Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

moot the hopple posted:

More like Robin you mean. She's the kind that goes on globetrotting treks for holistic medicines or hires quacks to wrap her up in electric blankets.

At least Robin isn't fully Steve Jobs crazy, where he tried to cure cancer with crystals. I just wish Robin would be sensible about medicine all the time, instead of only when she's in Big Trouble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lynch_69
Jan 21, 2001

As a child watching TV in the late eighties/early nineties I'd see fantastically old fossils like George Burns or Bob Hope being mentioned and popping up everywhere. This was pre-internet so I had no idea who these dinosaurs were and why they'd randomly appear in little cameos in movies or talk shows or get referenced in the Simpsons. I didn't get them, I didn't find anything they say remotely funny, but the studio audience went wild whenever they'd show up.

Howard's going to end up like that. None of the kids watching will remotely know or get who this weird curly haired Ichabod crane looking guy was and why he randomly keeps showing up at the Tonight Show 3.0 or whatever. The moms and dads watching, who likely never heard the radio show, will chuckle and nod in recognition at this "controversial" star from the 80s and 90s.

Either that or he'll disappear entirely and make a once in a decade appearance as a talking head on a discovery channel special called The Rise and Fall of American Radio (that no one will ever see).

lynch_69 fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Mar 17, 2015

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

More Primus For Fucks Sake.

EngineerJoe posted:

That kind of wealth is a double edged sword for neurotic celebrities like Stern though.

Jewish comedians seem to last awhile. Carl Reiner, Mel Brooks, Don Rickels, Shelly Berman. These guys are 90+ and still go on shows/podcasts.

Less Claypool fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Mar 17, 2015

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

kylej posted:

I don't think Howard's sentiment was that radio is the only way for someone to be successful or the only legitimate broadcast medium, but more like, before you take a shot at me and my life, you should be more worried about the fact that you're middle-aged and plugging dates for Chuckles and Hee Haws on Joe Rogan's podcast. Howard found a path to be successful, capitalized on it in numerous groundbreaking ways, and at the height of his power parlayed that success into other ventures. I think we all agree that Howard has fallen far from his creative peak, but I also think Ari should be more worried about his own career and less about taking shots at someone who already achieved everything they wanted to achieve.

Yeah, that video was such a desperate attempt to go viral off the heat. Just like how morning zoo guys in the middle of nowhere will try to start a "war" with people. Maybe Ari should have tried dropping the bomb a few times to get noticed, cause just punching up towards Stern isn't a good way to get noticed.

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

AxeManiac posted:

Yeah, that video was such a desperate attempt to go viral off the heat. Just like how morning zoo guys in the middle of nowhere will try to start a "war" with people. Maybe Ari should have tried dropping the bomb a few times to get noticed, cause just punching up towards Stern isn't a good way to get noticed.

I was really hoping for Ari to go on the show and explain the internet to the staff.

Two Kings
Nov 1, 2004

Get the scientists working on the tube technology, immediately.

prefect posted:

If IBM has to put his head in a jar, he'll get them to do that.

The bad news is he'll only be able to communicate via Lotus Notes.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

To Battle posted:

I was really hoping for Ari to go on the show and explain the internet to the staff.

If he wanted to piss Howard off, he should have hired one of the HowardTV dudes who got laid off to work on his youtube channel

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

AxeManiac posted:

Maybe Ari should have tried dropping the bomb a few times to get noticed, cause just punching up towards Stern isn't a good way to get noticed.

"Hit dat bomb!!"

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
I don't agree with the mentality that because Ari isn't richer/more powerful than Howard that his points don't matter. He's right about Howard, the guy is old and out of touch.

Spacemonkey57
Dec 1, 2004

Odddzy posted:

I don't agree with the mentality that because Ari isn't richer/more powerful than Howard that his points don't matter. He's right about Howard, the guy is old and out of touch.

Yeah, well what do you do for a living?

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Odddzy posted:

What point? Howard's old and out of touch... so? If Howard were trying to do reaction videos on YouTube or zany sketch comedy bits I could see the point, but by his own admission he enjoys his hermetic lifestyle where he watches Dawson's Creek and pets blind cats all day. Hell, throughout the Sirius era his main hobbies have been chess and photography. At 41, Howard was "cutting edge" (for his age) in every facet of his life; in his private life he was going to Nine Inch Nails concerts and having cybersex on Prodigy, and professionally he was at his peak.

I just find it amusing that a c-list comedian is calling someone who still does radio in 2015 out of touch. That's like me calling out the ocean for being wet.

I'm far from a diehard Howard defender, I just have a lot more respect for someone who was relevant once and lost it, over someone who was never relevant at all. Joe Rogan is a smart dude, I'm sure he felt the same way.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Odddzy posted:

It's kind of like a blogger at the examiner.com trying to scold Brian Williams on journalism

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

The best thing that could happen is Howard leaves Sirius, starts a podcast at his house, and becomes the most listened podcast in history. Just call it King of ALL media.

Less Claypool fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Mar 17, 2015

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

AxeManiac posted:

It's kind of like a blogger at the examiner.com trying to scold Brian Williams on journalism

I think you're missing the forest because of the trees in front of it. Brian Williams should be scolded but not because of his journalism, but because as a journalist he lied on an event that happened. He should be scolded, the fame/money/job of the other guy next to him doing the scolding shouldn't matter if his points are right.

Howard should be scolded for being out of touch on a fuckload of subjects and saying that if they (the podcasters) aren't doing like he is (broadcasting), they're doing it wrong. If his reasoning worked we would all be multi-millionnaires banging our trophy wives back in our Florida home. His ad-hominem directed at Ari is what I resent and it's some of the most blatant ''I'll pretend I don't give a gently caress although i'm going to talk about you for twenty minutes''.

''You're a comedian at 41 years old and I've never heard of you, therefore you're poo poo!'' is just about as sane an argument as me telling you I make ONE GRAAAND an hour so you can all suck my wetwiped(TM) rear end.

Odddzy fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Mar 17, 2015

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

kylej posted:

What point? Howard's old and out of touch... so? If Howard were trying to do reaction videos on YouTube or zany sketch comedy bits I could see the point, but by his own admission he enjoys his hermetic lifestyle where he watches Dawson's Creek and pets blind cats all day. Hell, throughout the Sirius era his main hobbies have been chess and photography. At 41, Howard was "cutting edge" (for his age) in every facet of his life; in his private life he was going to Nine Inch Nails concerts and having cybersex on Prodigy, and professionally he was at his peak.

Good thing he decided to take it easy and cut down the edginess when he was finally uncensored for the first time in his career. And that he was now charging people for the privilege of that.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I wouldn't say Howard's at his career peak.

It's more like a noine.

Sasquatch!
Nov 18, 2000

Can someone link me to some clips of this Ari / Howard back-and-forth? Looking them up on Google/youtube isn't helping.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
If anyone's successful researching that request, I'd also like to know more about clips of the fight between Muhammad Ali and a speck of dirt he had never noticed before the speck of dirt got in his eye, thanks in advance

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends
I agree at least with Howard's sentiment that there was way too many podcasts as it is and starting a career via that medium without building a fanbase first is akin to pissing in the ocean. Joe Rogan, Adam Carolla, Marc Maron, they all had loyal followings before they were "successful" in podcasting, and even then, as Howard says, can any among them say they wouldn't rather be backed by a major network of some sort in primetime, assuming they were allowed the same degree of creative freedom?

Howard's path isn't "the only way", but he's right in that it's a great way (if anybody could reasonably mimic it in this day and age, that is) to become a famous millionaire reaching the most possible people worldwide. A guy who waited until he was 30 to get on stage and now hosts a podcast reaching LITERALLY thousands definitely has no place telling Howard how to do anything, reasonably. This doesn't make his criticisms immediately invalid, of course, but I fully understand Stern's outrage.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.

Advice posted:

I wholeheartedly agree with this. Howard is definitely jaded from his time in the industry and has a "gently caress you, got mine" attitude about everything. A man who basically fell rear end backwards into hundreds of millions of dollars by farting should probably be doing more to support emerging media but he seems to really think terrestrial radio is still the metric to measure by when the current components are, what, Morning Zoos and Fox News?
Are you making GBS threads me? Howard Stern has been off the chain for 30 years. The gap between him and anyone else was so massive, I am not even sure the correct metaphor (I tried to think of some but none did it justice). The gap between Howard and the 2nd best person at morning radio is bigger than the talent gap between the top 2 people in probably any other entertainment medium in history. It would be like if he was LeBron James and the next best person was some 5'10 college point guard on a D-3 school. Hell, he didn't even have a real rival. Letterman had Leno, Biggie had Tupac, Pacino had DeNiro, Stone Cold had The Rock, etc etc, Howard was so far ahead of 2nd place no one even bothered seriously saying there was a debate. All of his rivals are "pretend" rivals. Name any other entertainer in any field who no one could even create a pretend rivalry that seemed realistic. Imus? Please.

Ribsauce fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Mar 17, 2015

CortezFantastic
Aug 10, 2003

I SEE DEMONS
I don't understand the age criticisms coming Ari's way because he decided to take his life a different (more risky) path. It literally doesn't matter what age he is because in comedy, what is good sells. You don't tell someone who picked up a programming language at 40 and is still grinding at it at 50 they don't know poo poo for coding. Rodney Dangerfield started in his 40s. Dean Martin was a no name lounge singer until his 40s.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
This is one of those dumb things where people say you can't criticize a football coach unless you actually coach football.

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

Sasquatch! posted:

Can someone link me to some clips of this Ari / Howard back-and-forth? Looking them up on Google/youtube isn't helping.

Edit - Here is the whole thing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xklqhVcecpM

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Crotch Bat posted:

This is one of those dumb things where people say you can't criticize a football coach unless you actually coach football.

I looked up "Argument from authority" in Wikipedia, which led me to "Credentialism", which led me to "Dago dazzler". :staredog:

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

prefect posted:

I looked up "Argument from authority" in Wikipedia, which led me to "Credentialism", which led me to "Dago dazzler". :staredog:

We used to live in a hilariously racist world. Now everyone's mad and depressed about it.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
*talks back to dude criticizing him*

"Oh yeah? well what did you do in life? I never heard of you, that means you SUCK.

I make millions bitch, I'm rich and you're not therefore listen to what I have to say and shut up, you're points are invalid.

What's that Robin? You say something? Did you ever hear about this clown here? I never have, this guy is a joke!"

Repeat ad nauseum for twenty minutes and let screened callers kiss your rear end afterwards.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
That's probably the coolest thing about having a radio show, you just talk to people and don't care about what they comment back or tweet to you about.

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

Odddzy posted:

*talks back to dude criticizing him*

"Oh yeah? well what did you do in life? I never heard of you, that means you SUCK.

I make millions bitch, I'm rich and you're not therefore listen to what I have to say and shut up, you're points are invalid.

What's that Robin? You say something? Did you ever hear about this clown here? I never have, this guy is a joke!"

Repeat ad nauseum for twenty minutes and let screened callers kiss your rear end afterwards.

*posts the same point in the thread ad nauseum, kisses Ari Shaffir's rear end*

Am I doing this right?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Former Human posted:

Am I doing this right?

I don't know who Ari Shaffir is either, but it doesn't change the fact that Howard didn't know what the gently caress he was talking about here.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Former Human posted:

Am I doing this right?

Not really, you're supposed to poo poo on Howard! He's old!

Soft Shell Crab
Apr 12, 2006

I, like Howard, still don't really know who Ari Shaffir is. I think Howard is still great. I think Howard was pretty badly off here. Is this good?

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

The first thing I'd do if I didn't really know much about podcasts is call Jeff Schick.

lynch_69
Jan 21, 2001

Howard's the kind of guy who pays absurd sums of money for gold plated HDMI cables because his tech guy convinced him that's the only way to get proper modulation.

Anyone remember a few years back when they were discussing smart phones. Howard was looking to upgrade from his Palm Treo and techno beaver baba booey was talking up this new fangled BlackBerry phone. SIM cards. Jeff Schick. Lotus Notes.

Spacemonkey57
Dec 1, 2004

lynch_69 posted:

Howard's the kind of guy who pays absurd sums of money for gold plated HDMI cables because his tech guy convinced him that's the only way to get proper modulation.

Anyone remember a few years back when they were discussing smart phones. Howard was looking to upgrade from his Palm Treo and techno beaver baba booey was talking up this new fangled BlackBerry phone. SIM cards. Jeff Schick. Lotus Notes.

That was the worst part of the show ever that wasn't about cats or agt.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"

lynch_69 posted:

As a child watching TV in the late eighties/early nineties I'd see fantastically old fossils like George Burns or Bob Hope being mentioned and popping up everywhere. This was pre-internet so I had no idea who these dinosaurs were and why they'd randomly appear in little cameos in movies or talk shows or get referenced in the Simpsons. I didn't get them, I didn't find anything they say remotely funny, but the studio audience went wild whenever they'd show up.

I think this is a great point. I remeber first really getting into Howard during the OJ trial, and hearing some of the songs they played made my jaw drop. A kid growing up today with podcasts would have no sense of a shock jock and that moment of "did he just say that?!" I love Howard, but I think him walking away at the end of his last contract would have been leaving on a high note, or at least not on the sharp decent he's on now.

Old black OJ killed his white wife..

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

The only thing I really hate about Howard in this whole ordeal is how absolutely full of poo poo he is when he yells "I understand everything about podcasts!"

I can't make up my mind if he truly believes this or not. As in, he clearly doesn't know poo poo about it but is he just making GBS threads on a it because it's a competitor medium or does he truly think he understands it?

beep by grandpa fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Mar 18, 2015

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

Dr.Caligari posted:

I think this is a great point. I remeber first really getting into Howard during the OJ trial, and hearing some of the songs they played made my jaw drop. A kid growing up today with podcasts would have no sense of a shock jock and that moment of "did he just say that?!" I love Howard, but I think him walking away at the end of his last contract would have been leaving on a high note, or at least not on the sharp decent he's on now.

Old black OJ killed his white wife..

I listened to the entire Todd Packer OJ material over the past year, and a lot of that, particularly Billy West and Gilbert Gottfried, still makes me howl with laughter. The concept of truly shocking material being found on neutered terrestrial radio stations is gone today, but understanding the context, a lot of those broadcasts are still really really funny. I still see OJ in The Naked Gun and hear Gilbert yelling "Well hello dere!"

beep by grandpa posted:

I can't make up my mind if he truly believes this or not. As in, he clearly doesn't know poo poo about it but is he just making GBS threads on a it because it's a competitor medium or does he truly think he understands it?

In my opinion, yes and yes. I've said it before, but I don't get how people expected Howard to endorse other people's podcasts. He sells a product. The more time spent listening to Tom Leykis or Adam Corolla is less time being spent listening to Howard Stern and SiriusXM. I imagine he also probably does think it's all lonely dudes sitting in their basements talking into a $20 microphone instead of professionals in a studio with an actual operating budget.

Coheed and Camembert fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Mar 18, 2015

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

He would be more open to it if he knew what you could really do with technology. Look at Anthony Cumia. The dude has a legit studio and is doing more of a radio show than a podcast, with a decent following from O and A, from his house.

Though I do agree, Howard likes making money and having a boss, can't really blame him for that.

Less Claypool fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Mar 18, 2015

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Riosan posted:

I imagine he also probably does think it's all lonely dudes sitting in their basements talking into a $20 microphone instead of professionals in a studio with an actual operating budget.

In all fairness, "lonely dudes in their basements" accurately describes 99% of all podcasts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Irish Joe posted:

In all fairness, "lonely dudes in their basements" accurately describes 99% of all podcasts.

Naw, sometimes they know other podcasters who used to be famous and talk on their shows.