Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Scrapez posted:

I honestly thought Mrs. Kettleman was demanding a trial because she knew her husband would be found guilty and then she would be living it up with the money.

I'm not sure that is the case, though.

I think it might actually be the case. She's the conniving one, not that she's actually any good at it, but she's still the brains of the outfit.

Though... I still doubt she went into it with a plan to get him sent to jail for 30 years while she lives large off the cash, but when it presented itself as an opportunity I don't think she had much of a problem with doing so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

a cop posted:

Breaking Bad almost always had good previews in that way.

Curious... any good examples off the top of your head?

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I don't think Betsy is scheming against her husband. She's just got a particular brand of stubbornness, looking at problems in terms of the perfect solution she wants instead of the optimal solution that's possible.

Expecting that messes can be perfectly resolved with willpower, professional expertise, and "loopholes" is an attitude we've seen from other characters, like young Jimmy and Ted Beneke.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Steve Yun posted:

Curious... any good examples off the top of your head?

I went back looking for previews on youtube after I posted that but couldn't find any (besides the season finale's), but I remember that the previews were always really great at misleading people. Breaking Bad ended with a lot of "what the fucks gonna happen next" deals and they almost never actually spoiled anything.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
BCS 101 Uno Live Discussion
Podcast Dropbox Mirror

BCS 102 Mijo Live Discussion
Podcast Dropbox Mirror

BCS 103 Nacho Live Discussion
Podcast Dropbox Mirror

BCS 104 Hero Live Discussion
Podcast Dropbox Mirror

BCS 105 Jello Alpine Shepherd Boy Live Discussion
Podcast Dropbox Mirror

BCS 106 Five-O Live Discussion
Podcast Dropbox Mirror

BCS 107 Bingo Live Discussion
Podcast Dropbox Mirror

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Oh man, they have the actress who played Betsy Kettleman on the podcast this week, and it's really great so far. Apparently the Kettleman actors, in their efforts to really get into the roles and be able to act like a married couple, would go around town roleplaying the Kettlemans at, like, the grocery store or a coffee shop. It's hilarious to imagine.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Supercar Gautier posted:

I don't think Betsy is scheming against her husband. She's just got a particular brand of stubbornness, looking at problems in terms of the perfect solution she wants instead of the optimal solution that's possible.

Expecting that messes can be perfectly resolved with willpower, professional expertise, and "loopholes" is an attitude we've seen from other characters, like young Jimmy and Ted Beneke.

Not so much scheming, but.. that she's totally willing to live with the negative side-effects of her intransigence.

Ditocoaf posted:

Oh man, they have the actress who played Betsy Kettleman on the podcast this week, and it's really great so far. Apparently the Kettleman actors, in their efforts to really get into the roles and be able to act like a married couple, would go around town roleplaying the Kettlemans at, like, the grocery store or a coffee shop. It's hilarious to imagine.

Oh my god.

Next spinoff idea!

Secret Agent X23
May 11, 2005

Dave, this conversation can serve no purpose anymore.

hailthefish posted:

Not so much scheming, but.. that she's totally willing to live with the negative side-effects of her intransigence.

Oh my god.

Next spinoff idea!

Well, there is that sense of entitlement she has. Mr. Kettleman "earned" that money because he worked weekends and holidays. Just because you're salaried doesn't mean you don't deserve overtime (she says).

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
It really is a shame that they had to change the name of that one episode. Going to look really weird when all 9 episodes end in O except that one.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Nail Rat posted:

It really is a shame that they had to change the name of that one episode. Going to look really weird when all 9 episodes end in O except that one.

:spergin:

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

I mean, apparently calling that episode "Jello" was one of the original inspirations for the whole idea. Then they had named every episode with an "O" name before they were finally told that "Jello" wasn't going to work out, and that totally killed their enthusiasm for the naming scheme. "Alpine Shepherd Boy" is basically a big passive-aggressive "ugh screw this" to the fact that they can't name the episode "Jello".

Cake Smashing Boob
Nov 5, 2008

I support black genocide
This show is much better than breaking bad ever was. And breaking bad was pretty great.

MarksMan
Mar 18, 2001
Nap Ghost

Cake Smashing Boob posted:

This show is much better than breaking bad ever was. And breaking bad was pretty great.

I can't say I agree with that statement. "Better Call Saul" is a great show, but I can't really say it's better than Breaking Bad. But I guess everyone has different opinions

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I'm beginning to see how this show is going to coalesce for later seasons. In Breaking Bad, the focus was on Walt and his motivation of providing for his family which descends him into a life of crime. Saul was a facilitator for a lot of what Walt and Jesse got up to. In BCS we've been introduced to three potential criminal clients for Jimmy, each with different motivations and presumably different weaknesses in their approach to crime. It seems like each of the three are being set up to go deeper into their criminal lives and to drag Jimmy into the dirt with them.

The Kettlemans are pretty inept for criminals and remind me a little of Walt in Season 2 who had no idea what he was doing until he got in touch with Saul, who helped him establish his business. Another parallel is that, like Walt, the Kettlemans want to keep a clean public image at all costs. The Kettlemans could sure use a nail salon, assuming they find some way out of giving away their ill-gotten money. I was almost sure this episode that they were going to force Jimmy into being their client., and I would not be surprised if he ends up with them by the end of the season.

We already know Mike will transition into a hitman / cleaner type and now we also know that he's motivated to provide for his granddaughter because he feels responsible for the death of her father and his son. His story also parallel's Walt's in that we can expect him to get into crime to provide for his family, motivated out of guilt instead of pride. His backstory also gives some context to why he was so protective of Jesse later on and didn't want to see him corrupted by Walt. I think it's unclear how Jimmy can help him but it's pretty obvious that Jimmy can learn a lot about crime from Mike.

Nacho may not be as insane as Tuco but he's also not the brightest guy around. Jimmy was dead on when he told Nacho it was his fault he got caught so easily and that it was a miracle Jimmy got him free. I think we can expect Nacho to get into more trouble with the law as his crimes become more and more drastic. I think he'll be the catalyst that gets Jimmy into criminal law and we can probably expect him to be a big antagonist for Jimmy too.

I think we will see the opposite of Breaking Bad here. Where BB was a show about Walt choosing to become a worse person based on and occasionally despite his present circumstances, BCS seems like it will be about Jimmy trying to do the right thing while being constantly punished for it by circumstances. Instead of Walt going around destroying the lives of those around him, I think we will see Jimmy slowly destroyed by the Walts and Kettlemans and Nachos he cannot help but be involved with.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Secret Agent X23 posted:

Well, there is that sense of entitlement she has. Mr. Kettleman "earned" that money because he worked weekends and holidays. Just because you're salaried doesn't mean you don't deserve overtime (she says).

I'd bet she's the one who convinced him to embezzle in the first place.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So how are the ratings for BCS? Is it strong enough to continue or is it going to go the way of so many shows that I've ever enjoyed.

I miss you Journeyman

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Asema posted:

So how are the ratings for BCS? Is it strong enough to continue or is it going to go the way of so many shows that I've ever enjoyed.

I miss you Journeyman

It's been signed on for a second season.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Asema posted:

I miss you Journeyman

Wiki says they're hovering in the mid two millions per episode, don't know how good that is for a cable show. At least we're getting at least another thirteen episodes in season two, bought and paid for afaik.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

To be fair, I doubt any of us are going to forget it looking back. Everyone who knows it is going to think "goddamn it this is supposed to be 'Jello'," no matter how much we care.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Colonial Air Force posted:

I'd bet she's the one who convinced him to embezzle in the first place.

No doubt. She reminds me of Lady Macbeth.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Takes No Damage posted:

Wiki says they're hovering in the mid two millions per episode, don't know how good that is for a cable show. At least we're getting at least another thirteen episodes in season two, bought and paid for afaik.

It's doing at least as well as Breaking Bad ever did until the final 8 episodes, when they hyped up the ending to the story and ratings went through the roof. Unless something changes I doubt season 2 will be the end of BCS.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

To be fair, I doubt any of us are going to forget it looking back. Everyone who knows it is going to think "goddamn it this is supposed to be 'Jello'," no matter how much we care.

We'll always pronounce it "Jello".

Even if they spell it "Jell˙".

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Since Mike appeared I assumed Saul was going to be the one who gets him access to his granddaughter, seems like that's not going to be a thing his daughter in law willingly does.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
I may have missed this but what exactly is Mike going to do with the money and how? And how is Jimmy going to account for the money he's already put into his books not being there when he files his accounts or something

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

thehustler posted:

I may have missed this but what exactly is Mike going to do with the money and how? And how is Jimmy going to account for the money he's already put into his books not being there when he files his accounts or something

The money went exactly where Jimmy said it went - the district attorney. That is the only way the plea deal works.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

thehustler posted:

Mike was taking the money to the DA, which was part of the deal Kim got for the Kettlemans that they refused. By taking that choice out of their hands, Jimmy left them with no choice but to go back to Kim and take her deal, or else Mr Kettleman was facing 30 years in prison without even the stolen money staying with Mrs Kettleman and the kids as cold comfort.

As for Jimmy's cash, the money he already spent was all "under the table", and the money he earned for his Elder Law cases went to replace the bribe the Kettlemans paid him, so he's now back to zero - the money he spent matches the money he earned, though any close inspection would show he spent it before he earned it (hardly remarkable for a lot of businesses, especially at the time).

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

The money went to the county to "make it whole again". Obviously not ALL of it is there, because of the boat and stuff, but as much of it as possible, which is probably all that's necessary for the plea deal to work.

Jimmy paid back his bribe into that, mostly for principle reasons (because like I said, it's not as if that sack could contain the entirety of all the money Craig ever embezzled). It's unclear whether he paid back all of it, or just what he had on hand in cash, but it was a big enough hit that it meant he couldn't keep dreaming about that extravagant office.

Even though he'd already spent a lot of that money on suits and stuff, he earned back a bunch of it from his Elder Law work. The bribe ended up being something like a loan: he's still ahead of where he started, because he has the suits and the publicity and the business is still rolling in.

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Mar 17, 2015

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Does it have to be "goddamn it"? Can it just be "haha, it was supposed to be Jello but they couldn't. oh well. it's a good show and that doesn't matter at all"

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
Do we know how Mike has returned it? In person? That'd be suss, surely?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Episode 5 could've been called Nocebo.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Cake Smashing Boob posted:

I think it's too early to make this call, and its hard to see this show giving us some of the really awesome intense scenes Breaking Bad gave us. This is, however, unquestionably better than Breaking Bad's first season IMO.

The Ninth Layer posted:

I think we will see the opposite of Breaking Bad here. Where BB was a show about Walt choosing to become a worse person based on and occasionally despite his present circumstances, BCS seems like it will be about Jimmy trying to do the right thing while being constantly punished for it by circumstances. Instead of Walt going around destroying the lives of those around him, I think we will see Jimmy slowly destroyed by the Walts and Kettlemans and Nachos he cannot help but be involved with.

This is what I really love about the direction of the show and Jimmy. I think one reason I had my reserves about a show focused on Saul was that I assumed he would be "Saul" from the beginning. The fact that he is actually trying to be a good person who just wants a legitimate business here makes this so much more compelling.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Thanks for posting these

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.

thehustler posted:

Do we know how Mike has returned it? In person? That'd be suss, surely?

He's building an army of robots to return it. They're small robots so he needs one robot for each bill since that's all they can carry.

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."

a cop posted:

I went back looking for previews on youtube after I posted that but couldn't find any (besides the season finale's), but I remember that the previews were always really great at misleading people. Breaking Bad ended with a lot of "what the fucks gonna happen next" deals and they almost never actually spoiled anything.
I would like to see some more cliffhangers in this show. With the exception of the first episode, the endings don't hint much about what is going to happen next. I'll probably regret saying this when there's a major cliffhanger for the season finale.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Last Chance posted:

Does it have to be "goddamn it"? Can it just be "haha, it was supposed to be Jello but they couldn't. oh well. it's a good show and that doesn't matter at all"

No.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
yeah it really doesn't matter. but surely they could have found an alternate word that ends with "o"

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Scrapez posted:

I honestly thought Mrs. Kettleman was demanding a trial because she knew her husband would be found guilty and then she would be living it up with the money.

I'm not sure that is the case, though.

I think it was more of her own delusion that they could be proven innocent. She keeps not acknowledging the money until the very last possible moment, so it's like something she's just actively decided to ignore in her own mind. She's clearly the more devious of the two though, so I do think she wouldn't be crushed if her husband went to jail and she was left holding the $1.6 million bag.

Also, Saul definitely presents murder as a very viable option. It's possible that he knows Jesse and Walt won't agree to it each time he suggests it, but it certainly seems like the method he'd prefer to go with. In a sense he's looking out for his clients: Killing Badger and Hank would have been much safer for Walt. Those moments also really showed what an rear end in a top hat Walt was, because he kind of thinks about killing Badger for a minute while Jesse immediately says it's not happening.

My impression is that he's not against "nuclear options" including murder and going to the cops when the people involved have skin in the game, so to speak. If they're criminals or cops/DEA agents, I feel like Saul is okay with them facing the consequences for that, including murder, jail, and getting killed in jail because you're a rat. What he's not cool with is involving people outside "the life," which is why he gets so pissed off when he finds out Brock was poisoned with something more serious than a little stomachace.

You can see bits of this in Jimmy as well, I feel like much of what he does for the Kettleman's (most notably the phone call warning) is because he wants to keep their innocent kids safe.

Nail Rat posted:

It's doing at least as well as Breaking Bad ever did until the final 8 episodes, when they hyped up the ending to the story and ratings went through the roof. Unless something changes I doubt season 2 will be the end of BCS.

Yeah, it's having a much better first season than Breaking Bad, which makes sense as it's mostly the same people and they all have more experience at what they're doing. I expect BCS to run as long as the creators want it to, Breaking Bad went a LONG way to putting AMC on the map, and while ratings are important in the short term shows like BCS, Breaking Bad and Mad Men tend to do big business on streaming services and DVD sales, which along with the prestige they bring make them more or less surefire renewals, though you get the occasional drama about how many episodes per season (such as Breaking Bad having to hash things out a bit with AMC regarding its final season). I remember Mad Men, for instance, earned AMC (or someone at any rate, I don't know exactly how it works in T.V. land) something like $200 million+ for Netflix streaming rights alone.

To put it another way, they stuck with Breaking Bad when it was getting low ratings and only a dedicated few had heard of it for the first 1-3 seasons. No way do they not stick with BCS when it's building on an established brand and doing excellent ratings.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Haven't kept up with the thread (over 1000 new posts since I last saw it) but holy holy holy loving poo poo this show is so, so good. In every possible way.

Secret Agent X23
May 11, 2005

Dave, this conversation can serve no purpose anymore.

NowonSA posted:

I think it was more of her own delusion that they could be proven innocent. She keeps not acknowledging the money until the very last possible moment, so it's like something she's just actively decided to ignore in her own mind. She's clearly the more devious of the two though, so I do think she wouldn't be crushed if her husband went to jail and she was left holding the $1.6 million bag.

To a great extent, she reminds me of a spoiled, stubborn four-year-old. She would have been the kid standing next to the broken vase insisting she didn't do it although she was the only one in the room when it fell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Secret Agent X23 posted:

To a great extent, she reminds me of a spoiled, stubborn four-year-old. She would have been the kid standing next to the broken vase insisting she didn't do it although she was the only one in the room when it fell.

And somehow, someone would have let her get away with it, so she spends the rest of her life thinking of that as the "right" way to do things.

• Locked thread