadLlama posted:

http://forum.worldofwarships.com/index.php?/topic/19328-revert-game-to-version-17-and-restart-development-from-there/

I stopped skimming it because I couldn't believe people would willing want the things they say want in a game.

WoTforums posted:

EmpressNero #8
Posted Today, 03:09 AM
Lieutenant Commander

Alpha Tester

quote:

View PostMoksie, on 16 March 2015 - 10:05 PM, said:
*Averts eyes, walks away quickly.

Yeah, walk away you coward. It's people like you who allowed this game to turn into the pile of trash it is now. The state of this game is on your head.

LOL this thread is amazing!

deathbagel fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Mar 17, 2015

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

BadLlama posted:

The OP of that thread is a known idiot from the WoT forums. Fun fact: he once threatened to murder another poster for disliking their favorite anime.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008

LostCosmonaut posted:

The OP of that thread is a known idiot from the WoT forums. Fun fact: he once threatened to murder another poster for disliking their favorite anime.

motherfucker probably doesn't even think escaflowne is the best anime

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys

BadLlama posted:

From what I understand the armor and damage model was more complex in the past builds. There also used to be shallows on the maps where only destroyers could go.

subhelios
May 26, 2013

Unfortunately, there is no such game as 'World of Submarines.'

LostCosmonaut posted:

Why is a he current poster and not a former poster then? Jesus christ Wargaming is bad.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Shallows would be nice, but obviously DDs need an ability that grants go-fast after-images more than anything else.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

SuperSix posted:

He didn't follow the doctrine of going 1v1 vs a battleship and expecting to win

Considering how equal tier battleships and cruisers compare, where even if the cruiser has every advantage in positioning I'd expect a non stupid battleship to win with more than half its health left?

Of course I expect to take on an equal tier battleship one on one. We are in the same matchmaking bracket, and in theory destroyers are supposed to counter battleships. Battleships certainly counter cruisers.

NTRabbit is fairly consistently wrong about most things but it's painfully obvious that the ship classes aren't balanced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

BadLlama posted:

There's a decent contingent of moronic simhard spergs (unlike the friendly well socialized spergs like me) who should really go back to masturbating into Friedman's illustrated design histories because they aren't capable of having fun in a balanced game.

Also destroyers have a huge implicit relative speed buff because everything actually moves many times faster than if says on the tin.

And empressnero is literally not a human and is the worst simhard idiot.

But right now battleships can murder what they want unless driven terribly, and their only real weakness is in map control around tight areas, and people still want things that would directly or indirectly buff them because they have confused reading books with meaningfully engaging with the game mechanics.