Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Enos Shenk posted:

I published my Plymouth Arcology on the Workshop, people seem to dig it. It's set so it has an assload of worker slots, just like a proper monolithic hellhole of single-building industrial zone should.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=409449047

Oooooohhh man, I can't wait to see how this impacts traffic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG
I wish I could be a fly on the wall in the EA office when they found out about this game's release.

Airstream Driver
May 6, 2009

You're never going to get power lines over that thing.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Enigma89 posted:

I wish I could be a fly on the wall in the EA office when they found out about this game's release.

Probably met with a shrug and they moved on to the next agenda item, deciding how many millions the next Sims DLC will make or if this year's Madden will reach a billion in sales.

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

So I've got a traffic issue that us bringing my city to its knees.

Had some traffic issues with this highway connection I hadn't looked at for some time:

For some reason they all just wanted to turn around and go the way they came. So I built them a little loop, didn't work.

After some tinkering some of them even started to use this ramp to get back onto the highway and go back.

And once I deleted that they'd drive all the way to the neighbouring industrial district and use this to turn around, even though my highways are a big loop and they could just keep going.

Any suggestions?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

OwlFancier posted:

So I though I was a real clever dick by building a railway down the middle of my elevated intracity highway, there is just enough space to fit it snugly between the pillars.

Unfortunately, the sheer volume of trains trying to use it has effectively separated one side of my city from the other via an endless stream of high-speed murdertrains blocking all of the level crossings 100% of the time. As the highway runs through the entire city, this means that one side is cut off from the other.

This would be merely annoying if not for the fact that my cemeteries are all in a nice neat square on one side of the tracks. Quite central for future expansion plans, but completely inaccessible to the majority of the population as of this moment. I have about five hundred corpses piled up and people are starting to move out.

So it looks like that whole plan to take pressure off the highway by adding a high capacity rail line to it, actually just made the traffic problems about 1000 times worse. Because people keep getting off one side of the highway then parking in front of the level crossing to cross to the other side of the city, which they never do because the trains never stop.

Back to the drawing board.

Have you tried elevating the train tracks? You know so that people can drive underneath them?

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Airstream Driver posted:

You're never going to get power lines over that thing.

IIRC, you can raise/lower power lines with page-up/page-down as well.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Praseodymi posted:

So I've got a traffic issue that us bringing my city to its knees.

Had some traffic issues with this highway connection I hadn't looked at for some time:

For some reason they all just wanted to turn around and go the way they came. So I built them a little loop, didn't work.

After some tinkering some of them even started to use this ramp to get back onto the highway and go back.

And once I deleted that they'd drive all the way to the neighbouring industrial district and use this to turn around, even though my highways are a big loop and they could just keep going.

Any suggestions?

Add the route query mod to figure out where everyone is trying to go to address the heart of the issue.

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG

xzzy posted:

Probably met with a shrug and they moved on to the next agenda item, deciding how many millions the next Sims DLC will make or if this year's Madden will reach a billion in sales.

Not surprising but would be interesting if they don't give a poo poo or if they are pissed about this. I think it would be a bit more depressing if they don't give a poo poo because there are enough dumb people to keep buying up their other lovely games.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Alkydere posted:

Have you tried elevating the train tracks? You know so that people can drive underneath them?

Well see the issue with that is that the highway is in the way. There is just enough clearance between the supports and below the highway to fit a two way road, it was originally deisgned to support a small service road between them just because, but I swapped it out for a railroad.

But, I just this second finished deleting it and runing an el-train alongside the highway, in the middle of one of the verges that are supposed to be full of trees to block the view and noise of the highway. If you plebs can't learn to road properly then you get el trains instead of green space.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Mar 17, 2015

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

Dred_furst posted:

it's one of these, they're common in the UK and they're really terrible at any traffic level.

The only place where they are used in the UK is a 2 lane road that connects with a 1 lane, and they server perfectly their as the traffic is generally light enough that is all it warrants. All UK motorway junctions have at least a roundabout at the junction; only exception that I can think of are some small exit only junctions.

They shouldn't really be used for anything beyond a 2 lane as they just can't cope with traffic.

Alakaiser
Jan 3, 2007

And the Lord Josh said, "Blessed are those cast away by Belichick, theirs is the kingdom of Denver." (Tebow 1:25)

Enos Shenk posted:

I published my Plymouth Arcology on the Workshop, people seem to dig it. It's set so it has an assload of worker slots, just like a proper monolithic hellhole of single-building industrial zone should.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=409449047

This is excellent. But now you must do what we truly need: Darco.

Darco.

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

Alakaiser posted:

Darco.

My favorite was always the Forest Arcology. I hope someone does that one.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Apparently the game managed to break 500,000 copies sold in its first week:

http://motherboard.vice.com/read/maxis-is-dead-but-this-game-is-better-than-simcity

Talk about a windfall for the studio, their next project should be pretty ambitious.

Jamsque
May 31, 2009
Fix for parks/commercial demand bug coming 'very soon if all goes well': http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?842310-No-commercial-demand&p=19056621&viewfull=1#post19056621

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG

xzzy posted:

Apparently the game managed to break 500,000 copies sold in its first week:

http://motherboard.vice.com/read/maxis-is-dead-but-this-game-is-better-than-simcity

Talk about a windfall for the studio, their next project should be pretty ambitious.

It's called Hearts of Iron 4 and it will be amazing.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
One time I was playing this game in the morning to pass some time until I could go back to sleep. Then six hours passed. I'm just glad I unlocked all the monuments now. My 3rd/4th city will be a pedestrian walking paradise.

The Mantis
Jul 19, 2004

what is yall sayin?

Jamsque posted:

On the topic of industry, gently caress industry. I had a city of 120,000 cims distributed over two medium urban centers and one huge one with no traffic problems whatsoever. I had three small non-specialized industrial areas in different corners of the map and I finally decided to lay out some large agriculture and forestry zones along one edge of my play area, and holy poo poo do I ever regret it. It generates an absolutely ungodly amount of traffic, most of which is dead set on driving halfway across the map to my one overloaded cargo port instead of using the train terminal I put right in between the forestry and the farms. I panic-rebuilt almost all of the highway junctions between that area and my cargo port, which had the net result of making that stretch of highway gently caress ugly and moving the traffic jam slightly closer to the cargo port. If I watch the queue for the port I can see vehicles popping out of existence far more frequently than actually making it to the port. If the cargo port is going to be such a high priority for industrial traffic then it needs to be changed to not have a two-way access road and have more than one entrance, cargo ports in real life can process more than one truck at a time.

Agreed. The current building set isn't even that interesting.

Is there any reason to not just spam offices to meet demand? I assume commercial needs factory goods but it doesn't seem like a huge need.

At the moment most of my city is a Houston-esque sprawl of never ending office parks.

Venti
Mar 18, 2009
I don't care how easy it is to make money in this game. I just don't want to feel like I'm wasting things when I can't get the roads to connect the very first time. So I removed cost from deleting roads:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=409507507

Just the roads, it will never do anything else. Let me plan my drat roads in peace.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Enigma89 posted:

It's called Hearts of Iron 4 and it will be amazing.

Not really, Colossal Order made Cities: Skylines. Paradox is the publisher.

I meant CO's next project should be a pretty big one.

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG

xzzy posted:

Not really, Colossal Order made Cities: Skylines. Paradox is the publisher.

I meant CO's next project should be a pretty big one.

OH poo poo, I didn't even realize that. I thought it was all Paradox.

I wonder why CO even needed a publisher with Steam around? Either way, I hope Paradox can suck off some of this extra money and make HOI4 more boss.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Enigma89 posted:

OH poo poo, I didn't even realize that. I thought it was all Paradox.

I wonder why CO even needed a publisher with Steam around? Either way, I hope Paradox can suck off some of this extra money and make HOI4 more boss.

Publishers (good ones, like Paradox) are Important Dudes To Have when you're a small rear end game company like CO is.

Alakaiser
Jan 3, 2007

And the Lord Josh said, "Blessed are those cast away by Belichick, theirs is the kingdom of Denver." (Tebow 1:25)
Publishers do a lot more than "Put game on steam"

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
Firing up the Sketchup debate again now that i'm done with work.

So I exported an fbx, and i have a folder of textures used (which I applied to the shapes which make up my basic building). I put these in the import folder and when I choose the model from the list, nothing shows up.

I've spent the last hour trying to find a tutorial but there's nothing. Hoping to find an obscure reddit post in the meantime explaining it step by step in detail.

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae

Enigma89 posted:

Tiny company with an unproven track record dabbling in niche titles that don't exactly sell well. My guess is Paradox bankrolled Skylines and are probably taking most of the revenue. CO most likely have a sub-contractor relationship with them. I could be wrong of course.

Diviance
Feb 11, 2004

Television rules the nation.

Heaven's Hearth. 140k population and growing with no real issues. Very little industrial, two very small sections (most commercial goods are imported from trains and cargo harbors. About 7,000 people use the metro a week, 700 use bus, 400 use train, 200 use airplane and about the same use boat.

Split between three area's, with each one a test bed for variants on the "Skywalk" grids.

The largest area in the foreground there is the busiest, using the same grid a goon posted the other day.

The second area (far back) is using a variant that gives the skywalk a wavy look and makes the whole grid a bit more uniform while allowing for proper room for most of the medium and smaller service buildings. Seems to be the best for space efficiency and traffic but I need to make the third area larger to be certain.

The third area (back right) is the weirdest. It has the cleanest traffic (it is also the smallest area), but it is the least space efficient. It is a weird amalgamation of the skywalk grid and the "traffic trident" posted earlier. It functions well ingame but I can only imagine the hell it would be getting somewhere in that area in real life.

Further work must be done...

Jamsque
May 31, 2009

The Mantis posted:

Agreed. The current building set isn't even that interesting.

Is there any reason to not just spam offices to meet demand? I assume commercial needs factory goods but it doesn't seem like a huge need.

At the moment most of my city is a Houston-esque sprawl of never ending office parks.

Offices seem the better choice at all stages of the game because they only generate commuter traffic (which can take advantage of public transport), whereas industrial generates commuter traffic and goods traffic. Maybe this will change once the commercial demand bug is fixed, but for now it seems like the traffic impact of having all of your commercial sites import most of their goods is far, far smaller than the traffic impact of creating industrial zones to supply your commerce.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Alakaiser posted:

Darco.

That's a funny way to spell "launch arcology". Wanna blast my tinymans into the cruel void of outer space.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Any really good let's plays that stand out?

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I seem to have stagnated around 30k population. Occasionally I'll get a tick or two of industrial or commercial demand, but nothing in residential for ages, which is a shame because I've got a brand new suburb laid out and ready to go across the interstate. Any ideas?

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
Has anyone figured out what a good min/max length is for a city block? Imagine too long and people wouldn't walk the entire thing. I want to build a walkable city, but I don't want to over do it with pedestrian paths, and I want to find an efficient distance for intersections.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Chard posted:

That's a funny way to spell "launch arcology". Wanna blast my tinymans into the cruel void of outer space.

Seriously. Launch arcology is the best for so many reasons. Looking forward to seeing little cims milling around under the glass dome.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

ToastyPotato posted:

Has anyone figured out what a good min/max length is for a city block? Imagine too long and people wouldn't walk the entire thing. I want to build a walkable city, but I don't want to over do it with pedestrian paths, and I want to find an efficient distance for intersections.

People will walk the entire length of your city if they want to. I watched a lady get off at one of my train stations, ignore the bus stop in front of her and walk about 10 very long blocks away to her house.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
All right just waking up from a migraine, gonna work a bit, then later I'll check about implementing the comments you guys said about the map, as I agree with all of them. I could definitely rework the starting position. I had put it there initially for the flatter ground. I can put it closer down to the big lake if that sound like a good idea? It's more central. The only thing that's going to be a bitching time is getting the highway there but I'll figure it out.

Anyway, I'll probably start cracking on my second pass tonight. I'm also thinking of putting a few more fertile spots, as long as they don't appear too much out of place.

----

Anyone tried the mod that enable achievements with mods? Because BY GOD I will get them all and so many mods seems amazing I'm torn up.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo

Rookersh posted:

Yeah, I'm building a psuedo Seattle right now off my home city, and it's kind of incredible how the congestion/bad traffic areas in game are the same areas we have bad traffic/congestion with in real life.

To be fair, it's not to scale or anything, and I've got a third of the roads, but it really does nail home that "add more roads" isn't really a fix. The bigger issue is those areas are just naturally congested.

Make the east side 405. You'd want 30 miles of unmoving traffic.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Lester Shy posted:

I seem to have stagnated around 30k population. Occasionally I'll get a tick or two of industrial or commercial demand, but nothing in residential for ages, which is a shame because I've got a brand new suburb laid out and ready to go across the interstate. Any ideas?

Do you have any services beyond just electricity and water set up for that area? I've found that when a separated area doesn't want to grow, plopping down a couple things like an elementary school or fire house raises the worth enough to make a couple buildings appear, and once one is there the rest follow pretty effortlessly. I also lower residential taxes occasionally and I don't know what that does but I like to think it helps!!

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

StarMinstrel posted:

Anyone tried the mod that enable achievements with mods? Because BY GOD I will get them all and so many mods seems amazing I'm torn up.

I've been using it without any issues. I got some kind of cheevo last night while running it, but I was too busy fussing with highways to care which one it was. I think this game broke me :ohdear:

give me thread
Dec 29, 2008

The Mantis posted:

I tried this and for a city with all offices and no industry the R and C demand drops down to zero and nothing changes. So yeah, you need industry.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
I was dreaming about Highway placement last night. ugh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Also just like in real life sometimes government stimulation is needed to get the economy going if it stagnates. Every building you plop needs workers, and R demand is entirely a function of demand for workers. Plop down a freight station? Bam you just generated a bunch of jobs, which stimulates residential demand, which grows enough to generate some I or C demand and suddenly the machine is running again.

The big problem with the park bug is that it reduces demand for C but without providing jobs.

Also C and I sort of share the same demand pool. To get a balanced economy you should always be trying to kill your R demand and only building the absolute minimum of shops and factories needed. You want as few shops or factories as possible as they generate a lions share of traffic. Build as much office as you can possibly get away with, only build as much industry as your local commercial zones need to supply them with goods, and at the same time build the minimum amount of commercial zones.

Basically look at everything in the game existing in support of your residential zones. Maximize residential, minimize everything else.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Mar 17, 2015